• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmiPrime

I'm looking for a new reasonably priced android phone

I have a moto x 2013 that i still love and would continue to use if not for two issues ever since lollipop:

The phone makes horrible crackling noises at times when adjusting volume or when starting audio from spotify or podkicker.

When the phone runs out of battery and is restarted after charging it does the "optimizing app x of 80" and takes 15-20 minutes to even be available for use.

Would switching to a custom rom like cyanogenmod help with these issues possibly? Motorola wants $100 to replace the phone but with 2014 moto x at $180 used i could just upgrade.

If I don't just keep the moto x until it gets broken or stops working entirely I think the best option for a cheap upgrade would be the Moto X 2014 used/like new which seems to go for around $180 on ebay. Is this the best option?

I'm really not interested in doing another ATT Next plan or subsidizing again, but if i did it'd probably be better to go for one of the big flagship phones like the note 5, because they charge $600 on next for the moto x 2014 or nexus 6 anyway.

Nexus announcement on the 29th if your budget can stretch to around $400.

I'm looking for a new reasonably priced android phone

I have a moto x 2013 that i still love and would continue to use if not for two issues ever since lollipop:

The phone makes horrible crackling noises at times when adjusting volume or when starting audio from spotify or podkicker.

When the phone runs out of battery and is restarted after charging it does the "optimizing app x of 80" and takes 15-20 minutes to even be available for use.

Would switching to a custom rom like cyanogenmod help with these issues possibly? Motorola wants $100 to replace the phone but with 2014 moto x at $180 used i could just upgrade.

If I don't just keep the moto x until it gets broken or stops working entirely I think the best option for a cheap upgrade would be the Moto X 2014 used/like new which seems to go for around $180 on ebay. Is this the best option?

I'm really not interested in doing another ATT Next plan or subsidizing again, but if i did it'd probably be better to go for one of the big flagship phones like the note 5, because they charge $600 on next for the moto x 2014 or nexus 6 anyway.
nexus 5-2 coming soon, you're welcome.

Nexus announcement on the 29th if your budget can stretch to around $400.

$400 isn't a ton of money but i'm just not that crazy about my phone to spend that much. I use it to listen to music and podcasts at work, a little web browsing, and watching youtube videos if my tablet isn't charged.

It annoys me that the nexus is $400 from google but if you do the ATT next they charge $600 for it, because reasons.

$400 isn't a ton of money but i'm just not that crazy about my phone to spend that much. I use it to listen to music and podcasts at work, a little web browsing, and watching youtube videos if my tablet isn't charged.

It annoys me that the nexus is $400 from google but if you do the ATT next they charge $600 for it, because reasons.
AT&T NEXT Doesn't charge interest they only charge the cost of the phone at retail and divide that into monthly payments.

EmiPrime

The new Moto G is just over $200 unlocked. Might be more your thing then.

hitgirl

I don't know what weird thing you're plotting here with this question but.... Nexus.

Haha, damn you're on to me. Nexus 5 is everything I want in a phone.. but damn if they trying to sell that for $350-400.

Back to my Windows phone and packing up the Nexus 6. Sad, sad night. I was so close to Valhalla.

The nexus 5-2 will be my default placeholder device until something blows me away next year. If the nexus turns out amazing then that's just bonus.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Moto G 2 gig edition for $219
Asus Zenfone 2 Baller Edition $299 (64 gigs of storage)

Get one of those two phones

XBP

http://www.theverge.com/2015/9/9/92...plus-vs-android-spec-price-feature-comparison

RAM: we dunno

Battery: we dunno

Price: let's put the US with contract price for the iPhones and the unlocked price for the Android phones, that's a fair like for like comparison!

Thanks Verge!

z8w49hs.png

#wrecked

The Verge continues to put their foot in their mouth. You know what? It's not even their fault anymore. They've been consistently terrible, but people still go there. So yes you people are to blame.

Drifters

I'm seriously considering getting a vanilla 6+ because the 6S+ isn't worth the Apple tax of $100 dollars. Hell, people don't even know if the battery is the same size or if they upped the memory in the damn thing.

Jesus Apple. You make some potent shit these days.

No Love

Banned
So is nobody else excited for the LG G4 Pro? After using my G4 for the last few days I'm pretty psyched. An even bigger, faster G4 with an even better camera? Sign me up.

Reckoner

The Verge continues to put their foot in their mouth. You know what? It's not even their fault anymore. They've been consistently terrible, but people still go there. So yes you people are to blame.

I followed The Verge since opening mainly because of Joshua moving from Engadget, which was my go to before. Now I see myself going back to Engadget again. But it's pretty deplorable where they are today. They always had an Apple bias, even when Joshua was there, but at least it was completely justifiable back then.

tzare

Well, if you can't see how force touch adds to the usability and the gif maker is a fun thing that will be more accessible to everyone, you have the right to your opinion. I haven't yet seen a better implementation, at least of force touch, on any other phone.

It's not game changer, but are good things to have.

I'd rather have quickcharge, a notification led or wireless charging but ... yeah, more things the better, i guess.

Ty4on

^^^^^^ I didn't know of it either.
So is nobody else excited for the LG G4 Pro? After using my G4 for the last few days I'm pretty psyched. An even bigger, faster G4 with an even better camera? Sign me up.

27MP, that would mean something like a 1/1.7 sensor size? 20MP with 1.1µm is 1/2.4. Pretty impressive.

Hasney

Sounds good, really good. But 820 and next month? Compared to what everyone else is releasing, it sounds unlikely unless LG managed to get it earlier than most.

No Love

Banned
Sounds good, really good. But 820 and next month? Compared to what everyone else is releasing, it sounds unlikely unless LG managed to get it earlier than most.

It won't be an 820, that was the old rumor but 820 isn't ready for a few more months IIRC. It's going to be a tweaked, properly cooled 810.

Hasney

It won't be an 820, that was the old rumor but 820 isn't ready for a few more months IIRC. It's going to be a tweaked, properly cooled 810.

Heh, first Google result I got was posted yesterday and was still running with 820. But yeah even then, then rest sounds good.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
3D touch is excellent. It's a hover action. It makes things way more friction less. It probably took a crap ton of R&D, too. Very impressive. Also, ask the Hangout crew, I called it.

I missed the first post this year, guys :(

tzare

3D touch is excellent. It's a hover action. It makes things way more friction less. It probably took a crap ton of R&D, too. Very impressive. Also, ask the Hangout crew, I called it.

i still don't see it as a huge improvement, time will tell. But i guess apple fans need to search for something , and since the conference was quite dull, 3Dtouch (lol) makes it

Btw it seems that the camera diodes have shrunk their size due to the Megapixel upgrade. We will see how does this impact in low light performance

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I don't see how it was dull. 3D touch is a major UI innovation. It's pretty damn brilliant and in a couple years, we will never look back. It makes quick access to content way easier.

Nicktendo86

I really don't know about 3D touch. On the one hand yes, it is very clever. However it is also quite un-apple like, it is not a simple solution in that it needs to be explained. It also goes against the years of conditioning that we have had using capacitive screens that tells us we just tap the glass, don't apply pressure to it. It will feel unnatural, at first anyway.

How much pressure needs to be applied for a hard press to be registered?

Hasney

I really don't know about 3D touch. On the one hand yes, it is very clever. However it is also quite un-apple like, it is not a simple solution in that it needs to be explained. It also goes against the years of conditioning that we have had using capacitive screens that tells us we just tap the glass, don't apply pressure to it. It will feel unnatural, at first anyway.

Yeah, I mean I get it right away, but when the guy was demoing the peek thing in mail and said "It's totally natural" I was wondering if he had the power to see through layers of things using the power of his touch. Touching his mail harder to have a look into the contents without opening the envelope.

tzare

I don't see how it was dull. 3D touch is a major UI innovation. It's pretty damn brilliant and in a couple years, we will never look back. It makes quick access to content way easier.

That is your opinion, i have mine. Time will tell as i said. I don't see it revolutionary. Nice to have? Well, as long it doesn't make it more confusing (long press vs force press can be a mess unless well implemented).
Apple fans find brilliant almost anything apple shows so no surprise some find 3D touch revolutionary. I may eat crow, but i see it that way.

It also goes against the years of conditioning that we have had using capacitive screens that tells us we just tap the glass, don't apply pressure to it. It will feel unnatural, at first anyway.

exactly. That is how i see it. I'll give you an example, my mother has psoriasis, so almost no sensivity on her fingers. Same for many old people. How are those supposed to use that?
Sure, some power uses will benefit from 3Dtouch, the same way i use IR blaster a lot and some others find it unnecessary.

Nicktendo86

exactly. That is how i see it. I'll give you an example, my mother has psoriasis, so almost no sensivity on her fingers. Same for many old people. How are those supposed to use that?

That's a good point actually, I hadn't thought about that. It seems to be going against the entire idea of the iPhone which was simplicity, a device that an 8 or 80 year old could use. You already need to remember a number of different taps on the home button to do things, now they are cluttering things up even further by having to work out what parts of the ui need to be pressed hard.

But what do I know, I didn't think fingerprint sensors would take off lol

Ty4on

I haven't tried the 3D touch, but I'm pretty sure they're using the haptic feedback to make it feel like a button. That makes it pretty simple as you just press until it "clicks".

A lot of the iPhone gestures were also odd at first like pinch to zoom.

tzare

That's a good point actually, I hadn't thought about that. It seems to be going against the entire idea of the iPhone which was simplicity, a device that an 8 or 80 year old could use. You already need to remember a number of different taps on the home button to do things, now they are cluttering things up even further by having to work out what parts of the ui need to be pressed hard.

well fingerprint sensors are popular now becasue they are accurate and fast, also are just for 'unlocking or paying instead of a pin, also are 'platform agnostic' ,and still optional to use, you can enable or disable (i tried my mother to use an s6 to see if she could use a finger print sensor phone and she couldn't so i will stick to phones without it or just keep it disabled)
3Dtouch on the other hand will behave differently when different apps or OS (iOS,ANdroid;WP) use them, so not really a 'universal' feature like pinch to zoom.

That makes it pretty simple as you just press until it "clicks"
Just like a long press and vibrate feedback. Really, i find it hard to believe that really adds something to actual touchscreens. Spen has had multiple pressure levels for years and it has only been used, afaik, to simulate real pen behaviour.

Nicktendo86

I haven't tried the 3D touch, but I'm pretty sure they're using the haptic feedback to make it feel like a button. That makes it pretty simple as you just press until it "clicks".

A lot of the iPhone gestures were also odd at first like pinch to zoom.

Now you see that explanation of making it feel like a button helps it make sense in my mind and the first thing I think of is playing Sonic on my phone and it being useful with that. However, the vibration may give you some feedback but you still don't have the tactile feeling of a button being pressed down, you also of course don't have the physical limits of the button there which is one of the advantages, you can feel for a button without looking but don't have that with this.

I dunno, I need to try it before I can really get my head around it I suppose. As I imagine using it I can't shake the feeling that long pressing would do almost the same job.

Reckoner

You're missing the fact that it isn't a mandatory feature. You can totally use the phone without taking advantage of it. At least right now, but I expect it to become a huge part of the UI in the future - by then, everyone will get used to it, though.

Btw, this is it. I'll be ordering my new phone this weekend. It has been a rough two months with my Sony Ericsson W200i. Still not completely sure what to order, but maybe you guys will be the ones helping me finally decide. Right now I'm torn between the new 6s or the Z5c.

Z5c pros: Waterproof, Better design/formfactor (imo), 300 euros cheaper
6s pros: I like 3D Touch, better Apps/App Store, iOS

Ty4on

Now you see that explanation of making it feel like a button helps it make sense in my mind and the first thing I think of is playing Sonic on my phone and it being useful with that. However, the vibration may give you some feedback but you still don't have the tactile feeling of a button being pressed down, you also of course don't have the physical limits of the button there which is one of the advantages, you can feel for a button without looking but don't have that with this.

I dunno, I need to try it before I can really get my head around it I suppose.
Try a MacBook with force touch. A lot of people reply that they could swear they felt a button press even though nothing moves.

Edit: A lot of this just has to be tried first. Scrolling was awful pre iPhone because none of the other displays were capacitive and they didn't use a smooth and slippery glass surface over the screen.

Hasney

Notification LED is unfortunately dead, so it's time to accept it. Do any new phones planned have it?

Apple will get the low power screen peek thing whatever that's called at some point I'll assume, if they don't already. Not fully kept up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom