• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have anything useful to contribute?

Anyways... For those of you with root that want to minimize idle drain and get your wakelocks under control, follow this guide. And also follow the testing section if you want to find any wakelocks the guide missed.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/general/guide-0-0-hour-idle-battery-drain-stock-t2973588

Note: Amplify requires Xposed and root access.

It's just funny to see what counts as a solution for a shitty system-wide problem.

Saiyan-Rox

After the mess that was the N9, no thanks.

enough.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 9 lol

I don't understand why we can't at least drill down our wakelocks. It's absurd.

Saiyan-Rox

the nexus 9 was googles fault tbh

wanting to go with nvidia was a huge fucking mistake.

I guess in a way they both fucked up unless it was 100% Google's idea with it?

Least the Nvidia Chip in the Pixel seems fine....Should be better once Google gets the software sorted out

Or at the rate Google is going I should say IF they get the software sorted out.

Swear if my N6P disconnects from my Wi-Fi again for no good reason ima freak out.

Noema

Might try Amplify just to get an idea of why even with Doze my N6 doesn't sleep as "deeply" as it should. I get about 1-1.5% hourly idle battery drain which, while not awful, isn't amazing either.

Nevertheless, even then I can easily break 6h SoT consistently:

jokkir

Hey guys, let's root our phones, install custom roms, add spoilers, rocket boosters, and glitter to the phones to make it function like how it should since the very beginning.

No Love

Banned
Hey guys, let's root our phones, install custom roms, add spoilers, rocket boosters, and glitter to the phones to make it function like how it should in the very beginning.

I've been doing all that since the Galaxy S1. I remember when devs figured out that there was an extra 56MBish RAM that could be freed up in the kernel from redundant hardware crap and everyone got a free RAM boost LOL. Android been goofed out since the '00s 😄

Groof

Might try Amplify just to get an idea of why even with Doze my N6 doesn't sleep as "deeply" as it should. I get about 1-1.5% hourly idle battery drain which, while not awful, isn't amazing either.

What kind of witchcraft is this

No Love

Banned

Jesus. 7H SOT! Maybe with sd 820.

jetsetrez

Anyone else still not gotten the Tap 10 promo in Android Pay? I haven't gotten it, which is a bummer since I bet I'm among their highest engagement Android Pay users.

Also still haven't gotten the Google launcher update that brings normalized app icons.

Toki767

Anyone else still not gotten the Tap 10 promo in Android Pay? I haven't gotten it, which is a bummer since I bet I'm among their highest engagement Android Pay users.

Also still haven't gotten the Google launcher update that brings normalized app icons.

Haven't gotten it either. Though Samsung Pay is my default thing anyway. I figured it was a Nexus only promo.

Maiar_m

yet tablets like the Nvidia Shield run fine for some reason

Not really, at least that's not my personal experience with the Shield Tablet which had horrible difficulties "waking up" (lag and screen freezes when unlocking the device for up to 5 minutes). Granted this could have been the RAM being fucked up, same with how the screen glitched randomly on me, but it did put me off Nvidia's Android output for a while.

Bloodember

Not really, at least that's not my personal experience with the Shield Tablet which had horrible difficulties "waking up" (lag and screen freezes when unlocking the device for up to 5 minutes). Granted this could have been the RAM being fucked up, same with how the screen glitched randomly on me, but it did put me off Nvidia's Android output for a while.
I have none of these issues. My shield tablet runs great.

Peru

Hey guys, let's root our phones, install custom roms, add spoilers, rocket boosters, and glitter to the phones to make it function like how it should since the very beginning.

I don't, which might explain why I never experience some of the horrible battery times people report in this thread.

yogloo

Mine is perfectly fine. My only complain is lackluster battery life.

Groof

i do not understand this second screen thing. Doesn't LG make oled displays? why do not use a bigger oled display instead of 2 LCD ones and just lit the pixels you need ?
That's exactly what they're doing though. They just count the "main" display as a separate thing when counting the size.

Exactly why it's never a solution to any problem. It's literally the Windows Mobile way of doing things. I'm not 16 anymore and don't have the time to fiddle with roms, kernels and all that shit. If you need resort to such measures, then your product is garbage.

Can't believe this is still a thing

It really shouldn't be, but under the now pretty coat, Android is still garbage.

I don't, which might explain why I never experience some of the horrible battery times people report in this thread.

Neither does kharma and yet he has horrendous battery life on his G4.

jetsetrez

Exactly why it's never a solution to any problem. It's literally the Windows Mobile way of doing things. I'm not 16 anymore and don't have the time to fiddle with roms, kernels and all that shit. If you need resort to such measures, then your product is garbage.

It really shouldn't be, but under the now pretty coat, Android is still garbage.
The bitter, cynical part of your tag is certainly earned. Sheesh.

My Nexus 5X is an absolutely wonderful experience, and my battery life is fantastic. I couldn't give less of a shit about custom ROMs. Stock Android and the Google launcher are fantastic and smooth and beautiful.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
*when it works

Get a wake lock issue and good luck!

Not available on Nexus 5 with 6.0.1? Facebook pls.

custom ROMs have seen a dive as of late tbh

Personally I'm using a cataclysm mod/ROM just to add those small things that are missing like swipe from the left and quick pin etc

CyanogenMod is still the ROM of choice to update devices to new Android versions when your manufacturer isn't playing ball.

AndyD

aka andydumi
i do not understand this second screen thing. Doesn't LG make oled displays? why do not use a bigger oled display instead of 2 LCD ones and just lit the pixels you need ?

They do, but I don't think the screen is OLED. LCD IPS seems to be their preffered screen recently.

And even so, a smaller display still probably uses less power than a selectively used OLED. Someone did a breakdown on power somewhere on xda and it seems to be more efficient this way.

That said, it seems like a taller but narrower and thinner phone. I think I am OK with it, but I'll need to touch it to see. LG are still kinds of thin bezels, so I hope this continues.

Saiyan-Rox

Not available on Nexus 5 with 6.0.1? Facebook pls.

CyanogenMod is still the ROM of choice to update devices to new Android versions when your manufacturer isn't playing ball.

Oh Cyanogen is still top tear for older non supported devices or current ones which have a layout you hate. it's just a shame how long it takes to get stable. it's to the point now where Cyanogen gets stable just when the new version of Android hits anyway.

Zoe

The Walmart next to me actually didn't have the transmitter near the front. It was somewhere off to the side in the grocery section.

23qwerty

the pixel c's standby time is pretty remarkable, I've had it for almost a week now and it's still at 63% after only charging it at the start

JamzyT

Neo Member
HTC nexus rumour mill...
Llabtoofer is a credible source for all things HTC.
Hes posted the alleged codenames of the 2 HTC Nexus phones.

In spite of the year only been a few weeks ago, yesterday saw some news coming through which if true, is likely to be one of the big news topics of the year. If you missed the previous coverage then to briefly recap, a report came through detailing that the next Nexus smartphone will be manufactured by HTC. A move which would see the two companies join forces once again for another Nexus device and following in the footsteps of the original Nexus smartphone and the much more recently released Nexus 9 tablet.

However, that was not the end of the news, as the report also detailed that HTC will not just be manufacturing one Nexus handset, but will actually be making and releasing two Nexus handsets this year. One is said to be a 5-inch sized smartphone, while the second is said to be a larger 5.5-inch sized Nexus smartphone. Other than their sizes, next to no further information was provided by the original source information.

The original information came from a tipster in China through Weibo and today, another tipster, LlabTooFeR, has also joined the HTC Nexus conversation. In a tweet sent out this morning by the tipster, LlabTooFeR is stating that the the two Nexus smartphones by HTC will come with the codenames ‘T50’ and ‘T55’. LlabTooFeR does make it clear that these code names “allegedly” relate to the HTC Nexus smartphones, although, there does seem to be some relationship with the codenames, as they do seem to clearly be in line with the already reported sizes of the two devices. Therefore, the assumption would be the T50 is the 5-inch option, while the T-55 is the 5.5-inch variant. Of course, while the latest tip, albeit from a different tipster, does seem to add further weight to the notion that HTC might indeed be releasing the next Nexus smartphone(s), it is still worth remembering that this is still very much a rumor. A very early rumor and until anything concrete comes though, will remain as such. That all said, the latest is the two Nexus smartphones from HTC are codenamed T50 and T55.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/01/rumor-htc-nexus-smartphones-codenamed-t50-t55.html

danthefan

Hope this is the right thread to ask in, I'm considering a Kindle Fire tablet but just wondering how locked down the operating system is, can you get the regular Google Play store on it without rooting the device?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom