• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimleuqiR

Anyone in the US able to use this yet? Does it work the same as the old GW?

It will work like Apple Pay.
Google Wallet was not as simple as Apple Pay. it required you to have the app opened.

Currently there are two Google Wallet apps on Google Play. The new Wallet app is just for sending people money via Email and adding balance to your physical Google Wallet Credit Card. The old Wallet app will be replaced with an update with Android Pay in the next few days.

daoster

Ah gotcha so technically I can't use it yet until the new app rolls out?

You can. It requires updating your Play Services to the newest one, and using Nova Launcher to initially get to it. Although I imagine with the actual app, you're able to choose which card you want to use, and see your total purchase history, but I've been only testing it on one card, and it works fine for me without the actual app

My primary card is an AmEx, so I'm glad that they're on that short list of supporters.

My secondary card is a Capital One Visa, so I'm not pleased that they're not on there.

Chase is my bank, but I rarely use my debit card these days.

Klotera

Sucks about Chase not supporting it yet though.

With Google Wallet, you used to be able to add any Visa or Mastercard credit card. That's no longer the case? The official Android Pay site doesn't spell it out clearly, the top part makes it look like you can use any Visa/MC/Amex, but then below it it show banks and talks about participating banks.

Chase is huge (and what I use), so that would be a big miss.

Well I hope Wells Fargo is soon so I can use that, but I will probably be using my Discover for the time being just to try it out.

EDIT: Yea no Chase sucks, but I don't use Chase so having WF and BoA is good for me.

tzare

Idk about others but if I left my phone on the other side of the room its probably because I have other more important things to worry about. Activ display is great for glancing at things when your phone is on your desk.
Dunno. I get home and leave it by the TV or on the sofa's arm and do something else. You now, I do not take it with me all the time:I wear slips at home instead of jeans with pockets, I have kids and play with them in their room and sometimes I do not hear a call or a notification sound from a message. I may go to prepare dinner and from the distance I see the led flashing. Oh my wife or mother sent me a message,will reply, or a email from work i will do that later. Such a strange situation .
Believe it or not there are different patterns on how people use their phones. So i don't use the spO2 or heart rate monitor on my note 4 but someone may find it useful. I use the IR blaster a lot and i'D listen to live FM if my phone had it instead of having to waste data and battery by streaming using an app.
But let's throw off the window everything just because someone doesn't use it. Maybe we could start ditching cameras. Many people I know never take pics. It would make sense.

daoster

With Google Wallet, you used to be able to add any Visa or Mastercard credit card. That's no longer the case? The official Android Pay site doesn't spell it out clearly, the top part makes it look like you can use any Visa/MC/Amex, but then below it it show banks and talks about participating banks.

Chase is huge (and what I use), so that would be a big miss.

I think with Google Wallet, Google charged everything using a Virtual Master Card, so that's why all cards and banks were allowed. THis time around, if you're paying with Amex, you're truly paying with Amex.

The Bank needs to support it. I've tried adding Chase, and it didn't work.

Which is curious, because their initial announcement in May, Chase was listed as a supporting bank.

http://officialandroid.blogspot.com/2015/05/pay-your-way-with-android.html

Dunno. I get home and leave it by the TV or on the sofa's arm and do something else. You now, I do not take it with me all the time:I wear slips at home instead of trasera with pockets, I have kids play with them in their room and sometimes no not hear a call or a notification sound. I may go to prepare dinner and from the distance I see the led flashing. Such a strange situation .
Believe it or not there are different patterns on how people use their phones. So i don't use the spO2 or heart rate monitor on my note 4 but someone may find it useful. I use the IR blaster a lot and i'D listen to live FM if my phone had it instead of having to waste data and battery by streaming using an app.
But let's throw off the window everything just because someone doesn't use it. Maybe we could start ditching cameras. Many people I know never take pics. It makes sense.

Everyone should just get an iPhone. It would be so much easier.

tzare

Everyone should just get an iPhone. It would be so much easier.
Yes just like matrix. Or Madara's Infinite Tsukuyomi. Let apple decide what I need. Next step, pencils😂

So happy with my chromecast and doing everything from my phone ,launch plex, use my TV and av receiver. But I guess would be easier to buy a 149€ apple TV and an iPhone to do that. Well no, i'D need two remotes, tv and av,but who cares

It will work like Apple Pay.
Google Wallet was not as simple as Apple Pay. it required you to have the app opened.

Currently there are two Google Wallet apps on Google Play. The new Wallet app is just for sending people money via Email and adding balance to your physical Google Wallet Credit Card. The old Wallet app will be replaced with an update with Android Pay in the next few days.
Are you saying you had to open the app first before using Wallet to make a mobile payment? Because if so, that's not true. It would open on its own when a terminal was detected.

Or am I misinterpreting your post?

Wreav

Banned
Yes just like matrix. Or Madara's Infinite Tsukuyomi. Let apple decide what I need. Next step, pencils😂

So happy with my chromecast and doing everything from my phone ,launch plex, use my TV and av receiver. But I guess would be easier to buy a 149€ apple TV and an iPhone to do that. Well no, i'D need two remotes, tv and av,but who cares
You know Plex and Chromecast work just fine on iOS right? 👍🏻

tzare

Yes. And the IR blaster, how do you use it, glued to the back of the iphone?

Wasn't 3Dtouch about saving two steps, convenience, but other convenient features (fm, ir, sd, led...)are just not needed because...

There are some features that have some 'cons' then it is a matter of choice( stereo speakers vs bezel), but others, just are plain stupid to leave behind.

sounds like a huge downgrade by requiring the bank to go along with it.

doubt my local credit union will jump in.

Official bank service makes it better cause the banks will actually help you if anything happens. The GW implementation if anything happens you have to do it through Google so it was a very archaic method. I agree limiting banks suck, but that's one of the benefits of actual having a major bank I suppose.

Official bank service makes it better cause the banks will actually help you if anything happens. The GW implementation if anything happens you have to do it through Google so it was a very archaic method. I agree limiting banks suck, but that's one of the benefits of actual having a major bank I suppose.

why would anything happen with a secure tokenized transaction system?

daoster

sounds like a huge downgrade by requiring the bank to go along with it.

doubt my local credit union will jump in.

Not for me. I'm into getting all these bonus points between all my credit card, and certain cards have categories that pay out more points than others. The new method allows these banks to properly categorize my purchases, as opposed to the old GW method, which only charged my card as Google Wallet, instead of something like..a Supermarket, or a restaurant.

It should be noted that not all banks will be supported at the start. Google says credit and debit cards will work with some of the most popular banks and credit unions such as American Express, Bank of America, Discover, Navy Federal Credit Union, PNC, Regions Bank, USAA and U.S. Bank. Citi and Wells Fargo support will be rolling out in the next few days, and Capital One is coming soon, as well. Unfortunately, if your bank isn’t included on that list, you can’t use Android Pay when it launches. Google will however be adding more and more banks as time goes on.

Decent list. I would assume that covers half of the users in the US at least if not more. On second thought AMEX, Discover, CIti, BoA, and WF alone covers more than half the US. Chase is the big one that's left in the dust.

jwk94

So Android Pay doesn't support Chase and it uses your actual credit card instead of a spoof? This sounds like a huge downgrade from Google Wallet.

So Android Pay doesn't support Chase and it uses your actual credit card instead of a spoof? This sounds like a huge downgrade from Google Wallet.

We know how important it is to keep your personal and financial information secure, so Android Pay is supported by industry standard tokenization. This means your real credit or debit card number isn't sent with your payment. Instead, we’ll use a virtual account number that provides an extra layer of security. As soon as you make a purchase, you’ll see a payment confirmation that shows where a given transaction happened, so it’s easy to catch any suspicious activity. And if your phone is ever lost or stolen, simply use Android Device Manager to instantly lock your device from anywhere, secure it with a new password, or even wipe it clean of your personal information.

???

Decent list. I would assume that covers half of the users in the US at least if not more. On second thought AMEX, Discover, CIti, BoA, and WF alone covers more than half the US. Chase is the big one that's left in the dust.

so they downgraded from every card to... about half... maybe... yep, sounds like Google.

daoster

Wait, so what appears on a receipt? Your credit card or something else? Right now with Google Wallet, a Master Card number is there.

A virtual Amex card with a new randomized number.

So lets say my Amex right now is ends with 1997. On my Receipt using Android Pay, the last 4 digit that shows up is an Amex card with the last four digit being 2007.

SimleuqiR

so they downgraded from every card to... about half... maybe... yep, sounds like Google.

Google can't force these companies to support Android Pay. They have to play nice. They are probably still negotiating or implementation is not complete yet.

I remember reading that all these companies learn from Apple Pay - because they gave Apple too much control. So the deal(s) they came up for Android Pay are not really favorable to Google.

I'm sure we all know this year apple will invent a pen that comes out of the Iphone6s +

Cause no one else has done it!
Well they did succumb and followed like sheep with a “me too” big screen last year without implementing anything worth a shit to go with that size compared to what Samsung brought for the phablet category. This time around it seems they’re far more inclusive in who to copy from, be it Microsoft, to HTC, to fucking Nintendo. They did bring a rather nifty plan to make sure you don’t lose that stylus though…
by charging you $99 for it!

i still don't see it as a huge improvement, time will tell. But i guess apple fans need to search for something , and since the conference was quite dull, 3Dtouch (lol) makes it
Well, time will tell I suppose but there’s nothing particularly revolutionary about 3D touch from what I could gather from their presentation. If you ask me, the whole preview or hover thingy seems more like an overcompensating maneuver to get around Apple’s lack of a back button. The conference was not only dull but also kinda patronizing, felt like I’m being talked to like some fucking retard with no clue how they’re attempting to copy minor features and passing them off like some incredible breakthrough innovation.

tzare

Just watched MKBHD ipad pro hands on.... lol at the way that pen has to charge. Hilarious.
Do spens have battery? Never heard of that

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Come to the UK this time googy. You need to compete with Apple Pay, plus we've had nfc payment for years now. No more excuses.

Google can't force these companies to support Android Pay. They have to play nice. They are probably still negotiating or implementation is not complete yet.

I remember reading that all these companies learn from Apple Pay - because they gave Apple too much control. So the deal(s) they came up for Android Pay are not really favorable to Google.

exactly. so why downgrade?

Because having the proper meta data and getting the proper rewards for your spend is important to a lot of people, one would presume.
Yep. Besides, unsupported cards that you already have working with Wallet will be grandfathered in with Android Pay, but just for a limited time (possibly a year or longer), which should hopefully be more than enough time for additional banks and card companies to get on board.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...e-to-android-pay-but-only-for-a-limited-time/

Because I'm impatient and don't want to wait for Google's typical multi-day rollout, I went ahead and upgraded to the newest Google Play Services and activated Android Pay.

Excited to give it a spin when I stop at the grocery (where I've previously used Wallet) right after work.

jwk94

Because I'm impatient and don't want to wait for Google's typical multi-day rollout, I went ahead and upgraded to the newest Google Play Services and activated Android Pay.

Excited to give it a spin when I stop at the grocery (where I've previously used Wallet) right after work.
How did you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom