• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
How hard is it to "reactivate"?

Dunno, but I'm guessing next to impossible.

Edit: If Xiaomi did include US bands I would be seriously surprised. But they did announce a phone in Barcelona/Outside of China or India for the 1st time, so who knows.

But they do have a nice lineup of products.

SDR-UK

In desperate need of a new phone because my LG G3 finally kicked the bucket. The SIM Card and MicroSD card slot has just stopped reading either cards. I contacted LG in the UK and they told me it wasn't economically viable to offer this repair service for whatever reason and kept pushing me towards a brand new phone (LG G4) or a refurb.

That said, I'm in need of some opinions.

I'm kind of soured on LG at the moment and the LG G4 which has not impressed me at all is totally off the cards. The LG G5 is so far out (a month and a half) that it is not viable for me to wait that long. Same with the Galaxy S7, although that did underwhelm.

So, best phone(s) on the market? Been looking at the Nexus 6P, S6 (&Edge) and the Z5 (although I did have a bad experience with the Z1). Help me out, GAF?

zewone

How hard is it to "reactivate"?

Something like this.
In desperate need of a new phone because my LG G3 finally kicked the bucket. The SIM Card and MicroSD card slot has just stopped reading either cards. I contacted LG in the UK and they told me it wasn't economically viable to offer this repair service for whatever reason and kept pushing me towards a brand new phone (LG G4) or a refurb.

That said, I'm in need of some opinions.

I'm kind of soured on LG at the moment and the LG G4 which has not impressed me at all is totally off the cards. The LG G5 is so far out (a month and a half) that it is not viable for me to wait that long. Same with the Galaxy S7, although that did underwhelm.

So, best phone(s) on the market? Been looking at the Nexus 6P, S6 (&Edge) and the Z5 (although I did have a bad experience with the Z1). Help me out, GAF?
Out of the options you listed I'd go with the 6P.

SDR-UK

Thanks for the recommendation. Although know my choices aren't limited to what I proposed if there is something better out there.

The goal is to get the best phone available at the moment and something that is going to last, has good build quality, etc.

Thanks for the recommendation. Although know my choices aren't limited to what I proposed if there is something better out there.

The goal is to get the best phone available at the moment and something that is going to last, has good build quality, etc.

The Qualcomm in the 6p is definitely not built to last IMO. Neither is the storage speed.

As much as I have a distaste for Samsung software the s7 hardware will most likely perform for years to come as long as Samsung doesn't botch an OS update.

Pyrokai

Hey guys. Verizon Nexus 6P owner here. How in the world can I get my phone to notify me when I have a voicemail? It does not tell me at all and I have to guess to see if a missed caller left a message. Then I have to dial the *88 thing to archaically check. Is there no visual voicemail equivalent for Android? Driving me crazy!

Hey guys. Verizon Nexus 6P owner here. How in the world can I get my phone to notify me when I have a voicemail? It does not tell me at all and I have to guess to see if a missed caller left a message. Then I have to dial the *88 thing to archaically check. Is there no visual voicemail equivalent for Android? Driving me crazy!

Its built into the OS but Verizon chooses to ignore it.

I think you have two options...
- Verizon's app
- Setup a google voice account and forward verizon vms to your google voice number. You can also integrate this with hangouts and will get full voicemail printouts as hangout messages. This is what I do. Works great and I get them on my pc as well.

Huh? You don't get a voicemail icon at the top?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
810 gets straight murdered by the 820 in GPU benchmarks.

Anandtech

79355.png

79353.png

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Meh. No one really cares about that stuff, though. The experience for almost all of us won't change.

I've had a phone upgrade available to me for a while and find myself becoming majorly overwhelmed any time I start looking at phones. Maybe somebody here can help me?

I currently have a Galaxy S5 and have to say, it's the best phone I have ever had. Super reliable, no problems during my entire ownership, and I'm a fan of removable batteries/storage. The battery has treated me super well, and I'm just pleased a phone has lasted me so long without any issues.
Memory management and software in general is frustrating in esoteric situations, but that would be my only real complaint.

In my googling, I was considering a Sony phone. I'm a playstation guy, and remote play seems like a fun little novelty. But more importantly, I was drawn to the Z5 compact because, for no discernable reason, I kinda want a smaller phone. But honestly they seem few and a far between. Am I giving up a lot for the smaller phone factor? I don't want to miss out on some cool devices just because of size.

Are there defacto -- these are what you should look at options? Totally lost, any recommendations based on what I have said would be awesome! Oh and I have at&t if that matters. Thanks!

LG G5 if the removable battery is still a thing you want. GS7 if not.

http://pocketnow.com/2016/02/25/xiaomi-mi-5-india-china-global-markets-release

Be interesting to see what Xiaomi means by 'global markets'. Maybe the Mi 5 will come to the West after all.

There's currently a great deal of hostility from US government and telecom providers regarding Chinese made handsets because of the fear of Chinese government spying. I wonder if anyone would even allow the device on their networks if you bought one in the US and tried to activate it.

zewone

There's currently a great deal of hostility from US government and telecom providers regarding Chinese made handsets because of the fear of Chinese government spying. I wonder if anyone would even allow the device on their networks if you bought one in the US and tried to activate it.

People use Chinese phones everyday in America, including Xiaomi phones.

WoodWERD

Edited in on that anandtech article:

The Mi 5 seems to be compatible with most global cellular networks and thus should represent an attractive import option for many users including those in the US and Europe.

Sweet if true. Seems to be the best bang for the buck international/unlocked phone I can get my hands on.

People use Chinese phones everyday in America, including Xiaomi phones.

I've never seen a Xiaomi phone in America. Ever.

I have however seen a few ZTE's.

I don't actually know anyone who owns a Nexus 6P come to think of it. It seems like a phantom phone that exists only on AndroidGAF and nowhere else.

How often do Xiaomi devices end up with custom ROM support? This would be super tempting with CM or something close to stock...

The bootloader is locked and it requires a bureaucratic process to unlock it.

And Xiaomi doesn't provide source code for their devices.

Saiyan-Rox

First my N6P gets dings in the side and now I dropped my Pixel C and it hit the corver of my desk on the edge of the screen and got a ding in the side

FML

this_guy

I think the hidden truth is the US government can't go to Chinese manufacturers and secretly demand a back door so the US can do their own spying.

zewone

No way. The market share for Xiaomi here is near non-existent.
I'm not saying it's super popular here. What I am saying is that the phones are used on AT&T and T-Mobile everyday. US carriers aren't going to restrict it because it originated from China.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think the hidden truth is the US government can't go to Chinese manufacturers and secretly demand a back door so the US can do their own spying.

Someone mentioned that the unintended consequence of Apple being forced to weaken their security for the NSA/FBI will mean some foreign governments will prohibit Apple devices from their networks, decreasing sales for Apple. A reverse of US reticence towards Chinese branded phones.

Kuros

Someone mentioned that the unintended consequence of Apple being forced to weaken their security for the NSA/FBI will mean some foreign governments will prohibit Apple devices from their networks, decreasing sales for Apple. A reverse of US reticence towards Chinese branded phones.

I would be interested to see what deal struck to get the iPhone into China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom