• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
After 24 hours with my new Nexus 6P I have to admit, it certainly lives up to the hype. What an absolutely splendid device. Those Chinese folks sure know what they're doing.

Aiii

So not worth it
It's almost like you should put a case on the phone that has glass on both sides. Shocking!

That's a design flaw then. I don't care if it looks nice, a phone will get dropped mildly from time to time, that's part of normal expected use for mobile devices and your design should be accommodating of that. Saying "well it just needs a case" is saying the design is abysmal.

Besides, if you need a case on it anyways, you might as well not bother and slap some cheap molded plastic on the back.

Wreav

Banned
Dropping a nearly all glass phone that is naked sounds like a user error to me, not a design flaw.

The schadenfreude of people who drop and break their phones is just too delicious for me. I've never used a phone naked, and never had a single crack on any phone over the last eight years.

People need to get over the fact that phones basically require cases.

Aiii

So not worth it
Except that literally everyone posting in this thread has dropped their phones more than once by accident at one point or another. Minor drops should be accounted for when constructing a phone.

It's like going "well, you're not really supposed to crash into another car with your car, so we might as well not include bumpers because we can make a much better looking car without them."

A phone needs to be able to survive normal use, dropping a phone from a coffee table or nightstand to a floor needs to be survivable, for instance.

And that's ignoring the whole fact that glass makes the phone infinitely more slippery, I can confidently state as a former Xperia Z3 owner.

Wreav

Banned
If that's how you feel about glass phones, then don't buy them. You have no room to bitch about them when they're a known quantity however. Glass isn't magically unbreakable because its use is on a phone. Using glass gains you things like wireless charging. If you can live with the weakness of glass to gain a cool feature, then so be it. Complaining isn't changing anything.

But again, with a decent case, minor drops aren't a concern anymore, so I have no sympathy for naked users that break their $800 shiny.

Toki767

People complained about plastic. Now people complaining about glass. I bet if they used aluminum people would be complaining about dents.

I really have to side with Aiii on this. Like I said before, your design and build quality is worth shit, if you have to put a case on it. You get absolutely nothing out of it.

Personally, I could easily live with dents in the frame, but if the glass on the back can't survive a small drop, then don't do it at all. It's the same reason I was so excited about the early Nexus 5X rumors, with the metal frame and wireless charging support. It sounded perfect for me, but the actual device had neither.

What I want to say is that finding the balance between premium and practical design is important. Throwing glass on the back of your phone, just so you can jack up the price for another 100 bucks doesn't make much sense to me.

My G4 just got stuck in a bootloop last night :(
Not sure if I can get LG (Mexico) to repair it on warranty since I bought it from eBay in the US. I was looking forward to maybe getting an S7 or a G5 since I'd like a fingerprint scanner, but not like this!!! Don't really wanna rush the decision.

Considering maybe getting a Nexus 6P too.

My G4 just got stuck in a bootloop last night :(
Not sure if I can get LG (Mexico) to repair it on warranty since I bought it from eBay in the US. I was looking forward to maybe getting an S7 or a G5 since I'd like a fingerprint scanner, but not like this!!! Don't really wanna rush the decision.

Considering maybe getting a Nexus 6P too.

Apparently it's a known issue with some models of the G4. LG has acknowledged it, so maybe they're more helpful in that case. I'd try to contact them.

Apparently it's a known issue with some models of the G4. LG has acknowledged it, so maybe they're more helpful in that case. I'd try to contact them.
Talked to them over support chat and they said they couldn't help me since I didn't buy the device from them.

Also considering moving to iOS just because I've heard great stories about their post sale support, regardless of where you got your phone, etc.

That's a design flaw then. I don't care if it looks nice, a phone will get dropped mildly from time to time, that's part of normal expected use for mobile devices and your design should be accommodating of that. Saying "well it just needs a case" is saying the design is abysmal.

Besides, if you need a case on it anyways, you might as well not bother and slap some cheap molded plastic on the back.
in nine years i have never had phone insurance and i have never broken a phone.

people need to take care of their expensive shit.

or buy a stack of burners.

Symphonia

Banned
Finally got Cyanogenmod 12.1 installed on my S5. It feels so good to have [what is essentially] stock Android again. It feels so much more responsive without TouchWiz installed, and all that Samsung bloatware gone.

Talked to them over support chat and they said they couldn't help me since I didn't buy the device from them.

Also considering moving to iOS just because I've heard great stories about their post sale support, regardless of where you got your phone, etc.

Perhaps you can try it again and point out that it's a known issue.

LG is also going to offer fixes for those who have bought defective devices and are still in warranty.

"Customers who are experiencing booting issues with their LG G4s should contact their local carrier from where the G4 was purchased or a nearby LG Service Center (www.lg.com/common) for repair under full warranty.

"Customers who purchased their G4 devices from non-carrier retailers should contact an LG Service Center with the understanding that warranty conditions will differ."

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone...-loop-problem-and-it-s-offering-a-fix-1313769

NotBacon

That Chinese phone has beast hardware but the software keys are a joke. Just continual proof that these hardware, spec first companies have no clue. Build a phone using beast specs but have awful taste in design. It's just like, as a company, what part of usability do you not understand?

Bingo. Hardware is only half the story. People forget that though and drool over the latest 99MP, Snapdragon760, 18gb RAM, phone anyways. And then they complain that it's just not good. And then bigger numbers come out and the cycle starts again.

Dropping a nearly all glass phone that is naked sounds like a user error to me, not a design flaw.

The schadenfreude of people who drop and break their phones is just too delicious for me. I've never used a phone naked, and never had a single crack on any phone over the last eight years.

People need to get over the fact that phones basically require cases.

If there's one person I hate to agree with.......but......

in nine years i have never had phone insurance and i have never broken a phone.

people need to take care of their expensive shit.

or buy a stack of burners.

Yep, same here.

I never drop my phones. Ever.

I actually do have insurance because accidents and whatnot but have never used it.

If there's one person I hate to agree with.......but......

Yep, same here.

I never drop my phones. Ever.

I actually do have insurance because accidents and whatnot but have never used it.

think about how much money you spent on phone insurance.

then think about where that money went...

1) profit

2) subsidizing the careless and clumsy people who used their insurance

Quixzlizx

I never dropped my Nexus 4 until it started overheating to the point where I had to take off the case, at which point it kept slipping off my bed because the glass back was so slippery.

Should I buy it now for that price and use it later if I don't have a Nexus phone at that time?

yes yes you should

I've also never dropped a phone in my life. I don't mind wearing cases though as long as they are good quality and very very very thin. But mostly only if I plan on re-selling the device. Screen protectors are a huge never for me.

OEMs should just focus their time on designing nice cases instead of wasting it on the phone's body. The iPhone 5S probably had the best body design and OEM case ever. That 5S leather case was god tier. Too bad I can't say the same for the hideous 6/6Plus body and leather case designs.

Speaking of Samsung, I wish they kept some of the Note 4 design on their new phones. That leather back looked good, felt good, had grip, and was durable.

OEMs should just focus their time on designing nice cases instead of wasting it on the phone's body. The iPhone 5S probably had the best body design and OEM case ever. That 5S leather case was god tier. Too bad I can't say the same for the hideous 6/6Plus body and leather case designs.

Speaking of Samsung, I wish they kept some of the Note 4 design on their new phones. That leather back looked good, felt good, had grip, and was durable.

I actually REALLY like the leather cases for the 6/6s. Very premium quality feel and very slim. Didn't add too much to the body.

Also the note 4 wasn't real leather it was faux leather plastic or something.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I haven't used Nova in forever but I feel like I should switch. Only because I'm bored.

HawkeyeIC

Looks like Photos is getting a bottom nav bar like Google+. I can get on board with that for all Google Apps as long as the bar auto hides when scrolling and you can still swipe between 'tabs'.

Ty4on

I never dropped my Nexus 4 until it started overheating to the point where I had to take off the case, at which point it kept slipping off my bed because the glass back was so slippery.
I have a plastic cage I use in bed :p

I haven't seen a lot of it lately, but I remember when it was new it would slide off of tables even if they weren't completely level.

After 24 hours with my new Nexus 6P I have to admit, it certainly lives up to the hype. What an absolutely splendid device. Those Chinese folks sure know what they're doing.
giphy.gif

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
LOL at Android continuing to evolve into iOS. Sweet. That's a good thing. Ten years later and we keep learning just how right Apple got it from the start.

I wish Apple would steal a few Android things, like changing default apps. Then the switch to iPhone 7 would be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom