• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrid

Banned
My 2nd Gen Moto G which I have owned for a couple of weeks was just updated to Marshmellow. My biggest issue with the phone was the 8GB of internal memory and not being able to move most apps to my class 10 32GB SD card. I format the card and now my phone shows as 40GB. I no longer have no memory issues and apps are still fast.

Apps are also launching faster now. Maybe the core app is on internal SD and the huge data files on my external SD. I don't care, I no longer have to manage space.

zewone

Bought a 6P. I really wanted AMOLED, front facing speakers, fingerprint scanner, and stock, and it hit all the boxes besides having a 810. I really wish there was an option for an 820 6P.

Too many issues with S7 (Touchwiz, updates, speakers) and Mi5 (MIUI, updates, LTE, speakers, LCD).

Time to sell my OP2.

Saiyan-Rox

The phone keeps getting stuck at the 'Downloading...do not turn off target' screen when trying to flash my TWRP to the phone.

Little late but you're in the wrong screen you should be in the boot loader rather than that download screen. That screen is for critical recovery. I don't know much about how Samsung work check XDA and see if someone who's done it can run you through what's needed.

j-wood

Are there enough positive reasons to get a 6P and sell my N6? I wish the 6P was in store so could get a grip on the size. Is it easier to manage than the N6? I really miss being able to use a phone one handed. Or fit in my car storage slot.

Are there enough positive reasons to get a 6P and sell my N6? I wish the 6P was in store so could get a grip on the size. Is it easier to manage than the N6? I really miss being able to use a phone one handed. Or fit in my car storage slot.

it's already March... if you're fine with your 6, just wait until the new Nexus drops this fall.

zewone

Best Buy has the 6P in store for you to try.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Looking at the XDA fourms, the G5 can't catch a break. Once again in the big shadow of Samsung

Pretty much. And Samsung has put together huge incentive packages to preorder with the providers so they will lock in a ton of customers. Even if LG comes up with a good offer, many will already have their S7 in hand.

Looking at the XDA fourms, the G5 can't catch a break. Once again in the big shadow of Samsung
does it really matter when they're all bombing? I'll be shocked if the S7 reverses the huge downward trend in high end sales.

The samsung device is solid in every single way. Including size! Software obv sucks but LG isn't better so it's a wash on that one.

WoodWERD

shit

i wanted that new xiaomi

but the pro version is not for sale right now

You're in China right? Where are you looking? I went to the gym yesterday and forgot about my 10am reservation/appointment(?) on mi.com. Seems the website will have another batch for sale next week.

Fatalah

My 2nd Gen Moto G which I have owned for a couple of weeks was just updated to Marshmellow. My biggest issue with the phone was the 8GB of internal memory and not being able to move most apps to my class 10 32GB SD card. I format the card and now my phone shows as 40GB. I no longer have no memory issues and apps are still fast.

Apps are also launching faster now. Maybe the core app is on internal SD and the huge data files on my external SD. I don't care, I no longer have to manage space.

Awesome! Marshmallow just increased the value of your phone. So glad Google finally made expandable storage useful, beyond media files.

I'm personally excited to rejointhe Motor X family. Lenovo is rumored to be moving up the Moto X's yearly release from end of summer, to possibly the beginning. #ibelieveinashton

Just don't go in thinking Nexus level support. Moto still drops the ball on 2nd year unlocked devices.

Bought a 6P. I really wanted AMOLED, front facing speakers, fingerprint scanner, and stock, and it hit all the boxes besides having a 810. I really wish there was an option for an 820 6P.

Well at the time, only Snapdragon 810 was available when the Nexus 6p was first developed.

Rest assured, the next Nexus phone will be guaranteed to have Snapdragon 820 inside. :)

Does anyone have any ideas why my S6's battery life just took a nose dive this week? Even if I don't use it and leave it in my pocket, it'll be dead by the end of the day. I've turned on power saving mode, but it doesn't seem to help. According to the battery menu, Google Play is the app using the most power (24%). I don't recall downloading anything noteworthy. Up until now I was pretty pleased with the battery.

yogloo

Does anyone have any ideas why my S6's battery life just took a nose dive this week? Even if I don't use it and leave it in my pocket, it'll be dead by the end of the day. I've turned on power saving mode, but it doesn't seem to help. According to the battery menu, Google Play is the app using the most power (24%). I don't recall downloading anything noteworthy. Up until now I was pretty pleased with the battery.
Wakelocks strikes again! Good luck finding whatever that is causing the problem. *shudder*

Gattsu25

Banned

Something similar to this was the straw that broke the camel's back with me and sansung way back in the day. They have this app called "AllShareCast Dongle S/W Update" that received a software update and when I had that app patched my phone would need a charge by 2pm during the workday (like you said, even if I kept it in my pocket the entire day) and the battery usage showed up under Google Play Services. However, when I uninstalled the update for the app (couldn't uninstall the app itself) my battery life would last me well into the evening.

I doubt that app even exists anymore (this was during the S3 days where every Touchwiz update added 5+ new Samsung undeletable apps without removing any of the old ones, so I was always on the lookout for any new Samsung cruft) but look for Samsung processes that have been recently updated.

Google Play Services has been killing my battery on my Note 4 for the past few days also. Don't know what's going on.

Sora_N

Anyone know if there's a launcher like Nova that lets me divide the app drawer or should I just pay for Nova Premium?

Also is there any good flashlight app with no ads?

Too many issues with S7 (Touchwiz, updates, speakers) and Mi5 (MIUI, updates, LTE, speakers, LCD).

Time to sell my OP2.

You will not regret it. Probably the best phone I've had yet.

I have to admit, that might be my biggest fear. I dropped my Nexus 5 so many times, I stopped counting early. Most of the times by falling from my bed, night stand, couch or out of my pocket. Yes, the frame has some dents and two cracks. Sometimes, the back pops off a little, but you can push it back in and everything is fine again. The glass never cracked, the display is fine, everything works.

I'd get a screen protector for the S7, but I really don't want to put a shitty case on it. Otherwise, what's the point of the premium build? Might as well go back to plastic.

Honestly, I really would love to try the G5 in hand. It's design and what is offers is very intriguing. I'm not replacing my 6P, but it has my eye.
Yeah, the G5 seems really cool, but I'd like to know what other attachments are coming. I don't really care about the camera module or the hi-fi sound one.

Once I get to play with one in store to see how good it feels (I'm used to bigger phones with my Note 4, but I'm open to going smaller) and if they come out with a good enough module (I'm hoping for one with front facing speakers and big additional battery) then I'll definitely be interested.

I have to admit, that might be my biggest fear. I dropped my Nexus 5 so many times, I stopped counting early. Most of the times by falling from my bed, night stand, couch or out of my pocket. Yes, the frame has some dents and two cracks. Sometimes, the back pops off a little, but you can push it back in and everything is fine again. The glass never cracked, the display is fine, everything works.

I'd get a screen protector for the S7, but I really don't want to put a shitty case on it. Otherwise, what's the point of the premium build? Might as well go back to plastic.

That's the problem isn't it? You want to protect your phone but you don't want to comprise the design of the thing. It's a tricky one.

I'm curious, is there such a thing as tempered glass protectors for the back?

This is a common android issue. It's up to you how far you want to go to resolve it. Either start disabling/uninstalling apps 1 by 1 or factory reset if it simply won't go away.

With that said, if "Google Play Store" is the one using all your battery, go into settings and application manager and disable it or uninstall updates. If it's "Google Play Services" using all your battery then that is even harder...try disabling location stuff and again try disabling apps one by one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Apparently Samsung fixed memory management in the S7 https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/48kmdj/got_my_s7_edge_today_i_can_confidently_say_there/

That Chinese phone has beast hardware but the software keys are a joke. Just continual proof that these hardware, spec first companies have no clue. Build a phone using beast specs but have awful taste in design. It's just like, as a company, what part of usability do you not understand? Sure, people will defend poor design as generally ok or pretend it's a preference of option. But they're struggling internally or don't care.

Apparently Samsung fixed memory management in the S7 https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/com...tly_say_there/

That Chinese phone has beast hardware but the software keys are a joke. Just continual proof that these hardware, spec first companies have no clue. Build a phone using beast specs but have awful taste in design. It's just like, as a company, what part of usability do you not understand? Sure, people will defend poor design as generally ok or pretend it's a preference of option. But they're struggling internally or don't care.
it's good that the battery seems better. It's honestly disgustingly bad on the S6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom