• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Symphonia

Banned
I've got a Nexus 6P on the way. I've had an S5 for two years now, and it just doesn't sit with me. TouchWiz is just gross. I'm looking forward to going back to vanilla Android.

I expected the s7 to continue samsungs bomba ways the last few years but man early pre-order numbers are....just lol.

It's a bit surprising because usually they start off pretty decent and then it just goes on a steep decline but so far. Not good. It's early though. And only one country.

I expected the s7 to continue samsungs bomba ways the last few years but man early pre-order numbers are....just lol.

It's a bit surprising because usually they start off pretty decent and then it just goes on a steep decline but so far. Not good. It's early though. And only one country.

Clearly, that's because Canada is racist and doesn't care about Samsung. Must be the only explanation.

I hope it bombs as soon and much as possible. 400 bucks by Summer? Yes, please!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

More and more I hear people who are either finally happy with their current device or happy enough to not warrant a $700+ off contract upgrade. That or they see to many other good enough phones for half the price.

I think it was wreav who said why pay $700 for an Android phone when you can get 90% of the experience for 50% of the cost.

zewone

Xiaomi has kind of made me hesitant to buy an S7 now that I see they are able to put out a beautiful device with an 820 starting at $270.

Cb-DpA_WEAA1S8S.png

Vanillalite

Buying off brand chinese phones, especially ones running Android, gives me the willies. Probably unfounded fear.

Xiaomi isn't off brand though? I get the concern, but I'd hardly call one of the 5 largest smartphone manufactures in the world off brand. :p

The post above yours does illustrate what I was saying though.

Why pay $700 for a Samsung when you can get 90% of the experience for a fraction of the cost?

Mindwipe

I still can't find an Android mail client I don't hate, and Inbox shuts down tomorrow.

Alto was laggy as shit, Boxer had weird swiping actions and the notification buttons weren't great and Inbox doesn't support iCloud. I like having a separate client to avoid getting mixed up and I use my Gmail app for work.

Aiii

So not worth it
I still can't find an Android mail client I don't hate, and Inbox shuts down tomorrow.

Alto was laggy as shit, Boxer had weird swiping actions and the notification buttons weren't great and Inbox doesn't support iCloud. I like having a separate client to avoid getting mixed up and I use my Gmail app for work.

Gmail app supports multiple accounts.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Xiaomi isn't off brand though? I get the concern, but I'd hardly call one of the 5 largest smartphone manufactures in the world off brand. :p

Why pay $700 for a Samsung when you can get 90% of the experience for a fraction of the cost?

I think if it's not sold officially in the US, then it might as well be off-brand. Because then there's little chance of proper support or warranty when things go wrong. And some carriers may be hesitant to activate or support if things go wrong.

When this is available at Tmobile/Verizon/ATT or even Amazon/Best Buy for that price, that will be something else.

this_guy

I'd get a Xiamoi phone if it had proper support for the US LTE bands. Sell something like the Moto X Pure edition that's compatible with all US carriers and I'll be interested.

Vanillalite

Oh I'm not saying it's worth it for someone in the US to buy.

There are plenty of phones that don't make it here even by manufacturers that release shit here though. Doesn't make those phones off brand though. :p

Saiyan-Rox

A mate of mine who has the Z5 told me you need to turn on the screen before unlocking with the fingerprint scanner

Have to admit I laughed at that

DrFunk

not licensed in your state

diaspora

I... I don't know why Sony refreshed the branding but kept the extra letter (like X or Z). They could have started fresh with Sony Xperia/ Sony Xperia Compact, then Xperia 2 and Xperia 2 Compact...

reKon

Banned
RIP Compact. Maybe I won't sell this when my S7 comes, but keep it for the memories and use as a backup. This phone has been a champion.

Really don't like that chamfered edge on the One M10. Just doesn't look right for some reason.

I use BlueMail and haven't had any problems with it.

longdi

Banned

RIP Sony mobile, as i feared. :(

Whilst the Xperia Z series was all about bringing the best of Sony’s advanced technologies to smartphones, Xperia X series is based on bringing smart, adaptive Sony user experiences across camera, battery performance and hardware / software design.

They are making upper-mid-range phones while targeting premium prices. Confirmed. And retarded

Who the heck is running their Xperia division these days? Talk about taking progressive devolution since Z3, and they will be dead in another year.

Aiii

So not worth it
I love my Xperia Z3 phone and tablet. I will miss them dearly. Next year I think I am going back to Nexus devices, need my proper updates, but what a shame that Sony is dropping the flagship line.

AndyD

aka andydumi
No. I'm not sure if HSPA+ would be hard to get by on though.

Anyone have any insight or experience on what it's like to live without LTE?

Had to do without on an interim phone when my screen broke on mine. It is awful. You can try it on many phones by going into settings and enabling 3G only.

Ashes

Banned
I've got a Nexus 6P on the way. I've had an S5 for two years now, and it just doesn't sit with me. TouchWiz is just gross. I'm looking forward to going back to vanilla Android.

6p software is alright. The actual hardware is what I am pleased about most. The naked feel in hand. Good photos at night. Fast charging. Long battery life.

Saiyan-Rox

No. I'm not sure if HSPA+ would be hard to get by on though.

Anyone have any insight or experience on what it's like to live without LTE?

even though my carrier puts the little 4G symbol on my status bar my DL speed is like 200Kb/s -_-

it's fine for web browsing but does get annoying for some things and downloading apps is a no go.

Noema

For me the best thing about LTE is the reduced latency which makes it feel like I'm on wifi. I've pulled 10mbps on HSPA+ but it still feels sluggish since sometimes servers ping at like 400ms.

Vanillalite

So Acatel idol EU price for this year's models are higher than last years.

I wonder what that means.

Acatel needs more profit? New Snapdragon midrange chips cost more?

Will we still see the 410 in everything this year $200 and under cause of pricing?

How cheap can the new Snap 6XX chips be?

When will Lenovo and ASUS announce their stuff? Will they go with multiple models? Will Lenovo continue the trend of the Moto phones having 3g and LTE versions?

Is there a point to a new Moto E if 1 gig of RAM and 410 is gonna be in the 2016 variant?

For me the best thing about LTE is the reduced latency which makes it feel like I'm on wifi. I've pulled 10mbps on HSPA+ but it still feels sluggish since sometimes servers ping at like 400ms.

This person gets it. #Latency

VoxPop

The Sony news is a shame. They were the only Android company with a good design language, pretty good specs and near god tier battery life on top of near stock Android. It's sad to see one of the good ones go instead of someone like Samsung or HTC.

Saiyan-Rox

So I just took off my rhino sheild from my 6P and there's dents/scratches down one side of it! just where the rhino shield is really loose swell.....i'm not happy at all what the actual fuck I haven't even dropped it!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Phone hardware is good enough. The biggest reason I like the Nextbit Robin is because of the cool design.

Vanillalite

It's also worth noting the 820 equipped Xiaomi is in the same price Ballpark as the Alcatel idol 4(S). The 4 comes with a 617 and the 4S 652.

Make me wonder about volume. Everyone using the 820 vs nobody using the 652 or 617. Does that make the 6XX lineup more expensive?

Massa

Tom Warren, the bitter Microsoft hack at the Verge, is teasing a Cyanogen OS phone from Microsoft.

In possibly related news, Microsoft just bought Xamarin, a company that mostly specializes in making Microsoft developer frameworks available on non-Windows platforms, like Android and iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom