• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

Yeah, I've seen reviews for that one scattered around, but I'm concerned about the amount of bloatware and how much it might affect performance. The big problem is that my parents live on the other side of the country, so I'm really trying to avoid trying to walk them through disabling all that junk over the phone, especially when I don't have an equivalent system to do it on on my end. Lots of "so what does the screen say now?"-type stuff that I'd like to avoid if I can. The "your grandmother clicked on the webpage that said she had a virus and now her computer doesn't work" conversation was bad enough.

Don't buy 4-year-old tablets?

Well, it's more like "don't buy tablets from manufacturers who produce something you didn't already like".

Mindwipe

Have you looked at the Sony tablets? They're expensive, but they are mostly stock, most of the bloat is uninstallable, and the rest is generally improvements. Sony do good long term software updates even if they're not the quickest at getting them out, and they're waterproof. Seriously, my parents waterdamage so much shit I don't even understand how.

Vlad

You're obviously biased against iPads, the touchscreen is fine and it's responsive as hell. Also the standby battery time will wipe the floor with any android tablet out there. I'm saying this and I'm an Android fan.

iPad 3 was a mistake. I doubt they'll ever make that one again.

Well, I guess you could say I'm biased against iPads, because aside from a seven-year-old iPod nano that still works great, I've never used an Apple product that I've actually liked.

It just amazes me that for all the variety in the Android tablet market, there really aren't any stand-out "good" ones.

Vlad

Have you looked at the Sony tablets? They're expensive, but they are mostly stock, most of the bloat is uninstallable, and the rest is generally improvements. Sony do good long term software updates even if they're not the quickest at getting them out, and they're waterproof. Seriously, my parents waterdamage so much shit I don't even understand how.

Yeah, I've done a little browsing around on all the brands. I think I was holding out hope for a decent tablet that was 100% stock, but apparently that's not meant to be.

I also see a lot of insane damage being done to stuff. Most of my friends have smartphones with cracked screens. I think the kicker was when a friend was asking me about data recovery from a laptop for a friend of hers, and whether or not it was possible to clean wine out of a laptop. Apparently her friend had her laptop on a bed and had the glass of wine sitting on the laptop.

Just get them an ipad. An iPad Mini 4 should be fine. Air 2 for a bigger screen.

My Nexus 9 is now garbage and it's not even 2 years old.

edit: The Asus Zenpad is probably what I would get if I were to get another Android tablet. Haven't looked into the Sony ones.

edit 2: Forgot MWC is next month, so there might be some cool tablets announced/released!

ukas

Well, I guess you could say I'm biased against iPads, because aside from a seven-year-old iPod nano that still works great, I've never used an Apple product that I've actually liked.

It just amazes me that for all the variety in the Android tablet market, there really aren't any stand-out "good" ones.

Have you looked at the Pixel C?

Symphonia

Banned
Has anyone installed RemixOS? I'm thinking of installing it tomorrow, but would like some feedback before I do. Visually, it looks great, but what does it really offer in terms of features, etc? Is it essentially Android for PC?

Mega

Banned
You're obviously biased against iPads, the touchscreen is fine and it's responsive as hell. Also the standby battery time will wipe the floor with any android tablet out there. I'm saying this and I'm an Android fan.

Seconded.

Your parents seem to have little tech know-how. Don't make them unnecessarily endure Android devices just because you personally hate Apple. Get them the iPad and they will be happier (it's about what's best for them, not you). This is coming from someone who has never owned an Apple phone or tablet but knows better than to recommend something they won't use because it's inconvenient or doesn't work in 1-2 years.

No one here has replaced a screen on your phone by yourself before? Is it a recommended thing to do?

Never had a problem with any screen ever but if I did I'm not sure I'd bother doing it myself. Too lazy. I guess it depends on the phone how easy it is but I feel like if it isn't done perfectly who knows what problems it could cause.

Jzero

No one here has replaced a screen on your phone by yourself before? Is it a recommended thing to do?

It's not as easy as it looks on video. A lot of noobs may forget to reconnect ribbon cables or antenna cables but if there's a complete video tutorial of it go ahead. It's always great to learn new things and not pay someone to do it.

Saiyan-Rox

For what it's worth The Pixel C is a really nice tablet....

Buuuutt...The screen has a little motion blur on it that I can see and of course there's loads of people talking about bad Wi-Fi which I don't have (and the touchscreen issues swell which I did have)

but it's more than useable for me now and my 2nd unit is grand so far. Google just need to actually say something and bring out a software update already.

I have on a Galaxy S III

Trust me if you're going to attempt it get a screen that's attached to the bezel already that way all you need to do is transfer over the motherboard, speakers etc etc and you're done.

zewone

I replaced my iPhone 3GS screen back in the day and touch was so screwed up I just threw it away.

I'll never do that again. Better off putting that money into a new phone.

Saiyan-Rox

I use the galaxy S4. I was looking at this kit and am wondering if this is a good one to get http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUR2GZM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So like one of these? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ield-keywords=galaxy+s4+replacement+kit+bezel

if you know what you're doing you can use the first kit but it's extremely hard to remove that top layer and if you don't use enough heat to melt the glue you'll crack the screen underneath it really really easily (I know that from when I did it) it's so brittle.

if you get one like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KBNQ294/?tag=neogaf0e-20 it's really easy. Getting the parts out of the Galaxy S III was piss easy but the screens aren't and they're made to be like that.

What kind of damage have you done to the screen?

Saiyan-Rox

At that price point, I might as well send it in and pay someone else to fix it :S

It's really upto you but if you pay someone to do it it'll be cheaper and safer really.

If you're doing this just to change the surface glass and the screen underneath is fine if you don't take the glass off properly the screen underneath will crack.

The glass on my screen isn't broken actually. It's the LCD or something that's messed up. 95% of the screen is covered in black.

Wait so that means I should probably get an LCD replacement kit....

snacknuts

we all knew her
I replaced the screen on an LG G2, but it wasn't perfect and I probably would have been better off having someone else do it (everything worked great, but it was a subpar fit and finish).

Saiyan-Rox

The glass on my screen isn't broken actually. It's the LCD or something that's messed up. 95% of the screen is covered in black.

Yep replacing the top glass wont' fix that.

You'd need a screen + frame like I suggested or get someone else to try and repair it for you.

Jzero

Honestly, just invest on a new phone. You can accidentally buy a defective or cheap part and have to end up spending more money. If you're broke just buy a budget phone, they're pretty great for the price these days.

Part of the reason i'm so caught up with this because I need the fix ASAP. Like before the 24th. Looks like that's highly unlikely at this point though.

Toki767

I hate Google's new weather thing. The old one gave the chances of rain and the new one is just literally all pictures and not much text.

Saiyan-Rox

Just flashed Cyanogen on my 6P for shits and giggles

that smiley face in their messaging app....I hate it

Also none of the Auto Sign in apps worked so I had to manually sign back into things

Just flashed Cyanogen on my 6P for shits and giggles

that smiley face in their messaging app....I hate it

Also none of the Auto Sign in apps worked so I had to manually sign back into things

I can't even bring myself to root this thing, I just don't care that much anymore and CAF browser takes care of popups and shit.

Layers and maybe trying elemental kernel would be the only reasons for me should I ever

co1onel

Has anyone installed RemixOS? I'm thinking of installing it tomorrow, but would like some feedback before I do. Visually, it looks great, but what does it really offer in terms of features, etc? Is it essentially Android for PC?

I tried out remix os on my macbook. It looks super nice, but it's pretty much a buggy mess at the moment. Biggest issue was the trackpad fuctions, which I couldn't figure out for the life of me. Might be nice on a touch screen. But seriously, give it a normal mouse pointer, none of this osu shit. Everything felt unresponsive, laggy and finicky. It's pretty clear android was not intended to be used on a desktop, but this is an alpha after all. It's missing all those sexy material design animations too. Hopefully google can come up with something good when they mix chrome os with android.

Give it a shot, it might work better on whatever machine you're testing it on. Just don't have good expectations.

Saiyan-Rox

I can't even bring myself to root this thing, I just don't care that much anymore and CAF browser takes care of popups and shit.

Layers and maybe trying elemental kernel would be the only reasons for me should I ever

I had mine Rooted and Cataclysm mod/rom installed before this just for things that I was so used too like swiping the right side to get quick toggles holding down power for the flashlight was great too.

Root I use for Ad blocker only tbh.

But yeah I know what you mean. The reason for doing it is getting smaller and smaller with every new Android release.

I will say I do love Cyanogens music visualizer on the lockscreen.

But god damn Cyanogen need to cut down on the ringtone/notification tones there's a fuck tone and they're all shit

ctfg23

Is it worth switching from MetroPCS to Project Fi? I'm almost always on WiFi and don't use much data so it would almost certainly be cheaper.

I've already done that, I supposed they wouldn't believe me without proof.

Wow, so that's really still a thing. Fucking OP support.

I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. When a colleague at work told me about that, I couldn't believe what she was saying. It's definitely something I have to remind myself of each time I'm tempted to buy one of their phones.

kharma45

Wow, so that's really still a thing. Fucking OP support.

I'm really sorry that you have to go through this. When a colleague at work told me about that, I couldn't believe what she was saying. It's definitely something I have to remind myself of each time I'm tempted to buy one of their phones.

When I had issues with mine I didn't even bother. Just went via PayPal.

kami_sama

The issue hasn't gone away.
While they were late, the remote session didn't have any problems.
But in the end, it's no a software issue :(

asdad123

Just picked up a hauwei watch stainless steel for $175 at target. If anyone is interested, apparently they're on clearance in store.

Can't wait to try it out.

I'm thinking about going for the Nexus 6p. Haven't had a new smartphone since the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Reasons: Fingerprint Scanner, Stock Android, etc.

Now if only the price for the 64 GB model were to drop a bit to $450 (unless someone on here can provide me with a good substitute smartphone/phablet)...

Just picked up a hauwei watch stainless steel for $175 at target. If anyone is interested, apparently they're on clearance in store.

Can't wait to try it out.

Good deal but that's not a good sign...

I'm thinking about going for the Nexus 6p. Haven't had a new smartphone since the Samsung Galaxy S3.

Reasons: Fingerprint Scanner, Stock Android, etc.

Now if only the price for the 64 GB model were to drop a bit to $450 (unless someone on here can provide me with a good substitute smartphone/phablet)...

If you keep phones that long I would not get a 6p. Wait for a snapdragon 820 phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom