• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Well the Mediatek is no slouch but the 650 seems to be faster than the 810s so yes it's quite an upgrade, particularly in single-thread operations.

But the Mediatek is still more than enough for everyday usage.
650 and 652 are both 28nm, 810 and 808 were both 20nm. The 650s are also clocked a bit lower.

650 and 652 are both 28nm, 810 and 808 were both 20nm. The 650s are also clocked a bit lower.

Yes, but the A57 was a such a mess power-wise only Samsung and their 14nm process managed to control it. Both Mediatek and Huawei didn't even bother with A57.

The A72 is such an improvement that even with a lower clock and older process it should be much better.

kharma45

Yes, it can. 1-2 hours SoT is Nexus 5 territory, absolute garbage and can't be normal for the G4. Can you check the battery stats?

As in these?

This is from a few days ago

Bckk4uZ.png

3OAtTvM.png

MQVpVDK.png

As are these on a different day

Groof

Something is definitely wrong there. See what kind of apps you have installed and uninstall ones that might be culprits. Or you just got one with a shoddy battery out of the box. Sucks, but it happens. Warranty that shit.

Massa

Something is definitely wrong there. See what kind of apps you have installed and uninstall ones that might be culprits. Or you just got one with a shoddy battery out of the box. Sucks, but it happens. Warranty that shit.

I would do a factory reset and try using the phone with just the stock apps for a day or two before going that route.

LG's software sucks though, hard. I have CM on my G2, it's such a huge difference.

It's a month old phone.

I have g3 and it lasts 3.5 hrs of sot some times.

remove the battery. turn off the phone charge fully for whole night or for long ass time and see how it works. have screen brightness to auto. hope something helps.

I would do a factory reset and try using the phone with just the stock apps for a day or two before going that route.

LG's software sucks though,
hard. I have CM on my G2, it's such a huge difference.

I have to disagree with that. what part of software is bad? It is normal software. you can turn off smart notice and stuff after that there is nothing there that is out of ordinary.

kharma45

This is what's currently running in the background.

I've no idea if this is far too many or normal for Android. Feels like a lot.

LG's software sucks though, hard. I have CM on my G2, it's such a huge difference.

Tried the factory reset route but didn't go with only the bare essential apps, a lot of apps I need installed.

I have g3 and it lasts 3.5 hrs of sot some times.

remove the battery. turn off the phone charge fully for whole night or for long ass time and see how it works. have screen brightness to auto. hope something helps.

I have to disagree with that. what part of software is bad? It is normal software. you can turn off smart notice and stuff after that there is nothing there that is out of ordinary.

Screen brightness is on auto, and LG's system for measuring what it should be is awful.

wilflare

Is there any reason why sometimes (on a new install) the phone manages to grab my display picture from my Google account and sometimes, it does not?
I've been setting up my phone multiple times and I can't seem to find out a specific reason why

kharma45

Try uninstalling Facebook. It pings the GPS a lot. Same with Speed Test.

Use the mobile site instead through a browser.

Cheers I'll drop SpeedTest. More reluctant to drop Facebook though, it also doesn't have Location access on my phone. We'll see how removing SpeedTest goes.

Those pics look like my nexus 9 where tablet idle destroys the battery life for some reason I can't even grasp (even with no apps post factory reset). Then android system. Then screen. lol. Gotta dump this shit for an ipad but them canadian prices with our dollar ugh.

That's just how android is. It's totally random. Could literally be ANYTHING. Try uninstalling every single app on the phone and slowly begin adding them back. Definitely don't add facebook back that's a killer on this OS.

Noema

Troubleshooting Android battery drains is literally one of the worst tech nightmares I can think of.

In Kharma's case, there doesn't seem to be anything outrageous draining his battery. I also suspect he got a bad battery out of the box. Barely 2 hours of SoT when the screen is taking up the lion's share of battery usage seems to point towards that.

It'd be easy to test this since the G4 has a replaceable battery.

kharma45

Troubleshooting Android battery drains is literally one of the worst tech nightmares I can think of.

In Kharma's case, there doesn't seem to be anything outrageous draining his battery. I also suspect he got a bad battery out of the box. Barely 2 hours of SoT when the screen is taking up the lion's share of battery usage seems to point towards that.

It'd be easy to test this since the G4 has a replaceable battery.

Yeah I think I'll stop in with Vodafone when I get a chance and see if they'll do a swap for me. I am now leaning towards dodgy battery as someone else mentioned earlier.

clav

Yeah I think I'll stop in with Vodafone when I get a chance and see if they'll do a swap for me. I am now leaning towards dodgy battery as someone else mentioned earlier.

One thing at a time.

My findings are from a Galaxy S3, which I've had for 3-4 years with the same battery.

No Love

Banned
It's installed yeah.

It can't be that huge a drain, can it?

Massive drain. Here's what I suggest: root and custom ROM your G4, or at leastleast put on a debloated stock ROM. I'm using Amplify and Greenify to handle wakelocks. I'll post a guide for Amplify thst reduces wakelocks almost entirely. Also stock G4 ROM is bloated as fuck with random software.

ThisOne

Any impressions here of the 5X? Debating whether to get it now or wait until September to see the new Nexus models. I know the 6 is considered a great phone but it's a bit out of my price range and is a little too large for my taste.

EmiPrime

Any impressions here of the 5X? Debating whether to get it now or wait until September to see the new Nexus models. I know the 6 is considered a great phone but it's a bit out of my price range and is a little too large for my taste.

What are you currently using?

kharma45

Massive drain. Here's what I suggest: root and custom ROM your G4, or at leastleast put on a debloated stock ROM. I'm using Amplify and Greenify to handle wakelocks. I'll post a guide for Amplify thst reduces wakelocks almost entirely. Also stock G4 ROM is bloated as fuck with random software.

I'd rather not get back into custom ROMs again. Had enough of it back when I had my HTC Hero and Nexus One, plus certain apps I have won't run with root nor do I want to invalidate my warranty.

oh Christ , lol

zatara

All this wakelock stuff is just something you have to get used to with Android. Its kinda keeps you on your toes, one day you get through the whole day the next you don't get through the evening. One day Chrome is eating battery like a man going down on a chick the first time, the next day Google Play Services plays with your emotions.

ctfg23

On my 6P I've noticed that the battery life seems to sometimes skip percentages. Is this normal? I don't think there a problem with the battery itself, because my battery life has been pretty great.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
On my 6P I've noticed that the battery life seems to sometimes skip percentages. Is this normal? I don't think there a problem with the battery itself, because my battery life has been pretty great.
Does the phone have normal battery life? If so, relax.

It doesn't work like that. Good luck figuring out what drains Google play services.

It's not about completly denying wakelocks, but restricting their frequency.

And I agree, play services is a mess, but you can restrict it without breaking it.

Amplify is a godsend.

So now Xiaomi is locking their bootloaders and will manually approve unlocking it.

Yeah that's going to help them. Dumb decision over dumb decision.

Jigolo

Somethings not right here. If the 5.3" screen size is to be believed how is the G5 taller than the G4 while having a smaller screen and smaller top and bottom bezels

And button placement

Somethings not right here. If the 5.3" screen size is to be believed how is the G5 taller than the G4 while having a smaller screen and smaller top and bottom bezels

And button placement
That page says the screen should be 5.6" (I guess maybe they just calculated it using the diagram as reference). Also maybe the whole detachable bottom could be adding more height?

Picked up the 5X and really liking it. USB-C is great and the lightness of the phone is a godsend. It does feel a bit cheap, but the design is nice. The standby is unholy compared to what I get on my previous 5.1 phones. Main issues I have are:

32GB
Screen is mediocre
External speakers is ass
Cheap feeling

Not really getting any huge noticeable stutters yet although I don't use Snapchat so...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom