• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna return my Nexus 5X not cause there's anything wrong with it, but the charger died less than a week of having it? It just doesn't work. Lol at the shoddy crappy quality.

Jigolo

The next Tegra is going to be great.

haha
Honestly this time round i'm not sure the Nvidia chip is the reason for it. The software is just utter trash.

Please don't try to defend Nvidia. All their chips have been garbage in the mobile space. I've been reading blogs for a long time now and besides performance, Nvidia chips share more dumb issues that you see with almost every release (Wifi, touch issues) it's almost as if their drivers for android aren't ready. Every single one since the beginning (Tegra 2) is bad; Nvidia PR is fucking great because it makes people believe they make good stuff with their fancy green charts. DESKTOP GPU BROS. It's a shame because this tablet does a lot right including the spectacular aspect ratio. Shit is pure genius.

But you know I had to ask when I had the chance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...google_and_im_with_the_team/cxt4wxf?context=3

Y31znfU.gif

Going forward, Google needs to focus on software and not picking Nvidia for their tablet chips. Wish QC would make a tablet specific chip every year; call it 825 (2016), 835 (2017), 845 (2018) or something like Apple does.

Saiyan-Rox

haha

Please don't try to defend Nvidia. All their chips have been garbage in the mobile space. I've been reading blogs for a long time now and besides performance, Nvidia chips share more dumb issues that you see with almost every release (Wifi, touch issues) it's almost as if their drivers for android aren't ready. Every single one since the beginning (Tegra 2) is bad; Nvidia PR is fucking great because it makes people believe they make good stuff with their fancy green charts. DESKTOP GPU BROS. It's a shame because this tablet does a lot right including the spectacular aspect ratio. Shit is pure genius.

But you know I had to ask when I had the chance:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comme...google_and_im_with_the_team/cxt4wxf?context=3

Y31znfU.gif

Going forward, Google needs to focus on software and not picking Nvidia for their tablet chips. Wish QC would make a tablet specific chip every year; call it 825 (2016), 835 (2017), 845 (2018) or something like Apple does.

oh yeah the Nvidia chip probably wasn't a good idea to be sure but the software in the Pixel C is absolutely rubbish, it's an unfinished mess! there's still even chrome OS code left in the tablet that Google never removed.

Guess we'll have to see what software updates do when Google actually bothers it's ass to release one....Google as a whole on this tablet as been a major failure

Amazon wants to integrate its services with your smartphone

Just because the Fire phone bombed in spectacular fashion doesn't mean that Amazon is giving up on smartphones altogether. Sources for The Information understand that Amazon is talking to Android phone makers about integrating its services on a "factory level," not just by bundling apps. In a sense, your phone would behave a bit like a Fire tablet -- content from the likes of Prime Video would get relatively prominent placement.

There aren't any named manufacturers, and it's not clear just how far along those talks are. With that said, it's no secret that Amazon wants a better mobile footprint than it has today. Right now, you typically have to sideload some Amazon services (most notably the Appstore) due to the company's aversion to some of Google Play's rules. This would provide an end run around that giant obstacle. You wouldn't have to lift a finger to use a wide range of Amazon's offerings, and you might not have to give up Google services (as you do on Fire tablets) in the process.

I hate Google's new weather thing. The old one gave the chances of rain and the new one is just literally all pictures and not much text.
Click the weather card, then Swipe to scroll down, it will show images/percentages of rain or not by the hour, air quality, amount of daylight remaining, etc. Much better than the old one

ukas

I knew the Pixel C was garbage. Zenpad isn't great, either, but it's cheap enough.

- Vanillalite, every year

I think it's more of Google's quality control being garbage. The only issue I have from the Anand article is wifi problem. Someone else in this thread had the same issues as the Anand article, returned it, and now I think they only have the wifi issue as well.

Went to the caf browser thread on xda and the play store link is to rbrowser. The dev also has a newer version called rsbrowser. Is the latter stable enough to use as a daily driver?

Edit: Went with rs since it looks nicer. Yo, holy shit, this is so much faster. I was expecting a difference, but not one this significant. Pages load up almost immediate after being clicked. Gotdamn. Good looking out AJ, or whoever it was that first brought it up.

I'm super tempted to uninstall Chrome Beta right now.

Edit: Aaaaand Chrome Beta uninstalled. Rs has all the same syncing features, which was my only concern. Don't know how they did it, bit I'm not complaining.

Went to the caf browser thread on xda and the play store link is to rbrowser. The dev also has a newer version called rsbrowser. Is the latter stable enough to use as a daily driver?

Edit: Went with rs since it looks nicer. Yo, holy shit, this is so much faster. I was expecting a difference, but not one this significant. Pages load up almost immediate after being clicked. Gotdamn. Good looking out AJ, or whoever it was that first brought it up.

Edit: Aaaaand Chrome Beta uninstalled. Rs has all the same syncing features, which was my only concern. Don't know how they did it, bit I'm not complaining.

Holy shit you aren't kidding. I feel like I'm browsing on an iPhone now. How can Google not pull this off?

Holy shit you aren't kidding. I feel like I'm browsing on an iPhone now. How can Google not pull this off?
Yeah, it's crazy how much better this is. My only issue is that it's based on an older version of chromium, so I have that annoying keyboard bug again, but everything is so much better that I can give it a pass.

If I had to guess, maybe Google doesn't include the Qualcomm specific optimizations in Chrome?

Airan

What exactly is the difference between a phone SoC and a tablet SoC (or CPU? Chip? What's the correct term?)? I don't understand why they couldn't just shove a SD810 into an 8-9in tablet and call it a day?

Quasar

What exactly is the difference between a phone SoC and a tablet SoC (or CPU? Chip? What's the correct term?)? I don't understand why they couldn't just shove a SD810 into an 8-9in tablet and call it a day?

Different power draw I imagine. Tablets have bigger batteries and more room for heat sinks so they can have beefier socs.

Quasar

It's not all because Android isn't the best tablet OS it's because Google were total idiots and pushed it out with unfinished software

I'm going to admit I really don't get the os complaints. I mean tablets are just big phones. If anything I'd be blaming app makers being really lazy when it comes to interface stuff.

Kuros

I'm going to admit I really don't get the os complaints. I mean tablets are just big phones. If anything I'd be blaming app makers being really lazy when it comes to interface stuff.

You have to include Google in that though. A fair few of their apps are not tablet optimised. Which is pathetic.

Saiyan-Rox

There is truth in that swell tbh but Google are just as lazy when it comes to optimizing apps

Falcon Pro has a Tablet UI (sort off) and I believe Google themselves said Material Design was supposed to make making tablet/phone UI easier by not stretching the image. Sure it kinda does but it also can make it so the layout is different on tablets they just dont.

Tbh lately with the way Google handle software is really beginning to piss me off they've always been slow at getting things fixed and when they do they add another issue. Not to mention how fucking slow rollouts of said fixes are. Sure you can sideload or factory image right away but we shouldn't need to.

google has provided no incentive for developers to make tablet specific apps. It's not worth the investment for them. Google needs to step up and handle it themselves by creating as many of their own as possible and then maybe offering to work with developers to help create tablet apps. And then push android tablets as hard as possible.

But no, they'd rather just shit out tablets randomly with little fanfare and then not really support them, oh and have them be buggy as sheeeit. Google just seems out of their depth at times with Android considering how many issues there are and how slow they are to fix them and all that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

You're welcome!

It's not all because Android isn't the best tablet OS it's because Google were total idiots and pushed it out with unfinished software
I used to think like you. Now I'm glad they push out rushed products. They'll fix it and the hardware will get cheaper because it's older. Then I can buy it for cheap, which is what tablets should be.

Mindwipe

You have to include Google in that though. A fair few of their apps are not tablet optimised. Which is pathetic.

Quite. It's the Google pre-installed apps that are the problem. If you turn Hangouts into landscape on a Pixel C it's hilariously bad.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
the OP of every android thread should include links to CAF Browser/RSBrowser and why you should be using it. Props to AJ for bringing it up

Jigolo

Finally got marshmallow on my LG G4.. Had to use bridge because OTA isn't available.. Country is Finland.

And started trying chromium based browser thats optimized for snapdragon:
http://caf.notphenom.com
Don't know if it's been mentioned here before.

thanks ana

For all your questions:

CAF: the base of all the others. It's a optimized chromium for snapdragon processors and has a few nifty features like adblock, night mode. It's currently the only open source one.

Jswarts/npbrowser: is a fork(m46) from /u/nophenomen(jswarts) and has a few modifications. He told everyone his app was open source but it isn't. He always linked back to CAF source.

Rsbrowser: also a fork(m46) . Has some modifications like the new duckduckgo search. There is some Sourcecode online but as far as i saw it was of version 1.0 and looked not complete.

Rbrowser:is same as rsbrowser but from a older version of caf(m42)

Appendix: m42 and m46 are the major chromium versions 42 and 46

I just use vanilla CAF

vdlow

What about the privacy concerns that were raised with these Chromium-based browsers that have some closed-source portions? Do they apply for RSBrowser?

--Edit--

Well, just seen the post above. Guess it's an answer.

Ran rp

Wow, there's literally no info in the op.

Are there any good guides out there on Android OS and apps? I'm completely new to it and my only "smart" device is a 3rd gen Touch stuck on iOS 5. How does it compare to iOS these days?

I'm most likely getting the Blu Life One X, btw.

It's instantaneous?

I mean in terms of UI. 3 taps vs 1 swipe from the side and then a tap.

It doesn't help that I'm left handed, so reaching for the menu is a bit more cumbersome, since I have to stretch the thumb across the screen.

e: But to be fair, the way I use the browser is pretty specific. I use it almost exclusively for GAF and have my subscriptions bookmarked.
I check a thread, read it and then go back to my subscriptions. So quick access to my bookmarks is important to me.

Forgot that Google is just borrowing resources from OEM's (manufacturing lines and some design people). So the 2016 nexus doesn't have to suck, even if HTC is making them(thank goodness). Would love another Samsung nexus though. The Note 5 with stock Android and a slightly better battery life would be the GOAT phone. The current Nexus 6 is already close.

Lots of android OEM numbers are out.

Lenovo tanking (thanks moto). They dropped form 90 million to 72 million. Xiaomi also did 72 million which is lower than their own target of 100 million. LG continued to decline overall though I think they had a slightly better quarter than last. too lazy to check again.

In China Oppo/Huawei are doing ok. Vivo too.

Samsung is expected to be down as well. Down for allllllllllll.

Forgot that Google is just borrowing resources from OEM's (manufacturing lines and some design people). So the 2016 nexus doesn't have to suck, even if HTC is making them(thank goodness). Would love another Samsung nexus though. The Note 5 with stock Android and a slightly better battery life would be the GOAT phone. The current Nexus 6 is already close.

a note without multitasking or extensive pen support would be GOAT? what?

a note without multitasking or extensive pen support would be GOAT? what?
Multitasking could be solved if Google adds multi-window into the next version of Android, but come on does anybody actually use the pen constantly? I remember when I got a Note 3 I used it a few times for the novelty effect and didn't touch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom