• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT6| Huawei or the iWay [Nobody Reads Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

Oh shit it's proper OTA from normal to beta? That's brill! But I wonder if they'll do the ancient rollout system way for it?

I mean we know it's a beta so push it out to everyone damnit

Like the second I clicked "enroll device", I had a system update notification. hopefully updates are the same.

Saiyan-Rox

Yes, as long as you enroll your device on the Beta website, you'll get an OTA notification and you can go all the way:

Marshmallow > Preview 1 > P2 > P3 > P4 > P5 > Android N Final

Just registered my Nexus 6P and instantly got a notification with the OTA from Marshmallow to Preview 1! Really impressed with their new program so far.

Oh shit it happened right away? I'm sooo pumped :D doing it when I get home to both my pixel c and 6P.

I will say I was hoping for more tablet optimisation but it doesn't look like its gonna happen anytime soon.

BahamutPT

Oh shit it happened right away? I'm sooo pumped :D doing it when I get home to both my pixel c and 6P.

I will say I was hoping for more tablet optimisation but it doesn't look like its gonna happen anytime soon.

They say it may take up to 24 hours, but so far we have two cases of it being instant :)

It's a 1126.7 MB OTA for my 6P.

Since there are a bazillion stories about the dev preview on AP, i just got to that OTA Beta program right now ... that.is.brilliant!

Would be interested in trying this, but for the first time in nearly 5 years i don't have a supported device. ^^

Come on Google, you dropped OS megatons today, next drop some device megatons, i need a new phone!

Saiyan-Rox

As soon as I clicked enrol it was indeed instant

ooooh shit :D I wonder if this is a sign of things to come with faster updates when they're actually out? no more rollout crap

Hasney

CAF Browser doesn't work

tumblr_nrt120wzfZ1uxh8ndo1_500.gif

Saiyan-Rox

Well that's a lot of issues for the first N anyway. Just posting to give a heads up.

Oh and more issues at the link.

https://developer.android.com/preview/support.html#dp1
General advisories

This Developer Preview release is for app developers only and is designed for use in compatibility testing and early development only. Please be aware of these general notes about the release:

This release has various stability and performance issues on all devices that make it not suitable for daily use on phone or tablet, especially for non-developers.
System and app performance is known to be periodically slow / janky, and device may become occasionally unresponsive. These problems may become more acute with prolonged use.
Battery life may be regressed in this release for screen-on and screen-off use cases.
Some apps may not function normally on Developer Preview 1. This includes Google’s apps as well as other apps.
This early build is not Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) approved. Apps that depend on CTS approved builds (Android Pay for example) won’t work.
This preview release supports the following devices: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, Nexus 9, Nexus Player, and Pixel C.
Platform Issues

Performance and battery

System and app performance is known to be periodically slow / janky, and device may become occasionally unresponsive. These problems may become more acute with prolonged use.
Battery life may be regressed in this release for screen-on and screen-off use cases.
Dialer

Dialer app does not support Direct boot. This will be addressed later in N Developer Preview.
Voicemail playback does not work.
System UI

Some new or modified strings in the system UI are not translated to all languages.
Overview UI is still in development, and subject to change. For example, we intend to remove the timer that appears when the user switches between apps.
Settings controls and toggles may be slow or appear to be unresponsive.
Visual design of notifications is subject to change.
In the Gmail app, direct archiving of emails included in a notification bundle does not work properly.

Aiii

So not worth it
Everything seems to be working just fine from what I use. Some apps give a message on boot that they'd can't access a library, but function nonetheless, like Audible. Could if crashes for WhatsApp while it was restoring my backup media, but nothing after that, there's a restart button when a program crashes now, that's a welcome addition.

New notification screen is great. Quick Toggles!

Night mode is not my cup of tea, tried it for five minutes before going back haha.

Hasney

Its much slower than M right now, to be expected. Compounded even more by having to use shitty Chrome.

So far, just browsers and Uber not working though. Hopefully I dont need a cab.

Kind of tempted to buy yet another Nexus 5X, but I'm trying to hold off until more impressions about the new update come out. I feel like I'm not going to be able to use this MotoX 2nd gen throughout the Summer because the battery life is absolutely terrible and the camera is pretty crap as well.

Saiyan-Rox

Sadly, I don't have enough space on my 2013 Google Nexus 16 GB tablet...

Like I said earlier, I'll hold out on waiting for the next Nexus phone with Snapdragon 820 included. Perhaps Android N will be included automatically.

It will be

Nexus Phones always ship with a new version of Android

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Holy crap. What amazing news. Based Nexus life. L was my favorite update. M was brilliant because it refined L. N looks like it's adding all the features we wished M had, except the full backup restore.

I won't install it on my 6P yet. Seems too early, unlike the original L and M first previews. Those were already better than current stable builds.

Hasney

Holy crap. What amazing news. Based Nexus life. L was my favorite update. M was brilliant because it refined L. N looks like it's adding all the features we wished M had, except the full backup restore.

I won't install it on my 6P yet. Seems too early, unlike the original L and M first previews. Those were already better than current stable builds.

Yeah, after being in L and M, they're letting people in much earlier, both time wise and how the build feels so far. The other 2 were basically daily driver ready day 1 bar some niggles.

Saiyan-Rox

Flash on my Pixel C and didn't get that nice new wallpaper -_-

Settings screen so far is where I can see the biggest change. Comes with "Suggestions" at the very top of the screen.

Still not feeling the look of the notifications, but the functionality is miles better. Bundled notifications is awesome. Also glad they made quick reply an API so other devs can use it.

Flash on my Pixel C and didn't get that nice new wallpaper -_-

Settings screen so far is where I can see the biggest change. Comes with "Suggestions" at the very top of the screen.
http://i.imgur.com/2PaKvAm.png
http://i.imgur.com/lEK6VVu.png

Saiyan-Rox

Still not feeling the look of the notifications, but the functionality is miles better. Bundled notifications is awesome. Also glad they made quick reply an API so other devs can use it.

http://i.imgur.com/2PaKvAm.png
http://i.imgur.com/lEK6VVu.png

Nice, thanks!

Lol the setup screen on the Pixel C says "Protect your phone"

Oh shit you can choose not to have some Google apps installed on a new boot swell. there's a checklist you can unselect Google apps :O

Hasney

Performance isn't actually horrible. Takes a while to speed up after boot is all. Only real problem with performance is home screen redrawing now.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So glad there are pioneers in this OT. I'm waiting for you guys to give us the green light.

Aiii

So not worth it
Not noticing many issues at all. Quick reply already works for Whatsapp, pretty great, I think because the functionality for it already exists in bluetooth add-ons and Android Wear?

Battery life remains to be seen, I did a fresh and install, so that is eating too much power to give a fair estimate. Will see soon. Perfrmance on the 6P is great, not noticing any slowdowns other than ones related to downloading an installing 160+ apps.

All the new functionality is heaven and it doesn't even have the multi windows working properly, obviously. Android N is where Lollipop finally becomes an adult it seems.

Love the quick toggles, new notifications and the bastly improved settings screen.

Also, the restore of a backup on a fresh install is finally as it should be. Icons appear on the home screen as they were and it starts downloading every one of your apps, showing a progress notification to tell you how many apps remain. No more random downloading of apps, stopping for no reason, and question marks left. Good stuff, long overdue.

Same here. I don't want to brick my phone since it's my daily driver. Our time will come soon.
I would've went with Nutmeg, but whatever.

jwk94

So girlfriend's friend needs a new t-mobile compatible phone. She wants expandable storage and her budget is $200. What are her options? Shes going for an s5 but I told her she might have a few better choices. If it helps, we're ok with looking on eBay for used phones too. Thanks!

Priz

So girlfriend's friend needs a new t-mobile compatible phone. She wants expandable storage and her budget is $200. What are her options? Shes going for an s5 but I told her she might have a few better choices. If it helps, we're ok with looking on eBay for used phones too. Thanks!
Maybe the 5x? http://www.hihonor.com/us/products/mobile-phones/honor5x/

Read about it on (first one on the list) here - http://www.androidguys.com/2016/01/...eason-why-apple-is-going-to-struggle-in-2016/
That's what drew me to this phone. Friend who's daughter keeps removing the cases/screen covers we put on phones he gets for her (and then drops it shortly after) bought her one of these to save himself a little $.

ctfg23

Did anyone else get an error while trying to install the N beta? My phone rebooted after and now I have no update available despite still being enrolled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom