• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we talk more about the abomination of the Droid Turbo 2? Man last year's Turbo wasn't exactly a looker, but the unique Nylon back was cool. This year....SMH.

Wreav

Banned
Can we talk more about the abomination of the Droid Turbo 2? Man last year's Turbo wasn't exactly a looker, but the unique Nylon back was cool. This year....SMH.

Everyone makes fun of Apple users having a "sense of style", and at the same time nitpick every Android nuance to death.

I'm more perturbed over the split speaker weirdness than the logo.

tzare

The android manufacturers are all pretty dumb though. No SoC is efficient enough to power a huge QHD display without losses. I wouldn't even hate smaller batteries if it matched the previous years battery life (like I'm sure the 6s does). But to go to worse battery life one year later is backwards to me.
That is not the case. Note 4 and 5 have same resolution. Same for Z2,z3,z3+ and z5, and also same resolution and battery for G4. Why would apple be different?
meh in the end it's not surprising for a samsung phone to have wildly different battery from phone to phone based on usage and the apps people
all phones have different battery life depending on individual usage, signal strenght etc

Literally all the reviews I've read have said it's on par or better than the 4.

/shrug
well I posted 2 and there are others I'm just too lazy to post because I'm sure people will go _______ is a turrible publicaiton lol. But like I said, a touchwiz phone with inconsistent performance for different people is known.

is that verizon logo real? Does it really break up the speaker? Or is it just a silly render. I can't believe it's true.

That is not the case. Note 4 and 5 have same resolution. Same for Z2,z3,z3+ and z5, and also same resolution and battery for G4. Why would apple be different?
apple always makes tweaks to their optimization. And they are the one company that never lies about battery life estimates. If they say it's the same they probably did something to the hardware/software to make it the same. Could be wrong though. If people say it has worse battery life then smh indeed.

tzare

apple always makes tweaks to their optimization. And they are the one company that never lies about battery life estimates. If they say it's the same they probably did something to the hardware/software to make it the same. Could be wrong though. If people say it has worse battery life then smh indeed.
Apple can say whatever they want but iphones aren't brilliant on battery life, minus the 6+. They may be a bit more consistent (idle...) considering the different nature of the OS,and lower screen resolution and size compared to most flagships of course.

I would like to know how many pictures can you take with an s6 and an iphone6 before you drain the battery , for example.

Jzero

What's the correct version of play services for the Nexus 6? 238?

My current one says 430 but the latest 430 doesn't want to install

SimleuqiR

What's the correct version of play services for the Nexus 6? 238?

My current one says 430 but the latest 430 doesn't want to install

Supposedly version starting with a 4 are for Marshmellow
Version starting with a 2 are for Lollipop.

I have the 430, and Android Pay is still asking me to update. My guess there is a newer version needed that not even Android Police has.

I just got an e-mail about Android Pay and the New Google Wallet. Why do they both exist rather than being just a single app? It sounds even confusing in the e-mail.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I just got an e-mail about Android Pay and the New Google Wallet. Why do they both exist rather than being just a single app? It sounds even confusing in the e-mail.
I got that same email. It's so ridiculous. "We are simplifying your one app with two apps!"

RuGalz

GW split makes sense to me. You always had to give someone a damn tutorial on how to send money using that app. Now the interface is extremely simple.

But why they couldn't just push Android Pay out as a new app in a bit puzzling. Maybe it has larger coverage because more devices had it pre-installed, so now a larger number of users will have it by default.

SimleuqiR

GW split makes sense to me. You always had to give someone a damn tutorial on how to send money using that app. Now the interface is extremely simple.

But why they couldn't just push Android Pay out as a new app in a bit puzzling. Maybe it has larger coverage because more devices had it pre-installed, so now a larger number of users will have it by default.

ding-ding-breaking-bad.gif

Salsa

and bought

motorola-moto-g-2-gen-2014-xt1068-accesorios-934601-MLU20365708026_082015-F.jpg

WOOO MIDDLEGROUND

continue talkin about your high end bidness you bastards ;_;

pumped about tryin lollipop / marshmallow for the first time at least

Jzero

and bought

WOOO MIDDLEGROUND

Lol. The third gen was too expensive for you or is it not offered in your country?

Salsa

Lol. The third gen was too expensive for you or is it not offered in your country?

350 USD

got this for like $150 with a 32gb sd card and case thrown in

that extra gig of ram would be nice but ehh. coming from an S3 i'll probably like this plenty (mostly for stock-ish android)

hitgirl

and bought

WOOO MIDDLEGROUND

Did you go to the public library and use their internet to post this? I actually sort of like the Moto G. have fun.

Salsa

you guys not only mock my mid range device but also have to mock my tables

imma go to the apple fanbase to talk bout pencils :(

Salsa

They seriously overcharge for phones over there. I purchased my mom's 3rd gen Moto G for less than $200.

carrier stuff is fine, sorta

thing is, I could have gotten that LG G3 S for free with my carrier (I know its kinda crap, but spec wise its on par with this moto and free is free) but I wouldve had to extend my contract for 3 years and eh

rather get this and see what they offer me next year

thing with Motorola is that carriers here dont work with it, so you can only buy at phone stores or used online

I think $150 for this + 32gb sd card is pretty alright all things considered for the prices we tend to get

kind of a Samsung or bust country. and im just tired of touchwiz

my big main thing was wanting as close to stock android as possible for once and this will probably get marshmallow by Nov. im kind of a light phone user tbh. doubt the 1gb will bother me as I rarely do multi tasking

Reckoner

What? Where is it? I actually really liked last year's Droid Turbo. Battery was beast. Even thought of importing one, but ended up with the Nexus 6.

and bought

WOOO MIDDLEGROUND

You couldn't make a better purchase at that price point. It's a very good device.

can we finally say the tablet market is done?

Tab S2 with last years SoC. iPad Mini 4 with last years SoC and no new iPad SWM. PC makers tossing out tablets with the free Atoms they got fro Intel. Nobody else even pretending to try...

Tab S2 with last years SoC. iPad Mini 4 with last years SoC and no new iPad SWM. PC makers tossing out tablets with the free Atoms they got fro Intel. Nobody else even pretending to try...

I really don't really know where tablet's go at this point. The higher end ones are fast with beautiful screens, good battery life and keyboard add ons if that's your thing. I use a Tab S and there is absolutely no reason to move to a Tab S2, and I really was trying to find a reason.

I feel like Tablets peaked a year ago.

No Love

Banned
and bought

WOOO MIDDLEGROUND

If you want, I can mail you a phone. Would it work where you're at? Should have all the bands enabled...

Reckoner

I really don't really know where tablet's go at this point. The higher end ones are fast with beautiful screens, good battery life and keyboard add ons if that's your thing. I use a Tab S and there is absolutely no reason to move to a Tab S2, and I really was trying to find a reason.

I feel like Tablets peaked a year ago.

If there's something that recently we were hinted at is that the tablet-laptop market is being merged. It will all be Surfaces in the future. It actually surprises me how Microsoft finally found their way to make something they wanted for years. The iPad Pro demo showed clearly how iOS is slowly expanding to be a productivity/multitasking guide. If the Pro does well, I can see MacBooks becoming a thing of the past and iOS taking over.

Btw does anyone know when to expect the Z5 and the 6s to get in reviewers/youtubers hands?

reKon

Banned

I mean there's no reason to switch if you're happy with performance and the battery life still holds up. I kept hearing around the web that the Tab S lagged a ton. Even reviews for the Tab S2 noted that Samsung addressed the main complaint.

A surface laptop would be most ideal for me, but I couldn't justify spending for that when I have powerful htpc at home hooked to my TV and a Carbon X1 laptop as my work computer... Whenever I leave my company, that's when I'll actually need a laptop...

Oh w/e I'll probably buy a Surface for the hell of it in a few years lol.

CronoShot

Just got the Android Pay update from Google Wallet on my Note 5. Weird thing is that it replaces Google Wallet in my app drawer, but is still listed as Google Wallet in the Play Store.

Will try it out tomorrow.

No Love

Banned

I just uninstalled Google Wallet today. People actually use that? I never found a compelling reason.

zewone

I think I'm going to get that OP2 instead of the N5 during that one hour sale.

Faster chipset, 4GB RAM, and 64GBs are calling me.

Reckoner

I think I'm going to get that OP2 instead of the N5 during that one hour sale.

Faster chipset, 4GB RAM, and 64GBs are calling me.

The screen, battery, fake usb-c and customer support though.

Well, it's not a terrible phone, but if I were you I would wait or think better so you don't go in on an impulse buy that you may regret. They do those one hour sales, especially after an iPhone announcement (lol), just for that.

Quixzlizx

Well, it's not a terrible phone, but if I were you I would wait or think better so you don't go in on an impulse buy that you may regret. They do those one hour sales, especially after an iPhone announcement (lol), just for that.

Also no NFC in case you live in the US and want to use Android Pay.

zewone

What's wrong with the screen? I'll have to check out the reviews again. Fake USB-C doesn't bother me.
Also no NFC in case you live in the US and want to use Android Pay.

I have zero interest in trying to use Android pay. I don't shop anywhere that accepts it. And I've never used NFC for anything except one Google Wallet transaction years ago for novelty.

So does anyone know if you can use Android Pay without data/wifi on. Is it like Google Wallet in which the first transaction of a day needed to connect to the internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom