• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife had T-Mobile and hated it but that was years ago. She has Sprint now and likes it, however anytime I use her phone the network seems slow.

If I was to buy a Nexus 5X or 6P I could use it on any network correct? And since there's no contracts, if the service is shit, I guess I can just cancel after a month, but I'd prefer to not jump all over the place.

For now I guess I gotta figure out if I wanna spend the money on a Nexus or stick out the GS3 until July.

Correct. Any Network.

It would be, if only Google wasn't so stupid and removed Qi charging.

#SkipYear2016

The nexus 5x was a 2015 phone.

Blackhead

Redarse
I feel some people care way too much about geekbench scores on mobile phones anyways. It barely matters in 99% of what you do on your phone if you have the most recent fast cpu or last years fast cpu.

Congratulations, your phone scores 1339 points more on this arbritary test so Uber will boot about .05 of a second faster than on last years model, yay!

Instead of benchmark scores, imo the primary focus of what defines a good mobile cpu should be good optimization for battery efficiency.

whs

most of the people look to internet to find out if their phone is good or not instead of just looking at the damn thing. society drives the perception so much. I believe that 2014 top phones are still sufficient for most of the people. They still make call can browse and take good enough pictures for Instagram of the world.

Android phones (phones not android) finally have better battery life than iPhones.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10120/the-samsung-galaxy-s7-review/2

there have been many many "Android Phones" that have even more battery life than those listed in that chart. Android is not just 5 phones. http://www.gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3

even in the chart you are listing mate is above iphones.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Nexus 5X finally becomes a usable phone. Nice. And now it's also $200, too. Good phone for the unwashed masses. If the Nextbit Robin had a better camera, though, I'd pick it over the 5X. It just looks so awesome.

Now I wonder if Google will lower the price of the Nexus 6p a bit, though I'll most likely wait to see what HTC will cook up on the next two Nexus phones (hopefully, they'll both use Snapdragon 820).

Saiyan-Rox

Source?

Edit: Found it. https://www.reddit.com/r/nexus5x/comments/49jwbs/ota_update_for_nexus_5x/

Fixes...

General slow/sluggish performance
DND next alarm disappearing issue
Improvements with Bluetooth
WiFi connectivity improvements
Carrier-specific bug fixes

Woot!

For some reason this Android thread is flooded with Apple fans

so the DND bug is fixed only on the 5X and not the others :S

Looks like we have to wait for next month for those fixes to hit the rest. Since that fix didn't make to to the others I wonder if the others did. this seems to be a pretty 5X update since it also added that colour option in the dev settings.

WoodWERD

This is a long shot, but I bought Nova Prime after seeing the .99 sale and I'm having an issue with my Mi3 (MIUI). I'm trying to add a settings shortcut to my home screen but every time I drop it on the desktop the settings menu opens and crashes. Is there another way to add a shortcut?

iavi

Now I wonder if Google will lower the price of the Nexus 6p a bit, though I'll most likely wait to see what HTC will cook up on the next two Nexus phones (hopefully, they'll both use Snapdragon 820).

If they dropped the 6p to 350 on Fi, I'd be over there yesterday.

But until then, my note 4 keeps chuggin.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I feel some people care way too much about geekbench scores on mobile phones anyways. It barely matters in 99% of what you do on your phone if you have the most recent fast cpu or last years fast cpu.

Congratulations, your phone scores 1339 points more on this arbritary test so Uber will boot about .05 of a second faster than on last years model, yay!

Instead of benchmark scores, imo the primary focus of what defines a good mobile cpu should be good optimization for battery efficiency.

Browser performance isn't near where we should want it to be even in real world terms. It's not near what even cheap laptops can bring.

That's not even talking about Games or VR, but a general use case that everyone with a smartphone has.

LeleSocho

Banned
Funny how some think it’s far more reasonable to compare something that’s coming 7/8 months’ time instead of one that was released 4/5 months ago.

???
You compare this year flagship with other flagships of the same year not the year before.
Or if you want to put it another way you compare phones of the same generation not through generations apart.

but usually it's the other way around... people in the USA crying about the crappy Snapdragon instead of beast mode Exynos.

From my experience in the last 3 years or so the ones who gets the Snapdragon complain about not having the Exynos and the other way around... grass is always greener on the other side yadda yadda.

There's a rumour out that HTC signed a 3 year Nexus phone deal with Google. That's one way to have your brand name mentioned when your phones tank.

Noema

Sold my 6p for $450. That's pretty damn good for a 32GB aluminum!

Gonna stay on my N6 OG since it's already paid off.

N6 is not a bad phone. It's still plenty fast and the camera is decent.

It's a hair too big and I wish it had a fingerprint scanner, but I can live with that.

rossonero

I'm interested of benchmarks to see how much better a new phone is relatively to my current. Also I'm allergic to dropped frames and lag, my LG G3 is horrible in that regard even with marshmallow.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Based Nexus 6. The most misunderstood phone ever.

Hasney

Based Nexus 6. The most misunderstood phone ever.

Still not finding a reason to upgrade. My finger has hovered over the buy button on a 6P a couple of times (and probably would have done it if Argos same day delivery had it in stock when I was a little drunk this one time).

"Galaxy S7 pre-orders reported as lower than S6 in Korea, despite free Gear VR"

I wonder how fast the price is going to fall this time around.

From my experience in the last 3 years or so the ones who gets the Snapdragon complain about not having the Exynos and the other way around... grass is always greener on the other side yadda yadda.

Why would a 820 user want an Exynos phone in this case?

tzare

not sure about today's benefits, but exynos seemed to have better cpu performance an throttle less than SD. GPU was better on Snapdragons...At least that was what people said about old Note 4(SD805 vs Exynos 5433). Also firmware updates seem to be released faster for Exynos devices.

I doubt there are huge differences though.

Bboy AJ

Koreans all aspire to the iPhone. No joke. It's a status symbol and they love status symbols. Samsung is doomed.

good! that's what they get for having a sealed battery and 3/10 on the ifixit repair scale!

no reason this year..

previously it was about power of Exynos vs more open nature of Snapdragon.

Koreans all aspire to the iPhone. No joke. It's a status symbol and they love status symbols. Samsung is doomed.

nothing can save the high end for samsung

beast specs and solid hardware aren't enough to make up for shitty customer service and touchwiz which people had way too many issues with starting when the S3 blew up. Since then people have made up their minds. If they are going to pay up they'll pay up for an iphone. Pretty much owns the high end.

Luckily samsung has enough money to continue the decline for years and years and years to come.

reKon

Banned
nothing can save the high end for samsung

beast specs and solid hardware aren't enough to make up for shitty customer service and touchwiz which people had way too many issues with starting when the S3 blew up. Since then people have made up their minds. If they are going to pay up they'll pay up for an iphone. Pretty much owns the high end.

Luckily samsung has enough money to continue the decline for years and years and years to come.

They have other areas where they are profitable too. It's not like they are taking losses on this.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
LG G4 here...

Is there some secret way to disable the speaker when headset is plugged in? I can't seem to find a solution to this.

Have even tried some apps that claim to do it...nothing works yet.

Specifically wanting alarms to play through headset only when plugged in.

inm8num2

Get a second Galaxy S7 or S7 edge from T-Mobile when you purchase one

Buy One, Get One. Once you've picked out and purchased your two new Galaxy S7 for $0 down on EIP—or feel free to mix and match with the Galaxy S7 edge—and add a line, you'll get the full retail price of the second, lower-priced device back as a prepaid debit card via online rebate. If choose two Galaxy S7 edge, you'll receive a rebate for the full retail value of that device. And when you buy two, families can get up to two Samsung devices on us.

Saiyan-Rox

Android N developer preview today? Android police has been hinting something big today and arstechnica is tweeting it.

Releasing before I/O?

I'm not too sure but I guess it would give them more time to look into the issues with it if there are any of course.

I just checked and don't see anything, am I being blind? (probably)

EDIT: You mean this? https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/49offf/surprise_the_android_n_developer_preview_is_out/

P6Gr8Gr.png

All credit to " The-King-of-Spain" Redditor

Saiyan-Rox

I dont think I want to flash it because it probably doesnt have the new 5x performance improvements. Guess my Nexus 9 can have it.

I'll be flashing once available I just can't help myself lol

Need that multiwindow on my Pixel C so I hope there;s an image for it.

Funny, I actually told an engineer that worked on Doze that it should happen more often than just standby (like IOS does all the time). She completely disagreed with me so I started giving her an example of where someone may be out doing things but not interested in using your phone because you are with friends etc. Why would I want low priority notifications? She was like that's a good point. I will let the team know your opinion. Ha!

Saiyan-Rox

Funny, I actually told an engineer that worked on Doze that it should happen more often than just standby (like IOS does all the time). She completely disagreed with me so I started giving her an example of where someone may be out doing things but not interested in using your phone because you are with friends etc. Why would I want low priority notifications? She was like that's a good point. I will let the team know your opinion. Ha!

It is a good point if I'm with mates I try not to use my phone unless necessary. My Android Wear helps with that lol.

It is a good point if I'm with mates I try not to use my phone unless necessary. My Android Wear helps with that lol.

Yeah no kidding. And eventually when you do need your phone to get home or whatever its dead because Stupid Crap Saga game was sending you notifcations all night you didnt care about.

I think the pros completely outweigh the cons. High priority only unless screen is on was a really good move.

Saiyan-Rox

Yeah no kidding. And eventually when you do need your phone to get home or whatever its dead because Stupid Crap Saga game was sending you notifcations all night you didnt care about.

I think the pros completely outweigh the cons. High priority only unless screen is on was a really good move.

I have a rule if a game sends me notifications or an app does it that's an ad in any way then it's gone

It's why I removed ES file explorer :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom