• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

My only complaint about the S7 is the damn microusb port. Was type C really out of the question for them? They'll be the only major producers to use it this year.
Yeah if Samsung had put type C in it would've gone a long way in getting adopted faster, damnit. Maybe their method of fast charging wasn't completely ported to USB C yet. To me it's not a big deal but type C is the future and there is no doubt in my mind that if the S7 had it, it would take off much faster. Note 6 will definitely have it

Tizoc

So my brother got an Android Galaxy Tab 3 Lite for our 2 year old nephew.
I'd like to know a few things
1- This tab comes with a micro SD, what is the biggest size card it can handle without issues?
2- If it is OK to ask, otherwise I'll edit my post, What emulators work with this Galaxy Tab model? Is there a DOSBox-like app that can let one use a virtual keyboard for that matter?
3- What is a good video app to watch .MKV videos?
4- What are some of the best mobile games available thru Google Play and its companion shops? Is Monument Valley available? I am mostly looking for PnC games
5- EDIT: Also what's a good .CBZ and .CBR app to read comics on, I've gotten some Peanuts comics from HumbleBundle that I'd like to add to it if possible.

My only complaint about the S7 is the damn microusb port. Was type C really out of the question for them? They'll be the only major producers to use it this year.

I agree. I'm passing on it because of this. It would have made a great phone to get me through until Nexus time again.

Toki767

They probably don't have a new Gear VR with Type-C to release yet. Just cheaper to stick to micro USB while Type-C sorts itself out. Remember Samsung were also one of the ones to hold out both capacitive buttons and the menu buttons for the longest time.

Ah no, most people dont care.
I'm so over android phones at this point. Tired of how glitchy android auto is on anything but a nexus it seems. Tired of hoping for a non gimped non fucking massive nexus. Tired of how unexplainably shitty touchwiz is. All these weird ass stupid gimmicks. Waiting half a year and still not having a major OS update. They do't even do security updates anymore. Tired of how much worse certain apps are on this thing compared to the same iOS app. And on and on and on.

I'm at the point where iphone 7 is 100%. With that said, android is still my preference for tablets because of the things I do on them. Hoping we get a good one this year and not the abomination that was the nexus 9. Sometimes it shows flashes of being ok but 99% of the time I use it these days I just hate it. Even standby time is UTTER garbage and it's running marshmallow.

yyzjohn

Banned
I'm so over android phones at this point. Tired of how glitchy android auto is on anything but a nexus it seems. Tired of hoping for a non gimped non fucking massive nexus. Tired of how unexplainably shitty touchwiz is. All these weird ass stupid gimmicks. Waiting half a year and still not having a major OS update. They do't even do security updates anymore. Tired of how much worse certain apps are on this thing compared to the same iOS app. And on and on and on.

I'm at the point where iphone 7 is 100%. With that said, android is still my preference for tablets because of the things I do on them. Hoping we get a good one this year and not the abomination that was the nexus 9. Sometimes it shows flashes of being ok but 99% of the time I use it these days I just hate it. Even standby time is UTTER garbage and it's running marshmallow.

Don't sugar coat it man tell us how you really hate Android.

clav

I agree. I'm passing on it because of this. It would have made a great phone to get me through until Nexus time again.

Now truly, the phone is DOA.... except for the sheep that buy anything Samsung.

On the upside, at least it doesn't use a proprietary port.

Does anyone remember the Galaxy Tab USB cable?

W6UnKLY.jpg

Ah yes, the next phase of the Android Update Alliance.

You guys remember that, right?

Whatever happened to that?

You just hate Android. Let's face it. Why do you even post here if you're just here to shit on the platform?

Cry more, maybe someone will care someday

reKon

Banned
Now truly, the phone is DOA.... except for the sheep that buy anything Samsung.

I love the over reactions here. This is likely going to be my first Samsung phone since the Galaxy

Lmao. You finally let it all out. I sort of think you have terrible luck because my experience has not been that bad on any device I've used.

I don't own a single apple product. I own a moto x play, an s6, a nexus 9, etc...

I'm not here to blow smoke up anyone's ass or suck that google peen. Those are just my thoughts. You'll rarely see me forcing them on other people who ask for android related questions or need android help.

Don't sugar coat it man tell us how you really hate Android.

On the upside, at least it doesn't use a proprietary port.

Does anyone remember the Galaxy Tab USB cable?

W6UnKLY.jpg

Whatever happened to that?

You just hate Android. Let's face it. Why do you even post here if you're just here to shit on the platform?
Guys, there is nothing wrong with being critical of Android. It's important to see both sides of the equation. Sometimes that just leads to venting in the case of Pyro. Better to post here than the land of sunshine and roses that is IPhone.

Even though most people won't care about usb-c/micro usb, I get why some people here and online hate on the lack of usb c. I personally don't want to buy anything without usb c but I admit it's mostly mental for me. I just want to future proof all my technology going forward in all ways. Hoping to be all usb c'd up by the end of the year from the car to the home. Kind of annoying to have one thing use something else. I'd say it's 65% mental for me and 35% practical.

edit: ^^ that's why I like this thread, call out BS when we see it and can discuss things as well. My rant is coming off of 3 out of my 4 android products pissing me off lately lol. Namely the S6 and nex9. Only reason I'm not using my xplay instead is because I can't get used to that size.

Guys, there is nothing wrong with being critical of Android. It's important to see both sides of the equation. Sometimes that just leads to venting in the case of Pyro. Better to post here than the land of sunshine and roses that is IPhone.

If you aren't praising Apple they silently delete your existence. That's why the the iWay only has sunshine and roses. The other people....got deleted.

Even though most people won't care about usb-c/micro usb, I get why some people here and online hate on the lack of usb c. I personally don't want to buy anything without usb c but I admit it's mostly mental for me. I just want to future proof all my technology going forward in all ways. Hoping to be all usb c'd up by the end of the year from the car to the home. Kind of annoying to have one thing use something else. I'd say it's 65% mental for me and 35% practical.

edit: ^^ that's why I like this thread, call out BS when we see it and can discuss things as well. My rant is coming off of 3 out of my 4 android products pissing me off lately lol. Namely the S6 and nex9. Only reason I'm not using my xplay instead is because I can't get used to that size.
I know the feeling of wanting to future proof. It's getting to me in nearly everything now :/
If you aren't praising Apple they silently delete your existence. That's why the the iWay only has sunshine and roses. The other people....got deleted.
It all makes sense now.

I agree with pyro's post since I own the Nexus 9 but still see an awesome future for Android. It's been a rough couple years for Android between the shitty cpus and major architecture upgrades to the OS.

I like to bitch about it too but was glad to stick through it than give a dime to Apple. Apple IMO is a selfish, arrogant and just a plain rotten company.

As long as HTC quality control doesnt blow it I think we are going to have a really really good Nexus phone or two this fall.

Bloodember

I'm with you, sick of the wait for updates and app performance. I'm probably switching to the dark side come this fall and get an Iphone 7. Battery life and timely updates are my priority.

Yeah, I like android for my tablet as well, I have a Nvidia Shield, and it finally got the 6.0 update this week sometime.

reKon

Banned
I'm with you, sick of the wait for updates and app performance. I'm probably switching to the dark side come this fall and get an Iphone 7. Battery life and timely updates are my priority.

Yeah, I like android for my tablet as well, I have a Nvidia Shield, and it finally got the 6.0 update this week sometime.

hmmm

reKon

Banned
What's this suppose to mean?

I bolded battery life because while the iPhone has pretty solid battery, there have been many flagship Android phones over the years that have had very good battery life. Last year wasn't a great year though, even for the Xperia Z5.

I use kodi a lot and other things I can't really do as well with an ipad on my nexus 9. Tis a shame.

Android to lose app drawer http://www.androidauthority.com/excl...drawer-674571/

The march toward just straight up being iOS continues.

iPhone 7 is looking likely for me.
wow now that's just funny haha. I guess it was destined to be more like iOS.

Can't say I'd mind if they got rid of the app drawer. All the apps I want to use aren't going to be in the drawer and the only purpose of it is to hide the crappy apps I can't get rid of and I can just make a CrApple folder for that if necessary.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So funny how people championed the differences of Android as reasons why it's better than iOS. Apple just did it properly from the start, for the most part. I prefer a vertical app drawer for sure but for the masses, the iOS way has always been the best way.

didn't you get the 6s and then sold it?
Underwhelming hardware design. It was just bland and boring.

I use kodi a lot and other things I can't really do as well with an ipad on my nexus 9. Tis a shame.

I also use Kodi on my HTPC and it just oozes with the shit I hate about open source software.

Shit design, nothing is coherent about it, no official support (no Netflix, Youtube or Spotify apps), horrible update model (or non-existent in this case).

But at least it's free, so yay.

It's not to diminish the things it actually does great. But god fucking damn it, it's 2016 and I don't want to download an .exe file from your homepage to update software that's supposed to run seamlessly on my TV.

Hasney

I also use Kodi on my HTPC and it just oozes with the shit I hate about open source software.

Shit design, nothing is coherent about it, no official support (no Netflix, Youtube or Spotify apps), horrible update model (or non-existent in this case).

It's not to diminish the things it actually does great. But god fucking damn it, it's 2016 and I don't want to download an .exe file from your homepage to update software that's supposed to run seamlessly on my TV.

The Android TV version gets around that so well since it's just an all, I can go back on it to do YouTube and all that shizz and just use that to get into my SMB shares.

kodi is absolutely garbage on mobile as well. It crashes like crazy and most skins aren't meant for a touch interface and it's overall extremely unpleasent but it does what I need and I don't want to learn something else :(

reKon

Banned
So funny how people championed the differences of Android as reasons why it's better than iOS. Apple just did it properly from the start, for the most part. I prefer a vertical app drawer for sure but for the masses, the iOS way has always been the best way.

Underwhelming hardware design. It was just bland and boring.

Yeah... home screens of full of app icons, especially the ones I don't use as often is really desirable! Screw a nice clean look and who cares about an awesome background that's blocked by icons anyways? iOS does everything best

clav

Android to lose app drawer.

Or it may have an app drawer.

This is some clickbait shit.

I criticize all platforms.

Criticism requires reason. Otherwise, you're saying nothing.

Pyro hates Samsung products, which is at fault due to the nature of running Linux closed source.

The Android TV version gets around that so well since it's just an all, I can go back on it to do YouTube and all that shizz and just use that to get into my SMB shares.

Is there a good and reliable x86 port of Android TV? And even then, I still use Steam in-home streaming and since Valve doesn't care about anything other than making a ton of money, I can even use it with the Steam Android app. Because that would require some sort of effort from them.

Hasney

Is there a good and reliable x86 port of Android TV? And even then, I still use Steam in-home streaming and since Valve doesn't care about anything other than making a ton of money, I can even use it with the Steam Android app. Because that would require some sort of effort from them.

Are you using Nvida graphics on the host PC? Limelight should work in that case. Android TV x86 is still experimental, but worth following
http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/software-hacking/wip-androidtv-pc-t3117875

I need to work out the spec on my TV. Side loaded the Ouya store to play a 2D wrestling game and it chugged like shit.

Updates are not much worse with Nexus devices than IOS. Nexus gets monthly security updates now. IOS NEEDS to push updates more often than Android due to how they update Apple branded apps. People also seem to forget all the features they are getting through google play services throughout the year through silent updates on ALL android phones

The 2015 Nexus devices this year would have probably had same or better battery life than the iPhones if the 808/810 would not have been such inefficient missteps.

I fully expect the 2016 Nexi to go toe-to-toe with the new iPhones in all ways except single core performance.

I just started using Nvidia Game Stream with my Shield Android TV and holy fuck didnt know it would include a steam app on my android tv. Awesome

I criticize all platforms.

Criticism requires reason. Otherwise, you're saying nothing.

Pyro hates Samsung products, which is at fault due to the nature of running Linux closed source.
Well, it's not hard to hate Samsung products. Besides, he isn't the only one that hates them. Look at my posts from earlier in this thread; I also hold a strong distaste for Samsung products because of TouchWiz. I just don't talk about it much.

Edit: I still don't don't see the hate for large phones, but we all like different things. I really like my 6P *shrugs*

^^^I'm fully onboard for a good nexus device but in the android space good has only come to mean very large. Dislike that a lot. Smaller = gimped in ways where it shouldn't be. See nexus 5x. Which wasn't even that small. But if a great sized overall great device comes out from google during nexus/iphone season I may reconsider. It's just where I stand now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I think the 6P is the first phone where I'm not clamoring for better battery life. The days where I'm struggling are due to Services.

The Nextbit Robin is sold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom