• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

reKon

Banned
I'm really looking forward to improved wireless tech. Bluetooth has always been garbage and it'll never improve beyond "it works ok." I'm hoping we find something that works extremely smooth. The death of 3.5 aux should get us there shortly.

I don't see major issues with my 6P. Encryption done properly, and better IO memory speeds, would make me happier.

Of course, I still think Apple will have a dslr quality camera soon. They'll use the dual cameras and insanely fast processor to software fix the lack of a large lens. One for depth of field, one for distance. I keep talking about Apple's purchase of PrimeSense and how we have yet to see anything come from it. Something big is happening.

that tag tho

i find s5 better then s6. battery replacement + sd replacement + water proof+ finger print reader awesome. i put phone in cover anyways it does not matter how it looks from behind.

Ok back on the 5x quick...

After re-reading this page

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review/3

and this page

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9742/the-google-nexus-5x-review/4

Its painfully obvious that the nexus 5x is just plain junk (os and hardware). Sorry notbacon but half your 5x friends are morons if they think the 5x is fast.

After a few minutes it basically just uses the two little cores and then eventually turns off the big cores entirely. So when I am web browsing on my phone and whatever else I am just using a slow dual core piece of shit.

Then the nand is slow as piss and google still sucks at encryption.

Now what we don't know is if the 64 bit OS is crushing the 2gb of ram with its larger memory footprint but regardless the 2015 snapdragons and marshmallow encryption are so bad it doesn't even matter.

Google you idiots.

Osiris

If people aren't experiencing issues with their 5Xs, they aren't experiencing issues.

Nothing Anandtech shows from their experience is gonna be representative of every other device.

And what the hell at you calling someone else's friends/acquaintances morons. Get outta here with that noise.

Okay I'll take your statement over my coworkers' first-hand experiences. Oh wait no I won't.

My last post wasnt about my experiences. It was about anadtech explaining the facts.

Osiris

If people aren't experiencing issues with their 5Xs, they aren't experiencing issues.

Nothing Anandtech shows from their experience is gonna be representative of every other device.

And what the hell at you calling someone else's friends/acquaintances morons. Get outta here with that noise.

Give it time. They will. I thought mine was smooth first few weeks after launch.

You have benchmarks saying its crap and users saying its crap. What more do you want?

Oh calm down, i'm not serious. I like to give notbacon crap because hes such a koolaid drinker. No offense notbacon.

Some people just don't notice things.
Especially if you don't have anything to immediately compare it to. I didn't notice how janky my G3 was until I used a Moto X 2014 back last year. I thought my G3 was fast and smooth. Boy was I wrong.

Bingo. I have a co-worker on a s3 still and every time someone teases him he defends it. Hes just never used anything better.

Unfortunately for my Nexus 5x I have used something better. My old 2013 Moto X

clav

I'm really looking forward to improved wireless tech. Bluetooth has always been garbage and it'll never improve beyond "it works ok." I'm hoping we find something that works extremely smooth. The death of 3.5 aux should get us there shortly.

Problem with bluetooth is interference with wifi networks since they operate at similar frequencies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So what's everyone looking forward to this year? Can't say much in Android land has my attention.

Samsung can't manage to get updates out, so doesn't really matter how good their hardware is.

Moto still appears to be a sinking ship at the hands of Lenovo, and their lack of biometrics in 2015 turned me right the fuck off from them.

LG is actually turning out pretty solid devices lately, but want to see them go away from gimmicks (V10's info band).

Sony's Z5 that released today ditches the biometrics found in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY'S VERSION. Ugh.

820 isn't sounding like the perfect smelling rose it once was, and Android is still chasing specs in many ways.

The Pixel is being widely panned for having Android instead of ChromeOS, nothing exciting on the wearable front that I've heard.

What's keeping you interested, fam?

Want a tablet upgrade for my N7 2013. I passed on last year as my tablet was still going ok figuring I could wait another year for a bigger performance boost.

Plus I got the 16 gig version, and I need more storage.

Something with an 820 should sing in a tablet with less tmp issues.

Fatalah

Unfortunately for my Nexus 5x I have used something better. My old 2013 Moto X

I'm on a Nexus 5X now, but I came from the 2013 Moto X. Motorola filled that phone with magic. It still feels consistently smoother than my 5X.

But still, I wanted a new phone, and the 5X is hella fresh.

I'm thinking of turning into the type of person who sells their phone each year on Swappa, just to try new tech. Sounds like fun!

tzare

So what's everyone looking forward to this year? Can't say much in Android land has my attention.

Samsung can't manage to get updates out, so doesn't really matter how good their hardware is.

Moto still appears to be a sinking ship at the hands of Lenovo, and their lack of biometrics in 2015 turned me right the fuck off from them.

LG is actually turning out pretty solid devices lately, but want to see them go away from gimmicks (V10's info band).

Sony's Z5 that released today ditches the biometrics found in EVERY OTHER COUNTRY'S VERSION. Ugh.

820 isn't sounding like the perfect smelling rose it once was, and Android is still chasing specs in many ways.

The Pixel is being widely panned for having Android instead of ChromeOS, nothing exciting on the wearable front that I've heard.

What's keeping you interested, fam?

I think smartphones have reached a point where they have almost stalled.
Nothing from last year has proven revolutionary or interesting enough.

I expect the usual performance improvements here and there but also trying to improve the basics than had been left behind somehow: battery life, slightly better cameras ,fast charging and finger print scanner on most devices, from mid to high end ones. And hopefully the return of several features on some devices that some of us found useful: SD, removable battery, wireless charging, ir blaster, fm radio or waterproofing.

wilflare

I think smartphones have reached a point where they have almost stalled.
Nothing from last year has proven revolutionary or interesting enough.

I expect the usual performance improvements here and there but also trying to improve the basics than had been left behind somehow: battery life, slightly better cameras ,fast charging and finger print scanner on most devices, from mid to high end ones. And hopefully the return of several features on some devices that some of us found useful: SD, removable battery, wireless charging, ir blaster, fm radio or waterproofing.

if only the stalling helped to polish some of the basics... unfortunately 2015 was rather disappointing in that regard :/

still love my Nexus 6P though

So today's poll question

Which event are you more hyped for at MWC?

Samsung
LG
HTC
Sony

Lg
Samsung
Sony
Htc

Regarding phone comparisons. Don't compare civics to Ferraris. Don't compare old model to new model. your personnel experience matters otherwise you Will Never new satisfied.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hardware is fine. There's tons and tons of software work to do. We still don't have a proper backup solution.

Jigolo

So today's poll question

Which event are you more hyped for at MWC?

Samsung
LG
HTC
Sony

We know almost everything about the S7 so that is out of the question but knowing all that I know right now it's definitely top candidate for my next device ATM.

HTC won't be there so meh and the recent like (although the design might not be final) is also pushing me away from HTC. Wish they'ed used that design from evleaks last year. Would've been an insta-buy.

Sony is only releasing the C6 at MWC and that just seems like a mid range device. http://www.xperiablog.net/2016/01/3...-ultra-successor-ties-in-with-previous-leaks/ (although I do hope Sony take this design and put it in their Z successor with a 5.2" screen and the top and bottom bezels cut in 1/2)

LG has me the most intrigued because we don't know much about the device. Screen size? design? dual cams what do? screen panel (mumors of LG using their OLED panels)?

I think the best time to buy a device this year is after making up your mind post i/o so you get an idea of the next Nexus device which I hope comes in September/ Early October. BY that time G5 and S7 might be discounted a bit and you'll have a good understanding of what to expect in N and whether or not it's worth buying those phones that take a while to get the updates.

lunchtoast

Thanks for the RS Browser recommendation. Only used chrome because of sync. Took a minute to setup since I didn't see the info about having to manually add permissions.

As far as all the Nexus 5X comments, the phone is frustrating sometimes. You gotta reboot it a few times a week.

"Can you take a picture?"
Me "yeah hold on...ok...wait...hold on...my phone is stuck...wait....ok I gotta reboot, can I use your phone."

So what's THE Android to get sub $400 these days? I really need an upgrade from my 2nd gen Moto E.

Everyone seems to hate the Nexus 5x, which is a shame as I loved the original 5. Is the Moto X Pure the only real option in that price bracket? The Nexus 6p is too expensive for me and I hate having to wait super long for updates, which rules out a lot of phones that are bogged down with custom UIs.

I guess the older Nexus 6 could also be an option.

Should I maybe wait for something else that will release soonish?

kami_sama

So what's THE Android to get sub $400 these days? I really need an upgrade from my 2nd gen Moto E.

Everyone seems to hate the Nexus 5x, which is a shame as I loved the original 5. Is the Moto X Pure the only real option in that price bracket? The Nexus 6p is too expensive for me and I hate having to wait super long for updates, which rules out a lot of phones that are bogged down with custom UIs.

I'm going to say the Oneplus 2. $350. While it has its issues, I think it has great battery, very good camera (not as good as some others). I think it has great aesthetics. It's also almost stock Android.

Only problems are the lack of NFC and OP's support, although they were very professional when I had to deal with them.

If you go for the Moto X Pure consider looking on Amazon Warehouse for a deal on a semi-used one, they have it for $270 on there which is a pretty healthy amount of savings if you don't mind buying second-hand. Otherwise you could try to holdout for another Nexus 6 sale from Amazon, but personally I just don't think the Moto X Pure is currently worth paying full price for at the moment, especially since it was on sale from Best Buy for $400 with a $50 GC not long ago. If update speed wasn't an issue you could consider the HTC One M9 for $350 from Best Buy.

Personally I have to think the Nexus 5X has some sort of quality control issue because my runs fine and it's a really nice phone minus the size which I am not fond of and it has pushed me back to using my Fire Phone.

Bloodember

I'm going to say the Oneplus 2. $350. While it has its issues, I think it has great battery, very good camera (not as good as some others). I think it has great aesthetics. It's also almost stock Android.

Only problems are the lack of NFC and OP's support, although they were very professional when I had to deal with them.
I honestly would steer clear of the Oneplus 2. I had it for a month and it was the worst phone experience I ever had. The battery life isnt that great i got roughly 3 hours SOT with only using stock apps. Yeah its pretty but Oxygen OS, the non standard USB C cable, oneplus support and many other issues that come with it. Your better off with something else.

Maybe a Zenfone? They're probably coming out with a Zenfone 3 in a couple months, but it's still a great phone. Camera might be subpar for some. But it has an interesting rom community.
Check out the bands on your carrier.

Maybe worth looking into a cheap BLU phone as well.

Nexus 6 if found cheap is also a good choice.

I looked at the OnePlus 2 and X and it seems their missing lte bands 12 and 17, which is a no go for me as I use AT&T network through cricket.

Zenphone is laden with bloat and custom UI, way to far from stock for me, plus it stands a good chance of not getting marshmallow.

I wasn't aware of the Moto X being on sale before, I'll check those warehouse deals. What makes you say they are not worth it at $400? Seems to have great specs at that price point.

I like the look of the M9 even though it is kinda far from stock, is it getting an update to marshmallow?

JamzyT

Neo Member
3600mAh battery for S7 Edge confirmed by FFC
galaxy-s7-edge-battery.jpg
http://www.sammobile.com/2016/02/09/fcc-filing-for-the-galaxy-s7-edge-reveals-3600mah-battery/

I looked at the OnePlus 2 and X and it seems their missing lte bands 12 and 17, which is a no go for me as I use AT&T network through cricket.

Zenphone is laden with bloat and custom UI, way to far from stock for me, plus it stands a good chance of not getting marshmallow.

I wasn't aware of the Moto X being on sale before, I'll check those warehouse deals. What makes you say they are not worth it at $400? Seems to have great specs at that price point.

I like the look of the M9 even though it is kinda far from stock, is it getting an update to marshmallow?
It should be getting Marshmallow soon, the Sprint model got it a few days ago so I imagine AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon aren't far behind.

I just feel like at $400 the Moto X Pure isn't that great of a value when you could get a Nexus 6P for $450 + $40 in GC's. I don't know I guess if it is selling well good for them, but I'm surprised it hasn't dropped to $350 by now.

Moto x Pure is great if you can it for 300. Very happy with my purchase.

Toki767

3600 mAh sounds pretty good.

I expect Touchwiz (and Android in general) to make it act like it's a 2500 mAh battery though.

It should be getting Marshmallow soon, the Sprint model got it a few days ago so I imagine AT&T/T-Mobile/Verizon aren't far behind.

I just feel like at $400 the Moto X Pure isn't that great of a value when you could get a Nexus 6P for $450 + $40 in GC's. I don't know I guess if it is selling well good for them, but I'm surprised it hasn't dropped to $350 by now.

Wait, $450 + $40 GC? Where is this 6p? That would be my ideal phone, but at $500 with only 32gb is too much for me.

Also interested in the M9 at $350. How does that phone compare to the Moto X and Nexus phones?

Wait, $450 + $40 GC? Where is this 6p? That would be my ideal phone, but at $500 with only 32gb is too much for me.
I forgot, but its only for the gold model. Otherwise Best Buy has the gold model for $50 off ($450/$500) and it also comes with a $25 GC. Additionally if you add a Tracfone SIM kit for $1 to your cart you also get a $15 GC on top of that. Overall making it $451 + tax for the 32GB model and $40 in Best Buy Giftcards.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/huawei-...=4796627&productCategoryId=pcmcat311200050005
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...=4596900&productCategoryId=pcmcat265100050014

I forgot, but its only for the gold model. Otherwise Best Buy has the gold model for $50 off ($450/$500) and it also comes with a $25 GC. Additionally if you add a Tracfone SIM kit for $1 to your cart you also get a $15 GC on top of that. Overall making it $451 + tax for the 32GB model and $40 in Best Buy Giftcards.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/huawei-...=4796627&productCategoryId=pcmcat311200050005
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tracfon...=4596900&productCategoryId=pcmcat265100050014

Just found that. I hadn't really considered the 6p until now. Is it pretty much the best purchase out of the few we've talked about?

I'm considering eating $50 and getting 64gb version. I'm hesitant to only go with 32gb, even though I could just use Google play for my music library.

I probably would have bought the 5x by now if it wasn't for the widespread issues.

So between this, the M9 @ $350 and a Moto X assuming I could find one for at least $350, what are your guys thoughts?

Edit: If I buy a Nexus phone outside of Google's store, can I still get the extra Google warranty they have on their website? (Same question for the Moto X via Motorolla)

Bloodember

Oneplus 2 does have band 12 and 17. Unless that has changed. The X does not. Still, dont buy the 2.

longdi

Banned
3600mah? waterproofing?
wow Samsung is going all out now.
They already have the best screen and SoC.
Just give me a stock android option!

Noema

Don't buy the OP2

Honor 5x is pretty good for $200 but the ui is very skinned.

If you can get a nexus 6 for under $300 that'd be a good choice. It runs Marshmallow very well and of course its first in line for updates.

Just found that. I hadn't really considered the 6p until now. Is it pretty much the best purchase out of the few we've talked about?

I'm considering eating $50 and getting 64gb version. I'm hesitant to only go with 32gb, even though I could just use Google play for my music library.

I probably would have bought the 5x by now if it wasn't for the widespread issues.

So between this, the M9 @ $350 and a Moto X assuming I could find one for at least $350, what are your guys thoughts?

Edit: If I buy a Nexus phone outside of Google's store, can I still get the extra Google warranty they have on their website? (Same question for the Moto X via Motorolla)
Firstly if you want a bigger screened phone and can handle the size of a phablet I'd take the HTC One M9 off of the list since the biggest advantage over the other two devices is the fact that its a smaller more manageable phone.

Personally I really shouldn't say much between the Nexus 6P and the Moto X Pure since I haven't used either, I'm just going off of the fact that most of the tech reviewers I watch on Youtube seemed to think that the Nexus 6P was the best Android phone of last year. The Moto X is definitely a nice phone I just feel like being how small the price difference is between them the Nexus 6P would be the better buy. If you want to get an idea on both phones Michael Fisher from Pocket Now compared them back in November, but the review is kind of out of date since the Moto X Pure has received Marshmallow since.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrcxHugZFSc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom