• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindwipe

I'll go against the grain here, but 3D Touch was the most overhyped and underdelivered feature in years. I'm constantly pressing either too hard or soft, or getting mispresses when I'm not even trying to use the damn feature.

Yup. It's a badly conceived idea that only appeals to power users and just makes the UI too complicated for the average person. It's a weirdly un-Apple idea.

Given the new devices coming out not supporting it and making it unattractive to devs I can see it being quietly dropped entirely in the next three years. I would make a reasonable bet that there'll be an on-off toggle in iOS10 for it, and that'll default to "off" in iOS11.

Mindwipe

People thought fingerprint sensors were worthless until they came to Android. You'll want 3D touch, too. It's genius. It still needs work but the potential is totally there.

Not really, and crucially fingerprint scanners make the UI simpler and more intuitive. 3D touch can't really do anything else but the exact opposite.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not really, and crucially fingerprint scanners make the UI simpler and more intuitive. 3D touch can't really do anything else but the exact opposite.
Right now, I can see that. But as it becomes familiar, and design language grows to it, it'll get better. Material design gives depth. Good design can help these issues.

3D touch is right click on windows.

Mac no right click because it is complicated lol.
People don't right click. It's unintuitive. But give someone a button and they'll push it harder to go faster, make something jump higher, etc. It's natural.

If Apple added 3 buttons to the mac mouse, half the users in this thread would say Apple just perfected the mouse.

Apple is talked about more in here than Android is.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Since this is now a tech thread, how about that Amazon Echo Dot! Most exciting thing in tech this year so far.

I don't get the thing. You can only order it if you have an existing echo?

Also it's $90? Doesn't have a speaker?

Amazon basic speakers are cheap as fuck. Why can't it just have a small speaker? Why is the gadget $90?

Gadget itself seems cool, but I scratch my head at the pricing.

Wreav

Banned
I don't get the thing. You can only order it if you have an existing echo?

Also it's $90? Doesn't have a speaker?

Amazon basic speakers are cheap as fuck. Why can't it just have a small speaker? Why is the gadget $90?

Gadget itself seems cool, but I scratch my head at the pricing.

There are ways to order it without an Echo.

This is for people that want voice control/Alexa without the extra expense of an unneeded speaker. If I put this in my living room, I have in-ceiling 5.1 that negate the need for a Jambox type speaker. It also can plug into my reciever, allowing me to voice control Spotify through my audio system.

Also, these can be used in other rooms to extend the Echo voice command. I have Smartthings set up in my home, so being able to control my home automation by voice in an always-listening environment literally makes my panties wet. I think $90 is a killer price point.

Vanillalite

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/03/exclusive-an-early-look-at-redesigned-system-settings-in-android-n/

nexus2cee_Settings-Main-Scrolled.jpg

nexus2cee_Settings-Dev-options-Drawer-open.jpg

Vanillalite

There are ways to order it without an Echo.

This is for people that want voice control/Alexa without the extra expense of an unneeded speaker. If I put this in my living room, I have in-ceiling 5.1 that negate the need for a Jambox type speaker.

Also, these can be used in other rooms to extend the Echo voice command. I have Smartthings set up in my home, so being able to control my home automation by voice in an always-listening environment literally makes my panties wet. I think $90 is a killer price point.

$90 shouldn't be an extra expense for a speaker. That's what I'm telling you. Amazon could easily include a speaker at this price point.

This thing feels like something that should be $50-$60.

Wreav

Banned
$90 shouldn't be an extra expense for a speaker. That's what I'm telling you. Amazon could easily include a speaker at this price point.

This thing feels like something that should be $50-$60.

They're giving the full sized Echo some value, and that's OK when the Jawbone speaker of the same class sells for $299 (an expense I'd spend again in a heartbeat). The original Echo was priced well too, if you're knowledgeable about the bluetooth speaker market.

I literally wouldn't buy an Echo because I don't need a speaker, and now I'm buying a Dot because they gave me the product I wanted. Amazon wins.

Vanillalite

They're giving the full sized Echo some value, and that's OK when the Jawbone speaker of the same class sells for $299 (an expense I'd spend again in a heartbeat). The original Echo was priced well too, if you're knowledgeable about the bluetooth speaker market.

Amazon has their own basics lineup. I own an Amazon Basics speaker. It was cheap as fuck. No reason they couldn't have thrown one in this for next to nothing.

Wreav

Banned
Except when Amazon loses: http://www.dailydot.com/politics/amazon-encryption-kindle-fire-operating-system/

While Apple continues to resist a court order requiring it to help the FBI access a terrorist's phone, another major tech company just took a strange and unexpected step away from encryption.

Amazon has removed device encryption from the operating system that powers its Kindle e-reader, Fire Phone, Fire Tablet, and Fire TV devices.

The change, which took effect in Fire OS 5, affects millions of users.

Amazon has their own basics lineup. I own an Amazon Basics speaker. It was cheap as fuck. No reason they couldn't have thrown one in this for next to nothing.

Again, it devalues the full blown Echo. This isn't a hard concept. This is like the whole "no 3d touch on the 5se" discussion yesterday.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why would they remove encryption? Do they sense a government contract coming on? Weak.

Admodieus

3D Touch would be more useful if I could customize the shortcut actions for each app. For example, Narwhal (Reddit app) recently got a 3D Touch update. The second shortcut is to go to /r/all. I never browse /r/all. I would much rather be able to pick my top 4 most used subreddits as my 3D Touch shortcuts.

It's for this reason that I almost never use it, except for having better control over where my cursor is when typing words.

Wreav

Banned
3D Touch would be more useful if I could customize the shortcut actions for each app. For example, Narwhal (Reddit app) recently got a 3D Touch update. The second shortcut is to go to /r/all. I never browse /r/all. I would much rather be able to pick my top 4 most used subreddits as my 3D Touch shortcuts.

It's for this reason that I almost never use it, except for having better control over where my cursor is when typing words.

Yeah, this. Annoying that the touch actions for the phone app are just 3 favorites that you can't choose...no voicemail or missed call actions. Examples of this all over the OS.

This is where Android exposing "activities" would be a huge boon, but overall, I don't like the interaction method of hard pressing.

Bboy AJ

The render looks like crap. But with a proper designer, it could be awesome.

kinggroin

Banned
Alright I need some help. Got my new iphone 6S+ and cant figure out how to sync my photostream with my PC. Is it just itunes, cause thats not showing cloud stuff, just local files. I'm on the latest version of iOS FYI.

Wreav

Banned
Alright I need some help. Got my new iphone 6S+ and cant figure out how to sync my photostream with my PC. Is it just itunes, cause thats not showing cloud stuff, just local files. I'm on the latest version of iOS FYI.
That shit has been broken for 4 years, don't bother.

Requires the iCloud app, but really all you need to do is back your photo library up to iCloud, can recover/view files from there and works GREAT. Pay the $1/month for 50gb of storage.

Why are you posting this here?

BTW this works beautifully on Android.

Vanillalite

Gosh damn it.

Are you fucking with me or did you really bail? You told Doge and I you were selling the 6P just to use the 6 so you could spend all of your fun cash on Vive.

Wtf son

zewone

Got my 6P.

For some reason I can't sign into my Google account on RS Browser.. I didn't have an issue on my OP2.

Edit: figured it out. Marshmallow permissions are a bit strict.

Megasoum

Banned
Is there a way in the OS to specify which band of WiFi I want to use for a specific WiFi connection?

I bought a new 5ghz router for my house because my phone's wifi just flat out doesn't work on 2.4ghz if I have my bluetooth enabled wich is a pain in the ass.

By default the phone went back to 2.4 when I connected to the new router so I set it to force 5ghz in the Advanced settings on the phone which is fine when I'm at home but I assume that means that I will never connect to a 2.4ghz network? Since all the networks I connect to outside of my house are setup that way that doesn't work.

I also can't force it on the router's side (by disabling the 2.4ghz network) because I don't think the other wifi devices I use at home (tv, laptop, etc) supports 5ghz.

Is there a way in the OS to specify which band of WiFi I want to use for a specific WiFi connection?

I bought a new 5ghz router for my house because my phone's wifi just flat out doesn't work on 2.4ghz if I have my bluetooth enabled wich is a pain in the ass.

By default the phone went back to 2.4 when I connected to the new router so I set it to force 5ghz in the Advanced settings on the phone which is fine when I'm at home but I assume that means that I will never connect to a 2.4ghz network? Since all the networks I connect to outside of my house are setup that way that doesn't work.

I also can't force it on the router's side (by disabling the 2.4ghz network) because I don't think the other wifi devices I use at home (tv, laptop, etc) supports 5ghz.

One option would be to setup your 2.4 and 5 ghz networks with different SSIDs and have your phone connect to the 5 ghz network and your other devices to the 2.4 ghz network. Assuming you have a router that allows you to separate the two bands into different networks.

Megasoum

Banned
One option would be to setup your 2.4 and 5 ghz networks with different SSIDs and have your phone connect to the 5 ghz network and your other devices to the 2.4 ghz network. Assuming you have a router that allows you to separate the two bands into different networks.

Oh yeah, look at that... I had no idea you could do that!

Will do

Thanks!

Edit: Yup, that totally worked!

I love it when I can find an elegant solution to a problem lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom