• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, ok. would suck for something that already worked to stop working because of Google being Google.
Oh definitely. In fact, I expected as much (Google being Google) until I saw that AP post. Why Google didn't include that info in their Android Pay blog post, I don't know. Or at least, I didn't see that info in that blog post.

Just to make this clear, if you have a card that's not supported by Android Pay at launch, make sure it's in Google Wallet before you upgrade if you want to use it.

Just to test out the card addition process, I attempted to add my Chase debit card (which, as I noted on the last page, I rarely use) through Android Pay and was not able to add it. Got a pop-up notice saying the issuer doesn't support it.

So basically, Android Pay will grandfather in unsupported cards that were in your old Google Wallet, but you can't add new unsupported cards through Android Pay.

jay23

Remember that super awesome Motorola phone with ridiculous specs--massive battery, shatterproof, etc.--coming in December?

Just as we feared.

Holy fuck this is ugly why can't they just put the logo on the back of the phone.

I'm looking for a PayPal alternative will android pay allow you to securely send and receive money from other people?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I stopped caring about a notification LED once I got Android Wear.

My Zenpad's display just stops working sometimes and needs a reboot. Anyone else with this issue?

My Zenpad's display just stops working sometimes and needs a reboot. Anyone else with this issue?

Don't have this issue. Double tap to wake sucks on this though. More like quadruple tap to wake amirite?

Jzero

Stop buying Android tablets already and go Windows. Android is only good on phones.

that sounds like a possible future solution. when smartwatches step out of the garbage era, an led notification may finally not matter. then again, nobody has been able to do that yet and everyone has tried.

should have gotten a Tab S

Is there an app where I can get notifications on my watch, but not on my phone? One that just redirects notifications? I really don't need both my phone and watch to tell me I got somethin.

Jzero

Is there an app where I can get notifications on my watch, but not on my phone? One that just redirects notifications? I really don't need both my phone and watch to tell me I got somethin.

Yes, it's called the Android Wear app.

NUVenwz.png

I think the last time I didn't have a notification light on my phone was when I tried out the iPhone 5 for a few weeks back when it came out. I didn't even consider it when I was buying the phone, but I quickly became annoyed that it wasn't there and even changed a setting that let you use the flash as a notification light, but that was a little extreme.

If Samsung keeps making phones without removable batteries and expandable memory and other companies stop making notification lights, then I may have to ditch it next time I upgrade. But I do like Motorola's screen flashing thing, that seems to be a good alternative to it.

reKon

Banned
Sounds like your search for a not crap Android tablet is going to be back on.

damn lol

Stop buying Android tablets already and go Windows. Android is only good on phones.

for 90% of users, android is good for it can do on tablets.

With a good processor and plenty of ram and good screen, mulitasking while browsing and youtube, watching movies, reading, PS4 remote play, and solid app selection you can't go wrong. The problem with cheap windows tablets are that they are underspec'd, have worse screen quality and generally bad battery life. They also generally heavier and not as slim.

With that said, the surface line is still awesome and a great alternative, but for $300 and lower I don't think there's a windows tablet that the big things that matter like good screen, battery life, and is slim. The Asus Transformer Chi Book or w/e it's called could have been that, but it's still kind of underpowered and they fucked with their keyboard

I never liked the surface much. Seems cliche but I didn't like it as a laptop and I didn't like it as a tablet. iPad is better if you want a pure tablet to me. Surface is better if you'd rather have a PC with some tablet functionality.

Hasney

Nah, I'd rather have a laptop generally, but the flexibility of Windows is too good to downgrade to iOS for. Still, one of those good quality 13" convertible laptops would do best so you can do both whenever. Surface feels too flimsy with the keyboard cover to use as a laptop replacements but it's a fantastic tablet.

For me as a college student doing computer programming, the Surface is infinitely superior to an iPad. It's amusing to see the iPad Pro mimic the same functionality. Too bad it still has iOS instead of OSX.

reKon

Banned
It'll like searching for a unicorn. You won't find one because they don't exist.

My Galaxy Tab S2 is actually very nice.

Also, the Xperia Z4 Tablet is amazing for what it is, but people here act like it doesn't exist.

I'm not saying that it's better than a Surface Pro, but it's definitely still a fantastic device in use.

Salsa

my mid range phone search continues

forget about how better the prices are in the US and hear me for a minute

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.uy/MLU-428321480-motorola-moto-g-2-gen-2014-xt1068-accesorios-_JM

Moto G 2nd gen + all accesories + 4 screen films + tpu cover + 32gig microsd = 190 bucks. has 6 months of use

phone here goes for $270 new

other options incude: LG G3 Beat on contract

buying a 1 year used, no accesories Nexus 5 for basically 90 bucks more than this Moto G

yeah yeah, phone prices suck in Uruguay. put it aside, and what say you GAF?

edit: previous phone was a Galaxy S3

nobody reads.

What is Android Pay?

Is it like Samsung Pay, but worse? Sounds like it.
like Google Wallet sliced in two but worse.

Android Pay doesn't support Chase cards, but Apple Pay and Samsung Pay do.

Guess I'll wait for Samsung.
you were supposed to register your card to Google Wallet first then upgrade to Android Pay and get grandfathered in.

For me as a college student doing computer programming, the Surface is infinitely superior to an iPad. It's amusing to see the iPad Pro mimic the same functionality. Too bad it still has iOS instead of OSX.
yep, love my Surface Pro.

My Galaxy Tab S2 is actually very nice.

Also, the Xperia Z4 Tablet is amazing for what it is, but people here act like it doesn't exist.

I'm not saying that it's better than a Surface Pro, but it's definitely still a fantastic device in use.
i really like my Tab S.

I just read a couple note 5 reviews. Never really followed them. Seems like the battery life kinda sucks? I thought someone here said 3000mah is enough for 5.7 qhd but apparently not lol. 3000 would be better for a 5.1 inch screen like the S7. Make it so.

I just read a couple note 5 reviews. Never really followed them. Seems like the battery life kinda sucks? I thought someone here said 3000mah is enough for 5.7 qhd but apparently not lol. 3000 would be better for a 5.1 inch screen like the S7. Make it so.

Weird. All the reviews I read has praised the battery life.

Weird. All the reviews I read has praised the battery life.
I really only read reviews from the sites I actually care about reviews from lol: Android Police and Mobile Syrup

But I did just read a bunch of others (engadget/android central/etc...) and some of them do say it's good enough. Still seems like a downgrade over the note 4. I agree with engadget I think it was that said that if they go big they should go big on everything.

tzare

I really only read reviews from the sites I actually care about reviews from lol: Android Police and Mobile Syrup

But I did just read a bunch of others (engadget/android central/etc...) and some of them do say it's good enough. Still seems like a downgrade over the note 4. I agree with engadget I think it was that said that if they go big they should go big on everything.
Not sure if the promise of more power efficient SoCs is behind this trend, but most major smartphone manufacturers have reduced (slightly) the size of the batteries in their flagships, including samsung, sony and apple

the ones i read said it was almost as good as the Note 4, which is great to me.

I don't see why I should have to do a workaround. If Apple and Samsung can get Chase on board, why can't Google?

because Google. i agree that it once again shows how amateur hour they can be, but if you actually want to use your card, that's the hoop to jump thru. also, if you're rooted, you'll need to unroot to setup. then you can re-root.

Not sure if the promise of more power efficient SoCs is behind this trend, but most major smartphone manufacturers have put smaller batteries on their flagships, including samsung, sony and apple
The android manufacturers are all pretty dumb though. No SoC is efficient enough to power a huge QHD display without losses. I wouldn't even hate smaller batteries if it matched the previous years battery life (like I'm sure the 6s does). But to go to worse battery life one year later is backwards to me.

Schlep

My T-Mo Note 5 has significantly longer battery life than the Note 4 did. A lot of that was the jank 5.0.1 update, but some of it is simply that the Note 5 is more efficient. I work from home, so I'm on WiFi most of the day during the week. Usually at bedtime (~16-17 hours off the charger) I'm at 50%+. On the weekends I'm rarely on WiFi, and make it to the end of the day with about 15-20% battery.

I have VoLTE off, but haven't made any other tweaks. Most of the apps I use are in dark mode, which makes a decent difference on amoled.

My T-Mo Note 5 has significantly longer battery life than the Note 4 did. A lot of that was the jank 5.0.1 update, but some of it is simply that the Note 5 is more efficient. I work from home, so I'm on WiFi most of the day during the week. Usually at bedtime (~16-17 hours off the charger) I'm at 50%+. On the weekends I'm rarely on WiFi, and make it to the end of the day with about 15-20% battery.

I have VoLTE off, but haven't made any other tweaks. Most of the apps I use are in dark mode, which makes a decent difference on amoled.
meh in the end it's not surprising for a samsung phone to have wildly different battery from phone to phone based on usage and the apps people use.

The android manufacturers are all pretty dumb though. No SoC is efficient enough to power a huge QHD display without losses. I wouldn't even hate smaller batteries if it matched the previous years battery life (like I'm sure the 6s does). But to go to worse battery life one year later is backwards to me.

but the Note 4 has a QHD screen.

Chase is also a shitty bank. So there's that.

every major bank is. you don't get to be a big bank by being good. you get there by hooking and crooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom