• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hitgirl

How are people liking their Nexus 5x? I've been to two countries and five states with mine already, holding out great as my daily driver. Initially I was frustrated with the horrible battery life and buggy software. My friend helped me installed Cyanogen Mod and wow it's a night and day difference. Been using that Rom for about two months now and I can go 2 1/2 days without charging my phone and the OS is lightning quick and bug free. Looking forward to trying other Roms.

Jigolo

Still my daily driver after almost 2 years.

Mediocre battery life but I knew that.

Bone stock since I've had it with no issues in regards to software. I have no idea what you guys do to the phone to get buggy software.

Will upgrade later this year

Bloodember

Still my daily driver after almost 2 years.

Mediocre battery life but I knew that.

Bone stock since I've had it with no issues in regards to software. I have no idea what you guys do to the phone to get buggy software.

Will upgrade later this year
How have you had the Nexus 5x For 2 years?

Flashed stock/official marahmallow update on my LG G3.

Doze.

Wow.

Went to bed with 53% battery.

Woke up with 52% battery.

Installed an app that can enable an unofficial "aggressive doze" that activates doze in minutes instead of hours of inactivity for extra bonus.

Marshmallow is a necessary update for all phones.

Which app? Does it require root?

reKon

Banned
Old, but I agree with everything in here.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...-pixel-c-and-it-seems-like-a-pretty-bad-idea/

This is why I refuse to spend more than $300 on a tablet. I spent that much on my Tab S2 because strong web browsing performance is what I desired the most along with an excellent screen. I'm hoping that they continue to make good progress with remix OS, because I'm willing to buy a compact dedicated USB drive and sticking that my inevitable windows tablet so I can use both. I really just want to be able to use certain Android apps.

None of this would have been an issue if Google would get it together and merge Chrome OS with Android. I probably wouldn't feel the need to have a windows tablet because I do any sort of gaming on my desktop and I only runn microsoft office apps on my work computer.

I still don't understand why Chrome OS still exists and Google didn't just push Android PC/Laptops years ago. That shit probably would've greatly damaged the Windows platform when the disaster that was Windows 8 launched. Not to mention if there were PC's/Laptops running Android that could have given the platform the productivity/app boosts it needed to be taken more seriously on tablets.

Android could have further dominated third-world countries if it was available on a PC platform and significantly cheaper than Windows based devices. I know Microsoft has manufacturers pushing out cheaper Chromebook like Windows Laptops, but I owned one and the performance was utter crap compared to my $100 Chromebook.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Doze kills some background syncing which is fine. I understand. But it shouldn't while the phone is charging. Pocket casts and Press won't automated sync. Weak.

Quasar

Whats there to laugh about? Android TV is the shit and Sony Android TV's are selling extremely well.

Hopefully we'll see more TV makers selling them soon. Of course with samsung and LG never going to I wonder about the market.

My only issue is lack of apps from major players (at least here in Australia). Which is why I bought a ATV4 (rather than upgrading from a Nexus Player to a Shield) as I had more faith that Apple would get all the right people making apps quicker.

Rbk_3

Are the lag issues on the 5x really as bad as I have been reading? What are the experiences here? I have mine ordered and on the way.

ctfg23

I put my SIM card into an iPhone for like 10 minutes and now I can't receive messages from people with iPhones because they're trying to send via iMessage. I've tried putting the SIM card back into the iPhone and turning off iMessage and FaceTime and texting STOP to 48369 and nothing is working. Any help?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are the lag issues on the 5x really as bad as I have been reading? What are the experiences here? I have mine ordered and on the way.
Yes.

I put my SIM card into an iPhone for like 10 minutes and now I can't receive messages from people with iPhones because they're trying to send via iMessage. I've tried putting the SIM card back into the iPhone and turning off iMessage and FaceTime and texting STOP to 48369 and nothing is working. Any help?
Google it. Common issue.

Quasar

I dunno. Mine seems fine. Listening to The Material podcast though, Andy had camera lag issues over time which seems to be third party apps.

Saiyan-Rox

I thought they fixed that ages ago :S

This is so stupid. From Googling this has been happening to people for years. How has this not been addressed?

I thought they fixed that ages ago :S

They did. You used to have to chat with Apple support online (which you probably still can do for help). They fixed the problem for almost everyone by just turning of iMessage and FaceTime with your SIM in the iPhone but you can manually deregister your number from the iMessage servers here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Ultratech

I haven't had any issues with mine other than when I first migrated everything on my phone and it lagged up trying to download/install ALL my previous apps.

Camera lags a little bit I think, but I think that's an Auto HDR issue.
Either just leave it on or turn it off. It's not huge lag either way.

Other than that though, I haven't really seen any lag doing just regular stuff.

I wonder if all the lag issue stuff is just people running too much stuff at once, bad phones, or apps that aren't compatible w/Marshmallow or whatever.

I haven't had any issues with mine other than when I first migrated everything on my phone and it lagged up trying to download/install ALL my previous apps.

Camera lags a little bit I think, but I think that's an Auto HDR issue.
Either just leave it on or turn it off. It's not huge lag either way.

Other than that though, I haven't really seen any lag doing just regular stuff.

I wonder if all the lag issue stuff is just people running too much stuff at once, bad phones, or apps that aren't compatible w/Marshmallow or whatever.

No, i have minimal apps on my phone. Mine did get better after switching to rs browser and disabling chrome. It also got a hair better after the January security update. You need to let your phone have uptime as it gets worse by the day.

It's the OS and CPU. The 6p suffers similar issues just not near as bad. Pick up a Nexus 5 next to the Nexus 5x and you will be shocked.

reKon

Banned
Wtf is going on with thtis phone http://m.androidcentral.com/nexus-5x-three-months

There's no reason that Google should be messing up Nexus releases like this..

It seems like software is always the issue here. Do they not have a good enough team anymore to design Android and bring significant improvements? I don't understand why the 5X would be having issues on Masrshmallow if the main purpose of it was refinement.

Noema

2GB of RAM is the N5X's Achilles heel. It's passable, but Android still leaks memory like crazy (which is why rebooting the phone helps for a day or two) and it still gobbles RAM like candy (better with ART than with Dalvik).

Nexus imprint is nice, but if I had to pick between 3GB of RAM and the fingerprint reader, I'd got for 3GB all day, everyday. It's sad that they cheapened out on the RAM.

2GB of RAM is the N5X's Achilles heel. It's passable, but Android still leaks memory like crazy (which is why rebooting the phone helps for a day or two) and it still gobbles RAM like candy (better with ART than with Dalvik).

Nexus imprint is nice, but if I had to pick between 3GB of RAM and the fingerprint reader, I'd got for 3GB all day, everyday. It's sad that they cheapened out on the RAM.

From my experiences you seem partially accurate. Its 64 bit Encrypted L/M.

Devices that are on 32 bit L/M un-encrypted with only 2 gb of ram do not seem to be suffering like this.

Edit: Android in its current state is a hog and its not helping that google is forcing encryption on new phones. It needs 3/4 GB of RAM, Snapdragon 820+ and super fast flash. When your phone is getting bogged down by crappy software/memory mgmt you need as much cpu and flash speed as you can get. The last thing they need is shitty 808/810/Tegras overheating. I think the s7 will actually be a pretty good performer just annoyed its not USB C.

Jigolo

Wrong. It's both hardware and software.

5X was a rushed product
808 is a sucky chip

Nexus 5 is smooth as butter with 2gb of ram and a weaker chip

Wrong. It's both hardware and software.

5X was a rushed product
808 is a sucky chip

Nexus 5 is smooth as butter with 2gb of ram and a weaker chip

You are right that its both hardware and software however the extra gig of ram definitely helps hide the problem a bit. Also, the nexus 5 is not encrypted by default and is only running a 32 bit operating system. It has it much easier than the 5x.

this_guy

It was really laggy using the camera and snap chat. I'm using the 2015 Moto X Pure and performance is much better.

It was really laggy using the camera and snap chat. I'm using the 2015 Moto X Pure and performance is much better.

2015 Moto X Pure Edition didnt launch with Marshmallow so it didnt have mandatory encryption. I could be wrong but if you could check to see if you are encrypted that would be sweet.

Edit: Also for all we know it may not even be running a 64 bit version of Android. This would be interesting to see too.

Noema

From my experiences you seem partially accurate. Its 64 bit Encrypted L/M.

Devices that are on 32 bit L/M un-encrypted with only 2 gb of ram do not seem to be suffering like this.

It's interesting because 64-bit cryptography should be faster than 32-bit cryptography.

Then again a larger memory address space increases the size of pointers, which consecutively increases the memory footprint of 64-bit applications processes. Which could explain why the Nexus 5 seemingly outperforms the 5X.

this_guy

2015 Moto X Pure Edition didnt launch with Marshmallow so it didnt have mandatory encryption. I could be wrong but if you could check to see if you are encrypted that would be sweet.

Edit: Also for all we know it may not even be running a 64 bit version of Android. This would be interesting to see too.

I don't have mandatory encryption and I'm using Marshmallow on my Moto X. I have the option of encrypting the phone. This is Android 6.0

I think the 5x has a couple of things against it - the encryption and only having 2gb of ram while using 64 bit processor/os. I was also semi interested in the HTC A9 (ultimately battery was too small and price was too high for what it offered) and all the reviews say performance is snappy and there's no mention of lag like how people mention the 5x. The HTC A9 has a lesser cpu (snapdragon 617) than the 5x but has 3gb of ram.

I don't have mandatory encryption and I'm using Marshmallow on my Moto X. I have the option of encrypting the phone. This is Android 6.0

I think the 5x has a couple of things against it - the encryption and only having 2gb of ram while using 64 bit processor/os. I was also semi interested in the HTC A9 (ultimately battery was too small and price was too high for what it offered) and all the reviews say performance is snappy and there's no mention of lag like how people mention the 5x. The HTC A9 has a lesser cpu (snapdragon 617) than the 5x but has 3gb of ram.

Yeah your phone launched with lollipop which is why encryption wasn't mandatory. Thanks for the info.

ctfg23

They did. You used to have to chat with Apple support online (which you probably still can do for help). They fixed the problem for almost everyone by just turning of iMessage and FaceTime with your SIM in the iPhone but you can manually deregister your number from the iMessage servers here: https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

When I try to deregister I don't get a code sent to my phone. I'm currently on the phone with Apple Support. Hopefully they can fix it.

you're lying.

Apple fixed that issue.

years ago.

blame janky Android.

reKon

Banned

3GB is overrated. My Xperia Z3 Compact has ran flawlessly with 2GB. There are plenty of budget smartphones only 2GB and they generally run near stock Android well with no memory leak issue. There's something else going on.

ctfg23

you're lying.

Apple fixed that issue.

years ago.

blame janky Android.

Not sure if you're joking or not but I'm not lying. How would android be causing this? The problem started after I put my sim into the iphone. And android doesn't have any imessage connectivity so that wouldn't trigger anything imessage related on the iphone.

Not sure if you're joking or not but I'm not lying. How would android be causing this? The problem started after I put my sim into the iphone. And android doesn't have any imessage connectivity so that wouldn't trigger anything imessage related on the iphone.

He's joking. Except the janky android part, that's true.

3GB is overrated. My Xperia Z3 Compact has ran flawlessly with 2GB. There are plenty of budget smartphones only 2GB and they generally run near stock Android well with no memory leak issue. There's something else going on.

His follow up post that you skipped nailed it. Its about 32 bit vs 64 bit and encrypted vs non encrypted.

Thats why we have cheap ass Moto Gs running lollipop fine but new Nexus devices running like dog shit.

Many phones have 2gb + 64bit and don't lag.

Which phones? Also do they have encryption on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom