• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamzyT

Neo Member
Cas4o78WEAAwKY0.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/could...adc5&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

Frosted glass ala Z5 would look so much better.
Glossy makes it look cheap.

But curves and less camera hump, great.

snacknuts

we all knew her
So what's everyone looking forward to this year? Can't say much in Android land has my attention.

I've never been happier with a phone than I am with my 6P, so I honestly haven't been keeping up with news all that much. And I still can't wrap my head around why people like tablets so much, so I couldn't care less about that segment.

So what's everyone looking forward to this year? Can't say much in Android land has my attention.

Picked up a Note 5 a couple months back and I'm happy with it so nothing really.

I'll be keeping an eye on everything revealed out of curiosity though.

Hasney

Still happy with my N6. See what Nexus devices are out this year as well as Sony (since I'm in Europe and won't be fucked over) and LG do alongside 7.0 performance on an N6 and see if I can be swayed away. But nothing in phone land in general has my attention yet.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Curious to see what HTC has in store. FWIW, I'm still using my 6P, if that gives you indication of how excited I am :p

Wreav

Banned
In the interest of full disclosure, nothing really has me interested in Apple land either...maybe we're reached peak phone finally?

Ok, dual cameras has me a little interested.

longdi

Banned
I am behind, but what was the reason Sony removed the biometrics for NA versions?
We need to speak with Kaz about this.

Mega

Banned
Wasn't really looking for a bigger phone, but ended up getting the 6P for the stock Android, nice screen, decent-good battery and 128GB storage. Everything else in a smaller size or that wasn't $600+ was lacking in a few areas. This one hit the most checkmarks without being insanely expensive.

6P battery life is a relief after coming from the Nexus 5. The battery on the N5 was not so good from day one and going over 2 years I was practically tethered to a charging cable all day. I did discover just now that OneDrive has used up 15% of my battery doing literally nothing since this morning, and since I installed it really. I only needed it to verify from my 6P that the N5 had properly uploaded all its photos and videos before wiping it... so yeah, that's a crazy drain and I'm uninstalling until I actually need OneDrive again.

Chrome is also strangely slow to load pages on the 6P so I'll be trying out that Rsbrowser.

thuway

I've never owned a Nexus, but how is custom rom support on it? Cyanogenmod on the Galaxy Note 3 works well, but still is janky. Do the Nexus roms have that jank - or are they legitimately enhanced?

Part of the reason I've fallen in love over and over again with my Note 3 is the ability to go the custom route to get features I wasn't supposed to get. The community has done a damn fine job supporting it, but not everything is perfect. I do get slow down (especially when multiple apps are in the background), random reboots, and I've lost features (NFC).

AMOLED becoming a common display in cheaper phones.

The Snapdragon 650 Series not gimped in any shape or form, since it's pretty much a "good enough" SoC on paper. Mediatek has lost some ground, and Samsung and Huawei don't really outsource their SoC.If the 650 Series had a co-processor for low-power functions it would be perfect.

Dual-cameras are a bit of a gimmick, let's see the implementation.

And how Qualcomm's ultrasonic fingerprint techology compares to capacitive fingerprint tech.

Otherwise it's LTE related tech, faster speeds that nobody gets.

On the OS front, I just want a maintenance release that fixes issues with Android and not fancy new features that are worthless. Polish, polish, polish.

Noema

I've never owned a Nexus, but how is custom rom support on it? Cyanogenmod on the Galaxy Note 3 works well, but still is janky. Do the Nexus roms have that jank - or are they legitimately enhanced?

Nexus phones probably have the most active custom ROM support of all phones, likely since most of the people who are in active ROM development use nexus phones themselves. The Nexus 6 has over 10 ROMs made for it alone.

Nexus phones have a very active custom kernel development scene as well which I don't think really exists for any other phones.

As for cyanogenmod, I tried CM13 on my Nexus 6 about a month ago and it was not daily driver material yet. Usually it's best to wait until the Nightlies have had a couple of months to mature or just wait for the milestone or stable builds.

3phemeral

So after that article about uninstalling Facebook improving performance came out, I decided to do the same and it seems like it has improved on my S6 considerably. Not sure if it's just placebo, but I'll wait it out a few before attributing it to that alone.

Toki767

So after that article about uninstalling Facebook improving performance came out, I decided to do the same and it seems like it has improved on my S6 considerably. Not sure if it's just placebo, but I'll wait it out a few before attributing it to that alone.

I've stuck to Facebook's mobile site. It's better than the app and faster lol.

Anyone have a great Bluetooth controller recommendation for Android? I bought a cheap Moga, but the lag on games and emulators (like the GBA one I use) is pretty much unplayable. I'm better off carrying around my GB Micro for laying older games at the moment. I'd use my PS4 controller and a phone clip, but my AT&T Note 4 is unrootable and it doesn't work wired either.

Samsung can't manage to get updates out, so doesn't really matter how good their hardware is.

Moto still appears to be a sinking ship at the hands of Lenovo, and their lack of biometrics in 2015 turned me right the fuck off from them.

LG is actually turning out pretty solid devices lately, but want to see them go away from gimmicks (V10's info band).

Sony's Z5 that released today ditches the biometrics found in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY'S VERSION. Ugh.

820 isn't sounding like the perfect smelling rose it once was, and Android is still chasing specs in many ways.

The Pixel is being widely panned for having Android instead of ChromeOS, nothing exciting on the wearable front that I've heard.

What's keeping you interested, fam?

LG definitely has my interest in seeing what the G5 has to offer.

I like the rumors saying that it keeps the removable battery and SD card while going with a metal body design.

If Samsung ever backtracks and adds replaceable batteries back to their phones I'll probably get interested in them again, either that or if they do some cool stuff with Gear VR (which I do like on my Note 4, but I don't use it very often). If Gear VR could be plugged into a PC and be used as a full Occulus Rift, that'd be my dream VR device (both mobile and able to plug in and play more powerful games. I'm also on AT&T and I'm sick of not being able to Root my Note 4, so I doubt I'll go back to Samsung as long as I have AT&T.

Odds are I'll probably stick with the Note 4 for another year, but I'm always open to something really awesome coming out.

Unfortunately for Samsung while I doubt the S7 is going to break records in sales I fully expect it to be the "best" Android phone to release this year. The Galaxy S6 already had one of the best screens on the market and an excellent camera with its only real weak-point being the battery life and that sounds like it is getting fixed in the S7. Throw in the supposed MicroSD slot and waterproofing and it sounds like a winner.

Frodo

I don't see there problem with plastic cases. Using metal exclusively is a stupid trend and it should die, in my humble opinion. I'm particularly fond of the moto G style cases that are easy to swap, and also cheap if you need to buy it.

Scratch a metal phone and you are stuck with the scratch forever, not to mention loss of signal and workaround around antennas.

Just got the February update for my Nexus 6P, BTW.

JamzyT

Neo Member
it is rumored to be removable, so maybe that is why?

Its not...
SD card expansion is back
Removable battery is not.

Its glass like the S6, it just looks plastic because of the lighting and all those fingerprints.
Plus it might be solid black again instead of black saphire, which could explain why also.

Condom

Its not...
SD card expansion is back
Removable battery is not.

Its glass like the S6, it just looks plastic because of the lighting and all those fingerprints.
Plus it might be solid black again instead of black saphire, which could explain why also.

Ah ok thank you for clearing that up.

NotBacon

Yeah right. You're probably hearing different things due to differences in uptime and possibly app usage. Chrome can destroy a phone and lots of people do not mobile browse much. Just an example.

Don't think so. These are analytical people, they would have told me if there was a noticeable difference due to uptime. App usage is more likely knowing the sketchy nature of Google Play Services, but it seems this stark contrast of performance is just a 5X thing so....

The Edge continues to be a among the best looking devices ever. Gotdamn.

Still looks awkward to me. I mean maybe if its place was in a museum, but knowing that it is a handheld device just make it's look awkward.

3phemeral

Google Play Music question: I'm sharing a playlist of all uploaded tracks; however, the person I'm sharing with sees that playlist as empty. They are also a member of my Family Plan. How do I fix this?

Attempting to download the playlist on their end just displays a "Subscribed" popup.

Don't think so. These are analytical people, they would have told me if there was a noticeable difference due to uptime. App usage is more likely knowing the sketchy nature of Google Play Services, but it seems this stark contrast of performance is just a 5X thing so....

I still have trouble believing it. 50 percent of the feedback on the web says the nexus 9 is extremely snappy too.

I know we had slow nand back in the day on the old 16gb nexus 7 2012? But lately performance has been shit on too many google products.

Its a combo of encryption and 64 bit IMO.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Well, I've just uninstalled Facebook and I'll report if I notice any difference in terms of battery life and performance.

Symphonia

Banned
Is anyone else's YouTube app glitching out? I'm unable to play YouTube videos at 1080p and above, despite knowing those videos are enabled for 1080p/1080p60. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 on O2. Anyone else having this issue?

Furyous

Samsung can't manage to get updates out, so doesn't really matter how good their hardware is.

Moto still appears to be a sinking ship at the hands of Lenovo, and their lack of biometrics in 2015 turned me right the fuck off from them.

LG is actually turning out pretty solid devices lately, but want to see them go away from gimmicks (V10's info band).

Sony's Z5 that released today ditches the biometrics found in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY'S VERSION. Ugh.

820 isn't sounding like the perfect smelling rose it once was, and Android is still chasing specs in many ways.

The Pixel is being widely panned for having Android instead of ChromeOS, nothing exciting on the wearable front that I've heard.

I'm interested in the international Z5 version found everywhere else besides the US. Android M is rolling out for it so that should make it perform better.

What's wrong with the S820?

Excited for the Z5/Z6, G5, One Plus, and upcoming Pixel phone sometime this year,allegedly.

Pretty much just the iPhone 7 and nexus 2016. Everyone else is irrelevant to me. The other players can't release a phone or are close to going out of business or the same shit (samsung/LG). Tired of never ever getting updates as well. That's why it's just nexus phone 2016 or iphone 7 for me. Leaning toward the latter pretty heavily.

I definitely want to replace my nexus 9 this year though...hoping a good tablet comes out on the android side. If not...well same as above. iPad it is.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm really looking forward to improved wireless tech. Bluetooth has always been garbage and it'll never improve beyond "it works ok." I'm hoping we find something that works extremely smooth. The death of 3.5 aux should get us there shortly.

I don't see major issues with my 6P. Encryption done properly, and better IO memory speeds, would make me happier.

Of course, I still think Apple will have a dslr quality camera soon. They'll use the dual cameras and insanely fast processor to software fix the lack of a large lens. One for depth of field, one for distance. I keep talking about Apple's purchase of PrimeSense and how we have yet to see anything come from it. Something big is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom