• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigolo

Wonder what time that was officially supposed to go up? Maybe 7 minutes from now. I like how early this is and the direction Google is headed. The shocker came yesterday when I saw a Google employee actually reads Reddit boards, lol.

Mindwipe

Yeah no kidding. And eventually when you do need your phone to get home or whatever its dead because Stupid Crap Saga game was sending you notifcations all night you didnt care about.

I think the pros completely outweigh the cons. High priority only unless screen is on was a really good move.

High priority works if I get to set high priority and not devs.

Messenging apps are high priority. Email apps are.

Spam notifications from apps aren't, but devs have a direct incentive to make them so.

Mindwipe

Wonder what time that was officially supposed to go up? Maybe 7 minutes from now. I like how early this is and the direction Google is headed. The shocker came yesterday when I saw a Google employee actually reads Reddit boards, lol.

There are members of the Android team that occasionally (rarely) post in /r/Android for a while. It's pretty much acknowledged that it's the best way to reach them at this point tbh.

Reckoner

Releasing before I/O?

I'm not too sure but I guess it would give them more time to look into the issues with it if there are any of course.

I just checked and don't see anything, am I being blind? (probably)

EDIT: You mean this? https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/49offf/surprise_the_android_n_developer_preview_is_out/

All credit to " The-King-of-Spain" Redditor

Did they tone down the flashy colors of material design a bit? Looks like it - if so, I'm glad it happened.

Aiii

So not worth it
Finally introducing the Windows-style multitasking, took way too long, glad I switched back to Nexus so I don't have to wait over six months to get this when it releases in the fall.

Ixian

Sold my 6p for $450. That's pretty damn good for a 32GB aluminum!

Gonna stay on my N6 OG since its already paid off.
Where'd you sell yours? I'm going to sell my 6P soon now that my S7 Edge is here and all setup. Probably going to do it on here or Swappa unless you have a better suggestion.

Looks like Google moving back to faster releases. AP quotes Lockheimer as saying final version out this summer. N seems to be what Marshmallow should've been. Looks awesome.

Jigolo

https://medium.com/google-developers/n-as-in-so-early-it-s-not-named-yet-f06bbde8c390#.k4jp2ts8f

The earliest preview yet.
Last year, we took a hard look at our 2016 plans, with an eye towards building a timeline that gives everyone the opportunity to make the next release of Android stronger. By releasing the first preview and asking for your feedback now (in March!), we’ll be able to act on that feedback while still being able to hand off the final N release to device makers this summer, so they can get their hands on the latest version of Android earlier than ever. Plus, you’ll be able to use this additional time to support all of the new goodies in N in your apps.

Maybe we'll get a Nexus device in August or September but I'm not holding my breath

They have other areas where they are profitable too. It's not like they are taking losses on this.

well that's what I'm saying, their phone business may not be doing well profit wise but they still make tons of money so they could flop for a decade still and be fine.

Look at Microsoft and windows phone is the bomb of all bombs lol.

Judging by the preview images released, it looks like Google is finally ending the support of the original Nexus 5.

Ah well. Hopefully they'll have some good devices out by Summer.

I realized today that, unless something major changes, I'll never buy/use a non-Nexus Android phone again. After suffering through a Note 2 and G3, this Nexus 6 has been super great, and even if there's a great new Nexus phone this year, I'd be mostly OK with this N6 for another 18 months.

Would definitely like a better camera and fingerprint sensor, though.

reKon

Banned
If Android N is ends up doing multi window right and Nvidia releases a sleek tablet running on the X1. I might forego buying a cheap chinese windows tablet and getting this tablet instead. It would honestly depend on if Remix OS is ported the tablet because that be an amazing option to have since it's way better than any android tablet efforts that Google has shown.

BahamutPT

BTW, for those unaware, there is a new Android Beta Program. You can enroll supported devices and receive an OTA update for the N preview instead of sideloading it. Even more: you will keep getting OTA Preview updates AND you will get an OTA for the official release when it comes out.

(This info is found here - http://developer.android.com/preview/overview.html - under OTA Updates through Android Beta Program)

Just enroll your device over at http://www.google.com/android/beta (still giving me 404, so not up yet) and you should get preview OTAs and official release.

I would be so in for this years Nexus devices at I/O, retirement plans have been made for my trusty N5, and while the Galaxy S7 and LG G5 look great, i'd rather have skinless Android and on-time updates.

SimleuqiR

Whose going to be the guinea pig for Android N on Nexus 6P? I'm wondering if it will break a lot of my daily apps.

Summer doesn't seem that faraway...even September. So I will probably wait for the official OTA.

That being said, are we getting a new Nexus device this summer with the release of N?

Saw this in the AP comments:

Also, if you're in recents and keep tapping the soft button, you will scroll through your apps one by one. Plus, double tapping the button switches automatically to the app you used previously.
I know some custom ROMs do this, so in glad to see it as a standard feature now.

Saiyan-Rox

BTW, for those unaware, there is a new Android Beta Program. You can enroll supported devices and receive an OTA update for the N preview instead of sideloading it. Even more: you will keep getting OTA Preview updates AND you will get an OTA for the official release when it comes out.

(This info is found here - http://developer.android.com/preview/overview.html - under OTA Updates through Android Beta Program)

Just enroll your device over at http://www.google.com/android/beta (still giving me 404, so not up yet) and you should get preview OTAs and official release.

Oh shit it's proper OTA from normal to beta? That's brill! But I wonder if they'll do the ancient rollout system way for it?

I mean we know it's a beta so push it out to everyone damnit

EDIT: I take it signing up to the beta means its won't get the OTA right away?

BahamutPT

Oh shit it's proper OTA from normal to beta? That's brill! But I wonder if they'll do the ancient rollout system way for it?

I mean we know it's a beta so push it out to everyone damnit

Yes, as long as you enroll your device on the Beta website, you'll get an OTA notification and you can go all the way:

Marshmallow > Preview 1 > P2 > P3 > P4 > P5 > Android N Final

Just registered my Nexus 6P and instantly got a notification with the OTA from Marshmallow to Preview 1! Really impressed with their new program so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom