• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
LG keeping the dream of Holo alive

lg-g5-mwc-201602-20_1019vlad-savov-1.0.png

clav

I never doubted the specs would be good on these phones. It's everything else that's the problem. Also the G5 is too big, even if it ran stock I couldn't have it.

S7 is good though. I held one at work and it's smaller in the hand by just a teency bit than my S6. Touchwiz is still a thing though and you won't get android N for god knows how long but the specs are nice if that's your thing. No type c is def baffling .

I think waterproofing is why Samsung stuck with Micro USB. Probably the military has a version of it. Remember Samsung makes more than just consumer devices.

USB-C hasn't been proven yet.

Mindwipe

The S7 Edge is too big for me, and Touchwiz, but it looks pretty nice otherwise.

USB-C controllers are just not ready for primetime yet.

Not seen anything else I'm keen on the design of. I wonder if Sony will have something VR related tomorrow, which they said they might for the Z5P.

diaspora

My biggest thing right now is in camera quality and hardware camera buttons. AFAIK in Android-land the only two doing this are Samsung and Sony, so if the latter is actually competitive with a Z6 I could see myself moving over to a more open/dev-friendly system.

clav

AFAIK in Android-land the only two doing this are Samsung and Sony, so if the latter is actually competitive with a Z6 I could see myself moving over to a more open/dev-friendly system.

Please do. We need to embrace that philosophy more since Android should follow the Linux way.

Double-tap the hard home button to open the camera. I mean, they could split it off to its own button but frankly it operates the same.

Can't take pictures with the home button.

diaspora

Please do. We need to embrace that philosophy more since Android should from the Linux way.

Ball is in Sony's court. Their Android development portal is amazing but they need to give me something to work with here. The Z5 was a great step forward but I need more confidence in the integrity of their glass.

Jigolo

Double-tap the hard home button to open the camera. I mean, they could split it off to its own button but frankly it operates the same.

My Nexus 5 has this "feature" too then. Thought you were referring to a shutter button

And btw, the G4, V10, and S6 have a better camera than the Z5

diaspora

My Nexus 5 has this "feature" too then. Thought you were referring to a shutter button

And btw, the G4, V10, and S6 have a better camera than the Z5

The tap power to launch that came out 3 months ago?

edit: None of those phones have better sensors than the Z5.

Jigolo

The tap power to launch that came out 3 months ago?

edit: None of those phones have better sensors than the Z5.

The Z5 has a better sensor but Sony's mobile division has no idea how to use it.

Yep. Double tap my power button on my N5 brings me to the camera

diaspora

The Z5 has a better sensor but Sony's mobile division has no idea how to use it.

Yep. Double tap my power button on my N5 brings me to the camera

Sure but that doesn't really address my second point which is the camera itself. I went from a 5S and N5 to the S6 and it was a damn revelation. Being able to use hardware buttons to open the camera and having a camera worth using are why only Sony and Samsung are worth considering for me right now.

Jigolo

Sure but that doesn't really address my second point which is the camera itself. I went from a 5S and N5 to the S6 and it was a damn revelation. Being able to use hardware buttons to open the camera and having a camera worth using are why only Sony and Samsung are worth considering for me right now.

I never said the quality of the camera was good. My points were completely valid to what we were discussing which was hardware buttons opening the camera.

Does it make a difference that once the camera app is activated, you can use the volume buttons to take a picture? Or are you referring to a "all in one" singular camera button?
At this point I have no idea what the hell we're going on about anymore. The features that gaffer claims are only available on Samsung and Sony are available on other devices as well.

diaspora

I never said the quality of the camera was good. My points were completely valid to what we were discussing which was hardware buttons opening the camera.

My biggest thing right now is in camera quality and hardware camera buttons. AFAIK in Android-land the only two doing this are Samsung and Sony, so if the latter is actually competitive with a Z6 I could see myself moving over to a more open/dev-friendly system.

One without the other wouldn't fulfill what I'm talking about. Hence, Sony and Samsung.

Can't take pictures with the home button.

Volume rocker.

reKon

Banned
I never doubted the specs would be good on these phones. It's everything else that's the problem. Also the G5 is too big, even if it ran stock I couldn't have it.

S7 is good though. I held one at work and it's smaller in the hand by just a teency bit than my S6. Touchwiz is still a thing though and you won't get android N for god knows how long but the specs are nice if that's your thing. No type c is def baffling .

What feature would Android N have for that update to matter though...? Phone wise I'm talking. Android M addresses the issue of poor stand by times, finger scanning support, and app data back up. I think the multi window feature is more applicable to tablets and Samsung has been including that on their larger phones anyways.

Anyways, looks like I'm going with the S7. The did right with making it a tiny bit compact. The more narrow body will definitely help.

thuway

Most people don't know this but the LG V10 is like S Tier of Audio Quality for headphones. It can power the most demanding cans AND competes with MP3 players in the thousands. I'm curious how the G5 is doing...

What feature would Android N have for that update to matter though...? Phone wise I'm talking. Android M addresses the issue of poor stand by times, finger scanning support, and app data back up. I think the multi window feature is more applicable to tablets and Samsung has been including that on their larger phones anyways.

Anyways, looks like I'm going with the S7. The did right with making it a tiny bit compact. The more narrow body will definitely help.
I don't know what N will bring but I'm still running 5.1.1 on ym S6 and it runs like absolute garbage. Battery drainage is rampant on random days. Touchwiz has some abnormally aggressive memory management.

Also for some reason on the S6 and probably the S7 any time you use an app that uses location the battery usage is aggressive as hell, more than any other android phone I've owned and I've owned many. Then there's other various glitches....one that's pissing me off endlessly right now is how shitty samsung's software works with Android Auto.

Samsung doesn't even adhere to the monthly security updates at least I haven't gotten any in a long while. It's one of those things, yes the specs are great but you really need to know what you're getting into. If you're fine with it then enjoy.

edit: absolute garbage is obviously a hyperbole but there's definitely enough annoyances that you'll notice if you're a savvy user or a heavy user.

Groof

Most people don't know this but the LG V10 is like S Tier of Audio Quality for headphones. It can power the most demanding cans AND competes with MP3 players in the thousands. I'm curious how the G5 is doing...

I can see it being internally pretty standard because of the bang olufsen DAC add-on

thuway

I can see it being internally pretty standard because of the bang olufsen DAC add-on

This is what worries me. The ESS Saber chip in the LG V10 was so cutting edge it literally made certain DAP (digital audio players like Astel Kern, Sony's 1000 dollar walkman, and the Fiio X5-7) automatically worthless.

For them to go with a "Hi-fi" Module worries me, but all this means is the LG V10 is going to drop in price and I'll pick mine up.

Damn, the S7/S7 Edge seem kind of expensive. I always thought the S6 launched around the $550/$600 price line. Where as the two phones appear to be priced at $700/$800

kharma45

This is what worries me. The ESS Saber chip in the LG V10 was so cutting edge it literally made certain DAP (digital audio players like Astel Kern, Sony's 1000 dollar walkman, and the Fiio X5-7) automatically worthless.

For them to go with a "Hi-fi" Module worries me, but all this means is the LG V10 is going to drop in price and I'll pick mine up.

The G5's on board DAC is a 24 bit one but I know no more about it than that.

reKon

Banned
I don't know what N will bring but I'm still running 5.1.1 on ym S6 and it runs like absolute garbage. Battery drainage is rampant on random days. Touchwiz has some abnormally aggressive memory management.

Also for some reason on the S6 and probably the S7 any time you use an app that uses location the battery usage is aggressive as hell, more than any other android phone I've owned and I've owned many. Then there's other various glitches....one that's pissing me off endlessly right now is how shitty samsung's software works with Android Auto.

Samsung doesn't even adhere to the monthly security updates at least I haven't gotten any in a long while. It's one of those things, yes the specs are great but you really need to know what you're getting into. If you're fine with it then enjoy.

One of the reasons I'm open to picking up the S7 is that my experience with TouchWiz on the Tab S2 has been great. I did notice some app reloading, but it wasn't to the point where it pissed me off. The thing that impressed me the most is the speed and the fact that it doesn't lag for me. Maybe it's because of the apps I generally use and because I've disabled the Samsung's homescreen, but I have no performance complaints. I've also loaded up a game like Kingdom Rush after being away for like 6 hours

Hopefully it's an issue they handle better with the S7.

Furyous

Damn, the S7/S7 Edge seem kind of expensive. I always thought the S6 launched around the $550/$600 price line. Where as the two phones appear to be priced at $700/$800

If the S6 is any indication, they'll chop off $300 on the MSRP by adding incentives that take it down to $400 off contract. This is their tool against the iphone.

--

Does the G5 or S7 have pressure sensitive screens?

I'd like to know before I invest in one of these devices.

G5 is looking good by screwing buying addons unless the add-on consists of a 5000 mah battery.

The S7 is more of the same but has literally every feature I'd want besides an IR blaster. Looking at the international variant with 64 GB of storage as I wait for the 256 GB microsd to drop in price.

If the S6 is any indication, they'll chop off $300 on the MSRP by adding incentives that take it down to $400 off contract. This is their tool against the iphone.

--

Does the G5 or S7 have pressure sensitive screens?

I'd like to know before I invest in one of these devices.

G5 is looking good by screwing buying addons unless the add-on consists of a 5000 mah battery.

The S7 is more of the same but has literally every feature I'd want besides an IR blaster. Looking at the international variant with 64 GB of storage as I wait for the 256 GB microsd to drop in price.
I don't think either of them have pressure displays, I guess both LG and Samsung figured it wasn't worth pursuing until Google bakes that kind of utilization into Android.

One of the reasons I'm open to picking up the S7 is that my experience with TouchWiz on the Tab S2 has been great. I did notice some app reloading, but it wasn't to the point where it pissed me off. The thing that impressed me the most is the speed and the fact that it doesn't lag for me. Maybe it's because of the apps I generally use and because I've disabled the Samsung's homescreen, but I have no performance complaints. I've also loaded up a game like Kingdom Rush after being away for like 6 hours

Hopefully it's an issue they handle better with the S7.
I wish you the best of luck then. Honestly the worst part of the S6 is the battery life so if that's greatly improved then it should be a good enough phone even with the annoyances depending on your annoyance toleration level.

I don't think either of them have pressure displays, I guess both LG and Samsung figured it wasn't worth pursuing until Google bakes that kind of utilization into Android.
maybe google told them not to do it behind the scenes!

I wish you the best of luck then. Honestly the worst part of the S6 is the battery life so if that's greatly improved then it should be a good enough phone even with the annoyances depending on your annoyance toleration level.

One day I would actually like the Touchwiz Haters Force to actually produce a list of reasons why they hate it beyond "it's not stock". Please have actually used Touchwiz within the last 2 years, if you used a Galaxy S2 running Gingerbread or something don't waste your time or mine.

HTC Vive is going to cost $799 at launch LMAO, who do they think they are kidding. Suddenly the Oculus Rift price is looking reasonable and the PSVR price is looking like an amazing steal for a new tech.

RIP HTC, have a nice death

clav

One without the other wouldn't fulfill what I'm talking about. Hence, Sony and Samsung.

Volume rocker.

one of the volume keys on my note 5 (and I assume the same for the s6) act as the shutter button.
is this not known?

Can you half press on a volume rocker like an point and shoot camera?

edit: I remember when I played around with a Lumia 520 that users can half press and full press the dedicated camera key despite having a terrible camera.

One day I would actually like the Touchwiz Haters Force to actually produce a list of reasons why they hate it beyond "it's not stock". Please have actually used Touchwiz within the last 2 years, if you used a Galaxy S2 running Gingerbread or something don't waste your time or mine.

You seem to have lost your way.

- Bugs on top of Androids bugs.
- Force closing apps instead of using RAM
- Ruining user experience by confusing users with duplicate apps and operating system features.
- Selling it's users to the highest bidder like US carriers do. (Even if you buy an unlocked phone from Samsung you still get preloaded bullshit apps that they got money to install for you)
- Slow as piss software updates due to all the heavy customization

Samsung pulling this crap is some of the reason why Apple controls the market in the US. Its bad enough that carriers shit on Android but Samsung is doing the same thing. People got sick of dealing and went straight to Apple instead of trying other Androids.

reKon

Banned
You seem to have lost your way.

- Bugs on top of Androids bugs.
- Force closing apps instead of using RAM
- Ruining user experience by confusing users with duplicate apps and operating system features.
- Selling it's users to the highest bidder like US carriers do. (Even if you buy an unlocked phone from Samsung you still get preloaded bullshit apps that they got money to install for you)
- Slow as piss software updates due to all the heavy customization

Samsung pulling this crap is some of the reason why Apple controls the market in the US. Its bad enough that carriers shit on Android but Samsung is doing the same thing. People got sick of dealing and went straight to Apple instead of trying other Androids.

what bugs are you specifically noticing on TouchWiz?

I haven't noticed too much on my Tab S2.

If I end up having an experience as you guys suggest, I will always have the option to sell the phone down the road and just try to import the Z6 Compact (depending on if there will be no issue with band 12).

what bugs are you specifically noticing on TouchWiz?

I haven't noticed too much on my Tab S2.

If I end up having an experience as you guys suggest, I will always have the option to sell the phone down the road and just try to import the Z6 Compact (depending on if there will be no issue with band 12).

Touch screen responsiveness and standby drainage bugs have been hurting some s6 since launch

reKon

Banned
Touch screen responsiveness and standby drainage bugs have been hurting some s6 since launch

Yep, I have not have had any of these issues on my Tab S2. I know this can vary device to device, but personally, if I had this issue, I would return the device and get a replacement due to the unlikeness of that happening again. I know general consumers would throw a fit and just get an iPhone, but I'm more reasonable of a person to understand that any device can hardware issues due to a flawed design... and the occurrences of it just depend on the manufacturer and quality control.

In terms of stand by, I really hope I don't have to deal with this issue, but one rule of thumb for me is I generally stay consistent on the google apps I decide to sync. I also don't use the facebook app and I ALWAYS factory reset after any update has been installed. Doing this has pretty much ensured that I don't have any major drainage usage on my Android devices.

I can definitely attest to battery being worse on 5.1 compared to 5.0.2 for my Xperia Z3 Compact. It wasn't drastically worse, but I think that Google services may have fucked up somewhere.

I've already explained it. Memory management isn't good. I have random battery drainage from random things much more often than other Android phones I've owned. Location uses way too much battery when any other device I've ever owned it wasn't the case. Android Auto is super glitchy on the S6 and the only possibility is that something on touchwiz is fucking with it when in use. Samsung takes forever to update android presumably because touchwiz. Can't think of any other reason. I can go on and on and on.

There's just more issues on a samsung phone then I've ever experienced compared to the other nexus devices/moto that I own. Can't be a coincidence. If you're not sensitive to it or it doesn't bother you then power to you.

I've already explained it. Memory management isn't good. I have random battery drainage from random things much more often than other Android phones I've owned. Location uses way too much battery when any other device I've ever owned it wasn't the case. Android Auto is super glitchy on the S6 and the only possibility is that something on touchwiz is fucking with it when in use. Samsung takes forever to update android presumably because touchwiz. Can't think of any other reason. I can go on and on and on.

There's just more issues on a samsung phone then I've ever experienced compared to the other nexus devices/moto that I own. Can't be a coincidence. If you're not sensitive to it or it doesn't bother you then power to you.

Touchwiz deals with RAM management?

That's a fundamental OS issue - unless of course you are saying Touchwiz uses too much RAM. I don't really have any love for Touchwiz when I had a Galaxy S it was awful - but it seems that no one has forgiven it since then does not look any worse than the average skin manufacturers use - bar moto, Sony & HTC.

coopolon

I was worried MWC would make me regret my week old Nexus 6p but I'm good. While the processors and RAM will be nice I'm sure, I'm far from a power user. With 64gb I don't mind the absence of the microSD card. The one thing I definitely am jealous of is the swappable batteries though!

But I'll take stock and project fi over slightly better processor and swappable battery.

Yep, I have not have had any of these issues on my Tab S2. I know this can vary device to device, but personally, if I had this issue, I would return the device and get a replacement due to the unlikeness of that happening again.

Glad it's not an issue with the S2. My coworker had touch issues on two different Verizon S6. He was coming from a Moto X 2014 and I specifically said to not get the S6 bc he would have similar or worse battery, weird bugs, and just a more confusing experience compared to stock Android.

Sure enough he was complaining to me that he hated the phone. I am much more confident in the s7 though.

I just saw unknown soldiers post and was like what?

Touchwiz deals with RAM management?

That's a fundamental OS issue - unless of course you are saying Touchwiz uses too much RAM. I don't really have any love for Touchwiz when I had a Galaxy S it was awful - but it seems that no one has forgiven it since then does not look any worse than the average skin manufacturers use - bar moto, Sony & HTC.

You're wrong. Touchwiz is doing its own RAM management. I think it was intentional due to how bad the standby battery drain was with touchwiz this year but no one can say for sure.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...nd-tasks-decreasing-multitasking-performance/

Galaxy S7 is a pretty good deal if you do T-Mobile's Jump on Demand program. It will probably be around $20-$30 a month and you get free gear vr and year of netflix. Then you could switch to an Iphone 7 or Note 6 later on if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom