• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

I don't see anything wrong with this hardware other than it not being different enough for some. Some people may not like the hardware buttons (i dont) and isn't the thinnest but other than that I'm not seeing it.

No one was expecting to see cool revolutionary hardware (under glass fingerprint reader?) until the Nexus 2016 or S8.

Great. Good for you. You're still interested in the device then, I'm not. And it has nothing to do with fingerprint sensor under the screen or anything to that extent.

Great. Good for you. You're still interested in the device then, I'm not. And it has nothing to do with fingerprint sensor under the screen or anything to that extent.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it or tell you that your are wrong. I was simply wondering why people don't like it. Seeing if I was missing something.

Rengoku

Perhaps what’s most interesting, yet not shocking, is that we still managed to find lag across the user interface, including random stutters and framedrops. Indeed, our go-to GPU profiling test showed many skipped frames when scrolling through the Play Store, significantly more than our 810 devices running stock or close-to-stock software (Nexus 6P, OnePlus 2). We’ve also encountered random input lockups where performance did not take a hit but we simply couldn’t interact with the UI for a few seconds (repeated instances on the camera app and settings menu, reported by two XDA editors).

Yeesh. Come on Samsung.

Wreav

Banned
Seeing as how the rest of the 820 fleshed out so well, it's really disappointing that we didn't get ultrasonic biometrics in the first half of the year.

uxznytT.gif

i use a lot of data. but for peeps that don't, RingPlus (a Sprint MVNO) has a sick deal on slickdeals. basically a $50 fee + $10 Top-Up for unlimited calls and texts with 500MB of LTE data and it's free except for exrta data. like literally just the $60 total you pay out initially if you use under 500MB of data a month.

there was also something in there about unlimited 2G data but i don't consider that usable.

this_guy

i use a lot of data. but for peeps that don't, RingPlus (a Sprint MVNO) has a sick deal on slickdeals. basically a $50 fee + $10 Top-Up for unlimited calls and texts with 500MB of LTE data and it's free except for exrta data. like literally just the $60 total you pay out initially if you use under 500MB of data a month.

there was also something in there about unlimited 2G data but i don't consider that usable.

So it's free except for the $60 part?

Does anybody know a good and reliable sound profile app that allows you to set a Silent profile but allow specific important numbers to bypass and ring if needed?

Hasney

Does anybody know a good and reliable sound profile app that allows you to set a Silent profile but allow specific important numbers to bypass and ring if needed?

Add them as favourites in your contacts, then click do not disturb and select the Priority Only setting.

Just heavily considered upgrading my Moto G gen 2 for a 16GB Gen 3, purely for more storage and less stuttering.

I've held off though, being four months out from when the Gen 4 is likely to be released, and also seeing the Turbo model, I've got a feeling the Gen 4 model might have a bump in specs, especially the CPU.

Wise choice to hold off (aside from the minor upgrades from Gen 2 to 3)?

Hasney

Amazon is bringing encryption back in the Spring. It was removed on OS5 last Fall, but the only reason it was noticed recently is because older devices started getting it.

So yeah, wasn't in response to the iPhone case right now at least. They just said it was an Enterprise feature that customers weren't using, which makes sense. If it's not on by default, I can't imagine people just not turning it on.

reKon

Banned
Just heavily considered upgrading my Moto G gen 2 for a 16GB Gen 3, purely for more storage and less stuttering.

I've held off though, being four months out from when the Gen 4 is likely to be released, and also seeing the Turbo model, I've got a feeling the Gen 4 model might have a bump in specs, especially the CPU.

Wise choice to hold off (aside from the minor upgrades from Gen 2 to 3)?

Yeah that or just get the blu life one phone if you don't mind the size.

Yeesh. Come on Samsung.

Lets just hope the jank isnt because of these skins like touchwiz dealing with mandatory Android Encryption for the first time...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hilarious. I'm sure Samsung loves this. Looks like google handing over all that money to the carriers may pay off.

VZW Customer: I saw on TV I can pay with Sasmung Pay can I do that?
VZW Employee: Yes, all these phones have Android Pay let me show you.

Capture2_zpsynqszgkx.jpg

Jigolo

Wonder how the OnePlus 3 will look. Might have to go that direction if they have a top shelf device under $400.

I'm kind of glad Hugo Barra and Xiaomi did what they did with the price of their phones. In my mind that puts pressure for the Nexus/Pixel phone to be priced like last year's 6P instead of like the 6. Moto too might keep that great price they had from last year.

OnePlus always make their devices cheap so I expect it to be in the $400 range again this year for good specs due to the Chinese pressure that is Xiaomi

Saiyan-Rox

I'm not concerned about their software. There will be cyanogenmod for it.

It does take a good while for CM to get stable enough to use as a daily though especially when the kernel sources and stuff aren't released to developers. OP still haven't done this yet have they for the OP2/X?

Have to admit I do kinda miss my OP2 and i'm not sure why.

It does take a good while for CM to get stable enough to use as a daily though especially when the kernel sources and stuff aren't released to developers. OP still haven't done this yet have they for the OP2/X?

Have to admit I do kinda miss my OP2 and i'm not sure why.

Not sure, I stopped following them once they shit the bed with the OP2. The OP3 will be mostly standard hardware though, so I'm sure it won't be as hard to make cyanogenmod for it.

Lagamorph

So I'm in the market for a new Android tablet, and have gotten it down to pretty much between the Pixel C and the Samsung S2.

I can get the 32GB WiFi Samsung S2 for £319 through work, whilst the equivalent Pixel C would be £399.

Spec wise the biggest difference between them seems to be the processor, with the Pixel C having the pull of the Tegra. The Pixel also comes with Android 6.0, whilst I'm not sure if Samsung have released that for the S2 tablet yet (or if they will).
The Pixel also has a much bigger battery from looking at them, though this comes at a tradeoff of being about a third heavier.

Anybody got any recommendations on significant differences between them? Or got experience on using them both?
Main uses are going to be for games, emulation and video playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom