• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been oh-so-tempted to pick up a Nexus 6 instead of waiting for the new Nexus 5. Those prices on Amazon are tempting.

But with Android Pay now out, I think a fingerprint reader is now a necessity for me from this point forward. Using my pattern lock does the job, but a fingerprint scanner would be preferable.

Any info about possible new Nexus tablets? Thinking about buying a 9.7 Tab S2, but would prefer a stock software tablet. Sadly the Nexus 9 is just a hair too small for my needs.

EmiPrime

Is stock Android even good on tablets?

I like it a lot on my Nexus 7 as it looks clean, standby time is good and it's fast and the lack of tablet exclusive tricks don't really matter as it's barely bigger than a Kindle but if you want something bigger it won't really make good use of the extra screen space.

A lighter Nexus 7 with a little less chin and forehead and with Android M would be my ideal tablet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Is stock Android even good on tablets?

We are still very much enjoying the N10. The kids watch youtube cartoons, gaf, reddit, netflix, shopping all work fine. Plus it works well as a second screen for Playstation games, and a good manager for the Tivo DVR recordings. It's no powerhouse but it's a good coffee table tablet if that makes sense. Even if a new one came out, not sure an upgrade would be needed.

Jigolo

We are still very much enjoying the N10. The kids watch youtube cartoons, gaf, reddit, netflix, shopping all work fine. Plus it works well as a second screen for Playstation games, and a good manager for the Tivo DVR recordings. It's no powerhouse but it's a good coffee table tablet if that makes sense. Even if a new one came out, not sure an upgrade would be needed.
Mhmmm

My N10 is still serving me well but I'm due an upgrade next year. I hope to see a 4K tab next year with an 820 or 821

Klotera

I've been oh-so-tempted to pick up a Nexus 6 instead of waiting for the new Nexus 5. Those prices on Amazon are tempting.

But with Android Pay now out, I think a fingerprint reader is now a necessity for me from this point forward. Using my pattern lock does the job, but a fingerprint scanner would be preferable.

Hold on for fingerprint functionality. I never used a lock screen before getting my S6 edge, because I hate entering pins or codes. The fingerprint scanner makes it so easy that I've had a lock screen ever since, which will make adopting Android Pay painless.

Wreav

Banned
Just pulled the trigger on $18,000 worth of new iPhones. Not a single Android has my attention except the 5-2, but I doubt we'll even see it on ✓

VoxPop

On the iWay to hell tonight. This new iPhone deal from T-Mobile was too good to pass up. Going to be upgrading to the 64GB 6S Plus from a regular 6. Been kind of wanting a monster sized phone after playing around with the Note 4. Also gotta pick up a 64GB rose gold 6S. Will leave some impressions once it arrives. Hoping to scoop up a 64GB White 5X at launch as well to see where the competition stacks up these days. Does Google usually release the Nexus line the same day as the announcement?

Furyous

On the iWay to hell tonight. This new iPhone deal from T-Mobile was too good to pass up. Going to be upgrading to the 64GB 6S Plus from a regular 6. Been kind of wanting a monster sized phone after playing around with the Note 4. Also gotta pick up a 64GB rose gold 6S. Will leave some impressions once it arrives. Hoping to scoop up a 64GB White 5X at launch as well to see where the competition stacks up these days. Does Google usually release the Nexus line the same day as the announcement?

The N5X will be out of stock in 24 hours if prior launches are any indication.

CronoShot

Rumor has it the 5X will only be available in 16GB and 32GB.

Which is a deal breaker for me.

No Love

Banned
Wow the new Zendone 2 update almost doubled the battery life, previously I was getting about 2.5 or less screen time. This phone was unplugged yesterday at 5pm. Still going.

HAConsz.jpg

CdWnedw.jpg
Wow.. Definitely ordering a couple Zenfone 2's for family members. That's a massive improvement. Looks like Asus actually gives a shit about their phones.

Reckoner

Just got my Nexus 6.

First impressions... The screen saturatuon sucks and the camera sucks.

Can I turn off the vibrating when I type?

If you get a custom kernel you can adjust some sliders to get the screen less warm. But yeah, it was the thing that annoyed me the most on the phone. I don't understand how OEM don't feel ashamed for releasing devices like that...

Wreav

Banned
N6 is hot poop all the way around. Literally the worst purchase you can make today, unless you're Salsa or something.

The camera doesn't even suck that much. I've taken pretty decent low light shots.

Yeah I think it was just Snapchat...

The phone isn't *terrible* but man idk I guess I have a week to play around with it. My iPhone 5c is getting long in the tooth but maybe the money I used could go toward something else...

Saiyan-Rox

So according to android Police Goog confirmed no dark mode for Marshmallow

wonder where that leaves the hidden multiwindow? probably not gonna happen is it?

kinggroin

Banned
Unless the remaining two Nexii do something amazing, it looks like I'll just trade my blue N6 for the white model 64GB and some cash.

All these phones are such fucking trash this year for the prices they're asking. The Moto X Pure almost had me, but I'd rather take an uncalibrated OLED (which I can adjust myself) display over the LCD they have and no wireless charging bullshit. The N6 battery is still better too looking at prelim tests.

Weak fucking year so far. I mean, really weak fucking year.

Maybe I'll try an iPhone finally.

Unless the remaining two Nexii do something amazing, it looks like I'll just trade my blue N6 for the white model 64GB and some cash.

All these phones are such fucking trash this year for the prices they're asking. The Moto X Pure almost had me, but I'd rather take an uncalibrated OLED (which I can adjust myself) display over the LCD they have and no wireless charging bullshit. The N6 battery is still better too looking at prelim tests.

Weak fucking year so far. I mean, really weak fucking year.

Maybe I'll try an iPhone finally.
the topic title is there for a reason!

But yeah I mean...we kind of know what to expect for the nexus devices for the most part. Sort of. I guess it's the execution that counts though. Should find out soon.

I know you guys will laugh at me but I bought a a Lenovo K3 note for $150 from China and installed a nexus rom on it just now and this shit is awesome. Seriously unreal for the price. Super smooth. Out of the box the rom sucks and is bloated as hell so rooting and custom rom is a must if you want to get one.

Never spending money on a big brand name again.

Only issue is my date in the quick settings (swiping down from top bar) is numerical like this 9/11/2015 whereas my nexus 4 it is Friday, September 11. Any ideas how to fix that?

There is far too much hyperbole and over-exaggeration in this and most other Android-related threads. None of the flagship phones released this year are trash/hot garbage/shit/whatever. Not even some of the low-end and midrange devices could be described in such a fashion. I know the constant negativity and bitching is some of y'all schtick, but damn yo, give that shit a rest sometimes.

I know you guys will laugh at me but I bought a a Lenovo K3 note for $150 from China and installed a nexus rom on it just now and this shit is awesome. Seriously unreal for the price. Super smooth. Out of the box the rom sucks and is bloated as hell so rooting and custom rom is a must if you want to get one.

Never spending money on a big brand name again.

Only issue is my date in the quick settings bar is numerical like this 9/11/2015 whereas my nexus 4 it is Friday, September 11. Any ideas how to fix that?
make a video

There is far too much hyperbole and over-exaggeration in this and most other Android-related threads. None of the flagship phones released this year are trash/hot garbage/shit/whatever. Not even some of the low-end and midrange devices could be described in such a fashion. I know the constant negativity and bitching is some of y'all schtick, but damn yo, give that shit a rest sometimes.

Let's not get crazy here. There may be one flagship out there that I'd call a legit bad phone.

HTC One M9

make a video
Of the phone? There are a lot of reviews on youtube. A lot from people who barely speak english because it is a phone meant for the indian/chinese markets, but there are a few goodn english reviews. No reviews with the nexus rom. I wish I could record and show you something but I don't have a camera good enough. My nexus 4 is complete crap basically dead now.

alright Oscar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom