• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wreav

Banned
Samsung is right as usual, why would you install apps on the slow-ass microSD when they have this super fast internal storage?

I thought Android was all about freedom and options.

Have fun with your giant VR experiences that require gigs and gigs of install space, and nowhere to put them.

Damn, new Sandisk microsd cards have a read speed of 275MB/s and writes of 100MB/s.

64GB $150, 128GB $300.

Cheap
/s

Sequential read and write means jack shit when no device out records video above 40 Mb/s anyways. That's megaBITS/s not megaBYTES/s.

If you actually wanted to use microSD as infernal storage expansion and install apps (you poor SOB), you care about random reads and writes and microSD is awful there.

I thought Android was all about freedom and options.

Have fun with your giant VR experiences that require gigs and gigs of install space, and nowhere to put them.

I have an Oculus Rift coming, I couldn't give less of a shit about Gear VR

Sequential read and write means jack shit when no device out records video above 40 Mb/s anyways. That's megaBITS/s not megaBYTES/s.

If you actually wanted to use microSD as infernal storage expansion and install apps (you poor SOB), you care about random reads and writes and microSD is awful there.

Didn't know that the only use case for a microsd in an android phone is to use it as unified storage. Here I was thinking you could also use it to store media. And that it would be nice to be able to transfer media files to and from the card at faster speeds and not have to wait so long for the transfer to complete.

Guess I'm wrong.

P.S.: Wake me up when UFS 2.0 is cheap and OEMs don't charge an arm and a leg for more storage.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Man, I can't believe I'm going to spend $800 on an HTC product. I just feel like it's a bad idea solely because HTC.

Quasar

Well. Must say I like what I'm seeing with the G5 or its expansion capabilities. Reminds me of the modular phone idea motorola/google was playing around with.

reKon

Banned
Truly the median user case!

Suddenly all the Samsung hype about 80% compression of VR videos via pyramid mapping + streaming through FB makes sense.

You do bring up a good point about VR games, but I don't know how the actual experience is because I have not tried it.

32 GB is a sweet spot for me because it's lame to do intensive gaming on a small screen like that. I'm not going to be keeping 8+ 2 GB games on my phone. I'll might have games like Lara Craft Go or something which take up 400mb max.

Most of my memory comes from cached music, videos/photos, which go to the SD card automatically. I win.

Quasar

Man, I can't believe I'm going to spend $800 on an HTC product. I just feel like it's a bad idea solely because HTC.

Well its the most interesting implementation. Still I'm too skittish to spend that kind of money on a 1st gen that I might want/need to upgrade in a couple of years. Plus I need a full pc upgrade too to use it.

yogloo

My god, the Oneplus One is the absolute worst phone I've ever had. I can't even express how utterly pissed off I am at OnePlus right now. The thing is essentially useless after owning it after just over a year.

When I got it last January, it was great, i was really happy with it! Super snappy, great camera for what it was, battery commonly lasted me 2 days without need for charging. It was perfect.

Then they updated it to Lollipop.

God. Fucking jesus, it's unusable. The phone became completely crippled. Doing anything was impossible. I commonly wait upwards of a minute for apps to open, even ones that are already running in the background. Constant freezes. keyboard problems. Random restarts. Slow as all hell, to the point where theres no point in using it. It was even worse for the first few days after updating, where it was unable to make calls or texts - the main functionality of it, as a PHONE, was broken, not working, until they released a patch after a few DAYS. How backwards is that? And here's the thing: the battery went from 48+ hours, to about 9. It just barely made it through the workday.

I vowed to never update it again, lest the break it even more.

Well, I updated it by accident last night, and it's broken even more.

I get 5 hours of battery life. Unplugged my phone, fully charged, at 8:30 this morning. Its now 1:15, and I just got the 15% battery notification.

This is fucking ridiculous. I can't afford a new phone right now. Anyone else experiencing this? What did you do?

Lollipop is shit. Try to update to marshmallow. Battery life will be much better. Closer to or better than kit Kat.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It is but there's a price to pay for being so futuristic
Based futuristic mother fuckers.

Are you sure you want that? After all, it does ship with a 3.5 mm audio jack.
If I have to upgrade the entire unit for just this one change, I'd do it.

Well its the most interesting implementation. Still I'm too skittish to spend that kind of money on a 1st gen that I might want/need to upgrade in a couple of years. Plus I need a full pc upgrade too to use it.
$800 on an HTC product smh. I'm more concerned about support for the hardware. Yeah, I know valve is behind it. But still.

So I'm liking the Note 5 a lot overall, but goddamn are Samsung taking the piss to roll out Marshmallow. I don't understand why they only released it in Cambodia then just sort of... stopped.

Mindwipe

Surface Pro owners get to use the PC versions of those things, it's a win-win

But the primary use cases of a tablet for me are offline watching of Amazon Video or offline reading of downloaded Comixology books, neither of which are supported on Windows. Sadly. Hell CMX had a Windows app and pulled it.

I always liked the Xperia Z series, but I didn't want to put up with the 720p screen of the Compact and the regular was always a bit too expensive.

Mindwipe

The Sony phones have been a complete dud in the west, no one bought the Z series phones. Makes sense. Nobody wanted those phones, if Sony wanted to stay in the mobile phone business they had no choice but to move on. The Z series was a mess.

That's certainly not true in Europe. At all.

Groof

The Sony phones have been a complete dud in the west, no one bought the Z series phones. Makes sense. Nobody wanted those phones, if Sony wanted to stay in the mobile phone business they had no choice but to move on. The Z series was a mess.

have you heard of a place called europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom