• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
Notification LED is unfortunately dead, so it's time to accept it. Do any new phones planned have it?

Apple will get the low power screen peek thing whatever that's called at some point I'll assume, if they don't already. Not fully kept up with it.

Xperia does

snacknuts

we all knew her
I've had a MacBook Pro with a force touch trackpad for a couple months and I have found it completely useless. Maybe it will prove more useful on a phone, but I doubt it.

Nicktendo86

I've had a MacBook Pro with a force touch trackpad for a couple months and I have found it completely useless. Maybe it will prove more useful on a phone, but I doubt it.

Did it feel at all like a button press to you?

Did you say earlier you have ordered a moto X pure? I will get it as soon as it hits here in the UK, can't wait.

Ty4on

Notification LED is unfortunately dead, so it's time to accept it. Do any new phones planned have it?

Apple will get the low power screen peek thing whatever that's called at some point I'll assume, if they don't already. Not fully kept up with it.
Doesn't the watch already serve this function? I can maybe see Apple doing this if watch sales don't take off.

tzare

iPhone already has its own 2.1A quick charging breh.

not in the box afaik. I did't have to buy one separately for XX€ for my note4, or a pen :p

btw: smaller battery on the I6S, seems a trend really
http://es.engadget.com/2015/09/10/iphone-6s-bateria-mas-pequena-iphone-6/?ncid=rss_truncated

well, i am not alone in this apple... android thread :p

SUch a pitty notification led is being ignored when it is an unexpensive and really useful feature (istead buy a +200€ smartwatch with barely 24h of battery life to get your notifications)

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
That's a good point actually, I hadn't thought about that. It seems to be going against the entire idea of the iPhone which was simplicity, a device that an 8 or 80 year old could use. You already need to remember a number of different taps on the home button to do things, now they are cluttering things up even further by having to work out what parts of the ui need to be pressed hard.

But what do I know, I didn't think fingerprint sensors would take off lol
But see, I think it is intuitive. Pushing harder on the screen is a natural action. When we can do it and have there be different actions from it, you'll realize how genius it is.

Time will tell.

And yeah, the force touch trackpad is indistinguishable from a mechanical button.

tzare

But see, I think it is intuitive. Pushing harder on the screen is a natural action. When we can do it and have there be different actions from it, you'll realize how genius it is.

Time will tell.

And yeah, the force touch trackpad is indistinguishable from a mechanical button.

Lol no. Pushing harder on the screen means i may break it. Maybe in the future, but not now.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Did it feel at all like a button press to you?

Did you say earlier you have ordered a moto X pure? I will get it as soon as it hits here in the UK, can't wait.

Yes, there are two distinct stages of clicking in the trackpad. I'm not sure what kind of mechanical contraption(s) they have in there making it work, because you can't force click if the computer is off.

And yes, I ordered the Moto X Pure yesterday morning. Unfortunately, my anticipated delivery date isn't until Oct. 2.

Lol no. Pushing harder on the screen means i may break it. Maybe in the future, but not now.
Not literally hard enough to break it lol. Look, I was thoroughly unimpressed with Apple's conference but I do see the usefulness of 3D touch. I just don't see the reason for $1,000.

Nicktendo86

I'd suggest it is for one very important reason which is there is no raised (or recessed) portion which denotes that that is a button. That might be fine on a trackpad but will it work on a phone? I go back to my sonic example, the thing I miss about not having a button it that my thumb tends to drift away from the button area so I have to shift my eyes from the action down to find the button. This is where I see force touch as being useful, I would now be able to leave my thumb on the button and just press it down to jump rather than lifting it off the device entirely and it drifting from the correct area.

I'm rambling now as I'm really 50-50 on the whole thing. I think it will be a standard feature in years to come for sure but I need to get hands on for it to click in my head really.

EmiPrime

I prefer the previous track pads on Mac laptops. Pressing a force track pad feels like a click but it feels different enough to feel off compared to a real one if that's what you're used to. Uncanny valley sort of thing... it's hard to describe.

Aiii

So not worth it

Honestly I don't see the added advantage over a long and short press detection, other than the feedback I guess?

But the screen gives you the feedback by launching the right function anyways, so mweh, I remain quite indifferent to the tech, it's cool from a technological standpoint, but as far as UID implications go? It seems rather insignificant.

Don't think the Nexus devices have them either? Thought the S6 ditched them too, but clearly wrong on that.

I'd be surprised if they didn't. Don't think marshmallow has whatever moto has for notifications. I'm never sure what the things on the front are but earlier leaks showed a proximity sensor and another hole, possible for LED. Could be at the bottom too below the speaker maybe. Could explain the slightly bigger bottom bezel.

The only thing worse than people clinging to SD storage are people cleaning to notification LEDs.

it's one of those things that I don't mind when they're there. Kind of useful. But at the same time when I have absolutely none like with iphone, I really don't miss it at all really.

Aiii

So not worth it
The only thing worse than people clinging to SD storage are people cleaning to notification LEDs.

I love being able to see from across the room exactly why my phone just dinged.

"Oh, it's a group message on Whatsapp, whatever."

Sure as fuck saved me a ton of time, and battery for that matter.

Don't complain about people using functionality, that's just dumb.

solarus

Yup super useful, can see from a glance whether I got a messenger notification or an email etc.

Wreav complains about everything, that's his shtick

AndyD

aka andydumi
Slightly different question for you guys.

What kind of pre-paid options are there in Belgium? We're taking a trip and would like to either buy a prepaid phone to have some data while we wonder around, or buy a prepaid sim and slap it into one of our phones. And am I correct that a sim it would not work with Verizon versions of phones (G2, Nexus 5, S3) and I should hound my friends for a GSM version of a phone?

Remember that super awesome Motorola phone with ridiculous specs--massive battery, shatterproof, etc.--coming in December?

COimr8-VEAE0Zu4.png

Just as we feared.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Try a MacBook with force touch. A lot of people reply that they could swear they felt a button press even though nothing moves.

Edit: A lot of this just has to be tried first. Scrolling was awful pre iPhone because none of the other displays were capacitive and they didn't use a smooth and slippery glass surface over the screen.

Likewise, perhaps people should also try it before declaring it a major innovation, or brilliant?

tzare

I was a staunch led light person until I used a Moto x. Moto display is just better.
It is better if you are near the phone. If you have it on the other side of the room a led colour can tell if it is an email or hangouts.... It is just convenient. And cheap as fuck and does not affect design.
Just like vibration. Ditching it is just stupid. Disable it if you don't use it.

What is next? We already lost FM radio. No gyroscope, no led, smaller batteries,no SD....?

Wreav

Banned
It is better if you are near the phone. If you have it on the other side of the room a led colour can tell if it is an email or hangouts.... It is just convenient. And cheap as fuck and does not affect design.
Just like vibration. Ditching it is just stupid. Disable it if you don'the use it.

What is next? We already lost FM radio. No gyroscope, no led, smaller batteries,no SD....?

OUR PETS' HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!

Just like vibration. Ditching it is just stupid. Disable it if you don't use it.

Idk about others but if I left my phone on the other side of the room its probably because I have other more important things to worry about. Activ display is great for glancing at things when your phone is on your desk.

Wreav

Banned
Idk about others but if I left my phone on the other side of the room its probably because I have other more important things to worry about. Activ display is great for glancing at things when your phone is on your desk.

Basically. If you care so goddamn much about a silent flashing light on your phone, your phone's probably not across the room.

daoster

Pretty excited that Pay that is upon us. I mean, it's just another way for me to spend my money, but I've been using it the last couple of days and it was pretty neat. Now that it's officially out, it should be good.

Sucks about Chase not supporting it yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom