• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
As soon as I saw the X line I immediately thought the same lol. The Z phone will come out shortly after and then the cycle begins anew. And only some will release in certain regions months and months after release.

It is the sony way.

Surprised no one made an XFON joke.

thuway

I'm happy to see the Xperia Z line officially die. It underdelivered on nearly every front on every release. I'd get hyped before each release - and than Sony wouldn't release on carriers, have a delayed launch in the US, and would price themselves into oblivion. On top of that, they'd find one huge flaw that would always fuck the end user over: shattering glass, awful camera performance, poor display quality. Goodbye Z - Sony learn to price your phones better and release on a timely fashion without compromise.

Blackhead

Redarse
There were two Gaffers who are financial/mobile industry analysts and used to comment on Sony news. I wonder what they would say about this news...

The funny thing is that there is now a possible path for Sony to make a breakthrough in USA without the carriers. There's always been that 'joke' that Sony is not an electronics company--it's a life insurance financial company. Well now that all the USA carriers have dropped subsidies and offering 'loans' for phone purchases instead, and even Apple is offering an upgrade+apple care payment plan, it should be possible for Sony to offer a similar insurance+ payment program direct to USA consumers too.

Say Sony partners with Amazon for distribution and runs a good aggressive advertising campaign does anyone doubt that they could capture a decent market share? Samsung has caught up in design (and waterproofing?) but Sony is still appealing right?

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The Z series always frustrated me - because the potential was always there, but Sony being Sony never capitalized on it. Not necessarily because of the poor showing in the US, but because of the multitude of ways they'd shoot themselves in the foot. Bad camera software, poor glass, form over function, etc. Hopefully the learned something from this, but I doubt it.

Talon

There were two Gaffers who are financial/mobile industry analysts and used to comment on Sony news. I wonder what they would say about this news...

The funny thing is that there is now a possible path for Sony to make a breakthrough in USA without the carriers. There's always been that 'joke' that Sony is not an electronics company--it's a life insurance financial company. Well now that all the USA carriers have dropped subsidies and offering 'loans' for phone purchases instead, and even Apple is offering an upgrade+apple care payment plan, it should be possible for Sony to offer a similar insurance+ payment program direct to USA consumers too.

Say Sony partners with Amazon for distribution and runs a good aggressive advertising campaign does anyone doubt that they could capture a decent market share? Samsung has caught up in design (and waterproofing?) but Sony is still appealing right?
You're living in the fantasy of a 90s Sony that was good at execution.

longdi

Banned

XP is distinctively an upper mid-ranger. LG and Samsung flagships shit all over Sony's.

I hope this is not real.

I mean how hard is it for Sony to make an omnibalance metallic Z6, 10-bit IPS QHD, 4GB ram, 32GB UFS hi-speed storage, IP68 and a 3200mah battery, with Sony clean UI? Fuck all the gimmicks like modular camera/DAC or edgy screen or e-wallet.

Instead we are asking why the fuck is this XP half-assed phone selling for 700 bucks? Huawei, Xiaomi, Meizu will smash XP to bits. While Samsung LG and Apple will leave Sony in the dust.

Kaz you better wake up your mobile ideas!

Alright, titanium S7 on preorder. Still not happy about this 32gb business.

Yeah, 32GB is the bare minimum of internal storage for me. I have it on my Note 4 and I'm already thinking I need to get at least 64gb in my next phone, so I'm hoping the have the option a little further down the line for the S7/S7 Edge.

Jigolo

Does anyone know if I'm already a Netflix subscriber, will a free year of netflix stack with that? Will my monthly payments be voided for 12 months?

Ixian

Only 32 GB of internal storage on the S7 kind of sucks, but looking at the breakdown of my usage on my current device (64 GB Nexus 6P, using 38.81 GB) it can almost all be safely off-loaded to an SD card anyway. Now I just need to price hunt for a good one...

reKon

Banned
Only 32 GB of internal storage on the S7 kind of sucks, but looking at the breakdown of my usage on my current device (64 GB Nexus 6P, using 38.81 GB) it can almost all be safely off-loaded to an SD card anyway. Now I just need to price hunt for a good one...

You're in luck because good ones are really cheap. There have also been some high speed ones announced recently, but those will be more expensive.

I'm looking for a nice bang for your buck android tablet for web surfing, Twitch, WWE Network, and maybe some gaming. I was thinking of buying a refurbished iPad Air 2 when they announce the Air 3 but it's probably not worth the money for me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

reKon

Banned
I'm looking for a nice bang for your buck android tablet for web surfing, Twitch, WWE Network, and maybe some gaming. I was thinking of buying a refurbished iPad Air 2 when they announce the Air 3 but it's probably not worth the money for me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OTFRYU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012UEUQM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171BS9CG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Out of these three, the Shield has the best performance, best battery life, expandable storage, and two front facing speakers. It's also the most thick/heaviest device. It already has Android Marshmallow and it's the best bang for buck by far.

I own the Galaxy Tab S2. It's the world's lightest/thinnest tablet, includes a fingerprint scanner, and has the best display out of the three. Battery life is decent and the performance is amazing. If you value multiwindow, then go for this one.

Asus Zenpad gives you a lot for the money as well because of the 4 GB of ram for multitasking and it uses USB C. It runs on a solid Intel processor, which is superior for web browsing (relevant to you).

Can't really good wrong with any of these

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B010OTFRYU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012UEUQM0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0171BS9CG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Out of these three, the Shield has the best performance, best battery life, expandable storage, and two front facing speakers. It's also the most thick/heaviest device. It already has Android Marshmallow and it's the best bang for buck by far.

I owned the Galaxy Tab S2. It's the world's lightest tablet, includes a fingerprint scanner, and has the best display out of the three. Battery life is decent and the performance is amazing. If you value multiwindow, then go for this one.

Asus Zenpad gives you a lot for the money as well because of the 4 GB of ram for multitasking and it uses USB C. It runs on a solid Intel processor, which is superior for web browsing (relevant to you).

Can't really good wrong with any of these
Thanks. The nVidia Shield looks perfect for me.

z3phon

Anyone here with smallish hands own a 5.5 inch phone?
Can't make up my mind between the Samsung s7 and edge. Really like the idea of such a big screen but I've never used one so not sure how comfortable it'll be using.

Cb7ZiuDUsAAhMiW.jpg:large

ignore the glare at the bottom of the back skin, you can't even see a gap IRL but the camera angle isn't helping it

love dbrand

Ixian

Can't make up my mind between the Samsung s7 and edge. Really like the idea of such a big screen but I've never used one so not sure how comfortable it'll be using.
FWIW, I have small hands (same size as my girlfriend's, who's five inches shorter than me...) and I currently use a Nexus 6P, which has a 5.7 inch screen and is a bigger phone besides that. It definitely takes some adjustment, but I can't go back to a 5.1 inch screen anymore. I used to be one of those people who never wanted anything bigger than the original iPhone, then I went to a Galaxy S3 (4.7" screen) -> Motorola Droid Turbo (5") -> Sony Xperia Z3 (5.2") -> Galaxy S6 (5.1") and now where I am. Whenever I use my girlfriend's Galaxy S6 it feels so tiny now; even she's upgrading to the Edge this go-around. The S7 Edge is slightly smaller than what I have now and is overall a smaller device so I'm expecting it to be much better to handle.

It's also going to depend on what you do with your phone, though. I'd recommend going to a store and playing around with larger phones, but some of the acceptance just happens over time with normal usage, too.

I have average size hands, but I still could not get used to a phone that size. You pretty much have to use one two-handed to get anything done and it just is not easy carrying one around in my pockets on a day to day basis.

So according to AP's new hands on video, Google is apparently to blame for no adoptable storage on the S7/e and G5, if Samsung is to be believed.

According to Samsung, Google is wanting OEMs to only use adoptable storage on more stationary devices. For mobile devices they only recommend using it if the device has a very small amount of internal storage. I think this is incredibly stupid, if true. It does sound like something Google would do, though.

https://youtu.be/2dl_9D9JL-M

Saiyan-Rox

Man i;d totally love an S7 Edge GPE

Not that we ever got any of those here in the UK anyway but still a green S7 Edge GPE would be so god damn amazing to me anyway

So according to AP's new hands on video, Google is apparently to blame for no adoptable storage on the S7/e and G5, if Samsung is to be believed.

According to Samsung, Google is wanting OEMs to only use adoptable storage on more stationary devices. For mobile devices they only recommend using it if the device has a very small amount of internal storage. I think this is incredibly stupid, if true. It does sound like something Google would do, though.

It will probably be enabled on custom roms anyway.

thuway

If Xiamoi has the ESS Sabre DAC in it, this will be my next phone. It's pretty hard to justify ANY phone at ANY price with something that overpowered. How is Xiaomi about long term support?

would explain why both Samsung and LG did that. especially LG as they also ditched the app drawer and multi-window.

VoxPop

Going to be giving the S7e a shot. I had the S6e for a little bit and was impressed but Touchwiz and mediocre battery life turned me off. This version at least solves one of the problems and hopefully you can get CM running on it somewhere down the line.

Saiyan-Rox

Going to be giving the S7e a shot. I had the S6e for a little bit and was impressed but Touchwiz and mediocre battery life turned me off. This version at least solves one of the problems and hopefully you can get CM running on it somewhere down the line.

Did they get CM running on the S6e?

Saiyan-Rox

Not that I know of, but probably mostly due to the Exynos chip.

If they get it running on the S7 Edge i'll probably really think about picking one up tbh

Even more soi if the Green one appears. but lets face it by the time CM gets stable enough the next Nexus will be starting to get leaked.

would explain why both Samsung and LG did that. especially LG as they also ditched the app drawer and multi-window.
Wait, LG ditched multi-window too? That's....dumb. The best thing about OEM skins are the features stock doesn't offer.

Edit: If they're waiting for Google's implementation of it, it would've made more sense to just keep what they had until then.

If Xiamoi has the ESS Sabre DAC in it, this will be my next phone. It's pretty hard to justify ANY phone at ANY price with something that overpowered. How is Xiaomi about long term support?

Xiaomi has never implemented a audiophile-level in their smartphones. Don't expect them to do this now.

If you're looking for a phone with a serious DAC - albeit not the ESS Sabre - the Zte Axon Pro has the AK4490 and it's on sale on Amazon for a good price.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Never buy phones while relying on ROMs to fix things. I learned that from the OG Note. Things don't run so well.

LeleSocho

Banned
XP is distinctively an upper mid-ranger. LG and Samsung flagships shit all over Sony's.

What? How many people have took crazy pills this week?
You are not the only person that claims that the X Premium is mid-range/upper mid-range, are you people insane? What are the metrics that makes you say that the XP is mid-range?

longdi

Banned
What? How many people have took crazy pills this week?
You are not the only person that claims that the X Premium is mid-range/upper mid-range, are you people insane? What are the metrics that makes you say that the XP is mid-range?

Last gen specs yo.

1080p 5" screen which looks to have no special juices.
2700mah battery.
3gb ram
No ufs2.0 storage
Big bezels small specs
F2.0 camera, no 4k recording

Sony is going backwards since Z3, and now they are further shitting/confusing their lineup. Seems like Sony wants to build cheaper flagship like xiaomi while maintaining their premium prices.

No way someone smart enough will pick overpriced XP in June when they can get the powderful S7 siblings next month.

Jigolo

Last gen specs yo.

1080p 5" screen which looks to have no special juices.
2700mah battery.
3gb ram
No ufs2.0 storage
Big bezels small specs
F2.0 camera, no 4k recording

Sony is going backwards since Z3, and now they are further shitting/confusing their lineup. Seems like Sony wants to build cheaper flagship like xiaomi while maintaining their premium prices.

No way someone smart enough will pick overpriced XP in June when they can get the powderful S7 siblings next month.

Where do you see what kind of internal memory the X is using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom