• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

longdi

Banned
These new Xperias look amazing. 820 with a 1080p screen? Hell yes!

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_x_series_is_here__x_performance_xa_and_x-news-16804.php

Xperia X is a perfect sized Z1/Z2 and m7/m8 replacement too. Typical Sony though, not available until June.

Sony continue to disappoint loyal supporter like me...what is the point of this X line and only in summer?

What kind of name is X Performance? Smh...and why do you put a SD820 but with small battery, small ram and likely slow ass flash storage. Who is going to buy this half a flagship? Why are you wasting your stocks of SD820 on this? Why do you want to look silly after what LG and Samsung just did

Head of Sony mobile and Sony pictures need to harakiri

Wreav

Banned
People complained about Samsung not using premium materials and now that they do, they complain about price.

Average spending power of your typical Android user at work here. Can afford cheaper plastic phone, buys it, complains that it feels cheap. Nicer phone comes out, user can't afford it, complains about price.

Hasney

Sony continue to disappoint loyal supporter like me...what is the point of this X line and only in summer?

Because having two Z flagships in a year was a mess for anywhere that wasn't Japan. Having a seperate "budget" brand makes much more sense.

Jigolo

Average spending power of your typical Android user at work here. Can afford cheaper plastic phone, buys it, complains that it feels cheap. Nicer phone comes out, user can't afford it, complains about price.
If you live on the internet, sure, this might be true.

zewone

I was going back and forth, but I may decide to not get either. The Alcatel Idol 4S is looking mighty fine especially if it's under $350.

Idol 4S for $350 would be amazing, but it's rumored to be $500.

EDIT: I actually think the 4S looks better than the S7, but the lack of a fingerprint scanner turns me off since i need security on for work.

Given the same price between a Galaxy and an iPhone, people probably take the iPhone 9 times out of 10.

Wreav

Banned
Given the same price between a Galaxy and an iPhone, people probably take the iPhone 9 times out of 10.

That's because Apple doesn't allow 90% the same experience at 1/3rd the price via OEMs. An Android user is right to shy away from a flagship when phones like the Idol exists.

Idol 4S for $350 would be amazing, but it's rumored to be $500.

EDIT: I actually think the 4S looks better than the S7, but the lack of a fingerprint scanner turns me off since i need security on for work.

I actually don't care for a fingerprint scanner since I have a smartwatch with smart lock enabled. I'm hoping it's not $500. $400 maybe, but $350 is sweet spot.

RuGalz

Damn, X Performance checks pretty much everything for me, other than maybe wireless charging and/or fast charge. Only if they can get it out in the US in a timely manner...

Groof

Not that weird. Ad free doesn't sell that many subscriptions, and we already know Spotify's free tier doesn't make money for anyone. It's a loss leader to sell subscriptions, so it's go to be worse.
It's not about that, it's rather how different the two platforms work on the free tier because of music labels. For example the fact that you can only shuffle on mobiles and can play any song you want on desktop is one such requirement. There's a whole bunch of these tiny rules they set specifically for mobile and not other platforms

€699 and €799 for the S7 and S7 Edge seems so crazy. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the price to go down. The included Gear VR with the pre-orders is nice, though.

Mindwipe

It's not about that, it's rather how different the two platforms work on the free tier because of music labels. For example the fact that you can only shuffle on mobiles and can play any song you want on desktop is one such requirement. There's a whole bunch of these tiny rules they set specifically for mobile and not other platforms

For music that's because 90% of use is on mobile, and about the same of revenue.

Desktop it's much harder to enforce these things, and ultimately nobody gives a shit about investing time and money changing that because that wasn't where you making any money anyway.

GtwoK

My god, the Oneplus One is the absolute worst phone I've ever had. I can't even express how utterly pissed off I am at OnePlus right now. The thing is essentially useless after owning it after just over a year.

When I got it last January, it was great, i was really happy with it! Super snappy, great camera for what it was, battery commonly lasted me 2 days without need for charging. It was perfect.

Then they updated it to Lollipop.

God. Fucking jesus, it's unusable. The phone became completely crippled. Doing anything was impossible. I commonly wait upwards of a minute for apps to open, even ones that are already running in the background. Constant freezes. keyboard problems. Random restarts. Slow as all hell, to the point where theres no point in using it. It was even worse for the first few days after updating, where it was unable to make calls or texts - the main functionality of it, as a PHONE, was broken, not working, until they released a patch after a few DAYS. How backwards is that? And here's the thing: the battery went from 48+ hours, to about 9. It just barely made it through the workday.

I vowed to never update it again, lest the break it even more.

Well, I updated it by accident last night, and it's broken even more.

I get 5 hours of battery life. Unplugged my phone, fully charged, at 8:30 this morning. Its now 1:15, and I just got the 15% battery notification.

v43ipLF.png

This is fucking ridiculous. I can't afford a new phone right now. Anyone else experiencing this? What did you do?

GtwoK

Factory reset.

Ugh. I'm really careful about preserving data (never deleting texts, keeping all my music downloaded, etc), so I try to avoid wiping my phone at all costs. Even the text message backup apps will not backup some texts, and dont backup MMS. Is there any android equivalent of what iPhone backups are? Those were the one thing I liked about iPhones.

Delete Facebook app.

That's some sort of anomaly. Facebook has never used that much battery before, only since updating last night. Even so, that wouldn't account for all of the battery issues.

Toki767

Ugh. I'm really careful about preserving data (never deleting texts, keeping all my music downloaded, etc), so I try to avoid wiping my phone at all costs. Even the text message backup apps will not backup some texts, and dont backup MMS. Is there any android equivalent of what iPhone backups are? Those were the one thing I liked about iPhones.

That's some sort of anomaly. Facebook has never used that much battery before, only since updating last night. Even so, that wouldn't account for all of the battery issues.

Facebook app is notorious for being a battery drain. Even if it doesn't show up in that list, it uses way more battery than it has any right to.

My god, the Oneplus One is the absolute worst phone I've ever had. I can't even express how utterly pissed off I am at OnePlus right now. The thing is essentially useless after owning it after just over a year.

When I got it last January, it was great, i was really happy with it! Super snappy, great camera for what it was, battery commonly lasted me 2 days without need for charging. It was perfect.

Then they updated it to Lollipop.

God. Fucking jesus, it's unusable. The phone became completely crippled. Doing anything was impossible. I commonly wait upwards of a minute for apps to open, even ones that are already running in the background. Constant freezes. keyboard problems. Random restarts. Slow as all hell, to the point where theres no point in using it. It was even worse for the first few days after updating, where it was unable to make calls or texts - the main functionality of it, as a PHONE, was broken, not working, until they released a patch after a few DAYS. How backwards is that? And here's the thing: the battery went from 48+ hours, to about 9. It just barely made it through the workday.

I vowed to never update it again, lest the break it even more.

Well, I updated it by accident last night, and it's broken even more.

I get 5 hours of battery life. Unplugged my phone, fully charged, at 8:30 this morning. Its now 1:15, and I just got the 15% battery notification.

This is fucking ridiculous. I can't afford a new phone right now. Anyone else experiencing this? What did you do?

Root it and install cm13 nightlies. Rock solid here now and still running great after owning the phone over 1 1/2 years. SMS backup and restore also backs up mms messages.

It seems like Samsung didn't have any S7s on the show floor with the 820 in it? From all the benchmarks I've seen it's been the exynos version.

RuGalz

My wife's OPO battery crapped out after about a year. She would get 4-5 hrs at most. After replacing the battery myself it's as good as new again. Could be the same issue for you if FB is just a fluke.

€699 and €799 for the S7 and S7 Edge seems so crazy. It will be interesting to see how long it takes for the price to go down. The included Gear VR with the pre-orders is nice, though.

It will be half the price in a few months. They are just trying to reel in a few high priced sales before the iP7 drops.

Yeah, but it just makes that quote yesterday for the phone getting hot kind of moot for NA users. Is exynos using the liquid cooling like the qualcomm version?

Both of them are running hot. Even the Exynos.

Although the 820 they were comparing to was in the G5, so we don't know yet if the liquid cooling is more effective with the 820 S7.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It will be half the price in a few months. They are just trying to reel in a few high priced sales before the iP7 drops.

Pretty much. I fully expect combination tradein/free stuff deals like LG and Verizon did last year. You would get a G4 for $350 not long after launch.

reKon

Banned
People that say you should factory reset are the same that say you should format when your pc is not working as expected.

I'm saying that a factory reset is a must after any upgrades to the version of Android you're running. Even doing dirty flashes when running stock roms and custom roms causes issues sometimes and they are much less bloated and the carrier skins. I can't imagine much shit is waiting to get fucked up when people upgrade their software on carrier skins with all the old app data mixed in.

People that say you should factory reset are the same that say you should format when your pc is not working as expected.

Ignore this post. Factory reset is a cop out but there are very good reasons why it is recommended whether we are talking Windows or Android.

You can tinker with a pc and clean it out for weeks and still not find the issue. Do you want to sit on here and diagnose user's phones for extended time or do you want to tell them to just do a factory reset and get it over with?

reKon

Banned
I even tell people on iOS to do a factory reset after installing new software. I had to do this on my mom's iPad Air 2 after issues with the software from restoring all her app data.

LeleSocho

Banned
S7 camera looks absolutely killer, can't wait for the future :D
Sincerely since camera bumps are already a thing i would like OEMs to put a mega camera in their flagships like the Lumia 1020 but obviously more modern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom