• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzare

I always wonder who cares about something like am IR blaster, but then I realize that most feel the same about current wireless charging technology.

Yup. I use it a lot. Especially now that some of my remotes barely work and i refuse to pay XX€ for one of those programable IR remotes for an old lcd tv i have in the bedroom. Plus i never lose my phone but remotes seem to hide themselves xD

I also miss FM radio too... not that i use it very often but maybe to listen to a football match once or twice a year or a live program without using data (or sometimes with bad signal) is handy.

Wireless charging....i never used it since only my old N5 supported it but if i think is handy once you get used to it.

Blackhead

Redarse
interested in that note 6 if IR blaster returns.

Yup. I use it a lot. Especially now that some of my remotes barely work and i refuse to pay XX€ for one of those programable IR remotes for an old lcd tv i have in the bedroom. Plus i never lose my phone but remotes seem to hide themselves xD

I also miss FM radio too... not that i use it very often but maybe to listen to a football match once or twice a year or a live program without using data (or sometimes with bad signal) is handy.

Wireless charging....i never used it since only my old N5 supported it but if i think is handy once you get used to it.

IR blasters are available in the form of tiny cheap modules that you can stick in the headphone jack of any smartphone. Why not use one of those instead of limiting yourself to smartphones with the IR blaster built in?

tzare

IR blasters are available in the form of tiny cheap modules that you can stick in the headphone jack of any smartphone. Why not use one of those instead of limiting yourself to smartphones with the IR blaster built in?

I am really satisfied with my note 4 and there's no real reason to upgrade, But i guess buying new gear is always a thing and will have to change it at some point. And i do not want to lose features i really use.

That said i didn't know those modules existed, could you provide a link to check them?
Tho those use specific apps or can be used with Peel for example (the one i use now that has a very convenient lock screen widget)

Then maybe i could go back to nexus, maybe, as i use spen quite a bit too :)

But one thing’s certain, namely the Galaxy S7, LG G5, HTC One M10 and so on and so forth will be initially valued at north of $600 apiece. More precisely, €700 as far as Samsung’s standard “next big thing” is concerned on the old continent, claim sources close to a fairly credible Dutch tech blog.

If true, that’s likely to convert to $700 stateside, whereas the S7 Edge should set you back €800 in Europe and $800 in North America respectively with 32GB internal storage. Chances are you won’t really need extra on-board digital hoarding room, as the two phones support microSD expansion, but if you want 64 gigs of local space nonetheless, expect to pay €70 or €80 more.

Even more ridiculous.

Here's the price development of the S6 since the introduction.

DhiomPF.png

€699 for a phone is just laughable.

tzare

But one thing’s certain, namely the Galaxy S7, LG G5, HTC One M10 and so on and so forth will be initially valued at north of $600 apiece. More precisely, €700 as far as Samsung’s standard “next big thing” is concerned on the old continent, claim sources close to a fairly credible Dutch tech blog.

If true, that’s likely to convert to $700 stateside, whereas the S7 Edge should set you back €800 in Europe and $800 in North America respectively with 32GB internal storage. Chances are you won’t really need extra on-board digital hoarding room, as the two phones support microSD expansion, but if you want 64 gigs of local space nonetheless, expect to pay €70 or €80 more.

Even more ridiculous.

Here's the price development of the S6 since the introduction.

DhiomPF.png

€699 for a phone is just laughable.

People pay that and more for iphones...... yes i know iphones are cool and ll that but... as long as a few will pay that amount at launch, it makes sense. It will drop later, so no prob.

I really want to see all those new midrange Qualcomm socs next year. if 6XX series con come to SD800 performance, and phones come with decent cameras, 2+GB of ram and fingerprint scanner it will be more than enough for most users.

Blackhead

Redarse
That said i didn't know those modules existed, could you provide a link to check them?
Tho those use specific apps or can be used with Peel for example (the one i use now that has a very convenient lock screen widget)
There's lots out there e.g. iRed. You can even diy yourself for cheaper. I know peel had and iOS app that works with a wireless IR blaster. Not sure if it that works with Android too

tzare

There's lots out there e.g. iRed. You can even diy yourself for cheaper. I know peel had and iOS app that works with a wireless IR blaster. Not sure if it that works with Android too

thanks will check them. The ones i've found so far are quite 'big' . Will keep searching though.

maxcriden

I believe the Moto E is Micro USB rather than Mini USB that the PS3 uses.

The USB cord that came with your phone will do. It's the same cable you use to charge the phone.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. As you suspected, the PS3 cord didn't work but I'll grab a Mini USB today.

Now, I am duly confused having called Motorola. I was going to just grab a prepaid tracphone to use in the meantime while they receive, repair and/or replace my phone. The customer service rep recommended however that I just buy a replacement for my phone at Walmart. The fee to repair the screen was going to be $75 and then...he said a customer told him the phone cost was $50ish at WM.

http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=moto e

So, I found the top two phones and figured one would work. Keep in mind I use Straight Talk on AT&T's network so I figured the AT&T phone is what I want.

I'm confused, though.

(1) I misread and thought the phone was available for in-store pick-up. It's not. It won't arrive until next Thursday. Blegh.

(2) I don't know if I can even use this phone. I know very little about phones and networks. I know I previously got the unlocked Moto directly from the company or Amazon or something. But, this one isn't unlocked. It's AT&T prepaid. is that what I want with Straight Talk? Or do I need an unlocked model? I don't want to wait for this to come and then find out I can't use it. Blegh.

So my options are...

-Fix for nearly the cost of a new phone. ($75)
-Get this $50 phone? But will it work with my plan?
-Use my sim card in a different phone entirely? Will that work, as long as it's an unlocked phone? If so, what do I want...? Keep in mind I am the bare bones smartphone customer who was delighted with a Moto E and want to spend as little as possible....

Thanks all!!!

Edit: Amazon Moto E search if that helps...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n...moto+e&ie=UTF8&qid=1455279363&rnid=2335753011

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B016QP7SKC/?tag=neogaf0e-20 <-- AT&T

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TFAVFJG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TFAVFL4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(What's the difference between these two unlocked Moto E's? 3G vs. 4G? Is that something I need to be concerned with...?)

From the 3G/GSM one:

will the moto e work on strat talk?
Answer:

This is an unlocked moto e so it will work on any network that uses a sim card. Straight talk can work both with and without a sim card. You just need to purchase the straight talk with GSM/sim option.
By loggiebooks on July 31, 2015 SELLER

Will this work with straight Talk?
Answer:

This phone is unlocked to work with any GSM carrier SIM card.
By ARAV INCORPORATED on July 16, 2015 SELLER

How do I know if I was using a GSM or not for my SIM card previously? I guess when I see the top bit of my phone that still works it says LTE...does that mean 4G? @_@

Sorry to be so unaware about this stuff!

Got my 6p ordered from amazon. It's on a lengthy backorder it seems.

Naturally this is making me second guess my decisions. Will the original Nexus 6 give me just about everything a 6p would give minus the fingerprint sensor? Will it likely get Android N on release? Is the camera still pretty good at least?

My 4 main points from upgrading my Moto E is:

1) bigger screen
2) latest Android with likely upgrade to Android N this fall
3) good camera
4) good performance and snappy (I don't play games though)

It seems like the regular Nexus 6 could hit all 4 of these points.

Got my 6p ordered from amazon. It's on a lengthy backorder it seems.

Naturally this is making me second guess my decisions. Will the original Nexus 6 give me just about everything a 6p would give minus the fingerprint sensor? Will it likely get Android N on release? Is the camera still pretty good at least?

My 4 main points from upgrading my Moto E is:

1) bigger screen
2) latest Android with likely upgrade to Android N this fall
3) good camera
4) good performance and snappy (I don't play games though)

It seems like the regular Nexus 6 could hit all 4 of these points.

Except good camera. It's below average these days.

Wreav

Banned
They are the GOAT smartphone cameras, not just Android. People are afraid to say it but the S6 takes better pictures than the iPhone 6S and +

No one is afraid to say that. S6/Note 5 even kills the 6S+, even with OIS. Apple screwed the pooch on their 6S camera upgrade.

I always wonder who cares about something like am IR blaster, but then I realize that most feel the same about current wireless charging technology.

i use it all the time.

i can see why some wouldn't care but it's a pretty convenient feature.

They are the GOAT smartphone cameras, not just Android. People are afraid to say it but the S6 takes better pictures than the iPhone 6S and +

afraid? people have been saying it since the Note 4.

i use it all the time.

i can see why some wouldn't care but it's a pretty convenient feature.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I stand from the Qi charging perspective.

You either limit your choice immensely by picking phones that have it build-in or you go the add-on route and fuck up the design of your phone.

Wreav

Banned
Matter of fact, I think the G4 even beats the S6's camera. By a hair.

Seems like a push depending on the situation, from what I've seen. Both great cameras.

I'm hoping Sammy doesn't shoot themselves in the foot going back to 12MP, but I can't imagine their image quality will be as good as 2015.

ParityBit

I was thinking of getting the Kindle Fire Kids edition for my son (2 1/2 years old)

Anyone have experience with it, and is it worth it compared to the other options? It is currently 20% off at Amazon.

maxcriden

Still need some assistance if possible (see my long-ass post on previous pg.).

Bottom line--I have a straight talk Moto E 2nd gen. I need a new one. Can I get the cheaper Moto G second gen instead? Will the same sim card (LTE I think) work in there w/ no issues?

Thanks!!

Ahasverus

Still need some assistance if possible (see my long-ass post on previous pg.).

Bottom line--I have a straight talk Moto E 2nd gen. I need a new one. Can I get the cheaper Moto G second gen instead? Will the same sim card (LTE I think) work in there w/ no issues?

Thanks!!
Yes and yes

DagsJT

Huh, I never knew Google removed the device limit from Play Music. That was a real pain in the backside.

Still not sure it's enough to tempt me back from Spotify though.

Huh, I never knew Google removed the device limit from Play Music. That was a real pain in the backside.

Still not sure it's enough to tempt me back from Spotify though.

You do realize when you pay for google play music you also get youtube red?

Since google bundles the two services together it is a far better value than any other streaming service.

Saiyan-Rox

You do realize when you pay for google play music you also get youtube red?

Since google bundles the two services together it is a far better value than any other streaming service.

That's not for everywhere though

Youtube Red isn't available here in the UK for example.

maxcriden

Straight Talk allows you to choose 3 (maybe 4?) different carriers.

You have to be wise when you choose the sim you get from them especially when you are dealing with unlocked phones.

Right. Sorry, I'm a bit confused. What I meant is, when I chose my SIM for my current (broken) phone I picked AT&T. So in order to use it on a different phone, I need to use the SIM card on an AT&T/ST compatible unlocked phone, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom