• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got my first smartphone yesterday, a Oneplus one. Anyone wanna be my personal guide as to how to use these things? I have a million questions and I dont wanna litter the thread with my old man yelling at cloud comments. I've been using this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/new-android-make-smartphone-work/ it's pretty helpful but I still have some small issues that I'm sure is somewhere in the settings menu.

Welcome to the club. I joined about a eight months ago. Ask questions away dude. Enjoy the phone.i have lg g3 same year as yours.go to opo forms as well if needed.

tzare

So I got my first smartphone yesterday, a Oneplus one. Anyone wanna be my personal guide as to how to use these things? I have a million questions and I dont wanna litter the thread with my old man yelling at cloud comments. I've been using this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/new-and...artphone-work/ it's pretty helpful but I still have some small issues that I'm sure is somewhere in the settings menu.

link contacts to Google account so they can be restored easily.

If i were you i'd try a few apps you may be interested intensively for a few days , once decided which ones work for you, factory reset, and install just the ones you really want. Disable or unistall the rest.
Set location services to battery saving mode (data/wifi location only).
Try to keep it simple as possible (few widgets as possible) Use google photos or dropbox to backup pictures.
If limited data plan you can disable data for non esential apps (so they only use wifi) as well as set a limit/warning in the settings.

So I got my first smartphone yesterday, a Oneplus one. Anyone wanna be my personal guide as to how to use these things? I have a million questions and I dont wanna litter the thread with my old man yelling at cloud comments. I've been using this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/new-and...artphone-work/ it's pretty helpful but I still have some small issues that I'm sure is somewhere in the settings menu.
ask away, it's one of the purposes of this thread.

In dumbest news of the day, OnePlus spent 300k to be in House of Cards season 4.
I read that while I was at work and laughed. I haven't seen the season yet but does anyone mention the phone by name or is it just random angles of the phone?

this_guy

ask away, it's one of the purposes of this thread.

I read that while I was at work and laughed. I haven't seen the season yet but does anyone mention the phone by name or is it just random angles of the phone?

I binged watched the season and don't remember seeing the oneplus.

BHK3

Banned
How old are you?
Welcome to the club. I joined about a eight months ago. Ask questions away dude. Enjoy the phone.i have lg g3 same year as yours.go to opo forms as well if needed.

How do I get this shit to stop vibrating every time I click a letter?

How do I add more icons to the home screen? Right now it's 4x4 and I changed the settings to 5x5 but it's...i don't know just not doing anything.

It's better to just unistall all the base apps and download something else right? I read google hangouts for everything text message related and then just download your email providers app?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So I got my first smartphone yesterday, a Oneplus one. Anyone wanna be my personal guide as to how to use these things? I have a million questions and I dont wanna litter the thread with my old man yelling at cloud comments. I've been using this: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/new-android-make-smartphone-work/ it's pretty helpful but I still have some small issues that I'm sure is somewhere in the settings menu.
Ask whatever you want. My main advice is just to use it for a bit. Then ask us about things you dislike or wish to change.

Mindwipe

Everyone is going mad on Reddit about Android Pay launching in the UK, but it's obviously not happening this week. There's no press releases, the app isn't available from the store in the UK and only one UK bank lets cards be added, which then get immediately wiped.

Some stores are supposedly ready for this week, but it's obviously been delayed. And Google being Google don't communicate.

tzare

How do I add more icons to the home screen? Right now it's 4x4 and I changed the settings to 5x5 but it's...i don't know just not doing anything.

It's better to just unistall all the base apps and download something else right? I read google hangouts for everything text message related and then just download your email providers app?

1- settings - language & input - choose settings for the keyboard you are currently using, search for the option that enables/disables
2- it usually depends on the launcher you are using. Some are limited and allow almost no customization. Try nova launcher.
3- For sms/texting google messenger is probably the best option. Or stock one. As for email, it will depend on your provider, but gmail sometimes (depending on phone) supports exchange, or stock email app can be enough too (varies capabilities depending on OEM). Sometimes stock apps are good enough. Give them a try

google messenger is definitely recommended for sms (even by google lol). The best email app other than gmail IMO is outlook. Great exchange support, very easy to add accounts, and slick/simple overall design.

I also second the use of Nova launcher.

BHK3

Banned
1- settings - language & input - choose settings for the keyboard you are currently using, search for the option that enables/disables
ohmygod yes this is so much better thank you

2- it usually depends on the launcher you are using. Some are limited and allow almost no customization. Try nova launcher.
launcher?

I also second the use of Nova launcher.

launcher?
oh, and install google rewards, so you can earn some google play credit so you can buy some apps now and then.
Well I wanna install it so I can buy music but that leads into my next issue, how exactly do I play music on this thing? I did a test and connected it to my labtop(this usb 3.0 thing is so alien like) and dragged and dropped a mp3. I found the file manager on the phone and the song was in the music folder and it played. Though it's incredibily basic I need an actual music player. Googleplay wont let me even go past the $9.99 screen and spotify wants $9.99 as well for offline play, so what do I use to play my own music on the go? This is primarly the reason why I got it, as a music and texting machine.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks

Bloodember

launcher?

launcher?

Well I wanna install it so I can buy music but that leads into my next issue, how exactly do I play music on this thing? I did a test and connected it to my labtop(this usb 3.0 thing is so alien like) and dragged and dropped a mp3. I found the file manager on the phone and the song was in the music folder and it played. Though it's incredibily basic I need an actual music player. Googleplay wont let me even go past the $9.99 screen and spotify wants $9.99 as well for offline play, so what do I use to play my own music on the go? This is primarly the reason why I got it, as a music and texting machine.

Theres music players on the play store, also the oneplus one doesnt have usb 3.

tzare

launcher?

launcher?

launcher is the 'UI' or the interface each phone uses. Android allows to use whatever launcher you wish.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=ca

it allows for customization. Nova is one of the most popular and has some basic functions for free. Install hit home button and just select it as 'always'. Sometimes depending on owm you can select it from settings.

LeleSocho

Banned
In dumbest news of the day, OnePlus spent 300k to be in House of Cards season 4.

They burned their money, i know my stuff about smartphones and barely recognized it because every scene where the phone was there was super dark.
At least with the Vita it was super clear (and cringy).

BHK3

Banned
Theres music players on the play store, also the oneplus one doesnt have usb 3.
For some reason google let me in and it immediately detected my 1 song on the phone, success!!

I thought usb 3 was the thing where you can insert it any which way, top or bottom and it'll still read it.
launcher is the 'UI' or the interface each phone uses. Android allows to use whatever launcher you wish.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=ca

it allows for customization. Nova is one of the most popular and has some basic functions for free. Install hit home button and just select it as 'always'. Sometimes depending on owm you can select it from settings.
Eh, too much work, I tap my screen and it wakes up which is all I wanted from it.

Thanks for all the help guys, rest is just me figuring out how to use tabs and copy paste, makes me wish I had a stylus or something.

Bloodember

For some reason google let me in and it immediately detected my 1 song on the phone, success!!

I thought usb 3 was the thing where you can insert it any which way, top or bottom and it'll still read it.
Eh, too much work, I tap my screen and it wakes up which is all I wanted from it.

Thanks for all the help guys, rest is just me figuring out how to use tabs and copy paste, makes me wish I had a stylus or something.
No thats usb c, which in oneplus's case is usb 2. But the one plus one just has a reversible cable.

Jigolo

Thinking of upgrading my G3 to an S7 Edge. Worth it or waste of money?
That's a nice upgrade. 801 + 1440p wasn't the best decision. S7 is better in every way including software and I think both LG skin and Tocuhwiz are terrible. But LGs is the worst in my opinion

lem0n

G3 is still very capable but it is a 2 year old phone so I think it's not a bad upgrade.

That's a nice upgrade. 801 + 1440p wasn't the best decision. S7 is better in every way including software and I think both LG skin and Tocuhwiz are terrible. But LGs is the worst in my opinion

Right on, thanks for the replies! I hope my Tmobile store has an Edge in stock soon so I can mess around with it. Do you guys know if the S7 has a metal case or not? I really liked the feel of my HTC one m8 that I had (and was stolen).

Bloodember

Right on, thanks for the replies! I hope my Tmobile store has an Edge in stock soon so I can mess around with it. Do you guys know if the S7 has a metal case or not? I really liked the feel of my HTC one m8 that I had (and was stolen).
The S7 is glass. It might have a metal band that goes around it though.

j-wood

Is there anyone that went for a nexus 6 to the 6p? I LOVE the feel of the 6p over the 6, and I kind of hate how wide the 6 is. Really debating buying a 6p outright and trying to sell my 6.

longdi

Banned
AnTuTu-GPU-performance-scores.jpg

Oh snap! dragon!

47% faster?? Even Apple got smashed! Talk about comeback of Istanbul proportions, we are looking at PS4-Xbone difference right now?

What happened to Samsung's SExynos....the 820 makes mid-range phones like Xperia XP looks like a pro, i guess it is my karma for abandoning Xperia this year. :(

Jigolo

Calm down. I hope you won't be shocked every year.

Snapdragons go into production in Dec/Jan

A chips go into in June/July

Every year it's probably gonna be the same thing. A11 > 830 > A10 > 820 > A9

A six month gap of extra time in the oven is a bunch

daoster

I'm waiting for the G5 before taking the plunge on my next phone, but LG seems to have practically shut up about it after they initially announced it.

reKon

Banned
Calm down. I hope you won't be shocked every year.

Snapdragons go into production in Dec/Jan

A chips go into in June/July

Every year it's probably gonna be the same thing. A11 > 830 > A10 > 820 > A9

A six month gap of extra time in the oven is a bunch

yeah A10 is going to smash. At this point, I don't really care for everday use because even a snapdragon 801 with 2 GB of ram will fly. Strong GPU is more important now though for VR. Can't wait to try some of this stuff out.

Even more reason to be disappointed that Samsung is feeding their garbage SoC to the rest of the world, while the US gets the 820 for the same price.

What will Android use the increased performance for? Higher resolution panels (again)? Generally faster and smoother running. Bigger and better games?

Basically what I'm asking is, what is the 'big picture'? Microsoft will use this performance boost for Continuum, Ubuntu for their own 'one device' dreams. Apple use their power gains to make the iPad a more genuine productivity device, running more hardware-intensive software with split-screen multitasking. The other player (Jolla) probably won't be pursuing the high-end any time soon. What is Google working towards?

Genuine question. I realise the writing style comes across as a little abrasive.

reKon

Banned
What will Android use the increased performance for? Higher resolution panels (again)? Generally faster and smoother running. Bigger and better games?

Basically what I'm asking is, what is the 'big picture'? Microsoft will use this performance boost for Continuum, Ubuntu for their own 'one device' dreams. Apple use their power gains to make the iPad a more genuine productivity device, running more hardware-intensive software with split-screen multitasking. The other player (Jolla) probably won't be pursuing the high-end any time soon. What is Google working towards?

Genuine question. I realise the writing style comes across as a little abrasive.

For Samsung and LG, VR...

For Android as a whole, better multitasking and general smoothness, but they obviously need to get their tablet shit together. Remix OS makes Stock Android on tablets look embarrassing.

Increased performance is mostly important for VR (especially the GPU) and considering that Samsung has their own headset (in collaboration with Oculus), one would think that they'd try to enable the best experience across the board. Instead they're using a slower chip than Apple last year.

If you don't care about VR, there's little reason to be remotely upset.

LeleSocho

Banned
Even more reason to be disappointed that Samsung is feeding their garbage SoC to the rest of the world, while the US gets the 820 for the same price.

lolwut
a mere 3-4 months ago people would have given their firstborn child to have that kind of SoC in android devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom