• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopolon

Go to settings and see if 'Merge tabs and apps' is on. Turn it off if it is.

This may fix your problem.

This was not what I was looking for but it is a huge help, thank you, I hated having the tabs mixed with apps.

I guess I am not remembering correctly, has chrome never supported gestures? I can pull down to see all open tabs but no pull left or right.

reKon

Banned
This was not what I was looking for but it is a huge help, thank you, I hated having the tabs mixed with apps.

I guess I am not remembering correctly, has chrome never supported gestures? I can pull down to see all open tabs but no pull left or right.

I think chrome on my tablet supported swiping to the left and right gestures, to switch tabs, on the address bar.

No problem!

And you can only swipe left/right on the bar at the top. Earlier versions of chrome mobile let you do it from nearly the whole left/right edge of the screen.

clav

hmm didn't S6/S6 Edge in the US use Exynos though?

Yes. That was a one time thing. Samsung paid extra to stuff a Qualcomm modem for CDMA markets.

Usually the modem + CPU/GPU SoC are a package, but I guess Samsung didn't want to alienate that customer base. You could look at the Qualcomm combo as a cost cutting move for CDMA handsets.

I prefer Qualcomm since they are more open to software development. I don't think there are any true custom ROMs with Exynos.

Think if I remember vaguely, Samsung pulled moves to become Qualcomm's manufacturer for the 820, so it all works to Samsung's advantage in the end.

edit: Took a peek at custom ROMs for S6. Nothing is really working. Users have to depend on Samsung for the latest updates.

I understand that but I was wondering what's the reasoning behind using different CPUs for different markets for the same phone model

it's less expensive to go with the full Qualcomm package than just their modem and your own SoC.

the 810 was literally so bad that Samsung decided to pay more and use their own Exynos SOC with the Qualcomm modem in the CDMA GS6 variants.

it's less expensive to go with the full Qualcomm package than just their modem and your own SoC.

the 810 was literally so bad that Samsung decided to pay more and use their own Exynos SOC with the Qualcomm modem in the CDMA GS6 variants.

I would like to see Samsung go back to Exynos worldwide just so we can get Wolfson audio hubs in North American Galaxy S and Note instead of the one built into Snapdragon.

Now that LG is putting expensive 24-bit audio hubs in their phones, I would like to see Samsung step it up as well in phone audio. The days of separate PMPs are long past and it's time for the phone manufacturers to offer true PMP audio quality on smartphones.

Nikodemos

The Z6 announcement is later today, right? Hoping they finally bring an Ultra to the west again...
But what is the Z6 going to offer? The X Performance already comes with a Snapdragon 820. 6-inch display? 2k resolution? 30-mp camera? 64 GB storage? 4 GB RAM? All of these?

catmincer

But what is the Z6 going to offer? The X Performance already comes with a Snapdragon 820. 6-inch display? 2k resolution? 30-mp camera? 64 GB storage? 4 GB RAM? All of these?

I wouldn't be too surprised if there's no z6 and they use this as their flagship. Maybe we'll get an XL or something later on.

Nikodemos

I wouldn't be too surprised if there's no z6 and they use this as their flagship. Maybe we'll get an XL or something later on.
This might actually happen. Announce the new Z-whatever as a tablet.

Though lack of waterproofing on their lower models is a shitty move, given that right now their entire lineup (M5, Z5/Compact/Ultra) is waterproof. Also, the XA has a crappier SoC compared to the M5.

Hasney

Gw0Px.gif

Hopefully they replace the compact line with the X stuff. It may actually be what I said they should do in the first place instead of 2 flagships in a year. One compact line release and one flagship at another point.

I'm just going by what sites are saying expecting a Z6 announcement today, although this may be in its place.

So ... Samsung and LG announce pretty good phones, nice tech, good sizes, long lost features back and with the G5 an interesting gimick.

Rumored hardware partner for this years Nexus-phones .... HTC.

Well, crap.

I don't know if i want to trade skin-less Android and OS updates on time for (seemingly) good phones.
Not sure if HTC is up to the task of making a good piece of hardware again ... also, it looks like they are putting more focus on the Vive stuff.

:(

So ... Samsung and LG announce pretty good phones, nice tech, good sizes, long lost features back and with the G5 an interesting gimick.

Rumored hardware partner for this years Nexus-phones .... HTC.

Well, crap.

I don't know if i want to trade skin-less Android and OS updates on time for (seemingly) good phones.
Not sure if HTC is up to the task of making a good piece of hardware again ... also, it looks like they are putting more focus on the Vive stuff.

:(
google is the one that designs the nexus phones

reKon

Banned
This is fucked up Sony. You can't just throw this phone at me when I had my mind set on the Galaxy S7.

Potentially the perfect sized phone for me with a metal back this time and still including flagship specs? Where the fuck was this last year???

tzare

those xperia X phones seem nice, but battery sizes are a bit .... small. ANd if they release this summer that is too late.
Samsung seems on the right way and probably the better phone out there , good battery, waterproof, and top specs and fas memory (would like to know if memory on Lg G5 and those xperias is the fastest available.)

However if what interests me the most is SD650 performance vs SD820 or equivalent exynos. Can't wait for first reviews.
ALso BQ announced a new aquaris X5 with fingerprint scanner and 650 for 299 and good battery size too (3000mAh). Good times for midrangers.

Kuros

those xperia X phones seem nice, but battery sizes are a bit .... small. ANd if they release this summer that is too late.
Samsung seems on the right way and probably the better phone out there , good battery, waterproof, and top specs and fas memory (would like to know if memory on Lg G5 and those xperias is the fastest available.)

However if what interests me the most is SD650 performance vs SD820 or equivalent exynos. Can't wait for first reviews.
ALso BQ announced a new aquaris X5 with fingerprint scanner and 650 for 299 and good battery size too (3000mAh). Good times for midrangers.

Sony are very good on battery life in comparison to other OEM's with similar sized batteries. I don't think there'll be too much of a problem.

tzare

Sony are very good on battery life in comparison to other OEM's with similar sized batteries. I don't think there'll be too much of a problem.

used to be. Latest devices haven't been as good as z2/z3 times. I have an M4 aqua , 615 soc and 2440 mAh battery as spare phone and lasts way less than my wife's 2 year old s4 that uses an SD800 and 2600mAh for example. With stamina mode enabled.

Mindwipe

Nah, this isn't a top end flagship.

But I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only movement on that today and the Z6/Z6C isn't announced until IFA in September.

google is the one that designs the nexus phones
They do? So the hardware partners are just for manufacturing the devices? Or do you mean that Google is taking over the device design from this year on?

Man, i just want a good specced device that lasts 2 years without getting behind too much, with fast OS updates and a skinless OS ... i just hope that Google delivers this year.

Both with hardware/software and (a little bit more importantly) with pricing. I'm fine paying between 400 - 500€, if i'm not getting ripped off compared to the states. ^^

Mindwipe

They do? So the hardware partners are just for manufacturing the devices? Or do you mean that Google is taking over the device design from this year on?

The hardware partners just manufacture the device generally, with the exception of the Nexus 6 which was a panicked fuckup.

But they inevitably rely on the engineering teams of the hardware partner to do some parts, and they will stick to what they know (and it's cheaper if they already have the relevant fab facilities), so the hardware partner does kinda influence what the device looks like.

But yeah, it's never a safe assumption that an OEM would provide it's best innovations to Google for a Nexus anyway, nor that they would align to the Google team's desires.

Mindwipe

How long do you guys think Google will have videos playing in the background locked behind YouTube Red?

Forever. It's a mandatory requirement from the music labels.

You get background playback or the ability to play things on demand on a free content tier. Never both, so pick one.

Quite a while? I get the feeling some of it is due to pressure from record labels since it was tied to Play Music before that anyway.
It still is; I got YouTube Red when I subscribed to Play Music. I had completely forgotten about Red before that.

You get background playback or the ability to play things on demand on a free content tier. Never both, so pick one.
Interesting.

Groof

Music labels have really weird requirements in general. See how Spotify's free tier on mobile works in contrast to desktop

kami_sama

Well, there are some apps that let you do that. Can't remember their names, though.

this_guy

If there were ever a perfect Android OEM to represent the Sonic cycle it'd be Sony.

No, I think the majority of Android Gaf has given up on Sony and don't get excited by their offerings. There's always a few stragglers that do get excited but not enough to make a difference.

Wreav

Banned
Now that we've had a day to ruminate, which phone is looking more exciting between the G5 and S7?

For me, the waterproofing and bigger battery of the S7 Edge are leading. While LG's little add ons are cool, definitely not swaying me since I typically only have a phone for 6-12 months.

this_guy

Now that we've had a day to ruminate, which phone is looking more exciting between the G5 and S7?

For me, the waterproofing and bigger battery of the S7 Edge are leading. While LG's little add ons are cool, definitely not swaying me since I typically only have a phone for 6-12 months.

S7 Edge because of the battery. I liked that LG decreased the screen size to 5.3", but when you look at the dimensions it's about the same as the S7 Edge (S7 Edge is actually slightly more narrow). The normal S7 of course is even better for one handed use (smaller) and still has a noticeable battery size increase over its predecessor.

The thing that would probably annoy me the most about a Samsung phone isn't the slow update process (because I'm fairly happy with Android as it is and don't see Google adding major features that interest me), but the fact that even when they update the phone, TouchWiz remains the same and doesn't get the new features from the next handset.

I gotta say though, the design of the S7 looks so much better than my ugly ass iPhone 6 Plus. I bet it probably feels better in hand too.

Shame that it costs exactly the same as an iPhone 6S (or iPhone 7, later) in Canada. Probably means the S7 is going to be DOA here.

Mindwipe

Music labels have really weird requirements in general. See how Spotify's free tier on mobile works in contrast to desktop

Not that weird. Ad free doesn't sell that many subscriptions, and we already know Spotify's free tier doesn't make money for anyone. It's a loss leader to sell subscriptions, so it's go to be worse.

I was going back and forth, but I may decide to not get either. The Alcatel Idol 4S is looking mighty fine especially if it's under $350.

Toki767

I gotta say though, the design of the S7 looks so much better than my ugly ass iPhone 6 Plus. I bet it probably feels better in hand too.

Shame that it costs exactly the same as an iPhone 6S (or iPhone 7, later) in Canada. Probably means the S7 is going to be DOA here.
People complained about Samsung not using premium materials and now that they do, they complain about price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom