• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So I've been rocking a Huawei Honor 5x for a bit now, coming off of a Zenfone 2. Can I just say what a pleasure this device is to use? Even though it's very similar stats, it is soooo much more smooth. Every function seems to be designed for ease of use. Even the one-hand-mode (compared to Asus' functionality) is incredible in that you can orient it for righties OR lefties!

I had to do some minor tweaking to app permissions and install Google Now Launcher, of course, but other than that it's just an amazing device. This is my first Huawei device but if this is indicative of their quality in general I'll be very interested in checking them out again next time I'm in the market.

This is a $200 phone that really feels luxurious to me.

reKon

Banned
So I've been rocking a Huawei Honor 5x for a bit now, coming off of a Zenfone 2. Can I just say what a pleasure this device is to use? Even though it's very similar stats, it is soooo much more smooth. Every function seems to be designed for ease of use. Even the one-hand-mode (compared to Asus' functionality) is incredible in that you can orient it for righties OR lefties!

I had to do some minor tweaking to app permissions and install Google Now Launcher, of course, but other than that it's just an amazing device. This is my first Huawei device but if this is indicative of their quality in general I'll be very interested in checking them out again next time I'm in the market.

This is a $200 phone that really feels luxurious to me.

damn this has one handed mode too? which other big android phones have the feature?

Dizzan

MINI Member
zMGo4C4.jpg

I got this. Unfortunately, it doesn't work too well on my phone :( FoV is weird so im getting double images

Which phone do you have?

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
damn this has one handed mode too? which other big android phones have the feature?
it's pretty awesome too! You can enable it so that the display is cut from 5.5 to roughly 3.5 or so, and can swipe it to the left or right side of the screen by swiping the navigation bar on the bottom.

It's a clever idea, even if I don't use it often.

Mindwipe

Why would they remove encryption? Do they sense a government contract coming on? Weak.

There's no hardware support for it, and the storage is slow as it is.

Any of the lower end Kindle Fire devices (and they're the ones that sell, the HD version are basically legacy at this point) are basically unusable with encryption enabled.

They should fix the hardware support on future devices, but they're right here. Nobody used it previously. It was broken. There's no point it being there otherwise.

Wreav

Banned
That viewmaster is such a weird product when Cardboard exists. Weird in the "why would you spend money on that" in the technical sense, clearly there's the nostalgia factor in play.

Does anyone know a way to hook up an android phone or stream data (watch a movie) android to android? Example would be using my phone as mass storage for my nexus tablet (no microsd card reader),

zewone

I'm trying to imagine what would make the M10 a compelling purchase.

It doesn't have stock Android.

It's very likely not waterproof.

It doesn't have a removable battery.

Micro SD is likely at least since the M9 had it.

It doesn't have front facing stereo speakers.

Unless it's really cheap ($400) with an 820, I don't get it.

Furyous

*Counters this argument*

It has:

Easy one handed use at 5.15 inches
Possible IR blaster
It's too early to assess speaker quality
Close to stock android
likely 32 GB of storage
Some form of water resistance
fingerprint sensor
4 GB of ram

At this point we've hit a wall with smartphone performance anyway so there's not much else left to improve.

zewone

*Counters this argument*

It has:

Easy one handed use at 5.15 inches
Possible IR blaster
It's too early to assess speaker quality
Close to stock android
likely 32 GB of storage
Some form of water resistance
fingerprint sensor
4 GB of ram

At this point we've hit a wall with smartphone performance anyway so there's not much else left to improve.
So, you're saying it has the same specs as the much more popular Galaxy S7 without any selling points like Samsung Pay, waterproof, best in class camera, Super AMOLED and it's releasing many months later. Again, why would someone wait?

HTC Sense is pretty much stock android ...and its pretty rock solid ....i had my M7 & M8, beside the camera, it a rock solid phone ....people get too caught up on spec and stuff.....HTC pretty good with there updates unlike Samsung ...

There aren't any reasons, that's why HTC is betting the company on VR. They know they are a dead company walking in their traditional market.

That HTC 10 looks great to me, aside from the front. Don't know why HTC seems to never center things.

Edit: Also, saw that Google killed the rumor of them ditching the app drawer. So like many guessed, it was just a mockup that hinted at nothing.

Furyous

So, you're saying it has the same specs as the much more popular Galaxy S7 without any selling points like Samsung Pay, waterproof, best in class camera, Super AMOLED and it's releasing many months later. Again, why would someone wait?

LCD screens last longer without the burn out issues of AMOLED. All Marshmallow devices that release in 2016 should have Android Pay support. Another reason to wait is there's no way this HTC device, as presently constructed and known, can cost as much off contract as the S7. I'm a very patient consumer and will wait until both devices receive the 15 minute Erica Griffing breakdown comparing screen quality, white balance, and color saturation. I'll watch two hours of reviews on both devices and decide from there.

If the HTC 10 battery is a good size it could be a good replacement for my Nexus 5x.

The 5x performance is shit but I want to keep USB C. I dono what it is about the G5 but it disappoints me.

Wreav

Banned
6P cam is pretty good (and that's not even a very good shot).

S7 is even better.

It's a good year for cameras. Nice tortie!

Wreav

Banned
I think everyone just associates chamfered edges with the iPhone 5 design, and that's where the visceral reaction comes from.

I think the 5 was the best industrial design we've seen to date, though.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
The M10 doesn't look so bad. But I hate how Apple made antennae lines trendy. They're ugly.

Just from the leaked hardware shots I can give you a list.

Nexus 2016 and note 5 are left. Hopefully moto can surprise

I don't see anything wrong with this hardware other than it not being different enough for some. Some people may not like the hardware buttons (i dont) and isn't the thinnest but other than that I'm not seeing it.

No one was expecting to see cool revolutionary hardware (under glass fingerprint reader?) until the Nexus 2016 or S8/Note5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom