• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jzero

So I have one person who says that his 6p does not get hot, and one that says his does.

Anybody else with a 6p able to comment on this? I want to know if I should exchange mine as it gets very warm just casually surfing GAF.

Dude honestly i replace my phone every year and they all get warm/hot. It's a thing phones do.

Dude honestly i replace my phone every year and they all get warm/hot. It's a thing phones do.

When there is conflicting reports, I like to dig deeper and make sure. I don't have the money to buy a new phone every year. This one needs to last me a little over 2 years at least.

Also, it is not always a thing phones do. My Moto E never got hot. The Note 4 I had before that never got hot. My iPhone 5 never got hot.

If its normal for the 6p and I shouldn't worry about it, then that's good and my question has been answered. Before your post though, I had only two answers that both said completely opposite things, so I would like someone else to chime in as well.

When there is conflicting reports, I like to dig deeper and make sure. I don't have the money to buy a new phone every year. This one needs to last me a little over 2 years at least.

Also, it is not always a thing phones do. My Moto E never got hot. The Note 4 I had before that never got hot. My iPhone 5 never got hot.

If its normal for the 6p and I shouldn't worry about it, then that's good and my question has been answered. Before your post though, I had only two answers that both said completely opposite things, so I would like someone else to chime in as well.

Do you like never play games on your phones? I can make my Note 4 feel like it's going to burst into flames by playing a game on it. It gets crazy hot and eventually throttles back. I've actually gotten it to the point where it would actually refuse to continue charging if plugged in because it got so hot that it disabled that just to cool down.

Aiii

So not worth it
My Xperia Z3 would shut down the camera after a good ten minutes of recording video because it would overheat.

ctfg23

So I have one person who says that his 6p does not get hot, and one that says his does.

Anybody else with a 6p able to comment on this? I want to know if I should exchange mine as it gets very warm just casually surfing GAF.
Mine gets pretty warm while charging, but other than that not really. Definitely not while on gaf. How long does it take for your phone to get hot?

Do you like never play games on your phones? I can make my Note 4 feel like it's going to burst into flames by playing a game on it. It gets crazy hot and eventually throttles back. I've actually gotten it to the point where it would actually refuse to continue charging if plugged in because it got so hot that it disabled that just to cool down.

I never play games on my phone.

Mine gets pretty warm while charging, but other than that not really. Definitely not while on gaf. How long does it take for your phone to get hot?

This is why I'm still here posting about my 6p. Your the second person to say that your 6p doesn't really get hot.

Mine definitely does. I'd say sometime close to 10 mins of browsing GAF and it starts getting hot. Seems to be centered around the area between the fingerprint sensor and the top of the phone.

ctfg23

I never play games on my phone.

This is why I'm still here posting about my 6p. Your the second person to say that your 6p doesn't really get hot.

Mine definitely does. I'd say sometime close to 10 mins of browsing GAF and it starts getting hot. Seems to be centered around the area between the fingerprint sensor and the top of the phone.
I just checked and my phone feels slightly warmer on the area you descibed but I wouldn't say it's hot.

coopolon

I've only had mine for around 2 weeks or so, but I have definitely had times where I am surprised how warm it is getting without doing any intensive. At the same time, I've been browsing gaf on mine for ten minutes and there is no warmth at all.

Edit: I just checked and it is slightly warmer around the fingerprint sensor but not hot.

Ty4on

Never trust singular opinions online. There's usually a spread between people who over and under report. For me that was the case with noise on PC equipment where I found most would vastly under report compared to me. Silent to me means I can't hear it two meters away and I had to learn that if anyone reported it being noisy then I would probably find it noisy even though 80% called it "silent". Noise measurements are not that useful because you can have stuff which buzzes or whines (note the 670 buzzing at idle).

Regarding the phone getting hot I'd check if there are any apps drawing a lot of power. If that's not the case you can maybe try a different browser like the snapdragon one recommended here. I personally found no improvement with it though and just reverted back to Chrome.
It could also just be the way the phone behaves. The Moto E is reasonably set up with a low powered CPU and GPU running at reasonable speeds. It's not terribly fast, but on the bright side it's really hard to get it hot. The Nexus 6P on the other hand has the S810 which in order to keep up with the all important benchmark scores was designed to use so much power it can't run at full speed for more than a few minutes before it starts throttling to save the battery and your fingers from excessive heat. It wouldn't surprise me if the issue is amplified by Chrome being surprisingly bad at javascript (which there is a lot of on modern web pages) and needing to tax the already inefficient S810 even harder. The Anandtech review also showed shockingly bad performance in a writing benchmark which could be a software issue with the S810. I'm not certain, but maybe it could be related to web browsing because the writing bench has a lot of text manipulation.
The M9, Note Pro and 6P are the only S810 devices on the graph IIRC. Weirdly some S808 devices like the LG G4 do way better, but that could be OEM optimizations as the otherwise similar 5X did even worse.
78708.png

Never trust singular opinions online. There's usually a spread between people who over and under report. For me that was the case with noise on PC equipment where I found most would vastly under report compared to me. Silent to me means I can't hear it two meters away and I had to learn that if anyone reported it being noisy then I would probably find it noisy even though 80% called it "silent". Noise measurements are not that useful because you can have stuff which buzzes or whines (note the 670 buzzing at idle).

Regarding the phone getting hot I'd check if there are any apps drawing a lot of power. If that's not the case you can maybe try a different browser like the snapdragon one recommended here. I personally found no improvement with it though and just reverted back to Chrome.
It could also just be the way the phone behaves. The Moto E is reasonably set up with a low powered CPU and GPU running at reasonable speeds. It's not terribly fast, but on the bright side it's really hard to get it hot. The Nexus 6P on the other hand has the S810 which in order to keep up with the all important benchmark scores was designed to use so much power it can't run at full speed for more than a few minutes before it starts throttling to save the battery and your fingers from excessive heat. It wouldn't surprise me if the issue is amplified by Chrome being surprisingly bad at javascript (which there is a lot of on modern web pages) and needing to tax the already inefficient S810 even harder. The Anandtech review also showed shockingly bad performance in a writing benchmark which could be a software issue with the S810. I'm not certain, but maybe it could be related to web browsing because the writing bench has a lot of text manipulation.
The M9, Note Pro and 6P are the only S810 devices on the graph IIRC. Weirdly some S808 devices like the LG G4 do way better, but that could be OEM optimizations as the otherwise similar 5X did even worse.

If I browse long enough on my Nexus 9 I can make it reboot it gets so hot.

My 5x just shuts down the big cores completely and lags terribly.

Nvidia/Qualcomm/Google are not figuring chrome out and I don't understand it.

3phemeral

Wow guys I may have figured out why android auto is so bad on the S6. I've only driven twice since then so I'm not 100% sure the issues are resolved. The issues being it would cut android auto out and just have an unresponsive blackscreen. You'd have to unplug and replug in. It happened all the time multiple times a drive.

Anyway I think it's samsung's built in "app optimization". I guess it was doing something to android auto WHILE it was running for reasons no human can comprehend. Nonetheless I disabled it and it has been ok for two drives. Don't want to get my hopes up though, will have to drive more.

Not surprised in the least. I'll have maybe 3 apps open, a workout app, music, and chrome and my music will frequently cut out because of the "memory optimization."

NeOak

Or they used better NAND.

Ixian

Not surprised in the least. I'll have maybe 3 apps open, a workout app, music, and chrome and my music will frequently cut out because of the "memory optimization."
Hated this about the S6. I listen to Pocket Casts while I'm driving around and if Google Maps's navigation instructions went on for too long, Pocket Casts would get killed, lol.

I bought it from Amazon, so exchanging will be pretty simple, I'll just have to switch back to my Moto E for a few day.

I'll probably do that just to be sure.
My 6P does not get got while browsing Gaf. It only gets hot while I'm playing a graphic intensive game, using it while charging, or if the flashlight is on for an extended period of time. It does get warm, but it's nothing to get worried about.

What game do you play that cause it to heat up that much? I play a lot of games on my Note 4 and it never gets too hot, but I don't play very many that are 3D so maybe that's it.

Only VR stuff with either Google Cardboard or Gear VR can get it excessively hot, and even then I don't think it has gotten hot enough to mess up performance or anything like that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there any way to get Google Play Music to recognize album artists? I have a bunch of soundtracks and they all obviously have many different artists on them, so instead of a simple "Various Artists" under the Artist tab they're all jumbled separately with each artist having a few songs per entry. Not to mention, it bloats up the number of artists to scroll through. All files are properly tagged with %album artist% and %band% tags.

Ideally it would be Album Artist>Album>Songs. So all soundtracks would be under "Various Artists" and then you would drill down to Album and then Songs.

Maybe my music library is odd because I prefer full albums for everything.

If I could make this work in the GPM app (I find most other apps ignore the album artist tag too) it would be preferable because the cloud storage they offer.

Ty4on

Or they used better NAND.
Derp, it's probably the saving/loading of files.
If I browse long enough on my Nexus 9 I can make it reboot it gets so hot.

My 5x just shuts down the big cores completely and lags terribly.

Nvidia/Qualcomm/Google are not figuring chrome out and I don't understand it.
There is something funny about web pages of all things being demanding.
I know much of it is all the code from fancy animation and the ads and trackers, but still.

Ixian

Is there any way to get Google Play Music to recognize album artists? I have a bunch of soundtracks and they all obviously have many different artists on them, so instead of a simple "Various Artists" under the Artist tab they're all jumbled separately with each artist having a few songs per entry. Not to mention, it bloats up the number of artists to scroll through. All files are properly tagged with %album artist% and %band% tags.

Ideally it would be Album Artist>Album>Songs. So all soundtracks would be under "Various Artists" and then you would drill down to Album and then Songs.

Maybe my music library is odd because I prefer full albums for everything.

If I could make this work in the GPM app (I find most other apps ignore the album artist tag too) it would be preferable because the cloud storage they offer.
You'd have to change Album Artist to Various Artists (or whatever you wanted) and then the actual Artist as Artist. It does absolutely recognize the Album Artist tag because I have albums setup like this. You can right click on your tracks then go to Edit Info to see how they are currently configured.

j-wood

So I'm really torn. I've had a Nexus 6 on VZW for over a year now, and while I love the phone (stock android and all that), i'm over the shitty camera (in low light situations), and the size of it. I really want a 5.1 or 5.5 inch phone.

So...I was thinking of the galaxy s7. I would just hate touchwiz and the slow updates. I would be keeping my N6, so I guess I could always try out the new android when it releases if necessary but, I haven't owned a galaxy since the s3. Touchwiz and all that still pure shit?

alr1ght

You'd have to change Album Artist to Various Artists (or whatever you wanted) and then the actual Artist as Artist. It does absolutely recognize the Album Artist tag because I have albums setup like this. You can right click on your tracks then go to Edit Info to see how they are currently configured.

Weird. Does it just ignore the tags on the tracks I uploaded? I'm 100% sure they're tagged correctly locally (unless google uses some non-standard tag for Album Artist).

Toki767

So I'm really torn. I've had a Nexus 6 on VZW for over a year now, and while I love the phone (stock android and all that), i'm over the shitty camera (in low light situations), and the size of it. I really want a 5.1 or 5.5 inch phone.

So...I was thinking of the galaxy s7. I would just hate touchwiz and the slow updates. I would be keeping my N6, so I guess I could always try out the new android when it releases if necessary but, I haven't owned a galaxy since the s3. Touchwiz and all that still pure shit?
It's serviceable.

I was never really impressed by stock though. Any time I installed a ROM or used a Nexus 7 I just wished for stuff that were in Samsung or LG's software that never made it to stock Android.

Weird. Does it just ignore the tags on the tracks I uploaded? I'm 100% sure they're tagged correctly locally (unless google uses some non-standard tag for Album Artist).

i have lots of various artist albums (lot of soca/reggae/dancehall compilations) updated and the artists show up fine and they're all tagged with various artists under album artist.

It's serviceable.

I was never really impressed by stock though. Any time I installed a ROM or used a Nexus 7 I just wished for stuff that were in Samsung or LG's software that never made it to stock Android.

ANDROID NUTELLA MULTIWINDOW BELIEVE

longdi

Banned

S7e with its fancy ufs2.0 and eight cores 4gb ram still switch apps fractionally slower than my z2...

If Xperia XP wasn't that disappointingly midranging...

alr1ght

i have lots of various artist albums (lot of soca/reggae/dancehall compilations) updated and the artists show up fine and they're all tagged with various artists under album artist.

Weird, mp3tag uses %album artist% instead of %albumartist% as the tag field which was screwing everything up. Odd, but problem fixed.

Ixian

Can't wait to finally get rid of micro-usb once I get the G5.
Having the reversible capable was nice, but I actually found this kind of a pain in the ass otherwise, since it meant acquiring more cables or adapters and if I didn't remember them I was out of luck because who else has USB Type-C cables with them lol. The chicken and egg problem is kind of a bummer but it's hard to ignore the abundance of micro USB cables out there.

The entire thing was made worse by the reports about how bad some USB Type-C cables/adapters actually are.

Jzero

Having the reversible capable was nice, but I actually found this kind of a pain in the ass otherwise, since it meant acquiring more cables or adapters and if I didn't remember them I was out of luck because who else has USB Type-C cables with them lol. The chicken and egg problem is kind of a bummer but it's hard to ignore the abundance of micro USB cables out there.

The entire thing was made worse by the reports about how bad some USB Type-C cables/adapters actually are.
I bought convertible cables They're seriously awesome since I just need one cable for everything.

Priz

So I went from T-Mobile at around $80-90 a month with a G1 -> Nexus One to Virgin Mobile at $25 a month with their Motorola Triumph. It worked OK but signal lacked so badly when travelling so I switched back to T-Mobile on the $30/month plan with a Galaxy S3 (paid in full on launch day). Had some issues so in October 2014 switched to Oneplus One. Been happy but lately the battery seems to have issues. The $30/mo plan fits me fine - I do sometimes go over 100minutes but I spend usually $5 or less a month when I do go over. Some months due to home network being crazy slow I don't use WiFi so I burn through all 5GB of data a few days before it's up. Last month I came close but was fine.

Thought about switching to an S7 Edge but the screen options are blank when I click upgrade on my account. Contacted T-Mobile support who said since I've been on the plan for 4 years I should just switch to the $65/month postpaid one for essentially the same features but unlimited calling, 6 instead of 5GB of data... And I get binge on & the streaming music stuff(neither of which affect me). I can't preorder the S7 Efge otherwise and prepaid don't qualify for that free VR Kit promo even if I buy the phone at full price. WTF?

Can anyone justify why I should spend $65/month on service over the $30 one I have currently? Is there a better deal? (I know about Straight Talk and such...)

TMo CS said:
So the only way you could order a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and keep your prepaid plan would be if you paid full price for the phone. The other thing is prepaid accounts are also not eligible for the promotional offers for the Samsung Oculus VR and the free 1 year Netflix subscription. I can see you’ve been prepaid for almost 4 years here. We appreciate your loyalty but if you don’t mind me asking is there any specific reason why you haven’t made the switch to postpaid? If you were postpaid you would make payments on this phone for 24 months or lease it for 18. And would be eligible for the promotional incentives too.

So I went from T-Mobile at around $80-90 a month with a G1 -> Nexus One to Virgin Mobile at $25 a month with their Motorola Triumph. It worked OK but signal lacked so badly when travelling so I switched back to T-Mobile on the $30/month plan with a Galaxy S3 (paid in full on launch day). Had some issues so in October 2014 switched to Oneplus One. Been happy but lately the battery seems to have issues. The $30/mo plan fits me fine - I do sometimes go over 100minutes but I spend usually $5 or less a month when I do go over. Some months due to home network being crazy slow I don't use WiFi so I burn through all 5GB of data a few days before it's up. Last month I came close but was fine.

Thought about switching to an S7 Edge but the screen options are blank when I click upgrade on my account. Contacted T-Mobile support who said since I've been on the plan for 4 years I should just switch to the $65/month postpaid one for essentially the same features but unlimited calling, 6 instead of 5GB of data... And I get binge on & the streaming music stuff(neither of which affect me). I can't preorder the S7 Efge otherwise and prepaid don't qualify for that free VR Kit promo even if I buy the phone at full price. WTF?

Can anyone justify why I should spend $65/month on service over the $30 one I have currently? Is there a better deal? (I know about Straight Talk and such...)

Look into Cricket too.

z3phon

Saw the S7 and Edge today at the samsung store, really confused about which one to get. The edge screen looks so nice and the phones smaller than the iphone plus which is great. The size wasn't as bad as the other bigger phones but I still had some trouble using it with one hand.
If I adjusted my hands to easily reach the top of the screen I had a hard time reaching the buttons at the bottom.

Saw the S7 and Edge today at the samsung store, really confused about which one to get. The edge screen looks so nice and the phones smaller than the iphone plus which is great. The size wasn't as bad as the other bigger phones but I still had some trouble using it with one hand.
If I adjusted my hands to easily reach the top of the screen I had a hard time reaching the buttons at the bottom.
You get used to it, trust me. I didn't think I'd ever want anything much bigger than my iPhone 6 but I've had a Note 5 for a couple months and I'm used to it now, plus you just sort of learn to use two hands for some stuff.

Aiii

So not worth it
Just ordered a 6P... After my Z3 commited suicide by pavement. Totally ready to go back to the stock Android and it's sweet instant updates and no-nonsense OS.

You get used to it, trust me. I didn't think I'd ever want anything much bigger than my iPhone 6 but I've had a Note 5 for a couple months and I'm used to it now, plus you just sort of learn to use two hands for some stuff.

I've never gotten used to big phones. I mean I'll use them, but ultimately when I go back to a smaller one it just feels better.

I've never gotten used to big phones. I mean I'll use them, but ultimately when I go back to a smaller one it just feels better.

Same. It's the reason I stopped using the X Play. I used it for quite a while before begrudgingly going to the S6.

Just too big. It was too noticeable in my every day life. Doesn't fit into my lifestyle/clothing and my hands aren't that big. It was just never ending inconvenience.

spwolf

Got my Redmi 3 the other day, around €180 shipped to Europe with all the taxes, etc.

Not a bad phone at all. Build quality is fine, display is good. Feels like plastic really, not metal.

But right now something is draining the battery and it is a bit sluggish despite what should be decent cpu. My old Moto G seems faster when launching apps. Latest update lowered Antutu to 28k (from 32k), apparently they throttle more.

I am not complaining too much, but right now as my old broken Z3 (my local service messed it up) can hold longer charge by considerable amount while doing same tasks, faster, it shows why brand names cost a little bit more.

Global rom should come next week and I will mess with it more. Already installed all the green apps (never did on Z3) to try to make it last 2 days in my scenario, and flashed deoxed rom.. it all looks pretty decent.

Selner

Hello AndroidGAF!

My Droid Moto X is starting to die on me.
The mute button no longer works, and I am forced to use the speaker phone for calls because apparently the handset speaker is no longer working. The volume adjustment buttons on the speaker phone volume actually do nothing too, the bar moves but the volume doesn't change.

I'm thinking that means new phone time!
I don't need anything like the latest phone. A serviceable mid-range phone will probably work.

I see the Best Buy has a couple of Droid phones for $1 with a 2 year contract.
The Maxx 2, the HTC One (M9) and the LG G4.

Any opinions on those phones?

Wreav

Banned
G4 is probably the best overall phone in that list. Had read some complaints about the Droid Turbo 2/Maxx 2 screen being too easily scratchable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom