• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of android OEM numbers are out.

Lenovo tanking (thanks moto). They dropped form 90 million to 72 million. Xiaomi also did 72 million which is lower than their own target of 100 million. LG continued to decline overall though I think they had a slightly better quarter than last. too lazy to check again.

In China Oppo/Huawei are doing ok. Vivo too.

Samsung is expected to be down as well. Down for allllllllllll.

Even the great and mighty Apple are for the first time ever forecasting decreased sales of iPhone. The party's over guys. Time to sell all your stock!

Vanish

So it seems like my Galaxy Note 2 has finally passed away :(

Anyone got suggestions on what the best Android phone on the market is right now? I don't really keep up with this kinda stuff.

Note: I love my big ass screens so it has to be minimum 5.5 inches.

So it seems like my Galaxy Note 2 has finally passed away :(

Anyone got suggestions on what the best Android phone on the market is right now? I don't really keep up with this kinda stuff.

Note: I love my big ass screens so it has to be minimum 5.5 inches.
Note 5, Nexus 6P, LG V10

Schrade

Just curious, how well do those browsers you guys are talking about handle the first page of this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164159

When you view that page, how's the scrolling while the images are loading? Any poor performance or anything?

I'm asking because Pale Moon for Android handles that page like a champ on my Nexus 7 (2013) and it surprised the heck out of me.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Google to kill hangouts. Nice. We need a New Hope.

Hangouts has too much marketshare in the business to die at this point.

Google is turning messenger into an imessage competitor by adding data and bots.

Hangouts will be regeared for business even more.

Watch.

Quasar

Forgot that Google is just borrowing resources from OEM's (manufacturing lines and some design people). So the 2016 nexus doesn't have to suck, even if HTC is making them(thank goodness). Would love another Samsung nexus though. The Note 5 with stock Android and a slightly better battery life would be the GOAT phone. The current Nexus 6 is already close.

I continue to want a Sony Nexus. That seems like the only way to get any presence in the US.

I continue to want a Sony Nexus. That seems like the only way to get any presence in the US.

Sony doesn't know how to design phones with more than 1 kind of antenna. This rules them out for Nexus ever, which have to work on more worldwide networks and bands than I care to try and count.

The US is a double-problem because the largest carrier here (Verizon) is still stuck on CDMA2000 until at least 2020.

Multitasking could be solved if Google adds multi-window into the next version of Android, but come on does anybody actually use the pen constantly? I remember when I got a Note 3 I used it a few times for the novelty effect and didn't touch it again.

i've use the S-Pen constantly for 3+ years now starting with my Note II and now my Note 4.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
i've use the S-Pen constantly for 3+ years now starting with my Note II and now my Note 4.
Same here. I use it all the time to save stuff, cut stuff and share it. It's great.

Also, I gave that CAF browser a try. I still prefer lightning browser. It just loads everything faster for me.

ana

Weird..
My LG g4 has been for about 17 hours so far and eventhough today i used training app for my workout it still has 75% battery left.. Though i did uninstall facebook and facebook messenger and installed facebook lite.

Hopefully its not a bug in battery stats or something similar :-D

Matush

Hey Droid GAF.

I'm thinking about picking up a new android phone. Currently I am on Galaxy S5, slowly but surely it's getting slower, I'm getting constant "no SIM card found" messages and camera is not as great as I hoped.

Most I am willing to spend is 300€, (I bought S5 for 280€). I am looking for fast phone with as less bloatware as possible, great camera and MicroSD slot. Any suggestions? I was looking at OnePlusTwo/X or Nexus, but I am at lost. Should I wait until new phones are announced, or just jump in now?

No Love

Banned
Weird..
My LG g4 has been for about 17 hours so far and eventhough today i used training app for my workout it still has 75% battery left.. Though i did uninstall facebook and facebook messenger and installed facebook lite.

Hopefully its not a bug in battery stats or something similar :-D

How the fuck do some people get such great battery life on the G4? Smh fuckin' LG

Jigolo

Hey Droid GAF.

I'm thinking about picking up a new android phone. Currently I am on Galaxy S5, slowly but surely it's getting slower, I'm getting constant "no SIM card found" messages and camera is not as great as I hoped.

Most I am willing to spend is 300€, (I bought S5 for 280€). I am looking for fast phone with as less bloatware as possible, great camera and MicroSD slot. Any suggestions? I was looking at OnePlusTwo/X or Nexus, but I am at lost. Should I wait until new phones are announced, or just jump in now?

You have a small budget. I don't think waiting for new phones because they will all be more than 300. G4 would be my recommendation but that's going to be slower just like your S5 and has a huge hardware defect that makes the device bootloop.

Damn. But pretty much any new phone coming out will have the things you want and be future proof like the LG G5 or Galaxy S7

malfcn

Since the last couple updates, gaf is jumpy in Firefox on my phone. It's kind of jittery, a bit hard to describe but when I scroll it seems to jump around.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Hey Droid GAF.

Try a factory reset first

Hey Droid GAF.

Try resetting it first.

If you don't care too much about the MicroSD card slot jump on a Nexus 6P today, it's currently the best Android phone.

tzare

Hey Droid GAF.

Maybe you could find a xperia z2 for that price.
Nexus 5x is now on sale but still above 300€.

Quixzlizx

I didn't get an answer the first time I asked, but is the CAF browser absolutely worthless for someone without a Snapdragon, or does it have other optimizations? Do I just stick with Chrome?

Vlad

Hey Droid GAF.

I've got a 3rd Gen Moto G, and I've been plenty pleased with it. It runs on what's almost entirely stock Android (there's a couple of Motorola apps that are easily disabled), isn't too gigantic, and is fairly cheap. From the reviews I've read, it doesn't have the same power as other, more expensive phones, but I haven't had any issues with responsiveness or anything.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I didn't get an answer the first time I asked, but is the CAF browser absolutely worthless for someone without a Snapdragon, or does it have other optimizations? Do I just stick with Chrome?
It's free. Why don't you just try it and report back?

So a Dev over on XDA has been digging into the PIxel C

Not a bad read: http://forum.xda-developers.com/pixel-c/general/pixel-c-rant-developer-perspective-t3301632
Wow. So it's a ChromeOS device that boots Android. It doesn't sound like (stock) Android is the problem here. It doesn't even sound like Tegra is much of an issue. Google just launched a half-baked product.

Google should've just left it running the touch optimized version of ChromeOS that the Pixel team was already working on. If the rumor about them merging the two is true, that could've just come as an update in the future when everything was ready. Or they could've just not released the thing until they got Android running on it properly.

It's a shame, too, because the hardware is capable and the design is gorgeous.

Saiyan-Rox

Wow. So it's a ChromeOS device that boots Android. It doesn't sound like (stock) Android is the problem here. It doesn't even sound like Tegra is much of an issue. Google just launched a half-baked product.

Google should've just left it running the touch optimized version of ChromeOS that the Pixel team was already working on. If the rumor about them merging the two is true, that could've just come as an update in the future when everything was ready. Or they could've just not released the thing until they got Android running on it properly.

It's a shame, too, because the hardware is capable and the design is gorgeous.

The funny part is its still got so much Chrome OS left in it Google could still allow us to put Chrome OS on it. It's chromeOS up until it boots Android...what a mess.

Seems like development for it might be a pain in the ass swell...not that I had planned of flashing anything on it anyway.

Hey Droid GAF.

lenovo just launched Vibe x3. There are many like this phones under 300$. S5 still runs like champ for many that I know. As everyone said reset it. Clean it up a little and it might turn better.

The funny part is its still got so much Chrome OS left in it Google could still allow us to put Chrome OS on it. It's chromeOS up until it boots Android...what a mess.

Seems like development for it might be a pain in the ass swell...not that I had planned of flashing anything on it anyway.
Yeah, it's crazy. Google dropped the ball big time with this thing. Probably the worst product they've ever put out.

Alright, so the only issue I have with these caf browsers are how they load pages. Particularly when loading up a long page. Chrome would load the whole page at once. Caf browsers progressively load it from top to bottom. It's annoying as hell and almost makes me want to just use Chrome again.

ukas

Yeah, it's crazy. Google dropped the ball big time with this thing. Probably the worst product they've ever put out.

The hyperbole around here regarding the Pixel C is out of hand. Like I've said before, other than the WiFi issue, I've had 0 issues with mine. Way better than my Nexus 7, 9, 10, and Shield Tablet.

Saiyan-Rox

The hyperbole around here regarding the Pixel C is out of hand. Like I've said before, other than the WiFi issue, I've had 0 issues with mine. Way better than my Nexus 7, 9, 10, and Shield Tablet.

Lucky you.

I don't have WiFi issues but the touchscreen I have had problems with. Lag/stuttering too and total lock up when trying to wake it up.

The worst lag I've had is when uninstalling an app. Spotify and the whole tablet started stuttering and stoping and the tablet locked up for bit until it was done. This only happened once but still.

RJM77

Lucky you.

I don't have WiFi issues but the touchscreen I have had problems with. Lag/stuttering too and total lock up when trying to wake it up.

The worst lag I've had is when uninstalling an app. Spotify and the whole tablet started stuttering and stoping and the tablet locked up for bit until it was done. This only happened once but still.

Some might say the bar is super low, but the Pixel C is the best Android tablet I've had. Somehow, I have none of the issues people have complained about. I only use it as a tablet, and purchased it with no intention of getting the keyboard.
For me, the Nexus 9 has been easily the worst Google device I've ever owned.

Some might say the bar is super low, but the Pixel C is the best Android tablet I've had. Somehow, I have none of the issues people have complained about. I only use it as a tablet, and purchased it with no intention of getting the keyboard.
For me, the Nexus 9 has been easily the worst Google device I've ever owned.

What were the issues with the Nexus 9 that made you think that? Just curious. Still holding off on the Pixel C because my 9 has been so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom