• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noema

LOOOOL, the HTC One S is using less 45% memory on 1GB RAM on Android 5.1.1

This is running far better than not has Amy right to.

Yeah I noticed the improvement on my Moto G (1GB of ram as well) when I upgraded it to 5.1.1 from 4.4.4. Kit Kat ran like crap on that device.

Dat ART.

Did you flash Cyanogenmod 12.1? Even the Nightlies are pretty mature at this point.

diaspora

Yeah I noticed the improvement on my Moto G (1GB of ram as well) when I upgraded it to 5.1.1 from 4.4.4. Kit Kat ran like crap on that device.

Dat ART.

Did you flash Cyanogenmod 12.1? Even the Nightlies are pretty mature at this point.

Yep. I didn't do the latest nightly but went with the newest stable build from October.

Wait, LG ditched multi-window too? That's....dumb. The best thing about OEM skins are the features stock doesn't offer.

Edit: If they're waiting for Google's implementation of it, it would've made more sense to just keep what they had until then.
it makes more 'lazy dev' sense to take it out and not have to work on it.

reKon

Banned
Android Lollipop can run fine on 1GB. It's idiot fanboys that talk shit saying that Android requires 3 GB of RAM to be functional.

Noema

Android Lollipop can run fine on 1GB. It's idiot fanboys that talk shit saying that Android requires 3 GB of RAM to be functional.

Honestly I'd say 2GB is the minimum for a pleasant experience and I say that after using a Moto G with 1GB for two years.

It's usable with 1GB, specially post lollipop, but patience is needed since apps will refresh, and refresh often. Often Spotify or Antennapod would crash when using Chrome or Google Books. And having SwiftKey reload predictions can also be annoying.

Now that I have a nexus 6 I feel like I'm in smartphone Valhalla.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Fucking FINALLY gonna be back to having a decent android. I got fucked by my company's phone system and ended up with some piece of shit Sharp android which looks set as hell but has so much fucking bloatware installed and is unrootable.

Last phone I liked was the nexus 4. My 6p gets here in a couple of days.

kami_sama

Honestly I'd say 2GB is the minimum for a pleasant experience and I say that after using a Moto G with 1GB for two years.

It's usable with 1GB, specially post lollipop, but patience is needed since apps will refresh, and refresh often. Often Spotify or Antennapod would crash when using Chrome or Google Books. And having SwiftKey reload predictions can also be annoying.

Now that I have a nexus 6 I feel like I'm in smartphone Valhalla.

And on the Moto G it is worse than in other devices with 1GB of RAM. The phone had some problems that made it refresh all the time.

Google's Android has too many flavors and Apple isn't the only one who thinks so

Hiroshi Lockheimer, the chief of Google's mobile software, must both fend off Apple and fight Android "fragmentation." His modus operandi: Lighten up, everyone.

According to colleagues and former Google employees, Lockheimer's approach to Android and its partners is breezy and lighthearted. It's all about trying to lessen the tension that comes with running the most intense and complicated web of designers, engineers, outside developers and hardware partners in technology -- with each side angling for its own best interest. It's also about figuring out how to get more Android users and hardware makers to adopt the latest version of the software.

There have been reports Google is trying to tighten its grip on the Nexus program, giving partners even less say in the design process. Lockheimer won't comment on that but does suggest that Google is ruling out making its own phones, top to bottom, like Apple does with the iPhone. (Google bought Motorola's phone business and decided to sell it to Lenovo two years later, after all.)

Google, says Lockheimer, decides to make only hardware that people can't really find elsewhere, like its Chromecast video-streaming device, which was pretty novel when it came out in 2013. By contrast, the market has phones covered, he says. "Phones are good."

Noema

And on the Moto G it is worse than in other devices with 1GB of RAM. The phone had some problems that made it refresh all the time.

A lot of people blame it on Motorola's aggressive RAM management, but honestly I used the GPE ROM and CM 12.x on it quite a bit and it was just as bad after a while.

It must be said that all of those flavors of 5.x where immensely better than Kit Kat on the Moto G, though. Boy, was that rough. It was my first experience with Android and it almost made me give up on it.

Luckily I stuck with it and I can't see myself using anything else.

Those are only 32 bit Roms mentioned above.

My browser tabs refreshing constantly on both my 2 GB Ram 64bit Nexus devices disagree with you.

kami_sama

A lot of people blame it on Motorola's aggressive RAM management, but honestly I used the GPE ROM and CM 12.x on it quite a bit and it was just as bad after a while.

It must be said that all of those flavors of 5.x where immensely better than Kit Kat on the Moto G, though. Boy, was that rough. It was my first experience with Android and it almost made me give up on it.

Luckily I stuck with it and I can't see myself using anything else.

When I sent my OPT for repairs, I used the latest CM13 nighlies on my Moto G, and it was even better.

Aiii

So not worth it
I went the Huawei...

Yeah, went to a store...

Probably shouldn't have done that...

img_20160224_102853yiosv.jpg
img_20160224_100912bgryh.jpg
img_20160224_100930emqp1.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous watch, screen is insanely crisp and way brighter. One of the things that always annoyed me about the LG G Watch R is that there's a black border around the screen between where the displayed pixels end and the bodywork starts. Not on the Huawei Watch though, it ends right at the body. The Sapphire screen and overall clarity and brightness are way ahead of G Watch R too (and the Urbane, since those are the same watch), absolutely worth the bit of extra cost.

And you were right, it's not thicker than the G Watch R, and in fact looks smaller due to the smaller bezels.
(crosspost from the Wear thread)

If you're in the market for a Wear device, definitely go Huawei, absolutely worth the premium price.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dumb question since I got my first Android device... but how do upgrades work? I can't just download 6.0 from Google? I have to wait for the company who makes the phone to make their own version of 6.0?

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah unless you have a Nexus device updates don't release when Google releases them. Manufacturers make their own modications to the update first, which can take ages, or never come at all if you're in the midrange and the device is > 1 year old.

yogloo

Xiaomi phones are amazing. My current redmi note 3 is one of the best android phones I have ever owned. For the price it is absolutely no 1 in terms of value per dollar. I would expect no less from mi5.

My previous android phones before my current redmi note 3.
Sony xperia mini pro
Galaxy note
Galaxy Note 2
Xperia z2
Xperia z3c

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That or you can install a custom ROM
Yeah unless you have a Nexus device updates don't release when Google releases them. Manufacturers make their own modications to the update first, which can take ages, or never come at all if you're in the midrange and the device is > 1 year old.
Too bad, I was really hoping to use that feature that lets you use an SD card as internal storage... guess I gotta hope Blu is making an update.

reKon

Banned
Looks like Xiaomi has moved on from copying Apple. I mean my lord, that Samsung influence...

Apple's iPhone no longer has a standout out design that everyone wants to mimic (except for HTC, who started the whole ugly antenna band thing anyways).

Anyways this phone in black looks sexy as hell and I can't believe the pricing. Really impressive stuff for both the Mi5 and Mi4s.

If this thing ended up having 12 band LTE I would would flip a shit lol..

The S7 I'm getting getting won't cost me anything as long as I'm still working for my company and it still has things like a VR capabilities, a more compact phone, a more energy efficient screen, and waterproof / expandable storage but damn, this is a great amount of phone you're getting for the price.

reKon

Banned
The Mi 5 also comes with USB C. Just wow...

Oneplus is going to need to kill it this year. No more "we didn't think NFC is necessary" bullshit

thuway

Why are we even comparing to One Plus, this is a director competitor to Samsung and Apple. If Xiaomi can somehow broker a deal to get a stock android experience on their phone it's a game changer

Because Oneplus is probably the most known Chinese brand in the Western World, at least for tech enthusiasts.

And price point as well.

Have to say, Hugo Barra does a great job in the keynote to explain things without going overboard.

tzare

now that s7 is about to be released, s6 has droped quite a bit. ANd since fiorst marsmallow impressions seem quite positive i may end geting one for less than 290€ for my wife since it has IR blaster and similar battery size as her old s4

That new Xiaomi phone is basically why flagship android OEMs are all dying lol. Can't compete with those specs/that price. Insanity.

And it's better designed than most of them too.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
When does it come out? I can travel to China to pick one up.

Mindwipe

That Mi 5 Pro....... How is Xiaomi's software and camera optimisations/software, and their Android skin?

Their software reputation isn't great.

The hands on reports from MWC is that the camera wasn't amazing either.

They seem to be the only negatives though (apart from "too big").

yogloo

That Mi 5 Pro....... How is Xiaomi's software and camera optimisations/software, and their Android skin?
Camera isn't their strong point. Some hates their software skin but I really like it. It's basically ios clone with no trace of the usual android leftover. It's very consistent all over the board.

Saiyan-Rox

Samsung's UK website only has black and gold.

Yeah thats all I could find swell.

Oh and can anyone help me out? when im changing my wallpaper in the "recent" images part theres an image there thats not even mine and it had the drive logo on it. I looked through and found it but i can't delete it as it says it's someone else's image so why is it in my drive and how the hell do I remove it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom