• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Well, it's not hard to hate Samsung products. Besides, he isn't the only one that hates them. Look at my posts from earlier in this thread; I also hold a strong distaste for Samsung products because of TouchWiz. I just don't talk about it much.

Edit: I still don't don't see the hate for large phones, but we all like different things. I really like my 6P *shrugs*

I don't like how they abandon their hardware so quickly. It's like well they made fancy exclusive proprietary hardware that uses proprietary drivers.

The problem is Linux's nature with kernels and drivers. A bump up in the kernel can simply destroy drivers, causing delays in already an arduous process of carrier approval. Driver approval. Carrier approval. So many sign-offs.

That thing with security updates? That's the Linux kernel if you didn't know already. You can always track progress here: http://www.kernel.org/ Of course, Android kernel is slightly tinkered with its own additions: http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/blogs/browse/2013/03/defining-android-vs-embedded-linux

Short-sighted companies don't consider maintenance as part of the initial costs since that drives away profit. Samsung ruined Android in that aspect. When sales department decides product portfolios without consulting engineering supervision, backfires will happen.

One-handed use and pocket-factors are still important factors to consider. Every user has different sized hands, so those factors matter.

reKon

Banned
Precisely. Bottom of the article says they haven't seen Android N and don't know if it has a app drawer or not.

Well this thread wouldn't be a genuine Android GAF thread, if it didn't at least have any pre-preemptive shitting on Android months before we any confirmed rumor about the next release!

clav

I expect Android N to be a minor bump to smooth out any bugs in M.

That would keep consistent with the 2 years support that Google promised last year in its Nexus lineup.

Google's next big release will probably be with O.

That would keep consistent with the 2 years support that Google promised last year in its Nexus lineup.

That doesnt make any sense. M was exactly what you were describing N to be. Google does huge releases when they are ready. Nothing to do with Nexus support cycles.

Wreav

Banned
And let's not pretend there's any rhyme or reason to them completely throwing out their design language and replacing with another from scratch.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

That's what M was to L.

reKon

Banned

that's what M was supposed to be for Lollipop...

I wouldn't know though seeing as all of my devices are still on Lollipop.

Don't have many complaints though because it's getting to the point where there are barely any features I'm waiting for. My Xperia phone already gets good battery and it doesn't drain 20% from idling for 12 hours. For as small as the battery is on my tablet, always constantly around average 6 hours of on screen time through web browsing over a period of 4 days or so. Both devices are very fast and the TouchWiz skin is a non issue. I use Nova launcher anyways.

Android M has a few additional features I want phone wise, but I wouldn't mind if the rest focus on stability. The next android tablet feature should be multitasking/multiwindow. Remix OS already seems to do that well, so Google should bounce off that for ideas.

clav

That doesnt make any sense. M was exactly what you were describing N to be. Google does huge releases when they are ready. Nothing to do with Nexus support cycles.
That's what M was to L.

that's what M was supposed to be for Lollipop...

I wouldn't know though seeing as all of my devices are still on Lollipop.

Don't have many complaints though because it's getting to the point where there are barely any features I'm waiting for. My Xperia phone already gets good battery and it doesn't drain 20% from idling for 12 hours. For as small as the battery is on my tablet, always constantly around average 6 hours of on screen time through web browsing over a period of 4 days or so. Both devices are very fast and the TouchWiz skin is a non issue. I use Nova launcher anyways.

Android M has a few additional features I want phone wise, but I wouldn't mind if the rest focus on stability. The next android tablet feature should be multitasking/multiwindow. Remix OS already seems to do that well, so Google should bounce off that for ideas.
That's my prediction.

We'll see.

I'm basing this from the Kernel unless Google plans to use a a newer Linux Kernel.

edit: Isn't Google On Tap's implementation still a work in progress? Also the whole fingerprint reading getting better over time doesn't seem to ring true. Doze isn't working 100% correctly, so we'll hear another Project Volta 3.0.

Jigolo

N is gonna be Honeycomb 2.0

joking

But I do expect a little bit of work on the tablet interface and android tablet apps.

Wreav

Banned
But I do expect a little bit of work on the tablet interface and android tablet apps.

lol, based on what evidence?

android tablet usefulness is like a mirage in the desert. glimmers of hope only to be acrid pits of dispair at closer inspection.

Jigolo

lol, based on what evidence?

android tablet usefulness is like a mirage in the desert. glimmers of hope only to be acrid pits of dispair at closer inspection.

Prediction based on the little changes in the Pixel C.

I still prefer my Android tablet to my iPad. The interface is better. The apps I use are better on Android like reddit is fun, gmail, instagram, youtube, movies. I can download shit from the web. You buy a game on your phone and you can play it on you tablet without paying twice.

HawkeyeIC

Other than split screen 'M' is the first time I have been really happy with Android. Chrome is the other issue but day to day I dont feel like I'm lacking any features or there are huge bugs.

It's pretty much expected for Android that every year is bug fixes with about dozen small features and then about 3 - 5 semi large ones.

You only get a large bomb every once in a while when it's needed or ready. Android 4 and Android 5 come to mind. 6 was a total bug fix plus catchup to missing features in IOS.

For N the only thing I really care about besides performance/battery improvements is that Google finally turns messenger into an imessage competitor and hangouts gets turned into slack.

It's pretty much expected for Android that every year is bug fixes with about dozen small features and then about 3 - 5 semi large ones.

You only get a large bomb every once in a while when it's needed or ready. Android 4 and Android 5 come to mind. 6 was a total bug fix plus catchup to missing features in IOS.

For N the only thing I really care about besides performance/battery improvements is that Google finally turns messenger into an imessage competitor and hangouts gets turned into slack.
IMessage equivalent on Android is wishful thinking. Unless Google wants to surprise us with Android N.

IMessage equivalent on Android is wishful thinking. Unless Google wants to surprise us with Android N.

Why else would you move your precious hangouts users to messenger which is on ancient SMS tech? We have already heard the rumor of google doing bots in its messaging. Google is going to add data to messenger and bots. It's going to push it hard on Android users and give hangouts more business features.

Why else remove SMS from hangouts and you gotta bet Google hates that it's Google Apps for biz customers are using slack/hipchat instead of the included hangouts.

They'd have no reason to port it to other platforms. With Apple Music it made sense because other streaming services were on multiple platforms and Apple Music isn't a standout service to be able to exist only in iOS. iMessage wouldn't offer Apple any financial benefit to put it on other platforms and would probably do more harm than good since I imagine some people probably own an iDevice just for iMessage because everybody they know uses it.

Fezan

CbsnGTTXIAQwwnd.jpg

Wow what happened to Sony designer after fantastic looking z series

Source evleaks

Looks closer to a Windows Phone design than an iPhone to me.

I actually kinda like it apart from the weird location of the volume buttons (if that what that longer bar is on the side).

Saiyan-Rox

I can't turn off the DND mode S:

I tap it and nothing happens. I press the volume button and it gives me the option to "end now" but also does nothing. A reboot also doesn't work.

WTF I've already had to reflash the software this week due to it acting up

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Which keyboards do you guys use?
Fleksy although it is just getting worse and worse. Good luck using it to post on gaf without it freaking out somehow. Any Fleksy refugees out there with a new keyboard?

CbsnGTTXIAQwwnd.jpg

Wow what happened to Sony designer after fantastic looking z series

Source evleaks
Yo this looks great

Groof

Fleksy although it is just getting worse and worse. Good luck using it to post on gaf without it freaking out somehow. Any Fleksy refugees out there with a new keyboard?
I tried Chrooma a bit. Same shitty algorithm as the stock Google keyboard. Went back to Fleksy

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
holy fuck. IP68?

galaxy-s7-edge-box-leaked-1-297x540.jpg

galaxy-s7-edge-box-leaked-2-556x540.jpg

i thought it was IP67. S5 was IP67 and I had that bitch in swimming pools no problem. Fucking amazing.

Mindwipe

I wouldn't assume many big changes in M, just because the change of Java engines under the hood due to the Oracle lawsuit is going to have eaten up a very significant amount of Google's manpower this year.

Groof

Digging the G5. Standard aluminium finish doesn't look good but the graphite one is slick.
Liking the modularity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom