• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Dont touch my app drawer. They are all there in a neat little out of sight spot. Fucking cant STAND homescreens chock full of folders and icons. Shits disgusting.

Wreav

Banned
Dont touch my app drawer. They are all there in a neat little out of sight spot. Fucking cant STAND homescreens chock full of folders and icons. Shits disgusting.

Function > form. Muscle memory > pretty wallpaper.

Although, with the current state Android icons are in, this will be a culture shock for many of you.

Exuro

So my brother needs to replace his phone. He only wants to spend $200 or less and he's on sprint. So far the only thing I could find is a used Galaxy S5 on amazon. Anyone have a better suggestion?

zewone

So my brother needs to replace his phone. He only wants to spend $200 or less and he's on sprint. So far the only thing I could find is a used Galaxy S5 on amazon. Anyone have a better suggestion?

Options for good, cheap off contract phones are very limited when it comes to Sprint and Verizon.

longdi

Banned
I factory reset my phone (Note5) about every 3 months and man does it feel great after doing it. The speed different is amazing.

Is Samsung phone that bad? I only clear my z2 cache after every firmware update. My z2 actually gets faster the longer i use because of the new firmware.

Is it be cause you installing tons of apps regularly? Wonder how I should be treating my new S7E...

Love the way the new notification draw is going to look... Ugh.. It's just perfect. The current one is good too but I'd rather one pull than a double tap or double pull for quick settings. Bigger phones like the Nexus 6P is not the ideal size for the current notification draw anyways.

I..... Can't deal with Android without a draw. The app draw keeps some of my non used apps under lock. And it's easy to search for. Unless they make it to be more gesture controlled rather than a dedicated button, I'll be okay... But completely removing it with no other option.... That would completely gut me.

keuja

I loved the no app drawer UI on my old Xiaomi phone but I understand that its not for everyone. They should just give the option to choose which mode you prefer.

Saiyan-Rox

They have a automatic installer, don't they?

They stopped that support a while ago if memory serves.

I rooted my S5, but what's the easiest way to install CyanogenMod?

This guide here will get you set up with recovery by the looks of it. once you have a custom recovery it's just a case of finding the ROM you want and flashing it

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699648

Just make sure you take a backup of that EFS folder and a full ROM backup just in case.

Crazyorloco

Is Samsung phone that bad? I only clear my z2 cache after every firmware update. My z2 actually gets faster the longer i use because of the new firmware.

Is it be cause you installing tons of apps regularly? Wonder how I should be treating my new S7E...

Your phone gets faster?! Damn lol i feel like these updates (especially on samsung phones) generally slow down the phone.

Yeah i do install a ton of apps, so that might be the reason my phone slows down so much after 3 months of usage. I do love the high end galaxy line though. The the specs, features, and the camera are well worth it.

Mindwipe

They need to take a tiny bit of whitespace weighting out of that - it's even less compressed than the cards are now - but otherwise that looks pretty cool.

That said I'm not convinced UI refinement in the OS itself is a good use of Google's resource right now, though I would like to see a bit more refinement to volume (it's still way to easy to knock a device from "vibrate only" to "do not disturb", and to fix the settings menu descriptions of notification sensitivity, which are misleading as hell for casual users.

Android needs UI work in the GAPPS and on tablets, not in the OS UI so much.

Saiyan-Rox

They need to take a tiny bit of whitespace weighting out of that - it's even less compressed than the cards are now - but otherwise that looks pretty cool.

That said I'm not convinced UI refinement in the OS itself is a good use of Google's resource right now, though I would like to see a bit more refinement to volume (it's still way to easy to knock a device from "vibrate only" to "do not disturb", and to fix the settings menu descriptions of notification sensitivity, which are misleading as hell for casual users.

Android needs UI work in the GAPPS and on tablets, not in the OS UI so much.

I'm hoping they do something more to the tablet UI with N swell but I seriously doubt it knowing Google.

Aiii

So not worth it
My Nexus 6P came a few hours ago... I'm in heaven.

With this and the watch, Huawei is now my jam, amazing hardware builders.

Saiyan-Rox

They discontinued it, from what I see.

Is flashing it easy? I just want stock Android on my phone.

As long as you have a custom recovery installed it's just a case of getting the rigth CM and Gapps and you're off.

Just be careful cause CM is never really bug free and if you use the fingerprint scanner i'm not sure if it works on CM as of yet.

Symphonia

Banned
As long as you have a custom recovery installed it's just a case of getting the rigth CM and Gapps and you're off.

Just be careful cause CM is never really bug free and if you use the fingerprint scanner i'm not sure if it works on CM as of yet.
Nah, I never use the fingerprint scanner. Would you be able to point me in the right direction of a decent stock ROM?

ParityBit

Any suggestions for wireless chargers for the S7 Edge? There are just so many to chose from.

1. Two that can go on the bed end tables and have them charge upright because my wife and I use them as clocks/alarms.
  2. Two pad types for us at our respective place of work.
  3. One fast charge for the living area.

Symphonia

Banned
Go here and click "devices" at the top and see if your S5 is listed as available for the Marshmallow Cyanogen http://www.cmxlog.com/13/angler/#

if not go to this link instead and search the same http://www.cmxlog.com/12.1/#

These are the most upto date builds of Cyanogenmod
I've download the GAPPS, the latest CM13 Nightly ROM, and TWRP. I already have my S5 rooted, as previously explained. Now what? This is my first time doing this.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Vivo Xplay 5 launched with 6 GB of RAM, Snapdragon 820 and dual-edge display

Vivo-Xplay5-teaser.jpg

The Vivo Xplay 5 Ultimate Edition has been officially launched in China, becoming the first smartphone in the world to ship with 6 GB of RAM. The Vivo Xplay 5 specs also include the Snapdragon 820, 128 GB of internal storage and a 5.43-inch QHD dual-edge Super AMOLED display just like the Galaxy S7.

The Vivo Xplay 5 features a metal unibody design, fingerprint scanner, fast-charging 3,600 mAh battery, Hi-Fi 3.0 dual stereo speakers and USB Type-C. With a specs sheet like this and a price tag around $650, you have to ask yourself: did Vivo just make a cheaper Galaxy S7 Edge?

If edge functions don’t bother you all that much anyway, Vivo has two Xplay 5 models up its sleeve: the standard model “Flagship Edition” with 4 GB of RAM and Snapdragon 652 Soc for 3,698 Yuan ($565) and the Vivo Xplay 5 “Ultimate Edition” with 6 GB of RAM and Snapdragon 820 for 4,288 Yuan ($655).

The Vivo Xplay 5 finger scanner can unlock from sleep in 0.4 seconds and from a screen-on state in 0.2 seconds. It runs Android 6.0 Marshmallow underneath Vivo’s FunTouch OS and you’re limited to just two color options: Rose Gold or Champagne Gold. The standard model is available for pre-order right now and the Ultimate Edition will reportedly go on sale on March 8.

blessings from our Chinese overlords

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom