• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
CbnKM6tXIAIZKhC.jpg:large

Evan Blass ‏@evleaks 9m minutes ago

I think it looks better here. If you disagree, please do so tactfully. Those who can't, should probably unfollow me

well, we all thought the 6P was fugly and look how that turned out

want to see a graphite color

Jigolo

That dumb paper has been printed many times over and it's just a rumor round up photo that Phonearena made for that article. S7 doesn't have a pressure sensitive display and it's ip68 certified not 67

Here is the week old article that I was talking about. Someone just printed the picture phonearena made along with a printed and cropped picture of the Press shots evleaks got out. Somehow this was enough to fool almost all the blogs and r/android

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Rumo...op-up-once-again-leave-us-unsurprised_id78277

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I'm this close to buying a Nextbit Robin to replace the Nexus 5X. But the person who I'm giving the Robin to absolutely needs a case. And the official case ruins the fun look of the phone. Damn.

Ah, yes. The magical software buttons that keep covering media buttons when you maximize embedded videos. Fantastic innovation, would use again.

There are so few phones out there that actually couldn't house hardware buttons in the lower bezel, it's a joke.

Preach on, brot

PREACH

HARDWARE BUTTONS 4LYFE

Crap camera software combined with the fact that the Nexus 5X has performance issues because (Presumably) Android can't handle encryption with only 2GB's of RAM.

Wow, that bad, huh?

It makes me wonder why the hell did they made the Nexus 5x in the first place when they could've just only stick to the Nexus 6p & charge $400 for 32 GB, $500 for 64 GB, & $600 for 128 GB instead. A lot of sales for the 6p would've gone through the roof.

reKon

Banned
damn it, I realized that if I get the S7, I'm going to deal with the T-Mobile bloatware again. Ughhhhh

Can I like root my phone, get rid of the bloatware, and then unroot it so I can use it for work e-mail?

damn it, I realized that if I get the S7, I'm going to deal with the T-Mobile bloatware again. Ughhhhh

Can I like root my phone, get rid of the bloatware, and then unroot it so I can use it for work e-mail?

T-Mobile has like 4 apps they pre-install. Compare that to AT&T and Verizon and it's barely anything.

Jigolo

Why not just buy it unlocked? It's going to have band 12 (actually all compatible t-mo and att bands) and it'll recieve updates faster.

clav

CM13 has been ported to the NA version of the Zenfone 2 Laser. Finally! Gonna wait for some links to get sorted out and then I'm in.

Wait at least 6 months for refinement.

CM always feels like unfinished beta until the last months before the next update especially when the phone is not based on Nexus hardware.

According to evleaks the G5 has a 2800mAh battery replaceable. Not sure if that's old news or not but I didn't see any complaining about it so I assume not. Even smaller than the G4 and I've heard G4 battery isn't fantastic to begin with.

Nope, 2014 was with 801/805 SOC.
Last year was bad time for Android, Samsung was exception, they did ok, just ok.

G2 was great. G3 had shit performance and battery. G4 crap battery and performance.

S4 was bad. S5 WAS really good in the battery department. S6 battery is terrible.

M7 terrible battery. M8 OK (I think). M9 terrible.

Z3 great performance and battery. Z3+, z5 terrible performance.

Moto x 2014 awful battery, Moto X 2015 OK battery and below average performance.

Nexus 5 terrible battery, good performance. Nexus 6 average battery, average performance.

6p average battery and performance. 5x terrible performance and "OK" battery.

In the past three years name one where all flagships were extremely well rounded. You can't.

This year the 820 may finally catch up with the displays and 64 bit Encrypted Android. We can only hope. It looks like the G5 and S7 could be off to a good start. Looks like the OEMs arent dumb enough to downgrade battery and upgrade displays thus year, at least.

longdi

Banned
I would say G2, Z2/Z3*, S5/Note4, HTC M8, Moto Turbo were good times for Android, where you can get mostly 60fps UI and full day battery.

*Sony still have the best battery-saving options opened to users. Not sure how Marshmallow will even things up for the other OEMs.

I hope 2016 flagships use 3000~3200mah battery.

Noema

I still think that if the Moto X 2014 had had better camera and a decent battery it would've been one of the greats.

Alas.

People seem to like the 6p. I really can't think of anything glaringly wrong with it. It's snappy; camera's great; enough RAM; battery is not an issue; display's OK. Looks are polarizing but as far as metal and glass slabs go, you could do worse. Plus it's a Nexus so it won't be abandoned for a couple of years. It'll run N and very likely O.

reKon

Banned
I don't know why I ever bother checking out BGR. I'm pretty sure they are bigger Apple fanboys than the Verge. They don't even try to hide it.

vwnut13

Has anybody else had issues with the Play Store lately? I have been experiencing an issue for the past few weeks where I'm missing content from certain pages.

This has been happening on any device that I sign into the Play Store with my account on. Android devices, and any web browsers on PC.

Here are some screenshots of what is happening.

Google Chrome: http://imgur.com/a/3P13I
Moto G (2013): http://imgur.com/a/3P13I

All of the content is available if I manually search for it, it just isn't showing up in the promotional pages.

I have tried everything that Google recommended, restarting, making sure parental controls aren't set, clearing cache, uninstalling Play Store Updates, removing my account, etc. Every once in a while one of these methods will restore my Play Store to 'normal' across all my devices, but within a few minutes it will revert itself.

The Google support representative said that this was a new issue to them, and that it has been escalated.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Back placement is superior. The only people against it are people who haven't used it or who primarily use phone while it lies on a table.

Back placement is superior. The only people against it are people who haven't used it or who primarily use phone while it lies on a table.

It's a half-baked solution until we can get the reader into the digitizer. I didn't think you'd be in favor of something like that.

nah! why waste space on the bezel when you can waste screen space!?

Especially since there is going be a bezel no matter what. You need to put the antennas, microphones, earpiece, speakerphone, USB port, and headphone jack SOMEWHERE so there is going to be a bezel. Why not use the bezel for buttons instead of your screen?

Software buttons are literally the worst innovation since Xbox One always-online DRM.

clav

I hate how capacitive hardware buttons make holding the phone so accidental key press prone.

Give your phone to someone to share, and it happens. Oops pressed the menu or back key. Guest user is lost how to get back to the photo.

Really an issue in landscape mode when thumbs hug the side of the phone.

Wouldn't be much of an issue if the buttons were physical.

At least for on screen buttons, users enjoy bigger screen estate when playing games, viewing photos, and watching videos.

At least for on screen buttons, users enjoy bigger screen estate when playing games, viewing photos, and watching videos.

This doesn't make any sense. The screen is not a tiny bit bigger! Software buttons take up space on your screen and some apps just get rid of them, so you get your full screen estate back. With hardware buttons, your apps are always "full screen".

clav

This doesn't make any sense. The screen is not a tiny bit bigger! Software buttons take up space on your screen and some apps just get rid of them, so you get your full screen estate back. With hardware buttons, your apps are always "full screen".
Capacitive hardware buttons suck.

My last phone was a Windows Mobile 6.5 phone that had physical hardware keys, so it didn't run into the accidental button press issue as often as capacitive keys did.

Since apps hide on screen buttons in those scenarios prone to accidental key presses, I see an advantage.

3phemeral

Has anybody else had issues with the Play Store lately? I have been experiencing an issue for the past few weeks where I'm missing content from certain pages.

This has been happening on any device that I sign into the Play Store with my account on. Android devices, and any web browsers on PC.

Here are some screenshots of what is happening.

Google Chrome: http://imgur.com/a/3P13I
Moto G (2013): http://imgur.com/a/3P13I

All of the content is available if I manually search for it, it just isn't showing up in the promotional pages.

I have tried everything that Google recommended, restarting, making sure parental controls aren't set, clearing cache, uninstalling Play Store Updates, removing my account, etc. Every once in a while one of these methods will restore my Play Store to 'normal' across all my devices, but within a few minutes it will revert itself.

The Google support representative said that this was a new issue to them, and that it has been escalated.
This isn't "new" but maybe it was only recently acknowledged or reported. I remember having this same issue years ago.

Clearly hardware buttons shrink your screen.

Immersive mode and Pie Controls, yo (stock, root, xposed, gravitybox). I've been using it on android since switching from Lumia 2 years ago. Can't live without it on my nexus 6p, and I was the same with my nexus 5 before that. I couldn't imagine going back to hardware or capacitive buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom