• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umibozu

Can you half press on a volume rocker like an point and shoot camera?

edit: I remember when I played around with a Lumia 520 that users can half press and full press the dedicated camera key despite having a terrible camera.
Just tried and it doesn't seem like you can half press.
If you hold down one of the volume buttons it does let you take burst shots.

Would've liked a separate button for photo functionality (even considered a z5 or lumia back when I was looking) but it seems manufacturers in general are moving away from that.

No Love

Banned
I was worried MWC would make me regret my week old Nexus 6p but I'm good. While the processors and RAM will be nice I'm sure, I'm far from a power user. With 64gb I don't mind the absence of the microSD card. The one thing I definitely am jealous of is the swappable batteries though!

But I'll take stock and project fi over slightly better processor and swappable battery.

Pretty sure the SD820 is going to smash the shit out of the 810's performance AND battery life.

coopolon

Pretty sure the SD820 is going to smash the shit out of the 810's performance AND battery life.

Probably right, I've actually not been very impressed with the 6ps battery. I really don't think the speed would matter much to me personally. Still happy with my purchase! Although until the return window expires I will probably be constantly second guessing!

Noema

I'm impressed by the G5. The way they implemented the removable battery is both great design and clever engineering. And it's packed with features. The dual rear camera sounds great, merging images from the normal and wide angle lenses. It checks the same boxes every other 2016 flagship will check (820, 4GB of RAM, fingerprint scanner), but it does so in a very cohesive, stylish way.

Only thing that seems gimmicky to me is the always on display. LG claims "only 0.8% drain per hour". Doesn't sound like much but it amounts to 20% drain over 24 hours. And it's not like Android's idle drain is all that great to begin with. I'm sure the feature can be disabled, so no biggie.

I'd buy neither the G5 or the S7 since I'm a cheapskate stock Android zealot, but if I had to pick I'd get the G5 in a heartbeat.

Looks like the even the S7, with the liquid cooling, gets very hot:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10075/early-exynos-8890-impressions

One observation I made today which was particularly concerning, was that both with the Snapdragon 820 LG G5 as well as the Exynos 8890 Galaxy S7 got considerably warm after running some heavy workloads. The fact that the Galaxy S7 touts having a heat-pipe thermal dissipation system is a quite worrying characteristic of the phone and should in no way be seen as a positive feature as it points to high power draw figures on the part of the SoC.

Otherwise, and as expected, the new Exynos and the SD820 are quite the upgrade to the 810.

That Adreno GPU is a monster. Handily beats the Iphone 6s plus.

Any time they have to go out of their way to mention what kind of cooling it has, that's all the red flags you need. They're trying to get out in front of it.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Sold my iPhone 6 yesterday morning, replaced with an OPPO R7s and hot damn is it just perfect. So nice to be back on a customisable OS, and to boot a bloody good phone that is ridiculously powerful for its cheap price point.

Still getting use to ColorOS and the larger screen but so far it's just awesome.

Hopefully it's just being used intensively by the press and not an indication that it has a serious thermal problem and the SoC consumes too much power.

Toki767

They're probably running a ton of benchmark tests and games to get the phones to get that hot. Every time reports come in that a phone gets super hot I never usually notice aside from when I'm playing games.

clav

Note that SoCs are designed to withstand hot temperatures.

How many of you know how hot your router runs? For those of you who are unfamiliar, your router's temperature readings will surprise you.

Just tried and it doesn't seem like you can half press.
If you hold down one of the volume buttons it does let you take burst shots.

Would've liked a separate button for photo functionality (even considered a z5 or lumia back when I was looking) but it seems manufacturers in general are moving away from that.

Thanks for the follow up.

Jigolo

Fuck the 810. Literally made people realize devices get a bit warm after being used when that shit has been around FOREVER. Users now will claim the device is running hot even though it's probably due to how long they've been holding the device.

I wish someone in the near future goes back and pushes the old QC scorpion processors extensively and notes the temperature. I'm willing to bet right now the temperature won't be drastically different from the 800, 801, 808. The old samsung hummingbirds and the old iphone chips. It would make for a hell of a cool youtube video. Otherwise the fear of this heat will consume the mass Android internet idiots.

clav

Fuck the 810. Literally made people realize devices get a bit warm after being used when that shit has been around FOREVER. Users now will claim the device is running hot even though it's probably due to how long they've been holding the device.

I wish someone in the near future goes back and pushes the old QC scorpion processors extensively and notes the temperature. I'm willing to bet right now the temperature won't be drastically different from the 800, 801, 808. Otherwise the fear of this heat will consume the mass Android internet idiots.
My Galaxy S3 gets hot after running games + watching videos.

Every device gets hot. I think the worry is when smoke starts fuming from the device, but that should be all protected under the UL listing + FCC certifications.

Ixian

Going in on the S7 Edge, but going to hold on to my Nexus 6P in case it ends up not working out. I think the Nexus 6P is a great phone (particularly if you're married to wanting a stock experience), but after a few months of usage I haven't been very happy with the photo taking experience on the 6P in comparison to my old S6, and it looks like the gap is only going to get wider with the S7. Actual photos from the 6P are fine, but the Google Camera app just doesn't compare to Samsung's for me.

That, plus Samsung Pay, and the fact that the Edge display actually looks like it'll actually have some useful features have me sold. I'll probably jump to the Note 6 when that comes out since I'd like a stylus and the slightly bigger screen. The G5 looks cool too, but the screen size and no Samsung Pay (obviously) are a deal breaker.

Condom

I'm not too impressed with the S7, the G5 looks very interesting though.

The thing is that I'm happy with my 5 month old midrange Xperia C4 and see really no reason to upgrade, especially with the prices of modern flagships.

Ixian

And also supports Chase, which Android Pay currently does not (supposedly coming sometime early this year though). But yeah, the support for MST is a biggie. None of the stores I regularly shop at actually support either Android Pay or Apple Pay, and it feels like it's going to be a while yet before they do.

Obviously devices get warm but when a reputable site is saying its worrisome that is not a great first sign.

Warm phone = throttled phone. The question is if its acceptable throttling or unacceptable throttling. 2015 did not have a lot of acceptable throttling,..

Talon

Obviously devices get warm but when a reputable site is saying its worrisome that is not a great first sign.

Warm phone = throttled phone. The question is if its acceptable throttling or unacceptable throttling. 2015 did not have a lot of acceptable throttling,..
I'm trying to remember, was it the HTC One M8 that was the super overheating phone? Or was it the M9?

I'm trying to remember, was it the HTC One M8 that was the super overheating phone? Or was it the M9?

It was the M9 but right at launch they throttled the shit out of it with an update so the overheating went away.

People thought it was qualcomm that "fixed" it with a v2.1 chip but all were wrong and it was a always 2.1. HTC just hadn't throttled it like crazy with software yet.

Edit:

M9.

Version 1 of the 810.

You are mistaken. It was 2.1 all along.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...W8RRFlO6m65C1eHOaiTQ5Q&bvm=bv.114733917,d.cWw

I'll admit I didn't read much about it.

Why did the HTC run the hottest then? Is 2.1 just a labeling in patches?

HTC was first out of the gate since the S6 didn't use the 810 and HTC didn't have the experience in calming the 810 down yet. The LG G Flex 2 may have been out already but they were the only ones and that phone didn't gain a lot of traction. The Qualcomm 2.1 version has nothing to do with it. The overheating was stopped from a regular old android software update.

I am sure HTC panicked and got the OTA out as soon as they saw the media backlash about the overheating.

clav

HTC was first out of the gate since the S6 didn't use the 810 and HTC didn't have the experience in calming the 810 down yet. The Qualcomm 2.1 version has nothing to do with it. The overheating was stopped from a regular old android software update.

I am sure HTC panicked and got the OTA out as soon as they saw the media backlash about the overheating.

Sounds like an updated Linux kernel that fixed it.

Hm. Maybe I should have upgraded to one then, but eh, probably the camera would have bothered me.

I bet Samsung is looking into some tech that'll handle EMV as well.

It's called NFC.

Sounds like an updated Linux kernel that fixed it.

Hm. Maybe I should have upgraded to one then, but eh, probably the camera would have bothered me.

I should have been more specific. It wasnt an google provided android update. It was htc just adding some extra throttling in their version of Android.

Yeah but it may have ruined performance, I cant remember. Yep the camera sucked as did the battery life if I remember right.

clav

ATMs use EMV but not NFC.

Probably will be updated soon at your local major bank.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/28/apple-pay-atm/

I should have been more specific. It wasnt an google provided android update. It was htc just adding some extra throttling in their version of Android.

Yeah but it may have ruined performance, I cant remember. Yep the camera sucked as did the battery life if I remember right.

Kernels don't have to be directly from Google as they are usually forked for specific manufacturers.

coopolon

Does Android chrome no longer support gestures? On chrome on nexus6p no gestures seem to do anything, can't swipe forward or backward, etc. Is there a setting somewhere to turn them on?

Does Android chrome no longer support gestures? On chrome on nexus6p no gestures seem to do anything, can't swipe forward or backward, etc. Is there a setting somewhere to turn them on?
Go to settings and see if 'Merge tabs and apps' is on. Turn it off if it is.

This may fix your problem.

I think I am going to create an Android TV thread unless anyone else wants to? There's a decent amount of Shield TV and Sony Bravia owners around with no where to discuss.

Am I good just putting it in community?

I think I am going to create an Android TV thread unless anyone else wants to? There's a decent amount of Shield TV and Sony Bravia owners around with no where to discuss.

Am I good just putting it in community?

If you've search for one and found nothing I don't see why not. If there is actually a problem it'll be quietly shuffled away by a mod :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom