• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

So I just tried out the Slow Motion on the 6P

Is it normal for the picture to get really really dark even with the house lights on? I couldn't see shit through the screen. could be normal i've just never used it before.

ctfg23

Anyone tried Project Fi? I currently have MetroPCS and don't know if it's worth switching.

Is it normal for the picture to get really really dark even with the house lights on? I couldn't see shit through the screen. could be normal i've just never used it before.
Does it happen outside as well? Mine gets darker inside but the lighting in my house kinda sucks. Outside it works fine for me.

Saiyan-Rox

Anyone tried Project Fi? I currently have MetroPCS and don't know if it's worth switching.

Does it happen outside as well? Mine gets darker inside but the lighting in my house kinda sucks. Outside it works fine for me.

It's too late to try so will tomorrow but in the house with the main lights on i couldn't see anything in the screen. But on Picture/normal video the image was fine it just got insanely dark when switching to slow motion

Exactly why it's never a solution to any problem. It's literally the Windows Mobile way of doing things. I'm not 16 anymore and don't have the time to fiddle with roms, kernels and all that shit. If you need resort to such measures, then your product is garbage.

It really shouldn't be, but under the now pretty coat, Android is still garbage.

Neither does kharma and yet he has horrendous battery life on his G4.
take your whiny bs to the ios thread

No Love

Banned
take your whiny bs to the ios thread

I love Android but what he's saying isn't fully untrue. It's sad that Android is so fragmented and inconsistent. Devs really do so much for the OS while the lazy manufacturers half-ass everything and pump in bloat and inefficiency.

It's kinda like how Bethesda pushes out Elder Scrolls and Fallout games with so many problems and at this point leaves it to modders to fix all of the shit they should've done right in the first place.

People get paid to make this shit, but the people that make it the way it should be do it for free most of the time.

Griss

Hi guys I recently (and finally!) got a decent new phone, first time I've ever spent any kind of money on a phone. I got a Nexus 5x. I absolutely love the hell out of it so far, despite the battery life being just as bad as my research indicated. (That was a flaw I said I'd live with - I tend to be an ultra-lite user as I'm not much of a phone person.) After 'suffering' Android for years on a Samsung, it's just incredible how beautiful and user-friendly it is when unskinned. I've done a full 180 on it. It's gorgeous.

Anyway, my problem is that most of the major apps don't appear on the app store for me. As random examples, Clash of Clans and Angry Birds aren't there. Now, I know Android has those apps. But they're not there. Nor are a lot of other apps I had previously on my old crappy 2nd-hand Galaxy. Basically, I think anything that offers in-app purchases isn't there, but I'm not sure. It's weird.

When I go onto the Google Play store on my laptop, I see a message "This app is incompatible with all of your devices - No carrier LGE Nexus 5x". Does anyone have any idea what the hell this means? I just want to download some apps :(

EDIT: Having done some more research it seems like it may be a geoblocking issue? I bought the phone in the US, live in the Caribbean and have an Irish account. This shit always causes me problems. Bad enough that half my game collection since childhood is in PAL and half is in NTSC, now this crap. Gah.

EDIT 2: Tried installing a free VPN, force stopping the Play Store and rebooting it, but no dice, still missing the apps. Anyone know how to get around Geoblocking on the play store without doing anything too crazy or rooting the phone (whatever that means) etc?

I love Android but what he's saying isn't fully untrue. It's sad that Android is so fragmented and inconsistent. Devs really do so much for the OS while the lazy manufacturers half-ass everything and pump in bloat and inefficiency.

It's kinda like how Bethesda pushes out Elder Scrolls and Fallout games with so many problems and at this point leaves it to modders to fix all of the shit they should've done right in the first place.

People get paid to make this shit, but the people that make it the way it should be do it for free most of the time.

lolwut

if i had a Nexus i'd have to do *more* work to get it how i want, not less.

Samsung takes care of some stuff i'd have to add manually on barebones Android.

Husker86

Higher FPS needs more light to maintain the same brightness as lower FPS video. So yeah, it's normal.

Quasar

So my Nexus 5X arrived. Transferring everything from my 4 was easier than I expected. Though I do think its a little bigger than I'd like...don't think its very pocketable. Otherwise though I am really liking it.

Furyous

HTC nexus rumour mill...
Llabtoofer is a credible source for all things HTC.
Hes posted the alleged codenames of the 2 HTC Nexus phones.

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/01/rumor-htc-nexus-smartphones-codenamed-t50-t55.html

What if these are the standard M variants but running stock Android but not Nexii? Either way the idea of a Nexus with an IR blaster, fingerprint sensor, and microsd support have me ready for action. I just threw $500 at the screen hoping it would automatically generate a smartphone.

So my Nexus 5X arrived. Transferring everything from my 4 was easier than I expected. Though I do think its a little bigger than I'd like...don't think its very pocketable. Otherwise though I am really liking it.

If you get a slim case it's still pocketable for most. I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RS5L9U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Have fun with the lag after 5-6 days of uptime. I'm considering trying the 6p it can get so bad.

Quasar

If you get a slim case it's still pocketable for most. I have this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014RS5L9U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Have fun with the lag after 5-6 days of uptime. I'm considering trying the 6p it can get so bad.

Yeah well...as it was I could only barely afford the 5x (and the 6 is way too big) because of some local discounting. I would have considered something cheaper if there was one with a thumbprint scanner and I trusted the oem to give me updates. I don't actually need a powerful phone as I don't game on it.

As for pocketable, the issue is the length. I dont think I can keep it in a front pants pocket and squat as I can my N4.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I want a new tablet, but ugh now seems like the worst time. Feels like if I've made it this long I should just wait longer now unless I cave on the Pixel. The Zenpad is nice, but that hardware is getting older in Android land already.

Bloodember

I want a new tablet, but ugh now seems like the worst time. Feels like if I've made it this long I should just wait longer now unless I cave on the Pixel. The Zenpad is nice, but that hardware is getting older in Android land already.
The pixel and the Nvidia Shield tablet are good. Or just get an Ipad.

Google should literally make a TV ad about how you can just type a reminder into the Google search box at work and it will be added to Keep on your phone. It's god tier functionality.

Whaa? How do you do this?! Do you mean using the search box in Chrome? Or Keep program on PC?

Vanillalite

OMG Chrome

Bigger data savings are the way for users of Google Chrome and, potentially, other browsers too.

It’s all thanks to a new, open-source HTTP compression algorithm called Brotli, which Google announced last year.

“The smaller compressed size [using Brotli] allows for better space utilization and faster page loads”, say Google.

Unlike the Google data saver extension launched last year Brotli works behind the scenes and not as a proxy. It currently only works over HTTPS connections, and only where web developers are supporting it (Google Web Fonts already does, for example).

Developer interest in the new format is said to be high, with ‘CDN vendors, tier1 web properties, third parties, and NGINX modules’ all cited by Google.

Brotli is as much 26% better at overall compression over Zopfli, the name of the incumbent algorithm used by Chrome. Brotli currently only works on HTTPS connections but outperforms gzip for html, javascript and css payloads by as much as 25%.

If you’re running Google Chrome on beta, dev or canary channels on any platform, including Android and Linux, you can opt-in to the Brotli demo early by visiting:

chrome://flags#enable-brotli
Just don’t to notice too much, and be aware that while the compression algorithm is designed for HTTP content encoding it currently only works over HTTPS.

Vanillalite

WTF at this onslaught of Snapdragon 615/616/617 phones in recent days.

OEMs, get on the program and give us the 650/652 sweetness.

Phones take time to be in designed. So not surprised OEMs aren't right on the new chips as these phones were well into preproduction before the new chips were announced.

reKon

Banned
If Nvidia did what I wanted them to do and release a Shield with the X1... I'd very tempted if the price was still relatively cheap. But, if the Surface 4 delivers, I'm going to have to say fuck it and pick that up instead. I should be able to use bluestacks or something similar to run android apps on it right? As soon as one of these Android emulators for windows supports Android M, I'll be all set because Android M supports full app back up including data.

I want to keep my plasma TV as mainly a HTPC / Gaming PC and keep all my internet browsing to another device because I've actually fucked up and caused a tiny bit of noticeable burn in (My TV is from 2013 too). Work PC laptop is very portable, but it's too secure to really do what I want on it (no chrome extensions allowed for example). My Tab S2 8.0 has been really great though and extremely portable, but something like a Surface would be much better for browsing/media.

reKon

Banned
Nvidia mobile chips would be an insta not buy for me

Funny because the Shield K1 is pretty much the top performing Android device

Lipton_Kermit-630x422.png

Ah, this is irritating, so a newbie question here. Just got a Moto X Pure (16 GB, where my problem might be) and slapped a 128 GB card into it. Chose to format it as internal storage, and so far, so good. Most of my apps have gone straight to the microSD.

I'm trying to install XCOM now and I'm told I don't have enough space. The OS and default apps are taking most of the internal storage, where I'm guessing it's trying to direct the install.

Is there any way to redirect where an install goes? Preferably without rooting?

Edit: Nevermind. Did a factory reset, gave it time to format the card properly before trying to install anything, and now it works fine.

So my Nvidia Shield Tablet replacement model got some screen issues. The bottom right part of the screen (covers almost the entire right side of the screen other than a little at the top) is completely unresponsive to any touches.

I also remember that I stopped using my Nexus 7 (first model) because it suddenly started acting as if I touched somewhere on the screen where I didn't, which made me stop using it in fear that it does something bad.

Is this kind of thing common among Android tablets?

NotBacon

lolwut

Your use case isn't the norm. Or at least I don't think it is.... what do you desperately need on top of stock?

For most people, stock is just what they need. A simple experience that provides the basics.

Jigolo

So my Nvidia Shield Tablet replacement model got some screen issues. The bottom right part of the screen (covers almost the entire right side of the screen other than a little at the top) is completely unresponsive to any touches.

I also remember that I stopped using my Nexus 7 (first model) because it suddenly started acting as if I touched somewhere on the screen where I didn't, which made me stop using it in fear that it does something bad.

Nvidia

Bloodember

I've never had issues with any of my tablets, apart from my Nexus 7 getting slow with the Lollipop update. I've had 5 different ones. My shield tablet works flawlessly.

Well, I'm going to have to send this thing away because of the screen issue, but I worry that the warranty is now void because I rooted the damn thing while it worked.

I guess I have to start using the one with the exploding battery again, but at least its touch screen works!

Your use case isn't the norm. Or at least I don't think it is.... what do you desperately need on top of stock?

For most people, stock is just what they need. A simple experience that provides the basics.

we're talking about people rooting to track down wakelocks. normal people just charge their phone at work and at night.

Fatalah

Google should literally make a TV ad about how you can just type a reminder into the Google search box at work and it will be added to Keep on your phone. It's god tier functionality.

Weird, my reminders have always shown up in Inbox. My Reminders list in Keep is empty.

lolwut

DIdn’t you get the memo my friend? Barebones is all you need according to the partisan sheep camp. Please consider the following fun facts that normal people want

1. Stock has no need for a restart/reboot menu because…for some nexus fanboys, it’s “5X” the fun! Get the reference? :D

2. Stock also has no “clear all recents” button unlike OEM offerings because… purists have no problem overlooking security/privacy concerns, especially when what’s at stake is some negligible ram/cpu load. Besides, a quick de-cluttering mechanism is not as wholesome as a frantic “fruit recents ninja” game! Especially when someone asks to borrow your phone. Who the fuck cares that recents stack has a screen cap of nearly everything including sensitive stuff which is easily visible in a single click? Get with the program my friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom