• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's also worth noting the 820 equipped Xiaomi is in the same price Ballpark as the Alcatel idol 4(S). The 4 comes with a 617 and the 4S 652.

Make me wonder about volume. Everyone using the 820 vs nobody using the 652 or 617. Does that make the 6XX lineup more expensive?
These new 6xx chips are supposed to be beasts, right? Mid range phones gonna be really great if so.

zewone

Had to do without on an interim phone when my screen broke on mine. It is awful. You can try it on many phones by going into settings and enabling 3G only.

For me the best thing about LTE is the reduced latency which makes it feel like I'm on wifi. I've pulled 10mbps on HSPA+ but it still feels sluggish since sometimes servers ping at like 400ms.

Y'all just killed my Mi 5 dreams. :(

Guess I'm back to the S7.

It's also worth noting the 820 equipped Xiaomi is in the same price Ballpark as the Alcatel idol 4(S). The 4 comes with a 617 and the 4S 652.

Make me wonder about volume. Everyone using the 820 vs nobody using the 652 or 617. Does that make the 6XX lineup more expensive?

Both the 65X and the 820 are brand new, 65x is cheaper to buy than 820, 820 really doesn't have competition that can be bought.

65X and 61X series have competition from Mediatek (cheaper and better support for device manufacturers to get their devices out the door, software support is miserable) so not that many devices with the new chips.

These new 6xx chips are supposed to be beasts, right? Mid range phones gonna be really great if so.
Yes if Qualcomm play their cards right they could steal a lot of clients from Mediatek.

Not sure they care though.

asdad123

So I like my s6 edge and all, but holy shit android battery drain is real.

Theres something stopping it from going to deep sleep and the battery just drains terribly throughout the day. Im losing like 7-8% per hour without even touching the phone.

It was like that before, but then I reinstalled the stock firmware and then I was good for a week and now the same thing.

Any tips?

Theres something stopping it from going to deep sleep and the battery just drains terribly throughout the day. Im losing like 7-8% per hour without even touching the phone.

It was like that before, but then I reinstalled the stock firmware and then I was good for a week and now the same thing.

Any tips?

This is the way all Verizon S6 owners have it that I know. Hopefully M brings some improvements ASAP.

Any tips?

disable useless apps and don't use FB ....it notorious for begin the biggest battery drainer

asdad123

disable useless apps and don't use FB ....it notorious for begin the biggest battery drainer

Never had Facebook installed on my phone. Only apps that aren't existing on the phone are:

Chase
American Express
Discover Card
Instagram
Android Wear
Gsam Battery
Speedtest

Never had Facebook installed on my phone. Only apps that aren't existing on the phone are:

Chase
American Express
Discover Card
Instagram
Android Wear
Gsam Battery
Speedtest

Drop it for an s7. I'm reading online that Marshmallow doesn't help the drain on the s6. I think not using Qualcomm soc really screwed the s6 standby battery.

Pyro may have some insight as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Both the 65X and the 820 are brand new, 65x is cheaper to buy than 820, 820 really doesn't have competition that can be bought.

65X and 61X series have competition from Mediatek (cheaper and better support for device manufacturers to get their devices out the door, software support is miserable) so not that many devices with the new chips.

Yes if Qualcomm play their cards right they could steal a lot of clients from Mediatek.

Not sure they care though.

820 is being mass produced for a large range of phones. The 652 isn't in anything. So you'd have to ramp up production just for your device.

In theory since every flagship is going 820 it could be cheaper to source than the slower 6XX chips.

vivftp

So, the Xperia Z series is not going away it seems?

https://www.androidpit.com/xperia-x-series-will-not-replace-xperia-z6

When asked directly whether the X Performance would replace the Z series, Mr Mesa said: “The Z series is not going away. We want to make it clear.” He then pointed to an X Performance unit in front of him and said, “that is not the Z.”

If this is the case then I'm perfectly fine with the X series and where it's positioned. The X Performance is a nice enough phone, and the Z is going to have to work that much harder to separate itself from it come IFA.

Quixzlizx

Is there any chance at all the Mi 5 will have T-mo bands?

Also, is there any way to get T-mo wifi calling/texting working on an unlocked phone other than buying a Nexus?

zewone

Y'all just killed my Mi 5 dreams. :(

Guess I'm back to the S7.

Tried out 3G for myself and it honestly wasn't that bad. I couldn't tell the difference in real world usage. I was able to stream 1080p60 Youtube video without any hiccups and refresh social media streams with ease.

KUERbsf.png

My Nexus 6p is finally coming in after being backordered for most of the month. I'm on Cricket, should I just be able to swap my SIM card from my current phone into the Nexus and I'm good to go?

Ty4on

Tried out 3G for myself and it honestly wasn't that bad. I couldn't tell the difference in real world usage. I was able to stream 1080p60 Youtube video without any hiccups and refresh social media streams with ease.

I did go five years between phones, but it really surprised me how fast 3G had gotten last time I upgraded. There have been tons of times where I'm on a public wifi (airport, not crappy hotel) and turn off wifi to finish my downloads because HSPA+ is much faster. I've gotten so used to turning off wifi when the connection is flaky that I often come home and wonder why my phone is using so much power until I realize wifi is still off.

I understand that 4G has much better latency and I think per MB downloaded it is more power efficient, but I thought I would feel more crippled without it.

linkboy

My Nexus 6p is finally coming in after being backordered for most of the month. I'm on Cricket, should I just be able to swap my SIM card from my current phone into the Nexus and I'm good to go?

As NeOak said, if it's nanosim, you're good. If not, you'll need a new Sim or just get your old one cut down (not the most ideal, though as a chance it'll kill the card).

What's your current phone?

Google Cloud is going to host Spotify in the future and some are saying it's the first step towards an acquisition.

Man, how I'd hate that. Spotify by Google just doesn't sit right with me.

820 is being mass produced for a large range of phones. The 652 isn't in anything. So you'd have to ramp up production just for your device.

In theory since every flagship is going 820 it could be cheaper to source than the slower 6XX chips.

It's not about mass production, the 652 is also in mass production. OEMs just haven't announced devices.

And the 820 has more advanced features that have to be payed for, plus royalties.

The 65X is cheaper to implement. Not sure why you're disputing that based on production volumes.

Ty4on

Wow, my 3G is almost as fast as your 4G.
I have a Nexus 4 so no 4G*. I'm really bad at mobile networks, but it is reported as DC-HSPA+ (42.2) and the Anandtech review noted my phone supports HSDPA Category 24 (43.2 Mbps) which seems to be the same thing.

*It technically supports band 4, but I think you need to root it and either way there's no band 4 on my carrier.

Ty4on

Yeah, '3G' got changed and advanced so many times that it's just not very good at describing how fast your internet is.

I know. UMTS was really not that impressive.

UMTS is early gen 3G and EDGE is late gen 2G. The former has better download speeds, but the latter has better upload speeds and (usually) had much better coverage when 3G was new. That created some fun dynamics in the mid 00's. Because Nokia had a patent on EDGE Sony Ericsson would for ages refuse to put EDGE on their phones which lead to a bunch of much cheaper 2G phones having much faster mobile internet in real use because they would never default back to sloooooooow GPRS (we're approaching dial up speeds here).
Even the flagship SE P990i had no EDGE despite it being present even low end Nokias had back then.

I've had a phone upgrade available to me for a while and find myself becoming majorly overwhelmed any time I start looking at phones. Maybe somebody here can help me?

I currently have a Galaxy S5 and have to say, it's the best phone I have ever had. Super reliable, no problems during my entire ownership, and I'm a fan of removable batteries/storage. The battery has treated me super well, and I'm just pleased a phone has lasted me so long without any issues.
Memory management and software in general is frustrating in esoteric situations, but that would be my only real complaint.

In my googling, I was considering a Sony phone. I'm a playstation guy, and remote play seems like a fun little novelty. But more importantly, I was drawn to the Z5 compact because, for no discernable reason, I kinda want a smaller phone. But honestly they seem few and a far between. Am I giving up a lot for the smaller phone factor? I don't want to miss out on some cool devices just because of size.

Are there defacto -- these are what you should look at options? Totally lost, any recommendations based on what I have said would be awesome! Oh and I have at&t if that matters. Thanks!

I've had a phone upgrade available to me for a while and find myself becoming majorly overwhelmed any time I start looking at phones. Maybe somebody here can help me?

I currently have a Galaxy S5 and have to say, it's the best phone I have ever had. Super reliable, no problems during my entire ownership, and I'm a fan of removable batteries/storage. The battery has treated me super well, and I'm just pleased a phone has lasted me so long without any issues.
Memory management and software in general is frustrating in esoteric situations, but that would be my only real complaint.

In my googling, I was considering a Sony phone. I'm a playstation guy, and remote play seems like a fun little novelty. But more importantly, I was drawn to the Z5 compact because, for no discernable reason, I kinda want a smaller phone. But honestly they seem few and a far between. Am I giving up a lot for the smaller phone factor? I don't want to miss out on some cool devices just because of size.

Are there defacto -- these are what you should look at options? Totally lost, any recommendations based on what I have said would be awesome! Oh and I have at&t if that matters. Thanks!
in the android space you're most definitely giving something up to go to a smaller form factor 99% of the time. With that said, why not just get an S7. You said that despite its issues, the S5 was the best phone you ever had. S7 is the same shit but better in every way. Added benefit of being almost the same size.

Hasney

I would have agreed with Pyro if you didn't mention the removable battery. If that's less of an issue, you've already lived the worst of TouchWiz of the S4 and 5 so you clearly tolerate eliminating the biggest issue people have with Samsung phones, other than the memory management which wasn't that much improved in the S6.

Smaller phones all have compromises, but the Z5 Compact is likely the best smaller phone on Android.

Worth considering the G5 depending on how it reviews as a side step size wise, but has the removable battery to beat out the S7 in that regard.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Google Cloud is going to host Spotify in the future and some are saying it's the first step towards an acquisition.

Man, how I'd hate that. Spotify by Google just doesn't sit right with me.

That's the dumbest logic I've seen in a while.

Need a cloud host? Decide to use AWS? Must be the first step toward Amazon buying you out. Insert Google or MS of whomever the fuck you want here.

Mindwipe

If you want a smaller phone that isn't a hobbled mess the Z5C is literally your only option.

zewone

Apparently, the specs have US LTE?

B1 / B2 / B3 / B4 / B5 / B7 / B8 / B12 / B13 / B17 / B18 / B19 / B20 / B25 / B26 / B27 / B28 / B29

The 820 has those bands, but they probably won't work in the US.

I know the Snapdragon CPUs Xiaomi has previously used didn't provide LTE in America without a hack.

But, I'd be extremely happy to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom