• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
This is the New Google Weather, and It’s Awesome

google-weather-update.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looks good, but is there a weather radar? That's something that I really like to see as it helps visualize the rain strength and timing around the area.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Looks good, but is there a weather radar? That's something that I really like to see as it helps visualize the rain strength and timing around the area.

Radar is like 90% of what people really want. Other 10% just being a quick temp check.

My Note 5 dramatically decreases in battery from like 15% to 1% while barely doing anything in about a 5 minute span. Then I plug in the charger (@1%) and instead of 1%, it says 14%. What gives?

Quasar

Well I'm now a few days into my Nexus 5X upgrade from my N4. Really pretty happy overall. The big problem with my N4, battery life, seems solved where after 36 hrs of normal use (which for me is I'll admit limited) is still on 40% where my N4 could die within 12 hours for me in recent times.

My one gripe seems to be transferring files from pc to phone. Transfer rate is really slow over usb. Dunno if thats a result of a cheap usb-c to 3.0 cable, my pcs interface or what.

JaseMath

Does anyone here use Trigger? I literally cannot get it to activate any tasks I set. One is set to enable the LED at 5:15AM, another disables it at 10:15PM, and another is supposed to set the ringer to 0 and vibrate during work hours. None of them work. :(

Well I'm now a few days into my Nexus 5X upgrade from my N4. Really pretty happy overall. The big problem with my N4, battery life, seems solved where after 36 hrs of normal use (which for me is I'll admit limited) is still on 40% where my N4 could die within 12 hours for me in recent times.

My one gripe seems to be transferring files from pc to phone. Transfer rate is really slow over usb. Dunno if thats a result of a cheap usb-c to 3.0 cable, my pcs interface or what.

The new nexus are only usb 2.0 even though its usb c.

Give the phone another few days or so without rebooting it to let the performance issues creep up. You will start to be less pleased. My only gripe with this phone besides the audio.

co1onel

I tried out remix os on my macbook. It looks super nice, but it's pretty much a buggy mess at the moment. Biggest issue was the trackpad fuctions, which I couldn't figure out for the life of me. Might be nice on a touch screen. But seriously, give it a normal mouse pointer, none of this osu shit. Everything felt unresponsive, laggy and finnicky. It's pretty clear android was not intended to be used on a desktop, but this is an alpha after . It's missing all those sexy material design animations too. Hopefully google can come up with something good when they mix chrome os with android.

Is there a way to make my Nexus 5's notification light light up more often? Right now when there is a notification it's 10 seconds of no light and then it lights up for a second, repeat. There's a high chance that I just don't notice it.

I had Cyanogenmod on it which allowed me to change the light speed and duration, but now I went back to Google stock because I wanted to get Marshmallow's battery life improvements. I forgot this was a serious annoyance with the Google ROM.

Is there a way to make my Nexus 5's notification light light up more often? Right now when there is a notification it's 10 seconds of no light and then it lights up for a second, repeat. There's a high chance that I just don't notice it.

I had Cyanogenmod on it which allowed me to change the light speed and duration, but now I went back to Google stock because I wanted to get Marshmallow's battery life improvements. I forgot this was a serious annoyance with the Google ROM.
Have you looked into Light Flow? You can customize your LED for various notifications, color, frequency, etc.

vdlow

Lightflow let you customize the hell out of your notification led. Totally worth paying for the full version, even, which let's you customize in a per app basis.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Try using airdroid to send files over your network. It could end up being faster. Worth a shot at least.

Vlad

So, tablets...

I haven't really followed the market much. My wife has an iPad, and as much as I don't like using it, it's not like there's a need for another tablet in the household, so it is what it is. However, my parents have expressed an interest in "learning to Skype", so I figured a tablet would be their best bet for ease of use. As I expected, I've been tasked with to research tablets and tell them which one to get. "How hard could it be?", I ask myself.

Apparently, it's a gigantic pain in the ass.

I already told them to stay away from Apple devices, and I figured I should be able to find something decent in the Android tablet market, but my goodness, it's a lot to wade through. My initial criteria was to find something with stock Android on it, but apparently the only tablet on the market with vanilla Android is the Nexus 9?

I figured that would work, though, since I've had a good experience with the Nexus line in the past. I've used both a Nexus One and 6, and thought they were both fine. I figured since this was Google's own tablet, it should be good, right?

Apparently not. People crapping on it left and right.

So, with that in mind, are there any other tablets that are running vanilla android that are decent for the same general price point? I've been reading a ton of reviews, and apparently everything else has a bunch of unnecessary junk on it. This gets extra infuriating when the review is basically "Powerful tablet, tons of bloatware, FOUR STARS!"

I guess "tons of bloatware" is more of a dealbreaker for me than most people.

So, if vanilla Android is off the table, are there any tablets out there that aren't too bloated?

yyzjohn

Banned
So, tablets...

I haven't really followed the market much. My wife has an iPad, and as much as I don't like using it, it's not like there's a need for another tablet in the household, so it is what it is. However, my parents have expressed an interest in "learning to Skype", so I figured a tablet would be their best bet for ease of use. As I expected, I've been tasked with to research tablets and tell them which one to get. "How hard could it be?", I ask myself.

Apparently, it's a gigantic pain in the ass.

I already told them to stay away from Apple devices, and I figured I should be able to find something decent in the Android tablet market, but my goodness, it's a lot to wade through. My initial criteria was to find something with stock Android on it, but apparently the only tablet on the market with vanilla Android is the Nexus 9?

I figured that would work, though, since I've had a good experience with the Nexus line in the past. I've used both a Nexus One and 6, and thought they were both fine. I figured since this was Google's own tablet, it should be good, right?

Apparently not. People crapping on it left and right.

So, with that in mind, are there any other tablets that are running vanilla android that are decent for the same general price point? I've been reading a ton of reviews, and apparently everything else has a bunch of unnecessary junk on it. This gets extra infuriating when the review is basically "Powerful tablet, tons of bloatware, FOUR STARS!"

I guess "tons of bloatware" is more of a dealbreaker for me than most people.

So, if vanilla Android is off the table, are there any tablets out there that aren't too bloated?

Just get them an iPad.

Bloodember

Well, like I said, "ease of use" is a big issue. I'd rather not get them something that's prone to tons of crashes and with an unresponsive touchscreen, so an iPad's out.
What are you talking about? IOS Is super easy to use and I have never heard Ipads crash. The one in my house certainly doesn't.

Noema

Well, like I said, "ease of use" is a big issue. I'd rather not get them something that's prone to tons of crashes and with an unresponsive touchscreen, so an iPad's out.

Whatever you are describing, it's not an iPad.

If you don't want an iPad, some users in this forum own ZenPads and they seem to be pleased with them.

Vlad

At least not a current model. An older one, like an iPad 2 or 3 with iOS 9? I'd say the description fits.

Yeah, it's an iPad 3. While stuff like Netflix works fine, the browser crashes pretty regularly, and tap+hold doesn't really like to work about half the time either.

So yeah, I'm not really looking to inflict that sort of thing on other people.

Talon

Yeah, it's an iPad 3. While stuff like Netflix works fine, the browser crashes pretty regularly, and tap+hold doesn't really like to work about half the time either.

Don't buy 4-year-old tablets?

yyzjohn

Banned

You're obviously biased against iPads, the touchscreen is fine and it's responsive as hell. Also the standby battery time will wipe the floor with any android tablet out there. I'm saying this and I'm an Android fan.

kharma45

iPad 3 was a mistake. I doubt they'll ever make that one again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom