• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL at Android continuing to evolve into iOS. Sweet. That's a good thing. Ten years later and we keep learning just how right Apple got it from the start.

I wish Apple would steal a few Android things, like changing default apps. Then the switch to iPhone 7 would be easy.
I think that will be available in ios10. It's not a dealbreaker for me but it would be useful... only time I would love it would be when I'm using email and I use the outlook app and that app lets you set the default browser to open links on. But system level would be cool.

But yeah Android stealing some things is great. Same when apple does it. Anyway, does anyone think adding nav bars to apps and whatnot is a precursor to getting rid of software buttons and just doing it like iOS apps do it.

I guess it will make more sense if google releases their own hardware to support changes like that.

Wreav

Banned
Anyway, does anyone think adding nav bars to apps and whatnot is a precursor to getting rid of software buttons and just doing it like iOS apps do it.

Apple gets away with no buttons because of double tap to multitask and universal backwards swiping gestures. Until Android has analogues, not so much.

Apple gets away with no buttons because of double tap to multitask and universal backwards swiping gestures. Until Android has analogues, not so much.
that's why I said they'll need to make their own hardware to support it but hey, eventually they'll implement 3d touch, that could replace a lot of things. They could easily do a phone with a home button.

WoodWERD

On the subject of durability, is the ceramic back on the Mi5 pro supposed to be much better than the glass back? Haven't bought a phone in a while and I've never heard of it.

Wreav

Banned
that's why I said they'll need to make their own hardware to support it but hey, eventually they'll implement 3d touch, that could replace a lot of things. They could easily do a phone with a home button.

I'll go against the grain here, but 3D Touch was the most overhyped and underdelivered feature in years. I'm constantly pressing either too hard or soft, or getting mispresses when I'm not even trying to use the damn feature.

I'll go against the grain here, but 3D Touch was the most overhyped and underdelivered feature in years. I'm constantly pressing either too hard or soft, or getting mispresses when I'm not even trying to use the damn feature.

The iPhone SE not having 3D touch is its nail in the coffin for 3D touch IMO.

Its bad enough for devs to support Android and IOS versions of their apps. Now apple wants them to add specific features that only works on SOME of their phones?.

Yeah right. Hopefully Android avoids 3D touch like the plague

like everything apple does it will be refined and perfected throughout the years. Lots of things they've implimented software wise were weak at first and later became much stronger (siri, maps, etc.... the list is long).

Also SE not having 3d touch literally means nothing. The reason it doesn't have it is because they want people to upgrade to the 7. They have to leave premium features for the premium phones so that upgrade path continues to exist.

I also hope android avoids it because android OEMs are devoid of good ideas and will never use it properly. But hopefully once apple perfects it they can copy it. Aint nothing wrong with that.

Nikodemos

I was pretty sure it would end up a gimmick and nothing else, especially since Apple decided to release gimped versions of their phones.

Wreav

Banned
The iPhone SE not having 3D touch is its nail in the coffin for 3D touch IMO.

Nah. This is just like the 5c not having Touch ID. Apple is sticking with 3D Touch for many years. Just because their lolpoor version doesn't have a flagship feature means nothing about that feature.

I also hope android avoids it because android OEMs are devoid of good ideas and will never use it properly.

Some idiot on Droid-Life was trying to convince me that 3D Touch has been present in Android since 2.0 today (he was talking about the software approximation based on total pixels pressed). I had to laugh.

Nah. This is just like the 5c not having Touch ID. Apple is sticking with 3D Touch for many years. Just because their lolpoor version doesn't have a flagship feature means nothing about that feature. .

Completely different. To make touch ID useful all it had to do was exist. It replaced PIN entry for unlocking an operating system so it was fucking awesome.

3D Touch is nice but doesn't solve a big problem and it takes support from way more devs to be useful. Not saying apple is not going to shove it down peoples throats because they will.

Small/Medium devs are gonna say fuck it (especially now with the SE) and having some apps use it and some that don't is not going to be fun for users.

bpfd

Whats the chances of getting a crap sim card from Sprint for my new 5X, and then having to spend 5 hours trying to get a new one only for them to want to charge me shipping to replace the defective one I got?

It's 100%

Whats the chances of getting a crap sim card from Sprint for my new 5X, and then having to spend 5 hours trying to get a new one only for them to want to charge me shipping to replace the defective one I got.

It's 100%

I don't understand a thing you just said.

Whats the chances of getting a crap sim card from Sprint for my new 5X, and then having to spend 5 hours trying to get a new one only for them to want to charge me shipping to replace the defective one I got?
go to a sprint store and demand a new one

Completely different. To make touch ID useful all it had to do was exist. It replaced PIN entry for unlocking an operating system so it was fucking awesome.

3D Touch is nice but doesn't solve a big problem and it takes support from way more devs to be useful. Not saying apple is not going to shove it down peoples throats because they will.

Small/Medium devs are gonna say fuck it (especially now with the SE) and having some apps use it and some that don't is not going to be fun for users.
the major apps that people will use it, they already do in different ways. And most people do use the same apps. With that said, 3d touch is a long game. And I'm sure it will be instrumental in apple getting rid of the home button eventually. But again, their strategy has always been iterative development. We wont know for 2-3 years.

the major apps that people will use it, they already do in different ways. And most people do use the same apps. With that said, 3d touch is a long game. And I'm sure it will be instrumental in apple getting rid of the home button eventually. But again, their strategy has always been iterative development. We wont know for 2-3 years.

I have 131 apps on my iPhone and way more of them have already implemented 3D Touch than haven't and we're what, a little over 5 months after the s model launch? A lot of those are from smaller devs too. In some ways I'm actually surprised at how quickly so many apps have updated to use it.

I get the long term brings more ideas but I dont see how any of them for 3D touch are that great or intuitive for the general public. On Android we already have seen three actions on the home button. Press and long press are the only ones that stayed. Swipe up disappeared because its not apparent enough for the user. I have seen so many people that are clueless they have a flashlight by swiping from the bottom on their iPhones. Now they have to press hard on the glass to get home? Yeah right. People are stupid

Now fingerprint readers under the glass so my hand is just recognized? Now that will be great!

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
People thought fingerprint sensors were worthless until they came to Android. You'll want 3D touch, too. It's genius. It still needs work but the potential is totally there.

I have always wanted a fingerprint reader ever since I saw it in the Atrix. Wanted it even more when i saw it in the iPhone. Became pissed I still didn't have it when I learned Apple bought the company that was in the middle of making it for the Nexus 6.

On another note I just got the brand new 2016 Sony X850D Android TV today. This thing is awesome. Picture is great, Android TV is great. Only con is the CPU is a tad under powered. Its nice not having any 3rd party devices hanging off the TV and not needing to switch inputs constantly. I can also chromecast to the TV when its off and wake it up since the OS has the google cast app.

Very impressed. People are going to stop buying streaming boxes on day 1 tv purchases. There will be no point.

Edit: Here's the set. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-x8...lack/4801600.p?id=1219824661812&skuId=4801600

Wreav

Banned
People thought fingerprint sensors were worthless until they came to Android. You'll want 3D touch, too. It's genius. It still needs work but the potential is totally there.

And then they tried the Atrix and never wanted to use fingerprint again until Apple actually did it right.

Husker86

It was first on an Android device. Like... by 2ish years too.

The first fingerprint sensors on Android phones were terrible. Android most definitely does not get to claim they were first in this case, even if true by technically having something that supposedly used your fingerprint to unlock the device.

And then they tried the Atrix and never wanted to use fingerprint again until Apple actually did it right.

Apple didnt do shit but pull out their wallets at the perfect moment.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...exus-6-was-nixed-after-apple-bought-authentec

The first fingerprint sensors on Android phones were terrible. Android most definitely does not get to claim they were first in this case, even if true by technically having something that supposedly used your fingerprint to unlock the device.

The company that made the fingerprint scanner for the iPhone was the same company that made the "terrible" fingerprint readers on Android. How weren't they first when the first Android phone had a fingerprint reader in 2011 that was made by the same company that made it for the iPhone 5s?

zewone

The fingerprint scanner on my Atrix broke in the first hour of owning the phone.

I cared so little about it I never even bothered to get it replaced.

It was so trash. Phone itself was pretty dope though.

Kind of like how Google had a mobile payment platform for years before Apple, and yet nobody wanted anything to do with mobile payments until Apple Pay was announced and released...

z3phon

With my S7 on the way and years being a iphone user can someone recommend me where to buy music from?
The google play music store doesn't seem to have a lot of stuff.

With my S7 on the way and years being a iphone user can someone recommend me where to buy music from?

You could try Amazon.

If you live in the US you can do YouTube Red which just downloads what you listen to on your phone as offline mixtapes. I'd imagine YouTube has everything you would want but not sure how much control you would have over the mixtapes

Talon

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...exus-6-was-nixed-after-apple-bought-authentec

The company that made the fingerprint scanner for the iPhone was the same company that made the "terrible" fingerprint readers on Android. How weren't they first when the first Android phone had a fingerprint reader in 2011 that was made by the same company that made it for the iPhone 5s?
Jesus, you're such a joker.

The Atrix experience was closer to Lenovo laptops than the tap fingerprint reader.

The Atrix experience was closer to Lenovo laptops than the tap fingerprint reader.

Whats your point? The same company was doing the tap fingerprint reader for Android until Apple stepped in and bought them.

People talk in this thread like Apple shit magic while it was already being made on a fricken Nexus device.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
ok since no one gave me their opinions here I went and ordered a 6P just because I couldnt let go of stock android. I hope its camera is up to par

Kind of like how Google had a mobile payment platform for years before Apple, and yet nobody wanted anything to do with mobile payments until Apple Pay was announced and released...

and they still don't, but Samsung Pay works almost everywhere because *gasp* they bought the company doing the best work, kind of like Apple did with fingerprint sensor.

or we gonna pretend that several OEMs weren't planning to use that same fp sensor before Apple bought the company?

also, Google *regressed* from any card working to some cards working.

i used to be able to use Google Wallet to tap and pay.

hey, at least CurrentC works lolrite?!?

Husker86

It doesn't really matter who made it. It actually worked and was a good experience when it came out on the iPhone.

kami_sama

Can't you download your song to your pc? If so, you can still use iTunes and upload it to play music, although I'm partial to Bandcamp, but it's mostly for indie music.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Can't believe we are still arguing that 3d touch is anything other than a gimmick. Some power users will find it saves them a bit of time or does something neat when they remember to use it, but I'd love to have the actual usage stats, most regular people will never use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom