• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
LG doesn't make the most durable hardware imo. Will be interesting how their modular friends can stand the test of time.

kami_sama

I'm liking more and more the G5's look, even in white. Having usb c is also great.
I don't like the jack placement.
And there still nothing on the camera (last year's was great) and battery.

Wait the screen in the G5 isn't AMOLED? Expected LG to make the jump.

Hope the rumors aren't true and the Alcatel Idol 4S is cheaper than the $500 price point.

kami_sama

Wait the screen in the G5 isn't AMOLED? Expected LG to make the jump.

Hope the rumors aren't true and the Alcatel Idol 4S is cheaper than the $500 price point.

With Apple having an AMOLED screen on their next phone (or so say the rumors) I think the not enough supply for everyone, even with LG's new factory (I know, it's weird they would sell to themselves before Apple).

Jigolo

With Apple having an AMOLED screen on their next phone (or so say the rumors) I think the not enough supply for everyone, even with LG's new factory (I know, it's weird they would sell to themselves before Apple).

The rumors say an OLED iPhone is rumored to start with the iPhone 8. I haven't seen a single one about the 7 having an OLED screen

The G5 looks pretty cool but the skin is probably even worse than touchwiz. Not sure about that 2800 mah battery either when the S7 is supposedly going to be 3600 mah.

Also, that Xperia leaks looks good. Better than having a stupid glass back.

kami_sama

The G5 looks pretty cool but the skin is probably even worse than touchwiz. Not sure about that 2800 mah battery either when the S7 is supposedly going to be 3600 mah.

Also, that Xperia leaks looks good. Better than having a stupid glass back.

The S7 is going to be 3000mAh. But with a smaller screen and an amoled display.

reKon

Banned
I don't understand this post. What's keeping you from finding that out, seriously?

Didn't realize that information had just came this information about the G5 was covered by a bunch of websites this morning (only watched the verge video). Usually details like dimensions aren't covered until a bit later after the announcement.

Didn't realize that information had just came this information about the G5 was covered by a bunch of websites this morning (only watched the verge video). Usually details like dimensions aren't covered until a bit later after the announcement.
it's pretty tall and pretty wide

also 2800mah is concerning for a 5.3inch quad hd screen. Even though I think the modular thing is really dumb, I give them props for trying something new.

reKon

Banned
Huawei coming out with a surface clone... My windows tablet future is looking brighter! Competition here will be great and push for lower prices.

also 2800mah is concerning for a 5.3inch quad hd screen.

Yeah I really enjoy the innovative things that LG is doing but the size will automatically eliminate this unfortunately. Hopefully HTC comes up with something interesting and comes in a more compact size.

kami_sama

It was either Android authority or pocket now, but the exact words were that "there's currently no way to disable it" but I probably just took them too seriously.

Having the ability to change the homescreen is one of Android's best features. Disabling that feature might be one of the worst decisions ever.

It was either Android authority or pocket now, but the exact words were that "there's currently no way to disable it" but I probably just took them too seriously.

They probably mean within the LG launcher. There isn't a single Android phone that won't let you use a 3rd party launcher as far as I know.

kharma45

I don't see it in either of their written articles nor do I remember it from the pocket now videos.

AA has this in their written hands on

As you might already know, we recently released an article reporting that Google itself is preparing to ditch the app drawer starting with Android N, at least according to two independent sources, and so it’s very possible that LG is just trying to get ahead of the curve. Regardless, the lack of an app drawer will be the most polarizing aspect when it comes to LG’s UI. Of course a 3rd party launcher will resolve much of the issue, but that doesn’t change the fact that the out of the box experience with the LG G5 is very different from stock Android in its current form.

Huawei coming out with a surface clone... My windows tablet future is looking brighter! Competition here will be great and push for lower prices.

Yeah I really enjoy the innovative things that LG is doing but the size will automatically eliminate this unfortunately. Hopefully HTC comes up with something interesting and comes in a more compact size.
that huawei converible is pretty damn nice

Toki767

The G5 looks pretty cool. I don't know how they couldn't fit a bigger battery when the device looks thicker though. I guess they didn't want to develop some weirdly shaped battery but I think there's probably a bit of leftover space inside.

Toki767

S7 seems pretty much what you'd expect. I'll probably upgrade my S6 to it. Unless they did something about that glare on the Edge then I may get that instead.

JamzyT

Neo Member
WOW! Sony Z6 better be something really good, and they better announce it fast..

S7E looks like the real deal now.

Just give up on Sony lol.
Z6 will be medicore, they'll never get it right sadly.

I have more faith in a HTC come back than Sony producing the goods.

reKon

Banned
Just give up on Sony lol.
Z6 will be medicore, they'll never get it right sadly.

I have more faith in a HTC come back than Sony producing the goods.

Z6 with snapdragon 820, marshmallow, and 1080P screen is going to give God like battery life and great performance

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
CbwlZqOW8AAm2Xc.png

CbwlayBW0AAMC4g.jpg

gross

Silver edge looks so nice. I like what LG is trying to do but there's a huge disconnect especially with the small battery and shitty ui. May have to go with the edge.

Furyous

also 2800mah is concerning for a 5.3inch quad hd screen. Even though I think the modular thing is really dumb, I give them props for trying something new.

G5 is dope and less than 5.5 inches but all that expansion slot stuff is overrated minus the battery increase.

One of those add-ons has a 4000 mah battery pack...

Z6 with snapdragon 820, marshmallow, and 1080P screen is going to give God like battery life and great performance

And IR, give us IR Sony. They need add something else to the Z6 thanks to the space savings from the 820 and USB C.

The S7 looks like the winner thus far but Sony has better dev support. Looking forward to buying my second Android smartphone this year.

kami_sama

In the end I think the S7 is the better phone, barring any problems that might arise during reviews (battery, RAM management).
The S6 was a good phone, but the battery, lack of an mSD slot and the RAM just made it a lot worse. They improved the two first thing, and in reviews we'll see if they solved the RAM management issues.

I never doubted the specs would be good on these phones. It's everything else that's the problem. Also the G5 is too big, even if it ran stock I couldn't have it.

S7 is good though. I held one at work and it's smaller in the hand by just a teency bit than my S6. Touchwiz is still a thing though and you won't get android N for god knows how long but the specs are nice if that's your thing. No type c is def baffling .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom