• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saiyan-Rox

Not sure, I stopped following them once they shit the bed with the OP2. The OP3 will be mostly standard hardware though, so I'm sure it won't be as hard to make cyanogenmod for it.

I don't think they "shit the bed" with the OP2 they just got stupid with leaving something small out (NFC) for such a stupid reason and then they messed up with how they handled software.

I don't think they "shit the bed" with the OP2 they just got stupid with leaving something small out (NFC) for such a stupid reason and then they messed up with how they handled software.

Well 810 was a failed processor and the hardware was a downgrade in many ways like no NFC and poor speaker. Also their software team isn't big enough to support multiple phones and it doesn't look like they are doing anything to rectify that. I want them to go back to cyanogenmod for their next phone, but they won't.

Perhaps what’s most interesting, yet not shocking, is that we still managed to find lag across the user interface, including random stutters and framedrops. Indeed, our go-to GPU profiling test showed many skipped frames when scrolling through the Play Store, significantly more than our 810 devices running stock or close-to-stock software (Nexus 6P, OnePlus 2). We’ve also encountered random input lockups where performance did not take a hit but we simply couldn’t interact with the UI for a few seconds (repeated instances on the camera app and settings menu, reported by two XDA editors).

Wow. Just another reason to avoid Samsung products.

You had one job HTC. I really hope Google partners with them for the next Nexus. I can't help but think their design department will be like 'we had no idea you could do that....'

There's rumors going around that HTC will be working with Google on designing their next Nexus phones.

One Plus's main issue has nothing to do with their phone. They have 0 customer service. I don't give a shit how amazing the OP3 will be if I can't get anyone to ever help me if something happens.

One Plus's main issue has nothing to do with their phone. They have 0 customer service. I don't give a shit how amazing the OP3 will be if I can't get anyone to ever help me if something happens.

I just think of the phone having a 6 month money back guarantee with paypal. That's actually better than some other manufacturers thanks to paypal.

Weird question, but has the search bar in the app switcher always been there or am I noticing it only now, because I removed it from my home screen?

Jzero

do you switch it on all the time?
or only when your battery is hovering around 20% or something

Depends. If i'm going to concerts/music festivals or other really long events i turn it on from the start so that it can last all day. They only thing that sucks is that HDR photos take for ever on battery saver.

kami_sama

Yesterday my power button felt mushy all of sudden. Didn't know why it started doing that.
But as of 1 hour, it's started working perfectly again.
Stuck piece perhaps?

Hey guys, have an android installation question for the Nexus 7 (2013).

If I'm running cyanogenmod (lollipop), and wanted to do a fresh install of stock marshmallow, how can I go about that?

Can I download a factory image, store it on my nexus 7, and then install it using TWRP? Or do I require a computer to install this?

Would it just be easier to update the version of cyanogenmod? I'd really like to keep it stock. Seems like cyanogenmod can be glitchy at times.

Got Marshmallow on my Verizon Note 5 over the weekend and, got dang, this thing is amazing on here!

Fingerprint reader is insanely fast(not 6P fast but much closer) and accurate.
Overall snappiness is much improved.
Battery life is better so far for me.

Of course, I cleared cache and reformatted to start fresh.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Much Active
Soooo Busy
Very Lively

giphy.gif

reKon

Banned
Dead ecosystems beget dead threads.

Everyone's just waiting for their S7 to come in this week.

no one usually cares about the things I want to talk about in this thread. Instead this thread is all about everything that wrong with Android and how good Apple is at what they do. Let the thread die and the "sonic cycle" continue, I don't care.

BTW, the Galaxy S7 is a boss phone and if the software holds up (meaning minimal bugs), I can see myself using this as my phone for 3+ years. Can't really see what important features Android N would bring to phones. It's really Android N really should be about additional refinement and big features like multi-window / multi-tasking for android tablets.

Got Marshmallow on my Verizon Note 5 over the weekend and, got dang, this thing is amazing on here!

No joke, finally got MM today for the S6 and I'm blown away by how smooth it feels in comparison to 5.1.1. Might have taken a fucking year but the price/performance ratio with this thing is just so damn good now, especially if you're only shopping in the 5 inch range.

No joke, finally got MM today for the S6 and I'm blown away by how smooth it feels in comparison to 5.1.1. Might have taken a fucking year but the price/performance ratio with this thing is just so damn good now, especially if you're only shopping in the 5 inch range.

I was thinking the same thing.

I love upgrading phones often(I have a problem). However, I don't feel a need to jump to the Note 6(I'm sure some of that will change once I see the presser for it).

This phone feels so revitalized.

Bloodember

Must be nice, I'm on AT&T and haven't got my update yet.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the international version to get it cause Samsung have only released it in Cambodia and Iraq :/

Must be nice, I'm on AT&T and haven't got my update yet.

It is nice, and trust me, I understand not getting updates for awhile. I mean, I'm on Verizon.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for the international version to get it cause Samsung have only released it in Cambodia and Iraq :/

Wow, really? That's crazy that despite Samsung releasing it for international models it doesn't apply to all regions. Bummer.

Hope you both get it soon.

Have the opportunity to buy a Nexus 5X for £130, but it's only 16 GB. Not had a 16 GB phone with non-expandable storage since 2012. Is it liveable, or will I start hating it very quickly?

Currently using an Amazon Fire Phone with 32 GB internal, running Google Play Store and Services (plus Google Now Launcher).

Have the opportunity to buy a Nexus 5X for £130, but it's only 16 GB. Not had a 16 GB phone with non-expandable storage since 2012. Is it liveable, or will I start hating it very quickly?

Currently using an Amazon Fire Phone with 32 GB internal, running Google Play Store and Services (plus Google Now Launcher).
16GB nonexpandable storage in 2016 is garbage honestly.

Better off getting an Honor 5X tbh.

suplex

So my Verizon LG G3 shit the bed and just boots to a blue screen (when it decides to boot at all) Just happened randomly a couple weeks back while the phone was in my pocket. Doing a little research and it seems like a somewhat common problem, and it looks like no one has found a fix. Neither Verizon or LG want to replace the phone for free since it is out of the 1 year warranty. I think it's pretty garbage they sell me a phone with a two year contract that doesn't even last two years, but what are you gonna do. Anyways my two year contract is up in July, and my only option with Verizon seems to be buying a full price phone whether it's through them or getting something like a Nexus. I'm using my old Galaxy S3 in the meantime, and was hoping to be able to use it until July but it's so damn slow...

I was thinking about getting a Nexus 6P and just using it with Verizon until July and then figuring out what I want to do after that. But now with this Project Fi 5X deal, I'm wondering if it's possible to buy the phone with Fi for a month to get the deal, cancel the service, use the phone with Verizon until July, then switch back to Fi and transfer my phone number along with it.

My only real gripe with the 5X is the 32gb max storage with no SD card support. I realize the 6P doesn't have SD card support either, but at least it has a 64gb or 128gb option. Besides that is the 6P much better than the 5X? If so, I'd probably think about just getting that instead and not messing with the 5X deal.

Nesotenso

Has anyone over here ever sent their cellphone to motorola for repair? I dropped my nexus 6 and now the display doesn't work. I think I had limited warranty only for 30 days and so that won't cover this.

I was wondering what the process is like for sending the phone in for repairs and how much it costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom