• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I've settled on the 6p, as long as it gets some sort of manufacturer warranty. Does anyone know? I'm buying from amazon and don't see anything mentioned about that on the product page. Just a typical 1 or 2 year thing in case the battery goes or something else non-accidental.

Will I also need to buy a special cable in order to hook this up to my computer via USB?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Agreed on OLED. The LCD screen is fine, but Moto Active Display should be on an OLED.

The rumor is that its an IPS display on the LG, with a modification/overlay of some sort for the always on with limited capabilities. It's apparenlty not the Moto OLED solution that only turns on certain parts.

I think I've settled on the 6p, as long as it gets some sort of manufacturer warranty. Does anyone know? I'm buying from amazon and don't see anything mentioned about that on the product page. Just a typical 1 or 2 year thing in case the battery goes or something else non-accidental.

Will I also need to buy a special cable in order to hook this up to my computer via USB?
It comes with the regular 1-year manufacturer warranty and you can purchase additional care with Squaretrade from Amazon if you want. The phone comes with both a USB-C cable and a USB-C to USB-A cable so you shouldn't need anything else.

Noema

Just noticed the Nexus 6 also has a lot on AWD.

So it is between:

Nexus 6: $270 on AWD

Moto X Pure: $280 on AWD

Nexus 6p: $450 new

What do you guys think? That $200 in savings for the first two options is incredibly tempting.

Typically, if amazon warehouse deals doesn't list the item as having imperfections, then it should be mint correct, and probably an open box returned item?

I'd get the 6p.

Every Galaxy Note I've owned has had image retention after 2 years. I don't own the Note 5 however. If you don't believe me go to a Best Buy and check out the 24 hour Samsung phones they look awful.

Still you should be good for around 2 years. The price for oled.

I absolutely believe you and the image retention problem might be the only thing holding me back from the S7 (bland industrial design aside). I suppose it won't be that noticable anymore with with the transparent nav and notification bar, but I'd still like to hear from more S6 users. I know the Nexus 6 had problems, but Motorola got older panels, iirc.

Agreed on OLED. The LCD screen is fine, but Moto Active Display should be on an OLED.

Nokia got Glance working on LCD just fine, even back in 2013, when they shipped the feature to the 920, via update. Unless I don't understand the functional difference between Glance and Active Display.

UB5VPpm.jpg

It never used noticeably more battery life on my Lumia 920 either.

I'd really like to have double-tap to wake and glance back, so I hope the S7 will have both.

this_guy

I absolutely believe you and the image retention problem might be the only thing holding me back from the S7 (bland industrial design aside). I suppose it won't be that noticable anymore with with the transparent nav and notification bar, but I'd still like to hear from more S6 users. I know the Nexus 6 had problems, but Motorola got older panels, iirc.

Nokia got Glance working on LCD just fine, even back in 2013, when they shipped the feature to the 920, via update. Unless I don't understand the functional difference between Glance and Active Display.

UB5VPpm.jpg

It never used noticeably more battery life on my Lumia 920 either.

I'd really like to have double-tap to wake and glance back, so I hope the S7 will have both.

Glance and Moto Active Display are similar (I also used a Lumia 920 and 925). Battery life on the 2015 Moto X Pure Edition is fine with active display turned on, but knowing the entire screen has to turn on versus just the necessary pixels bothers me.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I want to sell my Note 4 and go back to a Nexus. Two questions!

Where's the best place to sell a phone nowadays?

Is the Nexus 6P the "best" pure Android experience, or are there better options? I'm in the USA if that matters.

zewone

Is the Nexus 6P the "best" pure Android experience, or are there better options? I'm in the USA if that matters.

Swappa or eBay.

I much prefer Swappa.

And yes, 6P is the best option for a Nexus/pure experience.

Moto X is decent. It is a bit cheaper. Lacks fingerprint but gains microsd. 6P also has usb-c.

Why is Googs gonig back to 5.5 inches? COME ON MAN :(.

I'm sure you've heard the phrase stop believing everything you read on the internet. Instead you guys take everything you read as gospel

I agree with you guys, as nothing's official yet.

Some things can definitely change over time.

Moto X is decent. It is a bit cheaper. Lacks fingerprint but gains microsd. 6P also has usb-c.

All Motorola would have to do, is add a fingerprint scanner while keeping the MicroSD slot along with Snapdragon 820 on their next phone (& with it being stock android or even near), & then maybe I'll consider it over the next Nexus phone.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Feels like a mistep for companies not to try and launch a new sub $400 device right now.

I know we have the GS7 coming, but that's top end pricing and in March. Meanwhile most of Q1 has sat empty with last year's leftovers.

If a company like ASUS had a new Zenfone ready they could have killed it. Instead its all last year's left overs while we wait for Sammy and LG to duke it out at MWC.

Not to mention I'm sure most of last years phones are still selling well enough like the older Zenfone 2 Laser. I imagine there's only so much that can be improved this year for budget devices and can see why companies might be holding off on announcing/releasing anything. Also a lot of last years flagship phones have been going on sale which would further discourage OEM's. The HTC One M9 is $350, LG G4 is also $350, and the S6 has occasionally gone on sale at eBay for $400 or less.

Vanillalite

Anecdotal, but everyone who's a normal (casual) user that I know IRL has had N5X performance issues. Some have stayed the ship while some have bailed. At the very least in my neck of the woods 5X buzz has been majoritively negative.

So I think there is/was market room *shrug*

I only know one girl who had a 5X. She was pretty hyped about it. She's disappointed with it but still likes it enough to keep it. She's a nerd though not a casual. Otherwise I think she would have dropped it.

I still see more nexus 5s in the wild more than anything else nexus wise.

Quasar

Anecdotal, but everyone who's a normal (casual) user that I know IRL has had N5X performance issues. Some have stayed the ship while some have bailed. At the very least in my neck of the woods 5X buzz has been majoritively negative.

Weird. The folks I know have been happy aside from some software issues. And that seems to be phones with lots of apps background listening. I think google might need to take a tighter reign on that in future.

So far I've been happy with mine a month in. No issues so far. Its been a nice step up from my previous phone a N4. Thumbprint reader on back wasnt as awkward as I thought it might be. And definitely wont buy a phone without one again. Though my ipad pretty much sold me on that anyway.

Groof

Close friend of mine bought a 5x for his wife and himself. He writes to me every now and then to complain about the slowdowns and whatnot. The struggle is real.

this_guy

Maybe we're all wrong and notbacon's friends are the one ones that are right?

Nah

Vanillalite

Maybe we're all wrong and notbacon's friends are the one ones that are right?

Nah

It's probably hit or miss, and the hardware isn't straight bad. Ergo why performance is all over the place. Lots of edge cases with the encryption + chipset + ram.

Nothing to go crazy off on it being fucking terrible. Yet something that is a problem long term with so many sub $400 phones these days. It's hard to just be good enough now at this price point.

It's probably hit or miss, and the hardware isn't straight bad. Ergo why performance is all over the place. Lots of edge cases with the encryption + chipset + ram.

Nothing to go crazy off on it being fucking terrible. Yet something that is a problem long term with so many sub $400 phones these days. It's hard to just be good enough now at this price point.

I agree. I was starting to go for the Nexus 5x at first, but when I looked at the specs, I changed my mind on it. Then I looked at the 6p, & while it's a lot better than the 5x, I hesitated on going for it because of the Snapdragon 810 (which is inside of the 6p) having a bad reputation for overheating phones.

If I'm going to get a phone for long term use, then the phones have to have top, good quality performance. Hence why I'm waiting for a phone with the Snapdragon 820 (or something similar or better) alongside having stock android (or near stock android).

I really hope this is the year that more companies release smaller flagship devices in some shape or form. After using dozens of phones I have come to decision that I just don't enjoy using large phones and will avoid purchasing them in the future. The Nexus 5X is the latest example of me finding a phone to be too big for daily usage as I can't comfortably use it with one hand. Currently went back to using my Fire Phone running CM11 and it's pretty great aside from the buggy software on this build.

The Z5 Compact looks nice, but I've heard it has some issues with heat and the next phone I purchase needs to be future-proofed for the next couple of years. Hopefully Sony releases a Z6 Compact statewide when it is inevitably announced later this year.

I do have to say though. As bad as my Nexus 5x can be its no where near as bad as my Nexus 9. Then again my 9 constantly has two user accounts signed in simultaneously.

Talon

Thanks all for the help. The AWD on the Moto X look really nice at only $266.

EDIT: The white bamboo 32gb model is $337 from AWD. When buying from AWD, when they don't specify any imperfections to the actual item, then the item should be mint (probably open box return) condition correct?

Hmm... It is between those and the $450 Nexus 6p now.
Not necessarily. Last two times I bought a Like New with no imperfections listed, one had a scratched up front screen and the other had two dents on the edges from drops.

this_guy

I want to see sub $350 phones that use the Snapdragon 650 processor.

Something like the HTC A9 with the Snapdragon 650, a bigger battery and $350 price tag would be a winner.

At first I was like "What's the big deal?" and then I realized it said May not March. Come on HTC, you have to realize by that point everybody will have scooped up their S7 or G5 and won't even give you a second thought. Nobody's going to think "Well the S7 is out but I'll wait until HTC announces something because they're worth waiting for".

Noema

I want to see sub $350 phones that use the Snapdragon 650 processor.

Something like the HTC A9 with the Snapdragon 650, a bigger battery and $350 price tag would be a winner.

I'd love a 2016 Moto X Play with the 650. Everything else stays the same as the 2015 model, including that delicious 3660mAh battery and the very decent camera. What gimped that phone was the subpar 615.

That'd be a great $300 phone. Basically everything anyone other than power users would need.

linkboy

Wow, today sucked.

Dropped my phone and cracked the glass inside camera.

Then it crashed and wouldn't restart, had to restore from a backup I had made. As a result, I can't log back into my kakao account as it's still going off my Korean number.

If I can't get into my account, I've lost all my messages.

Groof

Wow, today sucked.

Dropped my phone and cracked the glass inside camera.

Then it crashed and wouldn't restart, had to restore from a backup I had made. As a result, I can't log back into my kakao account as it's still going off my Korean number.

If I can't get into my account, I've lost all my messages.
You've pretty much lost them anyway. When you re log in it deletes the messages no matter what.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Question, folks.....

I have a Nexus 5 and got a good deal on an LGG3 and G4 Stylus, the G3 is locked but I have the unlock code, the G4 is an international unlocked. Which one would be better to migrate over? I know the G3 is higher spec with a higher pi 5.5" screen while the latter has a 5.7" but lower ppi and lowr spec.

I know the G3 is "more powerful" I just want to make sure I make the best choice with what I have. I'm leaning on using the G3.

Vanillalite

Question, folks.....

I have a Nexus 5 and got a good deal on an LGG3 and G4 Stylus, the G3 is locked but I have the unlock code, the G4 is an international unlocked. Which one would be better to migrate over? I know the G3 is higher spec with a higher pi 5.5" screen while the latter has a 5.7" but lower ppi and lowr spec.

I know the G3 is "more powerful" I just want to make sure I make the best choice with what I have. I'm leaning on using the G3.

G3 isn't really that more powerful than the N5.

Honestly pass, and look else where if you need to upgrade your N5.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
G3 isn't really that more powerful than the N5.

Honestly pass, and look else where if you need to upgrade your N5.
I already have the 2 phones on hand. The only issue I have really is the G3 doesn't want to update past 4.4.2. I have no PC hooked up so I want to at least upgrade the phone as it's either going to me of my son.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom