• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

Is it normal for the Nexus 6p to get pretty warm when surfing Chrome over wifi? It isn't hot, but gets pretty warm.

I'm about to get a TPU case, will this increase the heat even more / damage the phone?

EDIT: Brand new phone btw.
Not normal, the only time mine feels hot is when it's on my dashboard working as a dashcam or during/after charging. My Spigen TPU case feels less hot than my Spigen plastic case.

longdi

Banned
Tried loading apps between z2(5.1.1) and s7e, while Samsung phone is faster on first load, Sony phone is fractionally and consistently faster on subsequent apps switching. At no times I felt z2 is a slow phone.

Z2 is putting up a good fight considering its age. I feel touch wiz still gonna touch wiz behind the scene.

The camera and screen though, Sony needs to follow the trend to make QHD screen and start getting your Alpha team to help with camera

thuway

Tried loading apps between z2(5.0.2) and s7e, while Samsung phone is faster on first load, Sony phone is fractionally and consistently faster on subsequent apps switching. At no times I felt z2 is a slow phone.

Z2 is putting up a good fight considering its age. I feel touch wiz still gonna touch wiz behind the scene.

The camera and screen though, Sony needs to follow the trend to make QHD screen and start getting your Alpha team to help with camera

Long-chan hows the battery life on S7E?

Just tried out a few thing in Google Cardboard, my Nexus 6p is actually very warm.

Should I send it back to amazon and exchange for a new one?

My battery has also depleted 27% in 3 and 1/2 hours of light usage. The most extreme usage was 10 mins of Google cardboard.

longdi

Banned
I like to know too Thu-chan, but I was playing with live demo units. Retail units only available in 2 more weeks.

The more I touched the demo units, the more I felt the curve edge is the most wasteful gimmick ever. It adversely affected my feel of navigating the UI.

GuessWho

I'm going to get a S7, but I want to hear from s6 users first. How's TouchWiz one year later? Is it still as speedy as day one? I'm on a nexus 5 now.

I don't think I've ever made it above 3h SoT on my 6p

That's why I hate battery talk on the internet. People are saying how disappointed they were with the G4 battery, citing 3 hours SoT and whatnot, so I didn't get one, even thought it might have been great for me.

I'm sure it depends on what you do with the phone and which apps you use. I took my Nexus 5 off the charger around 7 am and reached 5% by 2 pm, with almost 3 hours SoT. But all I did was browsing, IM and some youtube videos. That's all I actually do on my phone, so phones like the G4 or the 6P might get me more than that. But I also don't want to spend 400 or more to find it out and go through the hassle of returning it and waiting for my money. So when people bitch about their battery, it would be nice to know what they actually did. Otherwise it's useless information.

Sorry to quote your on this, Groof. It's more of a general rant.

I don't think I've ever made it above 3h SoT on my 6p

It was only maybe 40 mins of SOT. Plus, shouldn't these be able to manage much more than 3 hrs? All the battery drain tests have it around 10 hrs or more, and that's continuous web surfing.

I literally browsed a bit with a 10 min video.

None of this is even my primary concern. My initial question was about the phone getting very warm while browsing over wifi or watching said 10 min video.

Groof

Sorry to quote your on this, Groof. It's more of a general rant.
I completely agree though. Everyone's usage is vastly different. The 6p has been much much better than my old Nexus 5. And I'm a very heavy user almost constantly on my phone with at least 3-4 different IM apps pinging, emails, browsing, photo editing, videos etc etc. No phone would be adequate for me tbh but the 6p is decent. Gets me through most days fairly well.
None of this is even my primary concern. My initial question was about the phone getting very warm while browsing over wifi or watching said 10 min video.
My 6p gets hot a lot as well. Probably just the 810 doing its business

Jigolo

If the S7 doesn't have ultrasonic biometrics, still not seeing a compelling reason to choose it over the iWay. Camera bulge is negated by any good case, USB-C isn't exactly a feature so much as a requirement going forward, and SD...well...you all know how I feel about SD.

Alright, titanium S7 on preorder. Still not happy about this 32gb business.

-

Even Samsung can't keep up with Samsung cameras.

s7-camera-specs-leak-303x540.jpg

Samsung comes out with a best in class camera, then promptly abandons it less than a year later. Gotta copy Apple at all costs!

Got to play with an S7 edge and hoooo boy that camera. Simply stunning coming from my iPhone 6s+. Not even comparable.

I was holding my iPhone and my left hand and the Samsung my right hand, taking essentially the same photos and comparing the two. Things like shutter speed in the same lighting conditions were easy to pick apart even without a big monitor. The front camera on the S7 is so much brighter than the iPhone as well.

Zooming in as far as I could, the S7 actually had more aliasing which was a little disheartening, but like you said that's probably a symptom of the same picture being displayed on the higher-resolution screen.

4:3 is best. Even on the S6, I toned it down to 12MP/4:3.

O5NyCibf93upy.gif

Wow guys I may have figured out why android auto is so bad on the S6. I've only driven twice since then so I'm not 100% sure the issues are resolved. The issues being it would cut android auto out and just have an unresponsive blackscreen. You'd have to unplug and replug in. It happened all the time multiple times a drive.

Anyway I think it's samsung's built in "app optimization". I guess it was doing something to android auto WHILE it was running for reasons no human can comprehend. Nonetheless I disabled it and it has been ok for two drives. Don't want to get my hopes up though, will have to drive more.

Hey AndroidGaf, I'm thinking about buying a new phone.

I'm torn between the Nexus 6P or the Galaxy S7. While I'm not a big fan of Touchwiz's design, the display is nice, the performance looks quick, and the S7 is more future proof, because it very new. The Nexus 6P has stock android (I think it looks a lot better than touchwiz), It has a big sharp screen, and is a pretty good performer, but Its been out for a couple of months, so it may be outdated soon?

I'm not sure which to buy.

Hey AndroidGaf, I'm thinking about buying a new phone.

I'm torn between the Nexus 6P or the Galaxy S7. While I'm not a big fan of Touchwiz's design, the display is nice, the performance looks quick, and the S7 is more future proof, because it very new. The Nexus 6P has stock android (I think it looks a lot better than touchwiz), It has a big sharp screen, and is a pretty good performer, but Its been out for a couple of months, so it may be outdated soon?

I'm not sure which to buy.
While it depends on your usage I don't think the Nexus 6P will be considered "Outdated" for years to come. It is a great phone and easily one of the best Android phones you can purchase at the moment. On a hardware level the S7 is definitely the better equipped phone of the two, but I'd say the Nexus 6P has better software in the form of pure stock Android. It will also get better long-term support than the S7 since the Nexus 6P will definitely get Android N and probably get Android O, where as the S7 will take at least six months to get Android N and probably never get Android O. It costs considerably less than the Galaxy S7.

On the Galaxy S7 side of things you're getting top of the line hardware and if it follows the S6/Note 5 you will likely end up with the best display and camera performance of any phone released this year. You also get conveniences like a MicroSD Card slot, waterproofing, and wireless charging. While I personally think the software experience is worse than stock Android you do get things like Samsung's excellent multitasking features and Samsung Pay. Android updates are going to take awhile, but that might not be a huge deal to some people although the larger issue is that the phone may not get support past 1 huge software update (IE You get Android N, but maybe no Android O).

If I had a gun held to my head and was forced to buy one of these two devices I'd choose the Galaxy S7, but that is only because the Nexus 6P is too large for me to comfortably use on a day to day basis.

Wreav

Banned
6P has only one edge on the S7, no pun intended, and that's stock Android. The S7 wipes the floor with it otherwise. Too early to tell if USB-C is must have this year.

6P has only one edge on the S7, no pun intended, and that's stock Android. The S7 wipes the floor with it otherwise. Too early to tell if USB-C is must have this year.

Probably not especially when the S7 has wireless charging. I am more interested in the reversible factor of USB-C than the speed because seriously, how often are people transferring files between phone and computer these days? Once a month? One every 3 months? I know I only transfer music the first time then like once every 3 to 6 months when new music comes out.

While it depends on your usage I don't think the Nexus 6P will be considered "Outdated" for years to come. It is a great phone and easily one of the best Android phones you can purchase at the moment. On a hardware level the S7 is definitely the better equipped phone of the two, but I'd say the Nexus 6P has better software in the form of pure stock Android. It will also get better long-term support than the S7 since the Nexus 6P will definitely get Android N and probably get Android O, where as the S7 will take at least six months to get Android N and probably never get Android O. It costs considerably less than the Galaxy S7.

On the Galaxy S7 side of things you're getting top of the line hardware and if it follows the S6/Note 5 you will likely end up with the best display and camera performance of any phone released this year. You also get conveniences like a MicroSD Card slot, waterproofing, and wireless charging. While I personally think the software experience is worse than stock Android you do get things like Samsung's excellent multitasking features and Samsung Pay. Android updates are going to take awhile, but that might not be a huge deal to some people although the larger issue is that the phone may not get support past 1 huge software update (IE You get Android N, but maybe no Android O).

If I had a gun held to my head and was forced to buy one of these two devices I'd choose the Galaxy S7, but that is only because the Nexus 6P is too large for me to comfortably use on a day to day basis.

Thank you for you reply. I think I may go with the Nexus 6P, just because software is going to be more frequently updated, eventually hardware gets outdated anyway, so I'll stick with having the latest android, over having the latest hardware features.

But I'm still going to think about it till I actually go to the store and actually confronted with the choice.

Well stock Android is a pretty big edge since it means the Nexus 6P won't be passed up for updates a year from now when Samsung is trying to sell you the Galaxy S8. Also the Nexus 6P is $200 cheaper than the S7 or $50 cheaper if you go for the 128GB model.

Actually the S7 will get O if you look at previous Samsung devices. The s4 got L and the s5 is getting M. The S6 should end with N which means the S7 should end with O.

The thing about the 6p vs the s7 is which phones will actually be able to perform with N or O? The 810 is a crappy chip and may struggle bad in the future but sometimes Samsung releases botched updates. They then you don't get the .1 bug fix release for ages.

Its a tough call but I would choose the S7 as well but only because the 2015 Snapdragons are shit.

Just think guys....2016 nexus (potentially made 100% by google) with a 820 chip. Time for operation #holdout.

Right as apple comes out with a A10 that has double the single core performance of the 820. Lol.

I'm guessing we are looking at 2017 for a full google phone and Snapdragon that rivals Apple.

Right as apple comes out with a A10 that has double the single core performance of the 820. Lol.

I'm guessing we are looking at 2017 for a full google phone and Snapdragon that rivals Apple.
tbh as long as apple has full control over the design of their SoCs I think they'll always beat the snapdragon chips. The qualcomm ones might win out in certain aspects like gpu or something for a few months but then when the next gen A soc comes out like the A10 in this case, and A11 next year, etc... it will always win.

Google should make their own (lol jk).

And a full 6 inches. What a dream to have.
why not both, 5 inches and 6 inches. None of them gimped :(

considering the plummeting sales every year, it's the blindspot of everyone in north america.

They are the only Android device manufacturer which makes positive profits, which makes them like the Apple of Android bro. If Samsung is in NA's blindspot, then the rest of Android doesn't even exist. All hail our iOverlords!

tbh as long as apple has full control over the design of their SoCs I think they'll always beat the snapdragon chips. The qualcomm ones might win out in certain aspects like gpu or something for a few months but then when the next gen A soc comes out like the A10 in this case, and A11 next year, etc... it will always win.

Google should make their own (lol jk).

why not both, 5 inches and 6 inches. None of them gimped :(

Yeah but GPU could end up being more important than single core performance someday especially with VR incoming.

The 820s GPU is extremely impressive and GPU has always been an area Apple pushes hard which makes Qualcomm even more impressive now. Apple will probably beat the Adreno but we really cant even say that for sure.

Yeah but GPU could end up being more important than single core performance someday especially with VR incoming.

The 820s GPU is extremely impressive and GPU has always been an area Apple pushes hard which makes Qualcomm even more impressive now. Apple will probably beat the Adreno but we really cant even say that for sure.

They also don't have to worry about GPUs for QHD phones.

longdi

Banned
We talkin bout S6 ending with N meanwhile I'm still waiting for goddamn marshmallow lol.

My friend Note4 is still on 5.0.1

While my Z2 is on 5.1.1.

I dont know about US or EUR but in Asia, Samsung OTA updates sucked more than Sony. It is why i am frustrated by Sony new X crap lineup.

I am literally forced to get Samsung S7E even though they have more quirks than Sony for my preference.

So I have one person who says that his 6p does not get hot, and one that says his does.

Anybody else with a 6p able to comment on this? I want to know if I should exchange mine as it gets very warm just casually surfing GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom