• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Here we go again with everyone heralding the new Galaxy as the true GOAT.

w8F2Rwu.jpg

So Motorola pioneered 2016's "hot new" feature, way back in 2013.

I loved seeing all the Hey Siri commercials as an owner of the 2013 Moto X, There's nothing wrong with borrowing and copying features in tech but it always gets under my skin when its advertised at that level.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
With the 5X woes now is like the worst time to bug a phone.

All of the good sub $400 phones are in the do not buy new one coming soon phase.

We should be getting Moto E and G updates. ASUS should have the next Zenfone. We could be getting another Actel Phone as well.

Hopefully we have a clearer picture by April.

Noema

I hope Asus keeps using Atom CPUs on the new ZenFone. That was the reason such a cheap phone was able to trade punches with the likes of the SD801 and 805 for a fraction of the cost.

If they go for ARM it will be really boring.

Wth kinda software glitch is this. Lost my charger for n6p so turned on Battery Saving Mode for a bit. Looked at battery report and it says GPS was on the entire time battery saving was on when I had GPS rarely and not on

Thanks all for the help. The AWD on the Moto X look really nice at only $266.

EDIT: The white bamboo 32gb model is $337 from AWD. When buying from AWD, when they don't specify any imperfections to the actual item, then the item should be mint (probably open box return) condition correct?

Hmm... It is between those and the $450 Nexus 6p now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
you're seriously waiting on a Google tablet?

Just get a Nvidia Shield bruh

Good tablet, but we've waited this long I wouldn't buy a tablet that's that old.

Sure its newer hardware than the N7, but it's like recommending any 800/801 device now phone wise.

That being said personally I kinda want something a hair bigger than the current N7, but not 10" big. The shield solves that.

If they released an updated shield model with the pixel chip I'd be all over it.

Jigolo

There's rumors going on that Google will be working with HTC on their next Nexus phones while they'll use Huawei for the next Nexus 7 tablet later on this year instead:

Link.
Interesting. That's the first I hear about a potential tablet from Google this year. Huawei made tablet might be a good thing. 7" is way to small though. Hopefully they offer it in more sizes if this rumor is true. I hope they continue to use that killer aspect ratio.

reKon

Banned
Good tablet, but we've waited this long I wouldn't buy a tablet that's that old.

Sure its newer hardware than the N7, but it's like recommending any 800/801 device now phone wise.

That being said personally I kinda want something a hair bigger than the current N7, but not 10" big. The shield solves that.

If they released an updated shield model with the pixel chip I'd be all over it.

There's actually nothing wrong with the 801. My phone has that and 2GB and still flies on Lollipop. The Xperia Compact Z3 Tablet uses that and it performs well too.

An updated Nvidia Shield with the X1 was sort of enticing, before I started considering a Windows 10 tablet. I think I want the bigger size and better browsing performance. Also, I'll have the option of sticking Remix OS, which will hopefully improve. An X1 tablet would be beast like, but the lack of good multi window/multitasking would get to me and I would expect that a Skylake M3 to deliver similar performance (Graphics wise, X1 would win though)

It was the only news that I could find about it; I didn't know if it was reliable or not. They're just rumors after all.

Would something like this, or this be better?

Android pit isn't too bad but they make no mention of a refreshed Nexus 7s by huawei.

In your first link from mobipicker it looks like they copied the HTC phone rumors from last week and completely made up the Nexus 7 rumors and specs.

Didn't someone in this thread just wish for two new Nexus 7s? Lol. Probably another site that reads gaf.

Just noticed the Nexus 6 also has a lot on AWD.

So it is between:

Nexus 6: $270 on AWD

Moto X Pure: $280 on AWD

Nexus 6p: $450 new

What do you guys think? That $200 in savings for the first two options is incredibly tempting.

Typically, if amazon warehouse deals doesn't list the item as having imperfections, then it should be mint correct, and probably an open box returned item?

Kuros

The 6p has a much better camera on than the 6 and while it's still huge it's not as wide as the 6.

Get the moto if you want a more manageable sized phone.

Saiyan-Rox

So it is between:

What do you guys think? That $200 in savings for the first two options is incredibly tempting.

Typically, if amazon warehouse deals doesn't list the item as having imperfections, then it should be mint correct, and probably an open box returned item?

The biggest gripe I had with the Nexus 6 was the fact it was so pebble like.

Setting it on a table/desk it would just spin and i'd sometmes find myself spinning it while sitting bored. needless to say I ruined some cases.

The biggest gripe I had with the Nexus 6 was the fact it was so pebble like.

Setting it on a table/desk it would just spin and i'd sometmes find myself spinning it while sitting bored. needless to say I ruined some cases.

I'm leaning towards the 6p. I'm going to have this phone until Android P drops so I might as well get something really nice that will get all the updates until P. Unless I'm totally crazy to pass us $270 Moto X or Nexus 6.

I'm buying from amazon, as I have $200 in giftcards there. Does it come with a standard 2 year manufacturers warranty? I'm not too worried about accidental damage, its mostly the battery going bad after a year or so. I had a Nexus 5 that had a bad battery after only 6 months.

Jigolo

I'm sure you've heard the phrase stop believing everything you read on the internet. Instead you guys take everything you read as gospel

this_guy

So it is between:

I'm using the Moto X Pure edition - it's a great phone. I was coming from a nexus 5x.

jwk94

I'm using the Moto X Pure edition - it's a great phone. I was coming from a nexus 5x.

This man knows. IMO, best Android phone out with little comprises being:

• The back could be grippier
  • It's a little too big. Should've been 5.5 inches
  • Should've kept the OLED screen
  • Should've been future proofed with Type-C and a fingerprint scanner

Wreav

Banned
I know you love trolling this thread, but the S7 Edge is amazing looking.

Nope. Bezels are as big as ever, rounded edges make it look like some S3 level garbage, and the glass still somehow comes across looking like cheap plastic.

Hoping those are just pre-fab dummy units.

It got M really fast so I don't see why it wouldn't receive N.

BAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It got M really fast so I don't see why it wouldn't receive N.

Apparently you don't know motorola. 2nd year devices get screwed. The 2013 unlocked Moto X (basically the pure edition of today) took 9 months to get lollipop last year.

I guess the point was IF it will get it but does it really matter at that point? Lots of people move on by 21 months.

this_guy

This man knows. IMO, best Android phone out with little comprises being:

• The back could be grippier
  • It's a little too big. Should've been 5.5 inches
  • Should've kept the OLED screen
  • Should've been future proofed with Type-C and a fingerprint scanner

I think the stock back (the plastic/silicon) is plenty grippy and feels great in the hand. If you get a wood back (had a 2014 Moto X) that can be pretty slippery. I use a case on mine though.

The phone is bigger than I would like (I'd prefer 5.2") but the feel in hand is much smaller than you would think for a phone with a 5.7" screen. The bezels are pretty small and the slightly curved back makes a difference.

Agreed on OLED. The LCD screen is fine, but Moto Active Display should be on an OLED.

I do miss the fingerprint scanner on the 5x and was ready to start moving to devices with Type-C. I'll give those up for now for the performance and battery life improvements I'm getting over the 5x.

thuway

I think I asked this before, but how are current OLED screens regarding burn in and image retention?
Every Galaxy Note I've owned has had image retention after 2 years. I don't own the Note 5 however. If you don't believe me go to a Best Buy and check out the 24 hour Samsung phones they look awful.

Still you should be good for around 2 years. The price for oled.

Buy your phone for what it is today, not for what it may or may not be in the future.

Every Galaxy Note I've owned has had image retention after 2 years. I don't own the Note 5 however. If you don't believe me go to a Best Buy and check out the 24 hour Samsung phones they look awful.

Still you should be good for around 2 years. The price for oled.

Unless your phone is going to cycle through demo videos for 24 hours a day, why would you even care? Your screen will be on what, maybe a 10th of the time the demo units are?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom