• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Every bit of bad news for HTC in this thread puts me off even more from buying the Vive, despite the fact it looks like the best first gen VR device.

I just have no confidence in long term support when it feels like HTC will fold any minute.

Every bit of bad news for HTC in this thread puts me off even more from buying the Vive, despite the fact it looks like the best first gen VR device.

I just have no confidence in long term support when it feels like HTC will fold any minute.
But they have the backing of Valve :p

Jigolo

Qualcomm announced a new lte modem that's pretty much guarantee'd for next year flagships.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Eat-...reathtaking-1Gbps-X16-LTE-radio-modem_id78245

Also they announced a chip for wearables. Again it's cool they are taking that route since the SD 400 is a phone chip. Snapdragon Wear 2100

The two key features of the Snapdragon 2100 are its reduction in size and an increase in power efficiency. According to Qualcomm the Snapdragon Wear 2100 is 30 percent smaller than the Snapdragon 400, which should help OEMs build thinner and sleeker devices. It also uses less power, 25% less according to Qualcomm. If there is one huge problem with wearables at the moment it is battery life, so any progress in making the battery last longer is very welcome!

http://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-wear-2100-672774/

Now I wish they would do a tablet specific chip. 820T or something. All that space means they can be pushed a little further

Qualcomm announced a new lte modem that's pretty much guarantee'd for next year flagships.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Eat-...reathtaking-1Gbps-X16-LTE-radio-modem_id78245

Also they announced a chip for wearables. Again it's cool they are taking that route since the SD 400 is a phone chip. Snapdragon Wear 2100

http://www.androidauthority.com/snapdragon-wear-2100-672774/

Now I wish they would do a tablet specific chip. 820T or something. All that space means they can be pushed a little further

Completely pointless modem for now at least.

No top-of-the-line SoC for tablets because there's no demand for one.

Sounds like Samsung will be giving free Gear VR's with an S7 preorder...makes it that much harder for me to say no.

That's pretty good, indeed. But €650 is still too much for a phone.

Probably a way for them to get rid of some Gear VR units, before they introduce a new version later this year.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
@LlabTooFeR

HTC Perfume "UltraPixels":
Main Camera - Sony IMX377 12MP 1.55um + Laser Autofocus + PDAF
Front Camera - Samsung s5k4e6 5MP UltraPixel
5:30 AM - 11 Feb 2016

at least it's better than the toshiba slog in the m9

maxcriden

Fuuuuck. Fuck, fuck, fuck. I need your help, Moto E experts.

I have a second gen Moto E and I love it. I just was trying to show off a pic of my little brother (through a charity I do) to someone at my office because I was so excited to go to his school performance last night and...I dropped it and the screen is badly cracked (not to the touch, but you can tell and I can only see the top 1/3 now). Ordinarily a replacement phone would be a-ok (I think I read Moto does free screen repairs?) but...ugh. I have a lot of family photos I would be devastated to lose. What are my best options here? I'm in the ATL area if it helps....

#paging Vanillalite

zewone

I have a second gen Moto E and I love it. I just was trying to show off a pic of my little brother (through a charity I do) to someone at my office because I was so excited to go to his school performance last night and...I dropped it and the screen is badly cracked (not to the touch, but you can tell and I can only see the top 1/3 now). Ordinarily a replacement phone would be a-ok (I think I read Moto does free screen repairs?) but...ugh. I have a lot of family photos I would be devastated to lose. What are my best options here? I'm in the ATL area if it helps....

#paging Vanillalite

Can you connect to a PC and transfer via USB?

Sounds like Samsung will be giving free Gear VR's with an S7 preorder...makes it that much harder for me to say no.

I'm sold if so.

Noema

#paging Vanillalite

Like zewone said, USB to PC.

If somehow that doesn't work, you could try something like Xender or AirDroid to retrieve the files, though it might be tricky to setup the apps without being able to see most of the screen.

If all fails, you can try copying the files via ADB.

Also, use Google Photos from now on to back them up to the cloud. No reason why anyone should ever lose their photos in 2016.

Wreav

Banned

#paging Vanillalite

Just plug it into your PC man.

maxcriden

Can you connect to a PC and transfer via USB?

I'm sold if so.

Like zewone said, USB to PC.

If somehow that doesn't work, you could try something like Xender or AirDroid to retrieve the files, though it might be tricky to setup the apps without being able to see most of the screen.

If all fails, you can try copying the files via ADB.

Also, use Google Photos from now on to back them up to the cloud. No reason why anyone should ever lose their photos in 2016.
Just plug it into your PC man.

Oh. USB. That's awesome. Does the phone even have a USB cord? Or I guess the bottom plug doubles as a USB port? Forgive my ignorance. Here I was going to try to upload the photos to Google Drive using the small portion of screen I have access to....

Thanks so much all!

Noema

Oh. USB. That's awesome. Does the phone even have a USB cord? Or I guess the bottom plug doubles as a USB port? Forgive my ignorance. Here I was going to try to upload the photos to Google Drive using the small portion of screen I have access to....

Thanks so much all!

Yup. Also if you can install Google Photos to automatically backup photos to your Google account.

maxcriden

Yup. Also if you can install Google Photos to automatically backup photos to your Google account.

I will. Thanks. I have all the Google stuff built-in b/c it's Android but I don't know if I have Google Photos set up. I wonder if I even have a (mini) USB cord at home. Maybe for my PS3 controller....

I guess I hear Moto Es get a free screen repair? Or something. I'll have to call them. I use Straight Talk. I mean...my understanding is I take out my sim card and put it in another phone and it'll work? (as long as it's the same model?)

zewone

I will. Thanks. I have all the Google stuff built-in b/c it's Android but I don't know if I have Google Photos set up. I wonder if I even have a (mini) USB cord at home. Maybe for my PS3 controller....

I guess I hear Moto Es get a free screen repair? Or something. I'll have to call them. I use Straight Talk. I mean...my understanding is I take out my sim card and put it in another phone and it'll work? (as long as it's the same model?)

I believe the Moto E is Micro USB rather than Mini USB that the PS3 uses.

The USB cord that came with your phone will do. It's the same cable you use to charge the phone.

Question, folks.....

I have a Nexus 5 and got a good deal on an LGG3 and G4 Stylus, the G3 is locked but I have the unlock code, the G4 is an international unlocked. Which one would be better to migrate over? I know the G3 is higher spec with a higher pi 5.5" screen while the latter has a 5.7" but lower ppi and lowr spec.

I know the G3 is "more powerful" I just want to make sure I make the best choice with what I have. I'm leaning on using the G3.

G3 isn't really that more powerful than the N5.

Honestly pass, and look else where if you need to upgrade your N5.

I'd rather get a new Honor 5x if you need an inexpensive phone.

G3 is amazing use it. I have one for long time. G3 much better then N5 and honor 5x. Honor 5x has finger print sensor and that is about it more then g3. G3 is faster ( 801 vs 615) has better camera. It is getting android 6 as well.

615 vs 801.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
G3 is amazing use it. I have one for long time. G3 much better then N5 and honor 5x. Honor 5x has finger print sensor and that is about it more then g3. G3 is faster ( 801 vs 615) has better camera. It is getting android 6 as well.

615 vs 801.
Thanks. I ended up trading in the G3 for a G4 and let my son have the Stylo. This G4 is great.

Yeah, but you still have HTC's crappy interface and there's a really good chance HTC won't be in business by the end of 2016.

Htc is working with Valve and Google on products for them. I doubt they will go under this year.

I'm not gonna argue the interface. I agree with you there. It's not heavy though and you can add Google Now Lancher.

You can with Touchwiz too. It will be interesting seeing the new Touchwiz, since apparently they got alot of help from google this year.

Yeah but touch wiz still sucked last year after it was supposed to be better. Google sucks at memory management so I don't see their help magically fixing it either. I guess we will find out soon even though the reviews are always too early to pass judgement.

I also refuse to go back to micro USB.

No Love

Banned
Fixed my LG G4 battery issues. Using a different governor for the CPU, Amplify, Greenify, and some other tweaks now has me at 4-5 hours SOT and 30+ hours standby time. Previously I was getting 3-3.5 hours SOT and 10-14 hours standby if I was lucky.

As of right I'm at 15 hours of usage so far, 1.5+ hours of SOT, and at 64% battery life left. Amazing. The phone should've been like this from the factory.

longdi

Banned
My contract is up soon, so I'm looking out for Z6, S7 or IP7. My Z2 is still cruising on the day to day performance and long battery life. It is just a little blocky and heavy today.

Jigolo

2G9kIki.png

http://weibo.com/u/5241757690?is_hot=1#_rnd1455248998653

WTTTTFFF

Guess I have to wait till IFA to get a new phone. Just for the possibility of this slim RGB OLED tech. I need to see this

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
6 GB RAM might make me happy. Maybe. But not on a Samsung device. That's like 3 GB on any other device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom