• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeleSocho

Banned
That's like a year in tech and so far it doesn't change the fact that the 820 phone is the better one, despite costing the same.

Even one month ago would have been enough to be praised as a great SoC, if the 820 had the same exact performance of the Exynos no one would be complaining.
Also the difference is in the GPU only so yeah saying that the Exynos is a "garbage SoC" is an exaggeration to say the very least.

Even one month ago would have been enough to be praised as a great SoC, if the 820 had the same exact performance of the Exynos no one would be complaining.
Also the difference is in the GPU only so yeah saying that the Exynos is a "garbage SoC" is an exaggeration to say the very least.

Of course it is an exaggeration. But I thought it fits better with the theme of this thread.

And even a month ago the Exynos GPU performance would've been behind what Apple put out last year. It's a disappointment in that regard.

The fact that the 820 has the seemingly much faster GPU at the same price point (again, important for vr only) is the sole reason I'm complaining.

Toki767

Mother FUCK. I just read this as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/8/11176606/walt-mossberg-samsung-galaxy-s7-smartphone-review

If the carriers don't stop this shit they are going to destroy Android. It almost seems illegal to put Android phones through this but not Apple.

The thing is that Android manufacturers treat carriers like it's a life or death situation.

Whereas Apple doesn't care and carriers go to them to make sure the iPhone works on their network.

Samsung's big enough to where they could probably leverage the same thing as Apple, but for whatever reason, they just don't care to.

Wreav

Banned
Sammy is making money by placing those DirectTV ads in their ROM. All Samsung cares about is money. Make no mistake Apple cares about money very much, but there is a fit and finish to their products that speak to a different level of care.

The thing is that Android manufacturers treat carriers like it's a life or death situation.

Whereas Apple doesn't care and carriers go to them to make sure the iPhone works on their network.

Samsung's big enough to where they could probably leverage the same thing as Apple, but for whatever reason, they just don't care to.

Thats an assumption. Samsung may have been told to go fuck themselves unless they add specific bloat. No one can say for sure.

I think its pretty obvious other oems have.... The Moto X struggled to get on Sprint and Tmobile before Motorola finally said screw it and left all carriers entirely.

One thing to keep in mind now though is a lot of that carrier bloat cant act on its own terms anymore. Even if the app is baked into the rom it will still need to request permission manually like every other app. Marshmallow was a huge blow to carriers in that regard which is good.

Walt Mossberg is writing for The Verge now?

Has been for a while and has made them even more Apple biased than they already were.

The Samsung GS7 with with four more gigs of ram, 1200+ mah battery on the base model and 250 more mah battery on big screen veresion have better battery life than 2015 iOS flagships. Good for Samsung and holla at me this fall.

Do you read? I was clearly aware of the difference hence my parenthesis.

All software is different and yes clearly you need to throw more hardware at Android to make it run the same as IOS. Consumers also dont care about specs all they care about is if the battery lasts and it performs.

But if you want to talk numbers than why dont you add in the fact that Samsung phones are running a way higher pixel density which gives the hardware way more work to do than iPhones.

The Samsung GS7 with with four more gigs of ram, 1200+ mah battery on the base model and 250 more mah battery on big screen veresion have better battery life than 2015 iOS flagships. Good for Samsung and holla at me this fall.

Not going to mention four times the amount of pixels on the base and more cores to drive the phone? Also a brighter a screen?

The argument is stupid. Us tech enthusiasts care but the general population could give two shits. If you tell a consumer that a phone has more mah to have the same or better battery life they arent going to care. They just want battery life

I agree. That's why it's always so great seeing MKBHD imploring phone manufacturers(on either side) to make phones just slightly thicker to increase battery life.

I'm glad Samsung did it with the S7 and S7E.

Even though I'm no Apple fan I hope they do it on the 7. It's better for everyone to have amazing battery life.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So Apple seems to still be tops in the CPU department. Qualcomm wins with their GPU setup.

GPU power though is generally used to drive higher density displays in Android though so on screen performance comparatively doesn't have an advantage.

Furyous

But if you want to talk numbers than why dont you add in the fact that Samsung phones are running a way higher pixel density which gives the hardware way more work to do than iPhones.

Not going to mention four times the amount of pixels on the base and more cores to drive the phone? Also a brighter a screen?

The higher pixel count and brighter screen are negated by the more efficient SOC, ram, and battery capacity. Basically, my points still stand. Once again, feel free to up this post this fall as it's not fair in to compare a 2016 flagship with new silicon to another device that began production in September 2015. It's way too early to talk battery life on different platforms as the iphone 7 is not out yet.

Any LG G5 news on the horizon?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Also need to see that part 2 by Josh Ho cause I want to see more about performance. In particular I want some sustained performance numbers as we all know how that's been going in Android as of late.

The higher pixel count and brighter screen are negated by the more efficient SOC, ram, and battery capacity. Basically, my points still stand. Once again, feel free to up this post this fall as it's not fair in to compare a 2016 flagship with new silicon to another device that began production in September 2015. It's way too early to talk battery life on different platforms as the iphone 7 is not out yet.

Any LG G5 news on the horizon?

So is it fair to compare the iPhone 7 to the GS7 when that comes out? If not, then why bother doing comparisons at all?

And your point doesn't stand. Because if everything I said is negated, you can't complain about it.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is this a first where the new model is thickened for more battery? Let's hope Samsung finally sets a trend for once.

Don't know if anyone has heard of this, but Google currently has a sale going on in which you can purchase certain apps for $1 from the Google Play Store here.

Among those apps on sale happens to be some of the most popular apps there: The full version of Poweramp & Nova Launcher Prime. Make sure that you get these if you haven't yet!

Mother FUCK. I just read this as well.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/8/11176606/walt-mossberg-samsung-galaxy-s7-smartphone-review

If the carriers don't stop this shit they are going to destroy Android. It almost seems illegal to put Android phones through this but not Apple.

And this is why I rather spend more money to get a smartphone or a phablet that's automatically unlocked & has stock android (like with the Google Nexus phones).

Furyous

So is it fair to compare the iPhone 7 to the GS7 when that comes out?

Sure and that's my point. At least wait until the iphone 7 is released. 2016 flagship versus 2016 flagship is a fair comparison IMHO. Granted ios and Android are dramatically different but people like comparing battery life. *Yeezus shrug*

The Z6 is the device I want but unfortunately that's a good seven months conservatively away, allegedly.

*EDIT*

Marshmallow is out for the Z5. Can someone with a Z5 in here provide us with impressions of that Marshmallow greatness?

Sure and that's my point. At least wait until the iphone 7 is released. 2016 flagship versus 2016 flagship is a fair comparison IMHO. Granted ios and Android are dramatically different but people like comparing battery life. *Yeezus shrug*

The Z6 is the device I want but unfortunately that's a good seven months conservatively away, allegedly.

*EDIT*

Marshmallow is out for the Z5. Can someone with a Z5 in here provide us with impressions of that Marshmallow greatness?

It's still 6 months apart. How does being in 2016 even matter when it's the same amount of time apart and considering how fast tech moves?

Z series is dead bro.

So Apple seems to still be tops in the CPU department. Qualcomm wins with their GPU setup.

GPU power though is generally used to drive higher density displays in Android though so on screen performance comparatively doesn't have an advantage.
In single thread yes Apple's ahead.

But Apple sacrifices multi-thread performance for gpu power.

Kinda dissapointed with some of the 820 cpu benchmarks, but that gpu is a monster.

Kirin 950 and Cortex A72 looking good enough.

So is it fair to compare the iPhone 7 to the GS7 when that comes out? If not, then why bother doing comparisons at all?

And your point doesn't stand. Because if everything I said is negated, you can't complain about it.

Funny how some think it’s far more reasonable to compare something that’s coming 7/8 months’ time instead of one that was released 4/5 months ago.

March Security Update Suppose to Fix the Nexus 5X Jank

Source?

Edit: Found it. https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/49jwbs/ota_update_for_nexus_5x/

Fixes...

General slow/sluggish performance
DND next alarm disappearing issue
Improvements with Bluetooth
WiFi connectivity improvements
Carrier-specific bug fixes

Woot!

Funny how some think it’s far more reasonable to compare something that’s coming 7/8 months’ time instead of one that was released 4/5 months ago.

For some reason this Android thread is flooded with Apple fans

Aiii

So not worth it
I feel some people care way too much about geekbench scores on mobile phones anyways. It barely matters in 99% of what you do on your phone if you have the most recent fast cpu or last years fast cpu.

Congratulations, your phone scores 1339 points more on this arbritary test so Uber will boot about .05 of a second faster than on last years model, yay!

Instead of benchmark scores, imo the primary focus of what defines a good mobile cpu should be good optimization for battery efficiency.

suplex

How's T-Mobile / Sprint reception where you live. Don't they have offers where they'll 'buy out' your old contract if you switch?

My wife had T-Mobile and hated it but that was years ago. She has Sprint now and likes it, however anytime I use her phone the network seems slow.

If I was to buy a Nexus 5X or 6P I could use it on any network correct? And since there's no contracts, if the service is shit, I guess I can just cancel after a month, but I'd prefer to not jump all over the place.

For now I guess I gotta figure out if I wanna spend the money on a Nexus or stick out the GS3 until July.

reKon

Banned
I feel some people care way too much about geekbench scores on mobile phones anyways. It barely matters in 99% of what you do on your phone if you have the most recent fast cpu or last years fast cpu.

Congratulations, your phone scores 1339 points more on this arbritary test so Uber will boot about .05 of a second faster than on last years model, yay!

Instead of benchmark scores, imo the primary focus of what defines a good mobile cpu should be good optimization for battery efficiency.

truth

Groof

preach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom