• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello AndroidGAF!

My Droid Moto X is starting to die on me.
The mute button no longer works, and I am forced to use the speaker phone for calls because apparently the handset speaker is no longer working. The volume adjustment buttons on the speaker phone volume actually do nothing too, the bar moves but the volume doesn't change.

I'm thinking that means new phone time!
I don't need anything like the latest phone. A serviceable mid-range phone will probably work.

I see the Best Buy has a couple of Droid phones for $1 with a 2 year contract.
The Maxx 2, the HTC One (M9) and the LG G4.

Any opinions on those phones?

If those are the choices then G4. You shouldn't even be considering the M9.

spwolf

Hello AndroidGAF!

My Droid Moto X is starting to die on me.
The mute button no longer works, and I am forced to use the speaker phone for calls because apparently the handset speaker is no longer working. The volume adjustment buttons on the speaker phone volume actually do nothing too, the bar moves but the volume doesn't change.

I'm thinking that means new phone time!
I don't need anything like the latest phone. A serviceable mid-range phone will probably work.

I see the Best Buy has a couple of Droid phones for $1 with a 2 year contract.
The Maxx 2, the HTC One (M9) and the LG G4.

Any opinions on those phones?

i would never get G4 because LG locks bootloader... thats going to mess with your future ability to install custom roms... might not matter today but it will in a year or so.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
The G4 is the right choice there.
--------------------------------------------------------------

This Google Maps Video Shows Android Without an App Drawer and People are Freaking Out

android-no-app-drawer.jpg

Ty4on

No app drawer could work. I always get really confused when I have to open it and the alphabetical ordering means it's always changing.

Wreav

Banned
there's zero reason for the app drawer when Android allows you to move icons off the "homescreen", unlike iOS. If you want that minimal look, just move them to screen 2 and beyond.

Mindwipe

there's zero reason for the app drawer when Android allows you to move icons off the "homescreen", unlike iOS. If you want that minimal look, just move them to screen 2 and beyond.

Wha?

You can move apps to screen two and beyond on iOS.

This is pretty much identical to the iOS situation.

Wreav

Banned
Wha?

You can move apps to screen two and beyond on iOS.

This is pretty much identical to the iOS situation.

You can't have an empty first screen on iOS. Most of the people that bitch about icons on the homescreen want an empty first homescreen for aesthetic reasons.

spwolf

Z5 launcher has both options... thats pretty good solution and it works quite well.

I find appdrawer usefully since for instance Z5 one can order apps by usage. But option without one has a search that also shows you most searched items, so that also works for me as well.

AndyD

aka andydumi
No app drawer could work. I always get really confused when I have to open it and the alphabetical ordering means it's always changing.

What's all the stress over app drawer about? Can't you just make it appear by gesture instead? And since you can make folders on the homescreens, why wouldn't you do several folders to catch all your apps on Screen 2-3 or whatnot and keep screen 1 clean? I guess I've been using Nova for so long (without a drawer icon) I don't even remember what stock does and does not.

The only reason I don't use Google Now launcher is because of no icon support and no grid size options. Even if those two features were eventually added, I wouldn't use it if the app drawer was removed. The lack of an app drawer is one of the worst things about iOS.

If this is real and not just a mock-up, hopefully Google does the right thing and makes it an option.

Last week: WTF LG you removed your app drawer? Haha what a dumb move no one will buy your phone.

This week: Oh N won't get app drawer? It's fine we can make do without it.

The Cult of Stock Android must test the faith of its believers regularly. This week is the removal of the app drawer. Let's see how strong your faith really is!

zewone

The lack of an app drawer is really stupid.

I'll use whatever launcher allows support of it if Google makes the bonehead decision to remove it.

ArchAngel

Why is the navigation bar black in the picture? It's transparent in the GNL ...

Maybe the quicksettings tab in the notification bar will be the new app drawer ^^

ito007

The Cult of Stock Android must test the faith of its believers regularly. This week is the removal of the app drawer. Let's see how strong your faith really is!
I am still a devout follower of the cult even without app drawers. Praise googs.

Besides if I really wanted it I got launchers

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
If the app drawer becomes the home button, even better. I don't want an iOS homescreen set up.

Even if Google removes it from GNL, at least you have the possibility and choice to get it back. That's what makes Android so good.

I removed the app drawer button on my Nova launcher and replaced it with a gesture.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Other than my lock screen I'm in specific apps 99% of the time.

I guess the home screen just isn't a big deal. The home screen or app drawer or whatever is just a means for me to get into Chrome or Gmail or Pocket Casts or Hearthstone.

I care way more about how my core apps look and behave quite honestly.

The G4 is the right choice there.
--------------------------------------------------------------

This Google Maps Video Shows Android Without an App Drawer and People are Freaking Out

android-no-app-drawer.jpg

So I had a thought about this, it would be kind of interesting if Google did remove the App drawer and had a 3 column layout for Google Now Launcher.

So right now you swipe right on your home screen to access Google Now, but in addition it will become swipe left on home screen to access apps like on iOS. As well as being able to scroll home screen up and down for different widget / short cut pages.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So I had a thought about this, it would be kind of interesting if Google did remove the App drawer and had a 3 column layout for Google Now Launcher.

So right now you swipe right on your home screen to access Google Now, but in addition it will become swipe left on home screen to access apps like on iOS. As well as being able to scroll home screen up and down for different widget / short cut pages.

Perhaps. Though swipe down could be the notification shade (not pull down on it, but scroll down anywhere on screen) and swipe up could be drawer, with left for GNow and right for pages as it is now.

I like that it doesn't take up as much space as some of the skinned OEM notification shades.

Honestly, Google should have done this sooner. I hope Android N is mostly Google adding a whole bunch of features that are in custom ROMs and OEM skins.

Saiyan-Rox

I like that it doesn't take up as much space as some of the skinned OEM notification shades.

Honestly, Google should have done this sooner. I hope Android N is mostly Google adding a whole bunch of features that are in custom ROMs and OEM skins.

They did say last year they were doing something along the lines of noticing other features didn't they?

N is already shaping up to be great just trying not to over hype it.

In other news Google still haven't fixed this disconnecting from the Wi-Fi bug sorted yet -_-

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

This is genius. Although I don't know how I'd feel about your widget use.

Oh hey, quick setting toggles that aren't implemented like crap. Thank Touchwiz.
More like thank custom ROMs. But yeah, this is definitely better. Though the current implementation would be fine if you could swipe down from the right side of the status bar to get straight to quick settings, like it used to be on tablets.

They did say last year they were doing something along the lines of noticing other features didn't they?

N is already shaping up to be great just trying not to over hype it.

In other news Google still haven't fixed this disconnecting from the Wi-Fi bug sorted yet -_-
Oh they did? I don't remember that. Cool then.

Saiyan-Rox

More like thank custom ROMs. But yeah, this is definitely better. Though the current implementation would be fine if you could swipe down from the right side of the status bar to get straight to quick settings, like it used to be on tablets.

Oh they did? I don't remember that. Cool then.

I think so :S I could be totally making it up.

Perhaps. Though swipe down could be the notification shade (not pull down on it, but scroll down anywhere on screen) and swipe up could be drawer, with left for GNow and right for pages as it is now.

I think this would confuse people as in every other application bar home screen you have to swipe from top but on the home screen you now have a new option. Might I suggest another way - the notification shade should come up from the bottom when you hold the home button down and the notification bar remain at the top. My thumb is usually at the bottom of my phone anyhow and I would have to do a little shuffle if the phone were any bigger to reach the pull down.

This is genius. Although I don't know how I'd feel about your widget use.

Well I hardly use widgets just clock and weather TBH but I can see others using them and given that the other 2 columns I described would be scrollable it would be kind of odd having the middle column non scrollable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom